From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: I am Getting Old
Date: 14 Sep 2023 08:41:35 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:41 UTC

I want to convert my Brave bookmarks file into something I can store and
manage.

I found a utility on Code Project to read the file and save it to a
DataGrid then create a TreeView. I played about and write something to
write it to an Access DB. Only problem is it wouldn't write to the DB for
some reason.

I have in my toolkit a "Class Generator" that I wrote which takes in the
fields in the format C# expects them, converts them to a common format
then creates a class file, updater file and Access database and table, it
wouldn't work though.

I headed off to Code Project and downloaded the version I put up there in
2011. Changed the location of the database, chucked the fields at it and
it wrote all the files, an Access DB and the Access table.

I then ran my bookmarks app and it saved 1,213 records.

I must have known what I was doing in 2011, sadly not so much now.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Re: I am Getting Old

<nk6dhi1mvoaghigaqvh8kqal6u5kl4hhbs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3852&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3852

From: mikehalmarack@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: I am Getting Old
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:37:46 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:37 UTC

On 14 Sep 2023 08:41:35 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

>I want to convert my Brave bookmarks file into something I can store and
>manage.
>
>I found a utility on Code Project to read the file and save it to a
>DataGrid then create a TreeView. I played about and write something to
>write it to an Access DB. Only problem is it wouldn't write to the DB for
>some reason.
>
>I have in my toolkit a "Class Generator" that I wrote which takes in the
>fields in the format C# expects them, converts them to a common format
>then creates a class file, updater file and Access database and table, it
>wouldn't work though.
>
>I headed off to Code Project and downloaded the version I put up there in
>2011. Changed the location of the database, chucked the fields at it and
>it wrote all the files, an Access DB and the Access table.
>
>I then ran my bookmarks app and it saved 1,213 records.
>
>I must have known what I was doing in 2011, sadly not so much now.

Very relatable situation. Not that I've ever been as smart as that.
I recently gave up my 13 year old computer, running Windows 10 and
moved to a new computer running Windows 10.

Trying to configure the new setup to match the old one and it's a big
struggle. A lot of the little I had upstairs has gone AWOL.
--

Mike

Re: I am Getting Old

<uf8gcd$o8qk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3857&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3857

From: Pancho.Jones@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 07:48:44 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 06:48 UTC

On 29/09/2023 10:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:

> Very relatable situation. Not that I've ever been as smart as that.
> I recently gave up my 13 year old computer, running Windows 10 and
> moved to a new computer running Windows 10.
>
> Trying to configure the new setup to match the old one and it's a big
> struggle. A lot of the little I had upstairs has gone AWOL.

I suspect we have forgotten how stupid we were :-)

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: I am Getting Old