Free Speech Is The Right To Shout 'Theater' In A Crowded Fire. -- A Yippie Proverb

aus+uk / aus.computers / Alan Turning

SubjectAuthor
* Alan TurningTrevor Wilson
+- Alan TurningMighty Mouse
+- Alan TurningPeter Jason
+* Alan TurningComputer Nerd Kev
|`- Alan TurningRod Speed
+* Alan Turningkeithr0
|`* Alan TurningTrevor Wilson
| `* Alan TurningPetzl
|  +- Alan TurningMighty Mouse
|  `* Alan Turningkeithr0
|   `- Alan TurningPetzl
`- Alan TurningOzix

1
Alan Turning

<kvi4j8F77ccU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3944&group=aus.computers#3944

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Alan Turning
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 20:50:32 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:50 UTC

I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing. Great
stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about Turing.
A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison, Einstein's IQ
was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was driven to take
his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:

* The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
* Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.

Re: Alan Turning

<kvi5msF7eupU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3946&group=aus.computers#3946

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Alan Turning
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 21:09:32 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:09 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing.
> Great stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about
> Turing. A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison,
> Einstein's IQ was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was
> driven to take his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>
> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
> * Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.

yes a terrible loss. he was forced to endure chemical castration, iirc

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Alan Turning

<ojs8pihhbuqfpses13iovg2lnlor1om708@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3951&group=aus.computers#3951

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 07:31:13 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 20:31 UTC

On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 03:37:47 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>
>> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
>> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing. Great
>> stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about Turing.
>> A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison, Einstein's IQ
>> was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was driven to take
>> his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>
>> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
>> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
>
>That last never happened.
>
>> * Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.
>
>Just because he had a high IQ doesnt mean that he would have
>contributed anything useful in that time.
Quite so. Even Einstein was burned out at 30.

Re: Alan Turning

<65947ab6@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3952&group=aus.computers#3952

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 3 Jan 2024 07:05:59 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 21:05 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>
>> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
>> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing. Great
>> stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about Turing.
>> A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison, Einstein's IQ
>> was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was driven to take
>> his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>
>> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
>> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
>
> That last never happened.

Not immediately at the end of the war, but they did later while the
project was still secret. Replica machines were later built. It was
a loss to history, but not to computer development.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Alan Turning

<op.2gxy1xvtbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3953&group=aus.computers#3953

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 09:50:11 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 22:50 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote

>>> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
>>> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing. Great
>>> stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about Turing.
>>> A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison, Einstein's IQ
>>> was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was driven to take
>>> his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:

>>> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer andhis thinking,
>>> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.

>> That last never happened.

> Not immediately at the end of the war, but theydid later while the
> project was still secret.

It was never destroyed in the sense of keeping
the technology secret forever, it was actually
just replaced with better technology.

> Replica machines were later built. It was a loss to history,

Only in the sense of no longer being a working machine.

The maintenance effort required was just too much effort.

> but not to computer development.

It was irrelevant to computer development.

Re: Alan Turning

<kvnd5eF7ulpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3961&group=aus.computers#3961

From: user@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:47:26 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:47 UTC

On 2/01/2024 7:50 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing. Great
> stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about Turing.
> A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison, Einstein's IQ
> was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was driven to take
> his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>
> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
> * Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.

If you're really interested in the subject, try reading "Alan Turing:
the enigma" by Andrew Hodges, it's the book that the film is based on.
It's an extensive biography from his childhood to his death, and paints
a picture of a brilliant man who couldn't quite come to terms with the
way that the world actually works.

Beware though, it's not an easy read, it's big (664 pages plus notes an
index) and goes into concepts of pure maths which was Turings subject.

Re: Alan Turning

<kvok4jFf16jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3965&group=aus.computers#3965

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:52:35 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 20:52 UTC

On 4/01/2024 8:47 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/01/2024 7:50 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
>> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing.
>> Great stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about
>> Turing. A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison,
>> Einstein's IQ was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was
>> driven to take his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>>
>> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
>> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
>> * Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.
>>
> If you're really interested in the subject, try reading "Alan Turing:
> the enigma" by Andrew Hodges, it's the book that the film is based on.
> It's an extensive biography from his childhood to his death, and paints
> a picture of a brilliant man who couldn't quite  come to terms with the
> way that the world actually works.
>
> Beware though, it's not an easy read, it's big (664 pages plus notes an
> index) and goes into concepts of pure maths which was Turings subject.

**Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I will pick up a copy. It does
sound like a tough read.

Re: Alan Turning

<q8depidfmkm2cf3h4urplcgnh22db9lcdk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3968&group=aus.computers#3968

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 09:47:19 +1100
 by: Petzl - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:47 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:52:35 +1100, Trevor Wilson
<trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>On 4/01/2024 8:47 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 2/01/2024 7:50 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
>>> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing.
>>> Great stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about
>>> Turing. A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison,
>>> Einstein's IQ was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was
>>> driven to take his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>>>
>>> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
>>> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
>>> * Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.
>>>
>> If you're really interested in the subject, try reading "Alan Turing:
>> the enigma" by Andrew Hodges, it's the book that the film is based on.
>> It's an extensive biography from his childhood to his death, and paints
>> a picture of a brilliant man who couldn't quite  come to terms with the
>> way that the world actually works.
>>
>> Beware though, it's not an easy read, it's big (664 pages plus notes an
>> index) and goes into concepts of pure maths which was Turings subject.
>
>**Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I will pick up a copy. It does
>sound like a tough read.

there is a movie verygood one.
"The Imitation Game"
--
Petzl
Arthur (Arthur Stace, Sydney (Eternity graffitist)

Re: Alan Turning

<kvp05rFh2naU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3969&group=aus.computers#3969

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:18:03 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 00:18 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:52:35 +1100, Trevor Wilson
> <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> If you're really interested in the subject, try reading "Alan Turing:
>>> the enigma" by Andrew Hodges, it's the book that the film is based on.
>>> It's an extensive biography from his childhood to his death, and paints
>>> a picture of a brilliant man who couldn't quite  come to terms with the
>>> way that the world actually works.
>>>
>>> Beware though, it's not an easy read, it's big (664 pages plus notes an
>>> index) and goes into concepts of pure maths which was Turings subject.
>> **Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I will pick up a copy. It does
>> sound like a tough read.
>>
> there is a movie verygood one.
> "The Imitation Game"

yeah, seen it

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Alan Turning

<kvq041FmmhvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3970&group=aus.computers#3970

From: user@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:23:14 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:23 UTC

On 5/01/2024 8:47 am, Petzl wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:52:35 +1100, Trevor Wilson
> <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> If you're really interested in the subject, try reading "Alan Turing:
>>> the enigma" by Andrew Hodges, it's the book that the film is based on.
>>> It's an extensive biography from his childhood to his death, and paints
>>> a picture of a brilliant man who couldn't quite  come to terms with the
>>> way that the world actually works.
>>>
>>> Beware though, it's not an easy read, it's big (664 pages plus notes an
>>> index) and goes into concepts of pure maths which was Turings subject.
>>
>> **Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I will pick up a copy. It does
>> sound like a tough read.
>>
> there is a movie verygood one.
> "The Imitation Game"

A reasonable movies, a very much dumbed down version of the book.

Re: Alan Turning

<u0tgpi50a4nskrmb147fp7lnudjs6gjog4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3971&group=aus.computers#3971

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 08:35:50 +1100
 by: Petzl - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:35 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:23:14 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid>
wrote:

>On 5/01/2024 8:47 am, Petzl wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:52:35 +1100, Trevor Wilson
>> <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> **Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I will pick up a copy. It does
>>> sound like a tough read.
>>>
>> there is a movie verygood one.
>> "The Imitation Game"
>
>A reasonable movies, a very much dumbed down version of the book.

Well if you wish to see it YouTube rents it for $2.99 for 24 hours.
My eyesight is pretty well shot, so good movies make good
entertainment.
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: Alan Turning

<6599314a$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3972&group=aus.computers#3972

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 18:54:02 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:54 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I watched the excellent movie made about Alan Turing, during his
> code-breaking in WWII England. It's my second (or third) viewing. Great
> stuff. Fascinating guy. It prompted me to do some reading about Turing.
> A true genius, with an IQ of around 185. For comparison, Einstein's IQ
> was around 160. I just thought is was so sad that he was driven to take
> his own life, aged 41. Imagine if:
>
> * The Poms fostered more development of his computer and his thinking,
> rather than destroying it all at the end of the war.
> * Turing had another 30 ~ 40 years to contribute to the world.

Interesting SBS just showed another movie called Enigma, set a year
later in the war when the German navy starting using more secure Enigma
machines.