I wish you were a Scotch on the rocks.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: Windows 10 and RAM

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
+* Windows 10 and RAMXeno
|`* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
| +* Windows 10 and RAMXeno
| |`- Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
| `* Windows 10 and RAMComputer Nerd Kev
|  `* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
|   `- Windows 10 and RAMComputer Nerd Kev
+* Windows 10 and RAMRod Speed
|`* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
| +- Windows 10 and RAMPete
| +- Windows 10 and RAMXeno
| `* Windows 10 and RAMRod Speed
|  `* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
|   `- Windows 10 and RAMRod Speed
`* Windows 10 and RAMPetzl
 +* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
 |`* Windows 10 and RAMPetzl
 | +* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
 | |`* Windows 10 and RAMPetzl
 | | `- Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
 | `* Windows 10 and RAMRod Speed
 |  `* Windows 10 and RAMMighty Mouse
 |   `- Windows 10 and RAMRod Speed
 `- Windows 10 and RAMRod Speed

1
Windows 10 and RAM

<kt4pr9FsqgfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3850&group=aus.computers#3850

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Windows 10 and RAM
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:54:46 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 01:54 UTC

What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM the
better? my motherboard..  https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take 16
gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much but
increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy second
hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as 'Assembled
in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt58i2F1i8rU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3851&group=aus.computers#3851

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Windows 10 and RAM
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:05:54 +1100
 by: Xeno - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 06:05 UTC

On 4/12/2023 12:54 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
> depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM the
> better? my motherboard..  https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take 16
> gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much but
> increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy second
> hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as 'Assembled
> in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
> https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
> stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA

A point, there is no RAM currently *assembled* in Australia. Taiwan and
China are the two most common assembly points.

I wouldn't even buy new RAM on EBay. Have bought used RAM on EBay.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt5d5nF35jhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3852&group=aus.computers#3852

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 18:24:38 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 07:24 UTC

I gave the link. it's called MemOz .. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2

> Taiwan and China are the two most common assembly points.
>
> I wouldn't even buy new RAM on EBay. Have bought used RAM on EBay.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt5jssF44evU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3853&group=aus.computers#3853

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:19:23 +1100
 by: Xeno - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 09:19 UTC

On 4/12/2023 6:24 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> On 4/12/2023 12:54 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
>>> depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM
>>> the better? my motherboard..  https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will
>>> take 16 gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much
>>> but increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy
>>> second hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as
>>> 'Assembled in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
>>> https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
>>> stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA
>>>
>> A point, there is no RAM currently *assembled* in Australia.
>
> I gave the link. it's called MemOz .. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2
>
>> Taiwan and China are the two most common assembly points.
>>
>> I wouldn't even buy new RAM on EBay. Have bought used RAM on EBay.

The closest that RAM module would have come to being assembled in
Australia is its insertion into a RAM module transport case. I have one
of those cases here from when I bought ECC RAM modules from the US years
ago. The RAM I swapped out is still occupying the case. Wages here are
too high to do basic electronic assembly like RAM modules. Even with
robotic assembly it would still be cheaper to do it in China, Taiwan,
Singapore, Malaysia, etc. Effectively, anywhere but Australia.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt5k4eF5dgcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3854&group=aus.computers#3854

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:23:26 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 09:23 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 4/12/2023 6:24 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>>>
>>> A point, there is no RAM currently *assembled* in Australia.
>>
>> I gave the link. it's called MemOz .. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2
>>
>>> Taiwan and China are the two most common assembly points.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't even buy new RAM on EBay. Have bought used RAM on EBay.
>>>
> The closest that RAM module would have come to being assembled in
> Australia is its insertion into a RAM module transport case. I have
> one of those cases here from when I bought ECC RAM modules from the US
> years ago. The RAM I swapped out is still occupying the case. Wages
> here are too high to do basic electronic assembly like RAM modules.
> Even with robotic assembly it would still be cheaper to do it in
> China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, etc. Effectively, anywhere but
> Australia.

OK

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<op.2ffuhxx5byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3855&group=aus.computers#3855

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 04:21:23 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:21 UTC

Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote

> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days?

No such unique number.

> I guess it depends on what it's being used for,

Corse it does.

> but can we assume the more RAM the better?

Not necessarily, particularly when
the PC is just used for web browsing.

> my motherboard.. https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx ..will take16 gb, and I
> currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gainmuch but increasing to 16.
> but if I did decide to upgrade, itis ok to buy second hand RAM or
> should one always buy new?

RAM doesnt die very often.

> some RAM advertised as 'Assembled in Australia'

God knows what that is about.

> is being flogged off on eBay.. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..
> should I even consider it,

I wouldnt.

> or should I stick with known brands,

That is certainly safer.

> and if so which ones?

You don't say what you use the PC for.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt6uckFgqu4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3856&group=aus.computers#3856

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:24:34 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:24 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
>
>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days?
>
> No such unique number.
>
>> I guess it  depends on what it's being used for,
>
> Corse it does.
>
>> but can we assume the more RAM the better?
>
> Not necessarily, particularly when
> the PC is just used for web browsing.
>
>> my motherboard.. https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take16  gb, and
>> I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gainmuch but  increasing
>> to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, itis ok to buy second  hand
>> RAM or should one always buy new?
>
> RAM doesnt die very often.
>
>> some RAM advertised as 'Assembled  in Australia'
>
> God knows what that is about.
>
>> is being flogged off on eBay.. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..
>> should I even consider it,
>
> I wouldnt.
>
>> or should I  stick with known brands,
>
> That is certainly safer.
>
>> and if so which ones?
>
> You don't say what you use the PC for.

nothing special that requires any special type of RAM, just general use.
besides the max speed specified for that motherboard is 1333mhz. but
maybe if I use 1600mhz RAM it would perform a bit better?

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<uklgov$3itih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3857&group=aus.computers#3857

From: pjetson@yahoo.com (Pete)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:36:31 +1100
 by: Pete - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:36 UTC

> besides the max speed specified for that motherboard is 1333mhz. but
> maybe if I use 1600mhz RAM it would perform a bit better?

The RAM speed is its limit, not the speed at which it operates. The RAM
can't go any faster than the motherboard drives it.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<656e4a44@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3858&group=aus.computers#3858

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 5 Dec 2023 07:53:09 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:53 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> On 4/12/2023 12:54 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
>>> depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM
>>> the better? my motherboard.. https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx ..will
>>> take 16 gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much
>>> but increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy
>>> second hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as
>>> 'Assembled in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
>>> https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
>>> stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA
>>>
>> A point, there is no RAM currently *assembled* in Australia.
>
> I gave the link. it's called MemOz .. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2

Frankly a pretty lazy link, to an Ebay reseller. Their actual
website was the first search result for "MemOz", from which one can
follow their store link to "AdorIT", where the truth of what they
define as assembly comes out on their About Us page:

"Our engineers select the best worldwide components for our
products. Our preferred RAM chip manufacturers are Samsung, Micron
and Hynix. Then, every product is tested, programmed, labelled and
packaged, here in Australia."
https://adorit.com.au/about/

So no part of the electronics is actually assembled here.

https://memoz.com.au/

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the well known brands
actually get the RAM sticks assembled by the same company that makes
the RAM chips and they just slap their sticker on them too. So it's
possibly no less honest than the other brands that aren't also chip
manufacturers.

With an unknown brand there's a risk that the chips are falsely
marked though.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt73cgFhrjsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3859&group=aus.computers#3859

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:49:52 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 22:49 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>>>
>>> A point, there is no RAM currently *assembled* in Australia.
>> I gave the link. it's called MemOz .. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2
> Frankly a pretty lazy link, to an Ebay reseller. Their actual
> website was the first search result for "MemOz", from which one can
> follow their store link to "AdorIT", where the truth of what they
> define as assembly comes out on their About Us page:
>
> "Our engineers select the best worldwide components for our
> products. Our preferred RAM chip manufacturers are Samsung, Micron
> and Hynix. Then, every product is tested, programmed, labelled and
> packaged, here in Australia."
> https://adorit.com.au/about/

why would they be 'programmed'?

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt781sFidk2U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3860&group=aus.computers#3860

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 11:09:32 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:09 UTC

On 5/12/2023 8:24 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
>>
>>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days?
>>
>> No such unique number.
>>
>>> I guess it  depends on what it's being used for,
>>
>> Corse it does.
>>
>>> but can we assume the more RAM the better?
>>
>> Not necessarily, particularly when
>> the PC is just used for web browsing.
>>
>>> my motherboard.. https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take16  gb, and
>>> I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gainmuch but  increasing
>>> to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, itis ok to buy second  hand
>>> RAM or should one always buy new?
>>
>> RAM doesnt die very often.
>>
>>> some RAM advertised as 'Assembled  in Australia'
>>
>> God knows what that is about.
>>
>>> is being flogged off on eBay.. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..
>>> should I even consider it,
>>
>> I wouldnt.
>>
>>> or should I  stick with known brands,
>>
>> That is certainly safer.
>>
>>> and if so which ones?
>>
>> You don't say what you use the PC for.
>
> nothing special that requires any special type of RAM, just general use.
> besides the max speed specified for that motherboard is 1333mhz. but
> maybe if I use 1600mhz RAM it would perform a bit better?

If your max speed is 1333MHz, then your 1600MHz RAM will perform just
like 1333MHz RAM.
--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<656e738a@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3861&group=aus.computers#3861

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 5 Dec 2023 10:49:14 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:49 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> "Our engineers select the best worldwide components for our
>> products. Our preferred RAM chip manufacturers are Samsung, Micron
>> and Hynix. Then, every product is tested, programmed, labelled and
>> packaged, here in Australia."
>> https://adorit.com.au/about/
>
> why would they be 'programmed'?

It could be to set their manufacturer name and model number in the
DMI information shown by system information tools.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<op.2fhnex0ebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3862&group=aus.computers#3862

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 03:43:35 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote

>>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days?
>>
>> No such unique number.
>>
>>> I guess it depends on what it's being used for,
>>
>> Corse it does.
>>
>>> but can we assume the more RAM the better?
>>
>> Not necessarily, particularly when
>> the PC is just used for web browsing.
>>
>>> my motherboard.. https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx ..will take16 gb, and
>>> I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gainmuch but increasing to
>>> 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, itis ok to buy second hand RAM or
>>> should one always buy new?
>>
>> RAM doesnt die very often.
>>
>>> some RAM advertised as 'Assembled in Australia'
>>
>> God knows what that is about.
>>
>>> is being flogged off on eBay.. https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..
>>> should I even consider it,
>>
>> I wouldnt.
>>
>>> or should I stick with known brands,
>>
>> That is certainly safer.
>>
>>> and if so which ones?
>>
>> You don't say what you use the PC for.
>
> nothing special that requires any special type of RAM, just general use.

Do you leave it on all the time or turn it off when you aren't using it ?

Do you close apps when you arent using a
particular app anymore or leave them open ?

> besides the max speed specified for that motherboard is 1333mhz.but
> maybe if I use 1600mhz RAM it would perform a bit better?

No, it can only perform at the speed of the motherboard clock.

No point in spending more for the faster RAM.

Not even worth buying the faster RAM in case you upgrade the motherboard
later. A new motherboard won't be able to use that RAM.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kt9qohFcp50U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3863&group=aus.computers#3863

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 10:41:03 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 23:41 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote

>>> No such unique number.

>>> Corse it does.

>>> Not necessarily, particularly when
>>> the PC is just used for web browsing.

>>> RAM doesnt die very often.

>>> God knows what that is about.

>>> I wouldnt.

>>> That is certainly safer.

>>> You don't say what you use the PC for.
>>
>> nothing special that requires any special type of RAM, just general use.
>
> Do you leave it on all the time or turn it off when you aren't using it ?

only turn it on to use it. but usually it's turned on in the morning and
left on until bedtime as it's used off and on during the day and night.

> Do you close apps when you arent using a
> particular app anymore or leave them open ?

close apps I'm not using

>> besides the max speed specified for that motherboard is 1333mhz.but
>> maybe if I use 1600mhz RAM it would perform a bit better?
>
> No, it can only perform at the speed of the motherboard clock.
>
> No point in spending more for the faster RAM.
>
> Not even worth buying the faster RAM in case you upgrade the motherboard
> later. A new motherboard won't be able to use that RAM.

OK

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<op.2fjchyl1byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3868&group=aus.computers#3868

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 01:43:00 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 14:43 UTC

Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> nothing special that requires any special type of RAM, just general
>>> use.
>>
>> Do you leave it on all the time or turn it off when you aren't using it
>> ?
>
> only turn it on to use it. but usually it's turned on in the morning and
> left on until bedtime as it's used off and on during the day and night.
>

>> Do you close apps when you arent using a
>> particular app anymore or leave them open ?
>
> close apps I'm not using

Then you may not see much benefit with more ram.

>>> besides the max speed specified for that motherboard is 1333mhz.but
>>> maybe if I use 1600mhz RAM it would perform a bit better?
>>
>> No, it can only perform at the speed of the motherboard clock.
>>
>> No point in spending more for the faster RAM.
>>
>> Not even worth buying the faster RAM in case you upgrade the motherboard
>> later. A new motherboard won't be able to use that RAM.
>
> OK

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<s2c7ni9f238v5ohjfth294shmqussi02u2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3884&group=aus.computers#3884

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 11:43:13 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 00:43 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:54:46 +1100, Mighty Mouse
<"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
>depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM the
>better? my motherboard..  https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take 16
>gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much but
>increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy second
>hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as 'Assembled
>in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
>https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
>stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA

Unless you are running intensive RAM programs like Video editing *
should be enough
If WIN10 is running too slow the best way to speed it up is a fresh
install
Next is to push WIN key and type in "disk" in search box to bring up
"Clean-up" app, right click mouse, a select run as administrator.
It is slow in coming up when it does, click OK, then "Delete Files"
button.
Should notice a improvement of speed?

The next is to get at least a 256 SSD USB and in properties another
option TAB will appear called "ReadyBoost" click it and select
"Dedicate this Device to ReadyBoost",
This can be turned off any time.
This is the one I use 256, but shop around SSD's are expensive!
https://t.ly/MF1ES

https://t.ly/co4Id
The SSD only has a USB C female input cable, select this type of cable
if you need to.
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<kti1dpFq20pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=aus.computers#3885

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 13:23:49 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 02:23 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:54:46 +1100, Mighty Mouse
> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
>> depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM the
>> better? my motherboard..  https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take 16
>> gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much but
>> increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy second
>> hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as 'Assembled
>> in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
>> https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
>> stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA
>>
> Unless you are running intensive RAM programs like Video editing *
> should be enough
> If WIN10 is running too slow the best way to speed it up is a fresh
> install
> Next is to push WIN key and type in "disk" in search box to bring up
> "Clean-up" app, right click mouse, a select run as administrator.
> It is slow in coming up when it does, click OK, then "Delete Files"
> button.
> Should notice a improvement of speed?

I use .. https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarepro.php ..  to
maintain the PC. works well!

already have a SSD .. https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1

> and in properties another
> option TAB will appear called "ReadyBoost" click it and select
> "Dedicate this Device to ReadyBoost",

mine doesn't have that option as it's SATA interface

> This can be turned off any time.
> This is the one I use 256, but shop around SSD's are expensive!
> https://t.ly/MF1ES
> https://t.ly/co4Id
> The SSD only has a USB C female input cable, select this type of cable
> if you need to.

that looks like a good cable to have. thanks for your comments.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<bcn7niloe4ui3o8v6ovhirckleh4osip02@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3886&group=aus.computers#3886

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 14:31:22 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 03:31 UTC

On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 13:23:49 +1100, Mighty Mouse
<"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>Petzl wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:54:46 +1100, Mighty Mouse
>> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
>>> depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM the
>>> better? my motherboard..  https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx  ..will take 16
>>> gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much but
>>> increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy second
>>> hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as 'Assembled
>>> in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
>>> https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
>>> stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA
>>>
>> Unless you are running intensive RAM programs like Video editing *
>> should be enough
>> If WIN10 is running too slow the best way to speed it up is a fresh
>> install
>> Next is to push WIN key and type in "disk" in search box to bring up
>> "Clean-up" app, right click mouse, a select run as administrator.
>> It is slow in coming up when it does, click OK, then "Delete Files"
>> button.
>> Should notice a improvement of speed?
>
>I use .. https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarepro.php ..  to
>maintain the PC. works well!
>
>> The next is to get at least a 256 SSD USB
>
>already have a SSD .. https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1

You right click and looked at properties?
look for the TAB
"ReadyBoost"?
? >> and in properties another
>> option TAB will appear called "ReadyBoost" click it and select
>> "Dedicate this Device to ReadyBoost",
>
>mine doesn't have that option as it's SATA interface

OK. bad luck

>> This can be turned off any time.
>> This is the one I use 256, but shop around SSD's are expensive!
>> https://t.ly/MF1ES
>> https://t.ly/co4Id
>> The SSD only has a USB C female input cable, select this type of cable
>> if you need to.
>
>that looks like a good cable to have. thanks for your comments.

With Mobile phones, with C type USB to C type USB, it allows very fast
data transfer and charging, this one also protects overcharging
(no fires)
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<ktitnoF368aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3887&group=aus.computers#3887

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:27:00 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:27 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 13:23:49 +1100, Mighty Mouse
> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> Unless you are running intensive RAM programs like Video editing *
>>> should be enough
>>> If WIN10 is running too slow the best way to speed it up is a fresh
>>> install
>>> Next is to push WIN key and type in "disk" in search box to bring up
>>> "Clean-up" app, right click mouse, a select run as administrator.
>>> It is slow in coming up when it does, click OK, then "Delete Files"
>>> button.
>>> Should notice a improvement of speed?
>> I use .. https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarepro.php ..  to
>> maintain the PC. works well!
>>
>>> The next is to get at least a 256 SSD USB
>> already have a SSD .. https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1
>>
> You right click and looked at properties?
> look for the TAB
> "ReadyBoost"?
> ?

ReadyBoost is for USB connected devices

>>> and in properties another
>>> option TAB will appear called "ReadyBoost" click it and select
>>> "Dedicate this Device to ReadyBoost",
>> mine doesn't have that option as it's SATA interface
>>
> OK. bad luck

SATA is way faster than USB

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<op.2fo4k9z1byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3888&group=aus.computers#3888

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:37:47 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 17:37 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
>> What amount of RAM do ppl recommend for Win 10 these days? I guess it
>> depends on what it's being used for, but can we assume the more RAM the
>> better? my motherboard.. https://tinyurl.com/3v2kdzhx ..will take 16
>> gb, and I currently have 8 GB. not sure if I would gain much but
>> increasing to 16. but if I did decide to upgrade, it is ok to buy second
>> hand RAM or should one always buy new? some RAM advertised as 'Assembled
>> in Australia' is being flogged off on eBay..
>> https://tinyurl.com/3vpjffb2 ..should I even consider it, or should I
>> stick with known brands, and if so which ones? TIA

> Unless you are running intensive RAM programs like Video editing *
> should be enough

> If WIN10 is running too slow the best way to speed it up is a fresh
> install

That's mad.

> Next is to push WIN key and type in "disk" in search box to bring up
> "Clean-up" app, right click mouse, a select run as administrator.
> It is slow in coming up when it does, click OK, then "Delete Files"
> button.
> Should notice a improvement of speed?

Nope.

> The next is to get at least a 256 SSD USB and in properties another
> option TAB will appear called "ReadyBoost" click it and select
> "Dedicate this Device to ReadyBoost",
> This can be turned off any time.
> This is the one I use 256, but shop around SSD's are expensive!
> https://t.ly/MF1ES

> https://t.ly/co4Id
> The SSD only has a USB C female input cable, select this type of cable
> if you need to.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<op.2fo4pww7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3889&group=aus.computers#3889

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:40:34 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 17:40 UTC

No it does not.

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<omo9nihgqakbk0673fbanq3a9t8q06apja@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3890&group=aus.computers#3890

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:01:27 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 22:01 UTC

On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:27:00 +1100, Mighty Mouse
<"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>Petzl wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 13:23:49 +1100, Mighty Mouse
>> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>>> I use .. https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarepro.php ..  to
>>> maintain the PC. works well!

>>> already have a SSD .. https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1
>>>
>> You right click and looked at properties?
>> look for the TAB
>> "ReadyBoost"?
>> ?
>
>ReadyBoost is for USB connected devices

SSD USB connected devices, apparently not Sata USB ones.

>>> mine doesn't have that option as it's SATA interface
>>>
>> OK. bad luck
>
>SATA is way faster than USB

That was then not now.

When it comes to speed, USB C has the upper hand. USB C supports the
latest USB 3.1 and USB 3.2 standards, which offer data transfer speeds
of up to 10 Gbps and 20 Gbps, respectively. On the other hand, SATA
III, the most common version of SATA, has a maximum data transfer rate
of 6 Gbps.

>>> that looks like a good cable to have. thanks for your comments.
>>>
>> With Mobile phones, with C type USB to C type USB, it allows very fast
>> data transfer and charging, this one also protects overcharging
>> (no fires)

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<ktkecuFftq4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3891&group=aus.computers#3891

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:17:29 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 00:17 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:27:00 +1100, Mighty Mouse
> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> You right click and looked at properties?
>>> look for the TAB
>>> "ReadyBoost"?
>>> ?
>> ReadyBoost is for USB connected devices
>>
> SSD USB connected devices, apparently not Sata USB ones.

yes

>>> OK. bad luck
>> SATA is way faster than USB
>>
> That was then not now.
> When it comes to speed, USB C has the upper hand. USB C supports the
> latest USB 3.1 and USB 3.2 standards, which offer data transfer speeds
> of up to 10 Gbps and 20 Gbps, respectively. On the other hand, SATA
> III, the most common version of SATA, has a maximum data transfer rate
> of 6 Gbps.

sorry, I was referring to SSD operations

https://www.flexense.com/usb3_vs_sata_disk_performance_comparison.html

"According to the average performance results for all types of file
management and analysis operations, the SATA3 interface is approximately
30% faster for file copy operations, 6% faster for file delete
operations and almost identical to the USB3 interface for all types of
analysis and file search operations. "

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<ktken5Fg0n9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3892&group=aus.computers#3892

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:22:59 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 00:22 UTC

it has a current limiting chip in it

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Windows 10 and RAM

<op.2fpsg1c2byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3896&group=aus.computers#3896

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:13:39 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:13 UTC

That's not overcharging.