From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Mad Cyclist
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:00:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pDVfebEq3qU8c8HLQ3ODzRqnPFw=
 by: Brian - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:00 UTC

We live on a narrow, private road. It is just wide enough for one car. One
section is especially narrow, a high fence on one side and a hedge trees on
the other for perhaps 20 m. Plus, it is unmade at that part. Even in a
small vehicle, you need to go very slowing and stop before entering it to
let any pedestrians clear it etc. In our motorhome, great care is needed
just to clear the sides.

This morning, I popped out in the motorhome to fill up with fuel.

As usual, I stopped before entering the narrow section. All clear.

In my mirrors, I could see two cyclists coming up behind me, some distance
off.

No problem, no one ahead. So I entered, narrow section, at walking pace.

Half way through, one of the cyclists tried to over take me. The gap is so
small, my mirrors only just clear the fence / hedge.

Fortunately, I saw him.

These were adults.

Re: Mad Cyclist

<l8a93gFp36eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38191&group=uk.rec.cycling#38191

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Mad Cyclist
Date: 17 Apr 2024 15:44:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:44 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> We live on a narrow, private road. It is just wide enough for one car. One
> section is especially narrow, a high fence on one side and a hedge trees on
> the other for perhaps 20 m. Plus, it is unmade at that part. Even in a
> small vehicle, you need to go very slowing and stop before entering it to
> let any pedestrians clear it etc. In our motorhome, great care is needed
> just to clear the sides.

> This morning, I popped out in the motorhome to fill up with fuel.

> As usual, I stopped before entering the narrow section. All clear.

> In my mirrors, I could see two cyclists coming up behind me, some distance
> off.

> No problem, no one ahead. So I entered, narrow section, at walking pace.

> Half way through, one of the cyclists tried to over take me. The gap is so
> small, my mirrors only just clear the fence / hedge.

> Fortunately, I saw him.

> These were adults.

They seem to be adults in name only. No wonder some 1 in 6 of cyclist road
deaths result from single-vehicle accidents; it’s the ‘mustn’t lose
momentum at any cost’ syndrome, combined with a supreme attitude of
‘everyone else must take care of me’.

Don’t be surprised if you wind up as the star on cycling media horror-show
videos.

Well done on doing the right thing and keeping a watchful eye on the
situation.

--
Spike