So this is it. We're going to die.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: New version of the Wankel

SubjectAuthor
* New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
+* New version of the WankelXeno
|`- New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
+* New version of the WankelRod Speed
|`* New version of the WankelComputer Nerd Kev
| `- New version of the WankelRod Speed
+* New version of the WankelComputer Nerd Kev
|+* New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
||`* New version of the WankelComputer Nerd Kev
|| `* New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
||  `* New version of the WankelComputer Nerd Kev
||   `- New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
|+* New version of the WankelKeithr0
||+- New version of the WankelClocky
||`* New version of the WankelComputer Nerd Kev
|| +* New version of the WankelClocky
|| |`- New version of the WankelRod Speed
|| `- New version of the WankelRod Speed
|`* New version of the WankelClocky
| `* New version of the WankelComputer Nerd Kev
|  +- New version of the WankelRod Speed
|  `* New version of the WankelClocky
|   `* New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
|    `* New version of the WankelMighty Mouse
|     `- New version of the WankelClocky
`- New version of the WankelClocky

Pages:12
Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3864&group=aus.computers#3864

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Subject: Re: New version of the Wankel
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:15:16 +1100
<ksi9ehFjtt7U1@mid.individual.net> <uk0rmf$3fo6j$1@dont-email.me>
<ksidc1FknvmU1@mid.individual.net>
<1d09d692-c06f-4f5d-bb9b-f969e824dbadn@googlegroups.com>
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 09:15 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 12:28 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> I have 4 towers, no, make that 5 if you include the Mac Pro. None
>>> are younger than 12, most older - up to 20 years. All are pretty
>>> much old hat. The only reason you would need a tower case nowadays
>>> is if you were into gaming or the like and needed some heavy hitting
>>> hardware - and the room to plug it in. I am not in that category, at
>>> least not any more. Nowadays computers like the Mac Mini or laptops
>>> suit my needs.
>>
>> not interested in Macs, and I have a laptop but only use it when
>> traveling
>
> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,

I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg

> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.

I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item?  :)

> I inherited a ~10 year old Acer Aspire 15.4" laptop in like new
> condition, was running Win 8.0 so I removed the 500 GB HDD, inserted a
> 128 GB SSD, installed Linux mint 22 and it runs like a racehorse.

yep. I have 128 Gb Samsung SSD I replaced from my Acer Laptop with a
bigger one. think I will use that in the Linux machine, not that it
really needs it.

>>> Need a Windows machine, NUCs fill that need more than satisfactorily.
>>
>> really?
>>
>> https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23790956/intel-nuc-compact-pc-discontinued
>>

> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out
> there. A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the hundreds,
> then onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy profit. For
> instance;
>
> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs

that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for what I
want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room connected
to the TV's. don't use them much tho.

>>> Need more than one beast on your desktop? Use a KVM.
>>>

>> I use a KVM. I have everything setup how I want.

the KVM I use is electronic. just press one button to switch between
machines.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktb2cfFo2juU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3865&group=aus.computers#3865

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:57:18 +1100
<ksi9ehFjtt7U1@mid.individual.net> <uk0rmf$3fo6j$1@dont-email.me>
<ksidc1FknvmU1@mid.individual.net>
<1d09d692-c06f-4f5d-bb9b-f969e824dbadn@googlegroups.com>
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Xeno - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 10:57 UTC

On 6/12/2023 8:15 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> not interested in Macs, and I have a laptop but only use it when
>>> traveling
>>
>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>
> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg

I see you have a beige floppy drive in your black box. I retained a
couple of those but, in the towers I have remaining, I have black face
IDE 250 MB Zip drives. Much nicer that those old 1.4 MB floppy drives.

>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>
> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg

Leftovers from the dark ages by the look of it. I forsook the beige box
decades ago, black is beautiful around here

> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item?  :)
>
>> I inherited a ~10 year old Acer Aspire 15.4" laptop in like new
>> condition, was running Win 8.0 so I removed the 500 GB HDD, inserted a
>> 128 GB SSD, installed Linux mint 22 and it runs like a racehorse.
>
> yep. I have 128 Gb Samsung SSD I replaced from my Acer Laptop with a
> bigger one. think I will use that in the Linux machine, not that it
> really needs it.

It really makes an underpowered laptop, or desktop, sit up and take
notice. A fast one can be wasted on a slow SATA interface though.

>>> really?
>>>
>>> https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23790956/intel-nuc-compact-pc-discontinued
>>
>> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out
>> there. A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the hundreds,
>> then onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy profit. For
>> instance;
>>
>> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs
>
> that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for what I
> want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room connected
> to the TV's. don't use them much tho.

My Mac Minis are a small form factor, very handy for saving desktop space

>>> I use a KVM. I have everything setup how I want.
>>>

> the KVM I use is electronic. just press one button to switch between
> machines.

Ditto, but the ones I use have keyboard combination keystroke switch
over as well. And one is even graced with a *remote control*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktbbq7Fs3baU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3866&group=aus.computers#3866

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:38:12 +1100
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<ktb2cfFo2juU2@mid.individual.net>
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:38 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 8:15 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint
>>> on the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>>
>> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
>> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>
> I see you have a beige floppy drive in your black box.

why not

> I retained a couple of those but, in the towers I have remaining, I
> have black face IDE 250 MB Zip drives. Much nicer that those old 1.4
> MB floppy drives.

I have a Zip 250 MB in one of my main computers also

>>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>>
>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>
> Leftovers from the dark ages by the look of it. I forsook the beige
> box decades ago, black is beautiful around here

yeah whatever

>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item?  :)
>>
>>> I inherited a ~10 year old Acer Aspire 15.4" laptop in like new
>>> condition, was running Win 8.0 so I removed the 500 GB HDD, inserted
>>> a 128 GB SSD, installed Linux mint 22 and it runs like a racehorse.
>>
>> yep. I have 128 Gb Samsung SSD I replaced from my Acer Laptop with a
>> bigger one. think I will use that in the Linux machine, not that it
>> really needs it.
>>
> It really makes an underpowered laptop, or desktop, sit up and take
> notice. A fast one can be wasted on a slow SATA interface though.

>>> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out
>>> there. A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the
>>> hundreds, then onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy
>>> profit. For instance;
>>>
>>> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs
>>
>> that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for
>> what I want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room
>> connected to the TV's. don't use them much tho.
>
> My Mac Minis are a small form factor, very handy for saving desktop space

>> the KVM I use is electronic. just press one button to switch between
>> machines.
>>
> Ditto, but the ones I use have keyboard combination keystroke switch
> over as well. And one is even graced with a *remote control*.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: New version of the Wankel

<op.2fjcevr1byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3867&group=aus.computers#3867

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 01:41:09 +1100
<ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 14:41 UTC

On Wed, 06 Dec 2023 20:15:16 +1100, Mighty Mouse
<squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

> Xeno wrote:

>>> not interested in Macs, and I have a laptop but only use it when
>>> traveling
>>
>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>
> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>
>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>
> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)

No value at all.

>> I inherited a ~10 year old Acer Aspire 15.4" laptop in like new
>> condition, was running Win 8.0 so I removed the 500 GB HDD, inserted a
>> 128 GB SSD, installed Linux mint 22 and it runs like a racehorse.
>
> yep. I have 128 Gb Samsung SSD I replaced from my Acer Laptop with a
> bigger one. think I will use that in the Linux machine, not that it
> really needs it.

>>> really?
>>>
>>> https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23790956/intel-nuc-compact-pc-discontinued
>>
>> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out there.
>> A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the hundreds, then
>> onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy profit. For instance;
>>
>> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs
>
> that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for what I
> want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room connected
> to the TV's. don't use them much tho.

>>> I use a KVM. I have everything setup how I want.
>>>

> the KVM I use is electronic. just press one button to switch between
> machines.

Re: New version of the Wankel

<6570e94f@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3869&group=aus.computers#3869

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
References: <krhm9vFgffsU1@mid.individual.net> <ksi9ehFjtt7U1@mid.individual.net> <uk0rmf$3fo6j$1@dont-email.me> <ksidc1FknvmU1@mid.individual.net> <1d09d692-c06f-4f5d-bb9b-f969e824dbadn@googlegroups.com> <ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me> <ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net> <ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com> <ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
Date: 7 Dec 2023 07:36:16 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:36 UTC

In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>
> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>
>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>
> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)

People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
Plus the rust is real too.

Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
_case_ advertised for $110:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816

From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381

They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011

Well it seems the more I procrastinate the more they're worth, but
like old cars it's all a matter of how much they rust away while I
wait!

Also this is posted, as usual, from a Pentium 1 beige box PC in a
case that looks somewhat similar to your 386 one. Booted into
Linux (an old version, but it is able to boot into a current
Linux distro Live CD), but also with Win98 installed on a second
HDD (used mainly to run software for old parallel port and ISA
electronics-related hardware devices).

>>> really?
>>>
>>> https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/11/23790956/intel-nuc-compact-pc-discontinued
>>
>> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out
>> there. A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the hundreds,
>> then onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy profit. For
>> instance;
>>
>> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs
>
> that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for what I
> want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room connected
> to the TV's. don't use them much tho.

SBCs (single-board-computers) work out cheaper than things like the
Intel NUCs, and are often lower power consumption too. Of course
you do then have the project of making/buying a case and figuring
out how to set the software up.

Besides the ARM-based ones like the Raspberry Pis, there are some
x86_64 SBCs out there which can be a much more power-efficient
replacement for an always-on desktop PC.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: New version of the Wankel

<6570e9dd@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3870&group=aus.computers#3870

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
References: <krhm9vFgffsU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net> <ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com> <ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net> <op.2fjcevr1byq249@pvr2.lan>
Date: 7 Dec 2023 07:38:38 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:38 UTC

In aus.computers Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2023 20:15:16 +1100, Mighty Mouse
> <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)
>
> No value at all.

A quick look at sold listings on Ebay proves you wrong.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: New version of the Wankel

<op.2fjyctgmbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3871&group=aus.computers#3871

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 09:35:07 +1100
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<op.2fjcevr1byq249@pvr2.lan> <6570e9dd@news.ausics.net>
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:35 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote

>>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)

>> No value at all.

> A quick look at sold listings on Ebay proves you wrong.

No it does not with the one he has.

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktcd6qF74iiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3872&group=aus.computers#3872

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:08:07 +1100
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net>
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:08 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
>> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>>
>>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)
> People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
> with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
> selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
> that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
> get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
> Plus the rust is real too.
>
> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
> _case_ advertised for $110:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>
> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>
> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011

very interesting. thanks for that. I will see what I have I can sell!
the biggest problem with such large items is the packing and shipping.

this is the best company I've found for shipping ..
https://au.interparcel.com/ they give you quotes from all the major
carriers, then you just pick the one you want

> Well it seems the more I procrastinate the more they're worth,

it seems if you keep anything long enough it becomes worth something to
collectors

> but
> like old cars it's all a matter of how much they rust away while I
> wait!

fortunately I can store items without that problem.

this is the PC I currently use .. https://auslink.info/pics/speccy1.jpg

>>> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out
>>> there. A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the hundreds,
>>> then onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy profit. For
>>> instance;
>>>
>>> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs
>> that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for what I
>> want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room connected
>> to the TV's. don't use them much tho.
> SBCs (single-board-computers) work out cheaper than things like the
> Intel NUCs, and are often lower power consumption too. Of course
> you do then have the project of making/buying a case and figuring
> out how to set the software up.
>
> Besides the ARM-based ones like the Raspberry Pis, there are some
> x86_64 SBCs out there which can be a much more power-efficient
> replacement for an always-on desktop PC.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktcgpvF7p93U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3873&group=aus.computers#3873

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:09:35 +1000
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net>
 by: Keithr0 - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:09 UTC

On 7/12/2023 7:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>>
>> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
>> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>>
>>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>>
>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)
>
> People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
> with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
> selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
> that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
> get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
> Plus the rust is real too.
>
> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
> _case_ advertised for $110:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816

Back in the 90s I was asked to appraise some 286 machines that were
being offered to us as part of a deal for some second hand mainframe
parts. Not only were they rusty but there was grass growing inside.
Unfortunately the grass was the type that you cut with a lawnmower,
otherwise it would it would have been worthwhile taking them. Offer
declined.

> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>
> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011

Much cheaper at the local op shop if you're into that sort of thing.

> Well it seems the more I procrastinate the more they're worth, but
> like old cars it's all a matter of how much they rust away while I
> wait!
>
> Also this is posted, as usual, from a Pentium 1 beige box PC in a
> case that looks somewhat similar to your 386 one. Booted into
> Linux (an old version, but it is able to boot into a current
> Linux distro Live CD), but also with Win98 installed on a second
> HDD (used mainly to run software for old parallel port and ISA
> electronics-related hardware devices).

>>> That may be so but there are plenty of small form factor PCs out
>>> there. A friend here buys used ones (ex lease mostly) by the hundreds,
>>> then onsells them to Europe and Asia for a rather tidy profit. For
>>> instance;
>>>
>>> https://au.pcmag.com/desktops/51728/the-best-windows-mini-pcs
>>
>> that's good for him, but I don't need one. I've got the setup for what I
>> want. also got a PC in the bedroom, and one in the lounge room connected
>> to the TV's. don't use them much tho.
>
> SBCs (single-board-computers) work out cheaper than things like the
> Intel NUCs, and are often lower power consumption too. Of course
> you do then have the project of making/buying a case and figuring
> out how to set the software up.
>
> Besides the ARM-based ones like the Raspberry Pis, there are some
> x86_64 SBCs out there which can be a much more power-efficient
> replacement for an always-on desktop PC.

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ukr4ok$vjhf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3874&group=aus.computers#3874

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 08:48:19 +0800
[...]
 by: Clocky - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:48 UTC

On 6/12/2023 5:15 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> not interested in Macs, and I have a laptop but only use it when
>>> traveling
>>
>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>
> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>
>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>
> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item?  :)

It has a value to collectors of vintage stuff sure, $100 - $200 any day
of the week.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ukr4u7$vjhf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3875&group=aus.computers#3875

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 08:51:18 +0800
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net>
 by: Clocky - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:51 UTC

On 7/12/2023 5:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>> Thing is, the Intel Macs can run Windows or Linux. I put Linux Mint on
>>> the Mac Pro and on a 2011 vintage Mac Mini - works perfectly,
>>
>> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
>> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg
>>
>>> pity I don't really have a use for them any more.
>>
>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)
>
> People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
> with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
> selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
> that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
> get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
> Plus the rust is real too.
>
> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
> _case_ advertised for $110:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816

Even some CRT monitors are fetching $400+! A good place for selling
stuff are the vintage computer groups on facebook.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ukr53u$vjhf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3876&group=aus.computers#3876

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 08:54:21 +0800
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ktcgpvF7p93U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Clocky - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:54 UTC

On 7/12/2023 8:09 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/12/2023 7:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
>>> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg

>>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item?  :)
>>
>> People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
>> with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
>> selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
>> that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
>> get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
>> Plus the rust is real too.
>>
>> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
>> _case_ advertised for $110:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>
> Back in the 90s I was asked to appraise some 286 machines that were
> being offered to us as part of a deal for some second hand mainframe
> parts. Not only were they rusty but there was grass growing inside.
> Unfortunately the grass was the type that you cut with a lawnmower,
> otherwise it would it would have been worthwhile taking them. Offer
> declined.
>
>>  From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>>
>> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011
>
> Much cheaper at the local op shop if you're into that sort of thing.

I haven't seen an op-shop sell that vintage computers in about 15 years.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: New version of the Wankel

<657120b9@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3877&group=aus.computers#3877

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
References: <krhm9vFgffsU1@mid.individual.net> <ksidc1FknvmU1@mid.individual.net> <1d09d692-c06f-4f5d-bb9b-f969e824dbadn@googlegroups.com> <ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me> <ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net> <ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com> <ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net> <6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ktcd6qF74iiU1@mid.individual.net>
Date: 7 Dec 2023 11:32:42 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 01:32 UTC

In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> I have a dedicated Linx box running Mint ..
>>> https://auslink.info/pics/linux_box.jpg

>>> I have a few leftovers :) .. https://auslink.info/pics/leftovers.jpg
>>> btw, the beige box vertical on top of the pile is a totally fully
>>> functional DOS Box running a 386 SX and ISA BUS. it must be an
>>> historical relic now. wonder if it valuable as a collectors item? :)
>> People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
>> with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
>> selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
>> that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
>> get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
>> Plus the rust is real too.
>>
>> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
>> _case_ advertised for $110:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>>
>> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>>
>> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011
>
> very interesting. thanks for that. I will see what I have I can sell!
> the biggest problem with such large items is the packing and shipping.
>
> this is the best company I've found for shipping ..
> https://au.interparcel.com/ they give you quotes from all the major
> carriers, then you just pick the one you want

Thanks for that link, it points out some cheaper courier options
that I wasn't aware of, although I'm a bit skeptical about the
reality of them picking up from my location the next day. Courier
deliveries often take a couple of weeks after arriving at the
nearest major town, before they brave the journey out into the
unknown.

I'd probably send them by Aus Post since they should come under the
parcel weight limit. It's the tendency of things like RAM to get
dislodged from knocks that makes me concerned. If moving a PC
carelessly from room to room can do it, I can only imagine what
happens bouncing around in a truck (and trust me, a lot of bouncing
around goes on in courier trucks for sure!).

>> Well it seems the more I procrastinate the more they're worth,
>
> it seems if you keep anything long enough it becomes worth something to
> collectors

Unfortunately not, as I found out while selling a deceased
relative's military book collection a while ago. Plenty of first
editions, hundreds touching or over 100 years old, but if nobody's
interested in the subject anymore then it doesn't matter much.
Still, three collectable ones (not the oldest) turned out to be
worth around $600 total alone, and with a lot of work I managed to
sell and give away the rest to homes other than the tip before the
house had to be cleared. The biggest surprise was that very few
book sellers were interested, but some individuals were keen.

>> but
>> like old cars it's all a matter of how much they rust away while I
>> wait!
>
> fortunately I can store items without that problem.

Actually it looks like I did move most of the old ones inside a
while ago when I first thought about selling some. That explains
why I don't have any room. :)

>> Also this is posted, as usual, from a Pentium 1 beige box PC in a
>> case that looks somewhat similar to your 386 one. Booted into
>> Linux (an old version, but it is able to boot into a current
>> Linux distro Live CD), but also with Win98 installed on a second
>> HDD (used mainly to run software for old parallel port and ISA
>> electronics-related hardware devices).
>
> this is the PC I currently use .. https://auslink.info/pics/speccy1.jpg

I suspect it's way more powerful than you theoretically need, but
Windows always finds ways to swallow up resources so it's the price
you pay with that.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: New version of the Wankel

<657122ce@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3878&group=aus.computers#3878

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
References: <krhm9vFgffsU1@mid.individual.net> <ksidc1FknvmU1@mid.individual.net> <1d09d692-c06f-4f5d-bb9b-f969e824dbadn@googlegroups.com> <ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me> <ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net> <ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com> <ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net> <6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ktcgpvF7p93U1@mid.individual.net>
Date: 7 Dec 2023 11:41:35 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 01:41 UTC

In aus.computers Keithr0 <nothing.to.see@here.com.au> wrote:
> On 7/12/2023 7:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>>
>> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011
>
> Much cheaper at the local op shop if you're into that sort of thing.

I look around op-shops often and actually I'd say the era of
finding such old PCs there is long gone. In fact even the ones that
do take electronics rarely seem to have PCs of any description.
Computer accessories are often there though. It might depend on
what they choose to accept, I knew one Salvos that used to keep all
that stuff out the back but later switched to just throwing it away
immediately (with rare exceptions).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: New version of the Wankel

<65712423@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3879&group=aus.computers#3879

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
References: <krhm9vFgffsU1@mid.individual.net> <ksidc1FknvmU1@mid.individual.net> <1d09d692-c06f-4f5d-bb9b-f969e824dbadn@googlegroups.com> <ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me> <ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net> <ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com> <ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net> <6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ukr4u7$vjhf$2@dont-email.me>
Date: 7 Dec 2023 11:47:15 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 01:47 UTC

Clocky <notgonna@happen.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/2023 5:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>
>> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
>> _case_ advertised for $110:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>
> Even some CRT monitors are fetching $400+!

I'm not sure how people even think about posting those, except if
they still have the foam packing, but I guess they find ways. There
are interesting videos showing how CRT TV manufacturers tested
their packaging by dropping and vibrating the boxes.

> A good place for selling stuff are the vintage computer groups on
> facebook.

I'm allergic to Facebook.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: New version of the Wankel

<uks0s2$16sr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3880&group=aus.computers#3880

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 16:47:24 +0800
[...]
 by: Clocky - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 08:47 UTC

On 7/12/2023 9:41 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> In aus.computers Keithr0 <nothing.to.see@here.com.au> wrote:
>> On 7/12/2023 7:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>>>
>>> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011
>>
>> Much cheaper at the local op shop if you're into that sort of thing.
>
> I look around op-shops often and actually I'd say the era of
> finding such old PCs there is long gone. In fact even the ones that
> do take electronics rarely seem to have PCs of any description.
> Computer accessories are often there though. It might depend on
> what they choose to accept, I knew one Salvos that used to keep all
> that stuff out the back but later switched to just throwing it away
> immediately (with rare exceptions).

Yep. Also they can't sell stuff without testing and tagging and it's
often too much hassle so they just chuck it.

In any event the days of finding vintage computer are long gone. I'm
still kicking myself for leaving a SOL-20 at an op-shop many moons ago
because I thought the $15 they were asking was a bit steep.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: New version of the Wankel

<op.2fldormubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3881&group=aus.computers#3881

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 04:03:53 +1100
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ktcgpvF7p93U1@mid.individual.net>
<657122ce@news.ausics.net>
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:03 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 12:41:35 +1100, Computer Nerd Kev
<not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

> In aus.computers Keithr0 <nothing.to.see@here.com.au> wrote:
>> On 7/12/2023 7:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>>>
>>> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011
>>
>> Much cheaper at the local op shop if you're into that sort of thing.
>
> I look around op-shops often and actually I'd say the era of
> finding such old PCs there is long gone. In fact even the ones that
> do take electronics rarely seem to have PCs of any description.
> Computer accessories are often there though. It might depend on
> what they choose to accept, I knew one Salvos that used to keep all
> that stuff out the back but later switched to just throwing it away
> immediately (with rare exceptions).

Never seen anyone buy a used PC at a garage sale. Used laptops do sell.

Re: New version of the Wankel

<op.2fldrcq4byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3882&group=aus.computers#3882

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 04:05:26 +1100
<ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net>
<uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net>
<kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net>
<uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net>
<kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net>
<ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net> <6570e94f@news.ausics.net>
<ktcgpvF7p93U1@mid.individual.net> <657122ce@news.ausics.net>
<uks0s2$16sr4$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:05 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 19:47:24 +1100, Clocky <notgonna@happen.com> wrote:

> On 7/12/2023 9:41 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

>>> Much cheaper at the local op shop if you're into that sort of thing.
>> I look around op-shops often and actually I'd say the era of
>> finding such old PCs there is long gone. In fact even the ones that
>> do take electronics rarely seem to have PCs of any description.
>> Computer accessories are often there though. It might depend on
>> what they choose to accept, I knew one Salvos that used to keep all
>> that stuff out the back but later switched to just throwing it away
>> immediately (with rare exceptions).

> Yep. Also they can't sell stuff without testing and tagging

That is just plain wrong.

> and it's often too much hassle so they just chuck it.

> In any event the days of finding vintage computer are long gone. I'm
> still kicking myself for leaving a SOL-20 at an op-shop many moons ago
> because I thought the $15 they were asking was a bit steep.

Re: New version of the Wankel

<op.2fldtcg0byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3883&group=aus.computers#3883

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 04:06:38 +1100
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ukr4u7$vjhf$2@dont-email.me>
<65712423@news.ausics.net>
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:06 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 12:47:15 +1100, Computer Nerd Kev
<not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

> Clocky <notgonna@happen.com> wrote:
>> On 7/12/2023 5:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
>>> _case_ advertised for $110:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>>
>> Even some CRT monitors are fetching $400+!
>
> I'm not sure how people even think about posting those, except if
> they still have the foam packing, but I guess they find ways. There
> are interesting videos showing how CRT TV manufacturers tested
> their packaging by dropping and vibrating the boxes.
>
>> A good place for selling stuff are the vintage computer groups on
>> facebook.
>
> I'm allergic to Facebook.

More fool you, vast amounts of stuff moves that way now.

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktkfspFg8slU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3893&group=aus.computers#3893

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:43:00 +1100
[...]
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 00:43 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

>>> People are paying $100 or more now, especially if pre-installed
>>> with a collection of classic DOS games. I've been thinking of
>>> selling off some that are rusting away in the shed, but I worry
>>> that all the boards will be knocked lose in the post and I'd just
>>> get people complaining that it doesn't work when they receive them.
>>> Plus the rust is real too.
>>>
>>> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
>>> _case_ advertised for $110:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>>>
>>> From a seller who recently sold a 486 with Win95 installed for $549:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305214161381
>>>
>>> They even got $299 for a 286 in a boring little office-PC case:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/305283908011
>> very interesting. thanks for that. I will see what I have I can sell!
>> the biggest problem with such large items is the packing and shipping.
>>
>> this is the best company I've found for shipping ..
>> https://au.interparcel.com/ they give you quotes from all the major
>> carriers, then you just pick the one you want
> Thanks for that link, it points out some cheaper courier options
> that I wasn't aware of, although I'm a bit skeptical about the
> reality of them picking up from my location the next day. Courier
> deliveries often take a couple of weeks after arriving at the
> nearest major town, before they brave the journey out into the
> unknown.

never had a problem with them. pick up same day or next and delivery
usually three or four days

> I'd probably send them by Aus Post since they should come under the
> parcel weight limit.

they have a generous weight limit, but a length limit of 1 metre, so you
need to be aware of that

> It's the tendency of things like RAM to get
> dislodged from knocks that makes me concerned. If moving a PC
> carelessly from room to room can do it,

had to imagine that happening since RAM locks in it's slots with clips
each end

> I can only imagine what
> happens bouncing around in a truck (and trust me, a lot of bouncing
> around goes on in courier trucks for sure!).

you need to pack them with spongy foam or crumpled up newspaper, etc.,
so they can move within the packing box to absorb some impact force

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: New version of the Wankel

<65762a12@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3897&group=aus.computers#3897

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
References: <krhm9vFgffsU1@mid.individual.net> <ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me> <ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net> <ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net> <ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com> <ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net> <kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me> <kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net> <ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me> <kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net> <ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net> <kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net> <kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net> <6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ktcd6qF74iiU1@mid.individual.net> <657120b9@news.ausics.net> <ktkfspFg8slU1@mid.individual.net>
Date: 11 Dec 2023 07:13:55 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 21:13 UTC

In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>>> this is the best company I've found for shipping ..
>>> https://au.interparcel.com/ they give you quotes from all the major
>>> carriers, then you just pick the one you want
>> Thanks for that link, it points out some cheaper courier options
>> that I wasn't aware of, although I'm a bit skeptical about the
>> reality of them picking up from my location the next day. Courier
>> deliveries often take a couple of weeks after arriving at the
>> nearest major town, before they brave the journey out into the
>> unknown.
>
> never had a problem with them. pick up same day or next and delivery
> usually three or four days

All the courier companies sub-contract with the same local courier
company which is willing to deliver to me, but only when it suits
them. Except for many overseas companies (eg. DHL) that just send
with Aus Post once the parcel gets to Australia.

>> It's the tendency of things like RAM to get
>> dislodged from knocks that makes me concerned. If moving a PC
>> carelessly from room to room can do it,
>
> had to imagine that happening since RAM locks in it's slots with clips
> each end

Presumably the RAM slot designer thought so too, but in practice
there's still some wiggle-room when clipped in which allows them to
come out of the slot contacts enough to stop working. Same thing
with expansion cards (PCI, etc.) even though they're usally screwed
in at the panel.

It's the first thing to check if a desktop PC has been moved and
won't boot thereafter. I guess for posting them I could just put a
disclaimer in the Ebay listing explaining that buyers should be
prepared to do that if the received computer doesn't boot.

>> I can only imagine what
>> happens bouncing around in a truck (and trust me, a lot of bouncing
>> around goes on in courier trucks for sure!).
>
> you need to pack them with spongy foam or crumpled up newspaper, etc.,
> so they can move within the packing box to absorb some impact force

Sure but I've seen that it doesn't take using them as a football to
cause the trouble, it would be too hard to avoid any shaking about
inside.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktmvsdF566dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3898&group=aus.computers#3898

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:28:11 +1100
[...]
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:28 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> In aus.computers Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> Thanks for that link, it points out some cheaper courier options
>>> that I wasn't aware of, although I'm a bit skeptical about the
>>> reality of them picking up from my location the next day. Courier
>>> deliveries often take a couple of weeks after arriving at the
>>> nearest major town, before they brave the journey out into the
>>> unknown.
>> never had a problem with them. pick up same day or next and delivery
>> usually three or four days
> All the courier companies sub-contract with the same local courier
> company which is willing to deliver to me, but only when it suits
> them. Except for many overseas companies (eg. DHL) that just send
> with Aus Post once the parcel gets to Australia.
>
>>> It's the tendency of things like RAM to get
>>> dislodged from knocks that makes me concerned. If moving a PC
>>> carelessly from room to room can do it,
>> had to imagine that happening since RAM locks in it's slots with clips
>> each end
> Presumably the RAM slot designer thought so too, but in practice
> there's still some wiggle-room when clipped in which allows them to
> come out of the slot contacts enough to stop working. Same thing
> with expansion cards (PCI, etc.) even though they're usally screwed
> in at the panel.
>
> It's the first thing to check if a desktop PC has been moved and
> won't boot thereafter. I guess for posting them I could just put a
> disclaimer in the Ebay listing explaining that buyers should be
> prepared to do that if the received computer doesn't boot.
>
>>> I can only imagine what
>>> happens bouncing around in a truck (and trust me, a lot of bouncing
>>> around goes on in courier trucks for sure!).
>> you need to pack them with spongy foam or crumpled up newspaper, etc.,
>> so they can move within the packing box to absorb some impact force
> Sure but I've seen that it doesn't take using them as a football to
> cause the trouble, it would be too hard to avoid any shaking about
> inside.

I guess all you can do is put a disclaimer on the eBay add as you suggest

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ule2gt$18j8t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3899&group=aus.computers#3899

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:06:35 +0800
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ukr4u7$vjhf$2@dont-email.me>
<65712423@news.ausics.net>
 by: Clocky - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 05:06 UTC

On 7/12/2023 9:47 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Clocky <notgonna@happen.com> wrote:
>> On 7/12/2023 5:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow things have actually been going up, here's a slightly-rusty PC
>>> _case_ advertised for $110:
>>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304365040816
>>
>> Even some CRT monitors are fetching $400+!
>
> I'm not sure how people even think about posting those, except if
> they still have the foam packing, but I guess they find ways. There
> are interesting videos showing how CRT TV manufacturers tested
> their packaging by dropping and vibrating the boxes.
>
>> A good place for selling stuff are the vintage computer groups on
>> facebook.
>
> I'm allergic to Facebook.

I don't like it either but I just sold a 386 for $350 so I'll put up
with it.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktvqi6F5dljU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3900&group=aus.computers#3900

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:52:37 +1100
<ksiqrmFocr1U1@mid.individual.net> <uk1pe2$3neps$1@dont-email.me>
<ksjgoaFuukU1@mid.individual.net> <ksjh7tFtthkU5@mid.individual.net>
<ksjl9pF28o3U2@mid.individual.net>
<ca1aa154-9b74-4064-bc62-dce57f307eebn@googlegroups.com>
<ksl1q2FcppgU1@mid.individual.net> <ksl309FbeueU14@mid.individual.net>
<kslb9mFf2jbU1@mid.individual.net> <uk42a8$64el$2@dont-email.me>
<kslhg3Fghr1U5@mid.individual.net> <kslj9qFh8v2U1@mid.individual.net>
<ksljdtFh8v2U2@mid.individual.net> <uk49v6$776k$3@dont-email.me>
<kslqlkFjkjeU1@mid.individual.net> <kslrgfFk17dU1@mid.individual.net>
<ksm1lsFm0pmU1@mid.individual.net> <kt7vibFotevU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt8a37Fp4r0U1@mid.individual.net> <kt8mrnF2tabU1@mid.individual.net>
<kt9qpqFcc2gU1@mid.individual.net> <ktasd4Fmnr0U1@mid.individual.net>
<6570e94f@news.ausics.net> <ukr4u7$vjhf$2@dont-email.me>
<65712423@news.ausics.net> <ule2gt$18j8t$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Mighty Mouse - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:52 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 7/12/2023 9:47 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Clocky <notgonna@happen.com> wrote:

>>> Even some CRT monitors are fetching $400+!
>>
>> I'm not sure how people even think about posting those, except if
>> they still have the foam packing, but I guess they find ways. There
>> are interesting videos showing how CRT TV manufacturers tested
>> their packaging by dropping and vibrating the boxes.
>>
>>> A good place for selling stuff are the vintage computer groups on
>>> facebook.

clocky which ones are they?

--
Have a nice day!..

"What is more likely, a miraculous virgin birth, or that a Jewish girl lied"

Re: New version of the Wankel

<ktvrn2F5n96U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3901&group=aus.computers#3901

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:12:18 +1100
[...]
 by: Mighty Mouse - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:12 UTC

Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Clocky wrote:

>>> I'm not sure how people even think about posting those, except if
>>> they still have the foam packing, but I guess they find ways. There
>>> are interesting videos showing how CRT TV manufacturers tested
>>> their packaging by dropping and vibrating the boxes.

> clocky which ones are they?

it's ok. I googled on fb. there are heaps of them!