If you don't know what game you're playing, don't ask what the score is.

aus+uk / aus.computers / USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

SubjectAuthor
* USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersComputer Nerd Kev
+* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|`* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersComputer Nerd Kev
| `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|  `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersComputer Nerd Kev
|   `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|    `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersComputer Nerd Kev
|     `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|      +* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|      |`* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|      | `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transferskeithr0
|      |  +- Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersPetzl
|      |  `- Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersComputer Nerd Kev
|      `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersComputer Nerd Kev
|       +- Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|       `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersPetzl
|        `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|         +* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersPetzl
|         |`- Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
|         `* Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersPetzl
|          `- Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersRod Speed
`- Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal TransfersPeter Jason

1
USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<65b20f43@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3997&group=aus.computers#3997

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 25 Jan 2024 17:35:32 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 07:35 UTC

I get some payments in USD in PayPal. Often I need to buy from
online stores that use USD but only accept credit/debit card, not
PayPal. So rather than paying AUD-USD currency conversion fees, it
would be good to transfer the USD balance off PayPal into a USD bank
account with a debit card usable for online purchases.

Does anyone know good options for this in Australia? The only card
I've got that takes foreign currency is my Australia Post Prepaid
Mastercard, but PayPal won't transfer money onto it, and many
online stores reject that card for some reason.

CBA, NAB, and Westpac have foreign currency accounts but they don't
come with a card, so they're no good for online purchases.

HSBC offer a "Global" Visa debit card, so that looks interesting.
Will I be able to transfer money onto it in USD directly from
PayPal though?
https://www.hsbc.com.au/accounts/products/everyday-global/

There's also Wise, but it seems they're not Visa or Mastercard
associated, so I assume they're not as widely accepted by online
stores?
https://wise.com/au/card/

I'd like to avoid ending up with another card like the Aus Post one
where I have to keep a list of websites that do/don't work with it,
so notes on personal experience would be welcome.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h3323upbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3998&group=aus.computers#3998

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:58:05 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

> I get some payments in USD in PayPal. Often I need to buy from
> online stores that use USD but only accept credit/debit card, not
> PayPal. So rather than paying AUD-USD currency conversion fees, it
> would be good to transfer the USD balance off PayPal into a USD bank
> account with a debit card usable for online purchases.
>
> Does anyone know good options for this in Australia? The only card
> I've got that takes foreign currency is my Australia Post Prepaid
> Mastercard, but PayPal won't transfer money onto it, and many
> online stores reject that card for some reason.
>
> CBA, NAB, and Westpac have foreign currency accounts but they don't
> come with a card, so they're no good for online purchases.
>
> HSBC offer a "Global" Visa debit card, so that looks interesting.
> Will I be able to transfer money onto it in USD directly from
> PayPal though?

You dont need to transfer it directly from paypal, just move
it from paypal to anywhere paypal will move it to and them
to the HSBC account that has the card.

> https://www.hsbc.com.au/accounts/products/everyday-global/

> There's also Wise, but it seems they're not Visa or Mastercard
> associated, so I assume they're not as widely accepted by online
> stores?
> https://wise.com/au/card/

> I'd like to avoid ending up with another card like the Aus Post one
> where I have to keep a list of websites that do/don't work with it,
> so notes on personal experience would be welcome.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<65b2c99b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3999&group=aus.computers#3999

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 26 Jan 2024 06:50:35 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:50 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>
>> I get some payments in USD in PayPal. Often I need to buy from
>> online stores that use USD but only accept credit/debit card, not
>> PayPal. So rather than paying AUD-USD currency conversion fees, it
>> would be good to transfer the USD balance off PayPal into a USD bank
>> account with a debit card usable for online purchases.
>>
>> Does anyone know good options for this in Australia? The only card
>> I've got that takes foreign currency is my Australia Post Prepaid
>> Mastercard, but PayPal won't transfer money onto it, and many
>> online stores reject that card for some reason.
>>
>> CBA, NAB, and Westpac have foreign currency accounts but they don't
>> come with a card, so they're no good for online purchases.
>>
>> HSBC offer a "Global" Visa debit card, so that looks interesting.
>> Will I be able to transfer money onto it in USD directly from
>> PayPal though?
>
> You dont need to transfer it directly from paypal, just move
> it from paypal to anywhere paypal will move it to and them
> to the HSBC account that has the card.

Like I say, my other accounts don't accept USD (except the Aus Post
card that PayPal won't put money on) so then I'd need PayPal to
convert to AUD to put it in an AUD account, then I'd convert the
AUD back to USD to go into the HSBC account. So I'd be paying about
the same currency conversion fees as just paying in USD from an AUD
account after transferring the money from PayPal in AUD. If I could
do it all in USD, then I'd avoid both those conversion fees (indeed
there should be no fees at all with the HSBC account if it supports
"eCheque" transfer from PayPal).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h4e67nybyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4000&group=aus.computers#4000

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 07:58:09 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:58 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> I get some payments in USD in PayPal. Often I need to buy from
>>> online stores that use USD but only accept credit/debit card, not
>>> PayPal. So rather than paying AUD-USD currency conversion fees, it
>>> would be good to transfer the USD balance off PayPal into a USD bank
>>> account with a debit card usable for online purchases.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know good options for this in Australia? The only card
>>> I've got that takes foreign currency is my Australia Post Prepaid
>>> Mastercard, but PayPal won't transfer money onto it, and many
>>> online stores reject that card for some reason.
>>>
>>> CBA, NAB, and Westpac have foreign currency accounts but they don't
>>> come with a card, so they're no good for online purchases.
>>>
>>> HSBC offer a "Global" Visa debit card, so that looks interesting.
>>> Will I be able to transfer money onto it in USD directly from
>>> PayPal though?
>>
>> You dont need to transfer it directly from paypal, just move
>> it from paypal to anywhere paypal will move it to and them
>> to the HSBC account that has the card.

> Like I say, my other accounts don't accept USD (except the AusPost card
> that PayPal won't put money on) so then I'd needPayPal to convert to
> AUD to put it in an AUD account, then I'dconvert the AUD back to USD to
> go into the HSBC account.

Nope, you can open a USD account with any bank that
offers those, list that with paypal and have paypal transfer
the USDs to that account and then move it from there to
the HSBC account which has a card on it.

> So I'd be paying about
> the same currency conversion fees as just paying in USD from an AUD
> account after transferring the money from PayPal in AUD. If I could
> do it all in USD, then I'd avoid both those conversion fees (indeed
> there should be no fees at all with the HSBC account if it supports
> "eCheque" transfer from PayPal).

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<22m5ri9m1fq0qant5a3orlsl2t9ar1f0e9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4001&group=aus.computers#4001

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:55:48 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:55 UTC

On 25 Jan 2024 17:35:32 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev
<not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>I get some payments in USD in PayPal. Often I need to buy from
>online stores that use USD but only accept credit/debit card, not
>PayPal. So rather than paying AUD-USD currency conversion fees, it
>would be good to transfer the USD balance off PayPal into a USD bank
>account with a debit card usable for online purchases.

The reserve bank might facilitate direct transfers to any bank in the
world and so bypass all the credit-card sharks.
And give the round-table gaggle of the present arrangement.

I'll bet the Govt regrets flogging off the Commonwealth bank.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<65b2db10@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4002&group=aus.computers#4002

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 26 Jan 2024 08:05:05 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:05 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> You dont need to transfer it directly from paypal, just move
>>> it from paypal to anywhere paypal will move it to and them
>>> to the HSBC account that has the card.
>
>> Like I say, my other accounts don't accept USD (except the AusPost card
>> that PayPal won't put money on) so then I'd need PayPal to convert to
>> AUD to put it in an AUD account, then I'dconvert the AUD back to USD to
>> go into the HSBC account.
>
> Nope, you can open a USD account with any bank that
> offers those, list that with paypal and have paypal transfer
> the USDs to that account and then move it from there to
> the HSBC account which has a card on it.

Well yes, that's an option. It seems those others often have
relatively high fixed transaction fees though, unlike the HSBC and
Wise accounts/cards. So then it would only be worthwhile for big
transactions, plus more effort to set up and manage.

The difference for whether I can transfer money out of PayPal seems
to be whether a bank is offering a full bank account or just a
card, so I might be able to work out what to ask HSBC in advance if
I can pin down exactly how to describe that detail.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h4jy7jubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4003&group=aus.computers#4003

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:41:21 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:41 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Like I say, my other accounts don't accept USD (except the AusPost
>>> card
>>> that PayPal won't put money on) so then I'd need PayPal to convert to
>>> AUD to put it in an AUD account, then I'dconvert the AUD back to USD
>>> go into the HSBC account.
>>
>> Nope, you can open a USD account with any bank that
>> offers those, list that with paypal and have paypal transfer
>> the USDs to that account and then move it from there to
>> the HSBC account which has a card on it.

> Well yes, that's an option. It seems those others oftenhave relatively
> high fixed transaction fees though,

Never found that and I do have a lot of bank accounts.

> unlike the HSBC and Wise accounts/cards.

> So then it would only be worthwhile for big transactions,plus more
> effort to set up and manage.

HSBC can be a complete pain the in arse to deal with.

> The difference for whether I can transfer money out of PayPalseems to
> be whether a bank is offering a full bank account orjust a card, so I
> might be able to work out what to ask HSBCin advance if I can pin down
> exactly how to describe that detail.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<65b31380@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4004&group=aus.computers#4004

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 26 Jan 2024 12:05:52 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:05 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Nope, you can open a USD account with any bank that
>>> offers those, list that with paypal and have paypal transfer
>>> the USDs to that account and then move it from there to
>>> the HSBC account which has a card on it.
>
>> Well yes, that's an option. It seems those others oftenhave relatively
>> high fixed transaction fees though,
>
> Never found that and I do have a lot of bank accounts.

The foreign currency accounts seem different, although it seems
that none of the outgoing transfer fees apply for online transfers.

Fees for receiving foreign money to foreign currency accounts:
CBA: "Up to $11"
Westpac: $12 for receiving the equivalent of $100 AUD or more,
otherwise free
NAB: "Up to $15"
St George: $12

The "up to" fees make it a bit hard to pick, but yeah I think they
all have to be cheaper than the AUD conversion fees I'm paying for
most of the USD purchases I make. But can I transfer from them to
the HSBC card in USD to use their Visa card for online purchases?
I can't do a bank transfer onto the Aus Post card in USD, it only
accepts AUD and they do the conversion themselves (at their
conversion rate which includes a fee). I'm starting to suspect that
the HSBC and Wise cards might be the same.

>> unlike the HSBC and Wise accounts/cards.
>
>> So then it would only be worthwhile for big transactions,plus more
>> effort to set up and manage.
>
> HSBC can be a complete pain the in arse to deal with.

Noted.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h4v77unbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4005&group=aus.computers#4005

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:05:57 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:05 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Well yes, that's an option. It seems those others oftenhave relatively
>>> high fixed transaction fees though,
>>
>> Never found that and I do have a lot of bank accounts.

> The foreign currency accounts seem different, although it seems
> that none of the outgoing transfer fees apply for online transfers.

And that's what matters in your case.

> Fees for receiving foreign money to foreign currency accounts:
> CBA: "Up to $11"
> Westpac: $12 for receiving the equivalent of $100 AUD or more,
> otherwise free

So this would be fine for you.

> NAB: "Up to $15"
> St George: $12

> The "up to" fees make it a bit hard to pick,

Maybe thats what the NAB and CBA mean, free for lower amounts.
No reason why you can't do your transfers from PayPal in small
enough amounts of that is always free unless you recieve lots of USDs.

> but yeah I think they
> all have to be cheaper than the AUD conversion fees I'm paying for
> most of the USD purchases I make. But can I transfer from them to
> the HSBC card in USD to use their Visa card for online purchases?

Can't see why not.

> I can't do a bank transfer onto the Aus Post card in USD, it only
> accepts AUD and they do the conversion themselves (at their
> conversion rate which includes a fee). I'm starting to suspectthat the
> HSBC and Wise cards might be the same.

Can't see why it should be with the HSBC card.

>>> unlike the HSBC and Wise accounts/cards.
>>
>>> So then it would only be worthwhile for big transactions,plus more
>>> effort to set up and manage.
>>
>> HSBC can be a complete pain the in arse to deal with.
>
> Noted.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h4wnnmcbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4006&group=aus.computers#4006

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:13 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:15 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:05:57 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Never found that and I do have a lot of bank accounts.
>
>> The foreign currency accounts seem different, although it seems
>> that none of the outgoing transfer fees apply for online transfers.
>
> And that's what matters in your case.
>
>> Fees for receiving foreign money to foreign currency accounts:
>> CBA: "Up to $11"
>> Westpac: $12 for receiving the equivalent of $100 AUD or more,
>> otherwise free
>
> So this would be fine for you.
>
>> NAB: "Up to $15"
>> St George: $12
>
>> The "up to" fees make it a bit hard to pick,
>
> Maybe thats what the NAB and CBA mean, free for lower amounts.
> No reason why you can't do your transfers from PayPal in small
> enough amounts of that is always free unless you recieve lots of USDs.
>
>> but yeah I think they
>> all have to be cheaper than the AUD conversion fees I'm paying for
>> most of the USD purchases I make. But can I transfer from them to
>> the HSBC card in USD to use their Visa card for online purchases?
>
> Can't see why not.
>
>> I can't do a bank transfer onto the Aus Post card in USD, it only
>> accepts AUD and they do the conversion themselves (at their
>> conversion rate which includes a fee). I'm starting to suspectthat the
>> HSBC and Wise cards might be the same.
>
> Can't see why it should be with the HSBC card.

>>> HSBC can be a complete pain the in arse to deal with.
>>
>> Noted.

https://www.worldremit.com/en/blog/life-abroad/open-us-bank-account

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h4wpyiabyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4007&group=aus.computers#4007

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:16:36 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:16 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:13 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:05:57 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The foreign currency accounts seem different, although it seems
>>> that none of the outgoing transfer fees apply for online transfers.
>>
>> And that's what matters in your case.
>>
>>> Fees for receiving foreign money to foreign currency accounts:
>>> CBA: "Up to $11"
>>> Westpac: $12 for receiving the equivalent of $100 AUD or more,
>>> otherwise free
>>
>> So this would be fine for you.
>>
>>> NAB: "Up to $15"
>>> St George: $12
>>
>>> The "up to" fees make it a bit hard to pick,
>>
>> Maybe thats what the NAB and CBA mean, free for lower amounts.
>> No reason why you can't do your transfers from PayPal in small
>> enough amounts of that is always free unless you recieve lots of USDs.
>>
>>> but yeah I think they
>>> all have to be cheaper than the AUD conversion fees I'm paying for
>>> most of the USD purchases I make. But can I transfer from them to
>>> the HSBC card in USD to use their Visa card for online purchases?
>>
>> Can't see why not.
>>
>>> I can't do a bank transfer onto the Aus Post card in USD, it only
>>> accepts AUD and they do the conversion themselves (at their
>>> conversion rate which includes a fee). I'm starting to suspectthat
>>> the HSBC and Wise cards might be the same.
>>
>> Can't see why it should be with the HSBC card.

>>> Noted.
>
> https://www.worldremit.com/en/blog/life-abroad/open-us-bank-account

https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<65b43620@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4011&group=aus.computers#4011

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 27 Jan 2024 08:45:53 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:45 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Never found that and I do have a lot of bank accounts.
>
>> The foreign currency accounts seem different, although it seems
>> that none of the outgoing transfer fees apply for online transfers.
>
> And that's what matters in your case.
>
>> Fees for receiving foreign money to foreign currency accounts:
>> CBA: "Up to $11"
>> Westpac: $12 for receiving the equivalent of $100 AUD or more,
>> otherwise free
>
> So this would be fine for you.
>
>> NAB: "Up to $15"
>> St George: $12
>
>> The "up to" fees make it a bit hard to pick,
>
> Maybe thats what the NAB and CBA mean, free for lower amounts.
> No reason why you can't do your transfers from PayPal in small
> enough amounts of that is always free unless you recieve lots of USDs.
>
>> but yeah I think they
>> all have to be cheaper than the AUD conversion fees I'm paying for
>> most of the USD purchases I make. But can I transfer from them to
>> the HSBC card in USD to use their Visa card for online purchases?
>
> Can't see why not.
>
>> I can't do a bank transfer onto the Aus Post card in USD, it only
>> accepts AUD and they do the conversion themselves (at their
>> conversion rate which includes a fee). I'm starting to suspectthat the
>> HSBC and Wise cards might be the same.
>
> Can't see why it should be with the HSBC card.

Yes it seems that's OK, their personal banking booklet says on pg.
29 that for non-AUD payments into the Everyday Global account
"Transactions can be settled in the same foreign currency", for
supported currencies.

But I followed up the references I read to transferring USD out of
non-US PayPal accounts and it's not quite as simple as I thought.
The PayPal user agreement actually says you can transfer US Dollars
to a US bank account. So the foreign currency accounts won't work
because they're still Australian accounts. I'd need an actual bank
account in the USA.

I saw the links you posted about how to get one of those, but since
I haven't got any connection or travel plans to the USA, it looks
pretty tricky opening a US bank account from Aus.

On the Wise page:
"Can you open a US bank account from overseas??
It is possible in theory to set up a US bank account online from
abroad -- but in practice it's usually hard to find a traditional
bank which will let foreigners get full access to an account online.
That may mean you can start your application remotely, but need to
attend a branch to get verified, for example." ...
https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident

Also I see now that PayPal charge a 3% fee for Australian USD
transfers to a US bank, which is about the same fee that I get
charged for converted USD payments out of the AUD bank account I
use for that at the moment, although I would at least avoid the
currency conversion fees from PayPal and the debit card company.
https://www.paypal.com/au/legalhub/useragreement-full

Overall it looks like more work and less benefit than I
anticipated, so I think I'll give up there, but at least now I
know.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h6g15a5byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4013&group=aus.computers#4013

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:33:31 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:33 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The foreign currency accounts seem different, although it seems
>>> that none of the outgoing transfer fees apply for online transfers.
>>
>> And that's what matters in your case.
>>
>>> Fees for receiving foreign money to foreign currency accounts:
>>> CBA: "Up to $11"
>>> Westpac: $12 for receiving the equivalent of $100 AUD or more,
>>> otherwise free
>>
>> So this would be fine for you.
>>
>>> NAB: "Up to $15"
>>> St George: $12
>>
>>> The "up to" fees make it a bit hard to pick,
>>
>> Maybe thats what the NAB and CBA mean, free for lower amounts.
>> No reason why you can't do your transfers from PayPal in small
>> enough amounts of that is always free unless you recieve lots of USDs.
>>
>>> but yeah I think they
>>> all have to be cheaper than the AUD conversion fees I'm paying for
>>> most of the USD purchases I make. But can I transfer from them to
>>> the HSBC card in USD to use their Visa card for online purchases?
>>
>> Can't see why not.
>>
>>> I can't do a bank transfer onto the Aus Post card in USD, it only
>>> accepts AUD and they do the conversion themselves (at their
>>> conversion rate which includes a fee). I'm starting to suspectthat the
>>> HSBC and Wise cards might be the same.
>>
>> Can't see why it should be with the HSBC card.
>
> Yes it seems that's OK, their personal banking booklet says on pg.
> 29 that for non-AUD payments into the Everyday Global account
> "Transactions can be settled in the same foreign currency", for
> supported currencies.
>
> But I followed up the references I read to transferring USD out of
> non-US PayPal accounts and it's not quite as simple as I thought.
> The PayPal user agreement actually says you can transfer US Dollars
> to a US bank account. So the foreign currency accounts won't work
> because they're still Australian accounts. I'd need an actual bank
> account in the USA.
>
> I saw the links you posted about how to get one of those, but since
> I haven't got any connection or travel plans to the USA, it looks
> pretty tricky opening a US bank account from Aus.
>
> On the Wise page:
> "Can you open a US bank account from overseas??
> It is possible in theory to set up a US bank account online from
> abroad -- but in practice it's usually hard to find a traditional
> bank which will let foreigners get full access to an account online.
> That may mean you can start your application remotely, but need to
> attend a branch to get verified, for example." ...
> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident

But it does say that some of the big international US banks do
allow it. But they arent that interested in small personal accounts.

> Also I see now that PayPal charge a 3% fee for Australian USD
> transfers to a US bank, which is about the same fee that I get
> charged for converted USD payments out of the AUD bank account I
> use for that at the moment, although I would at least avoid the
> currency conversion fees from PayPal and the debit card company.
> https://www.paypal.com/au/legalhub/useragreement-full
>
> Overall it looks like more work and less benefit than I
> anticipated, so I think I'll give up there, but at least now I
> know.

Thanks for the washup.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<44i8ripfqo9pg26ge76qh7b5olgq6am5pv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4014&group=aus.computers#4014

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:07:12 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:07 UTC

On 27 Jan 2024 08:45:53 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
Kev) wrote:

> [...]
>
> It is possible in theory to set up a US bank account online from
> abroad -- but in practice it's usually hard to find a traditional
> bank which will let foreigners get full access to an account online.
>
> That may mean you can start your application remotely, but need to
> attend a branch to get verified, for example." ...
>https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident
>
>Also I see now that PayPal charge a 3% fee for Australian USD
>transfers to a US bank, which is about the same fee that I get
>charged for converted USD payments out of the AUD bank account I
>use for that at the moment, although I would at least avoid the
>currency conversion fees from PayPal and the debit card company.
>https://www.paypal.com/au/legalhub/useragreement-full
>
>Overall it looks like more work and less benefit than I
>anticipated, so I think I'll give up there, but at least now I

Maybe this is what you want?
<https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/send-receive-money/request-money#:~:text=To%20accept%20the%20money%2C%20you,know%20you%20have%20money%20available.>
or https://t.ly/TaP5u
Request and receive money
Request. Receive. Rejoice.
Need a friend to pay you back? Collecting rent from the roomies?
Settle up with PayPal. Your money goes right to your account. It can
be ready when you need it.1
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of QantasÂ’
exclusive ChairmanÂ’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h6jnod5byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4015&group=aus.computers#4015

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:29:38 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:29 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> And that's what matters in your case.

>>> So this would be fine for you.

>>> Maybe thats what the NAB and CBA mean, free for lower amounts.
>>> No reason why you can't do your transfers from PayPal in small
>>> enough amounts of that is always free unless you recieve lots of USDs.

>>> Can't see why not.

>>> Can't see why it should be with the HSBC card.
>>
>> Yes it seems that's OK, their personal banking booklet says on pg.
>> 29 that for non-AUD payments into the Everyday Global account
>> "Transactions can be settled in the same foreign currency", for
>> supported currencies.
>>
>> But I followed up the references I read to transferring USD out of
>> non-US PayPal accounts and it's not quite as simple as I thought.
>> The PayPal user agreement actually says you can transfer US Dollars
>> to a US bank account. So the foreign currency accounts won't work
>> because they're still Australian accounts. I'd need an actual bank
>> account in the USA.
>>
>> I saw the links you posted about how to get one of those, but since
>> I haven't got any connection or travel plans to the USA, it looks
>> pretty tricky opening a US bank account from Aus.
>>
>> On the Wise page:
>> "Can you open a US bank account from overseas??
>>
>> It is possible in theory to set up a US bank account online from
>> abroad -- but in practice it's usually hard to find a traditional
>> bank which will let foreigners get full access to an account online.
>>
>> That may mean you can start your application remotely, but need to
>> attend a branch to get verified, for example." ...
>> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident
>>
>> Also I see now that PayPal charge a 3% fee for Australian USD
>> transfers to a US bank, which is about the same fee that I get
>> charged for converted USD payments out of the AUD bank account I
>> use for that at the moment, although I would at least avoid the
>> currency conversion fees from PayPal and the debit card company.
>> https://www.paypal.com/au/legalhub/useragreement-full
>>
>> Overall it looks like more work and less benefit than I
>> anticipated, so I think I'll give up there, but at least now I
>> know.
>>
> Maybe this is what you want?
> <https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/send-receive-money/request-money#:~:text=To%20accept%20the%20money%2C%20you,know%20you%20have%20money%20available.>
> or https://t.ly/TaP5u
> Request and receive money
> Request. Receive. Rejoice.
> Need a friend to pay you back? Collecting rent from the roomies?
> Settle up with PayPal. Your money goes right to your account. It can
> be ready when you need it.1

That won't do what he wants to do.

He has USDs in his paypal account and want to spend
some of it on purchases which won't accept paypal.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<1k69rihcrqsqt0kist50bfm5d03acrpgr2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4018&group=aus.computers#4018

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:55:52 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 05:55 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:29:38 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
>> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote

>>> Yes it seems that's OK, their personal banking booklet says on pg.
>>> 29 that for non-AUD payments into the Everyday Global account
>>> "Transactions can be settled in the same foreign currency", for
>>> supported currencies.
>>>
>>> But I followed up the references I read to transferring USD out of
>>> non-US PayPal accounts and it's not quite as simple as I thought.
>>> The PayPal user agreement actually says you can transfer US Dollars
>>> to a US bank account. So the foreign currency accounts won't work
>>> because they're still Australian accounts. I'd need an actual bank
>>> account in the USA.
>>>
>>> I saw the links you posted about how to get one of those, but since
>>> I haven't got any connection or travel plans to the USA, it looks
>>> pretty tricky opening a US bank account from Aus.
>>>
>>> On the Wise page:
>>> "Can you open a US bank account from overseas??
>>>
>>> It is possible in theory to set up a US bank account online from
>>> abroad -- but in practice it's usually hard to find a traditional
>>> bank which will let foreigners get full access to an account online.
>>>
>>> That may mean you can start your application remotely, but need to
>>> attend a branch to get verified, for example." ...
>>> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident
>>>
>>> Also I see now that PayPal charge a 3% fee for Australian USD
>>> transfers to a US bank, which is about the same fee that I get
>>> charged for converted USD payments out of the AUD bank account I
>>> use for that at the moment, although I would at least avoid the
>>> currency conversion fees from PayPal and the debit card company.
>>> https://www.paypal.com/au/legalhub/useragreement-full
>>>
>>> Overall it looks like more work and less benefit than I
>>> anticipated, so I think I'll give up there, but at least now I
>>> know.
>>>
>> Maybe this is what you want?
>> <https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/send-receive-money/request-money#:~:text=To%20accept%20the%20money%2C%20you,know%20you%20have%20money%20available.>
>> or https://t.ly/TaP5u
>> Request and receive money
>> Request. Receive. Rejoice.
>> Need a friend to pay you back? Collecting rent from the roomies?
>> Settle up with PayPal. Your money goes right to your account. It can
>> be ready when you need it.1
>
>That won't do what he wants to do.
>
>He has USDs in his paypal account and want to spend
>some of it on purchases which won't accept paypal.

Not sure he would have to ask if yhey would pay money in this account
to hus BSB number?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<0r69rid29lt8rppl9klrtbt7ctedahoqdl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4019&group=aus.computers#4019

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:02:42 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 06:02 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:29:38 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
>> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote

>>> Yes it seems that's OK, their personal banking booklet says on pg.
>>> 29 that for non-AUD payments into the Everyday Global account
>>> "Transactions can be settled in the same foreign currency", for
>>> supported currencies.
>>>
>>> But I followed up the references I read to transferring USD out of
>>> non-US PayPal accounts and it's not quite as simple as I thought.
>>> The PayPal user agreement actually says you can transfer US Dollars
>>> to a US bank account. So the foreign currency accounts won't work
>>> because they're still Australian accounts. I'd need an actual bank
>>> account in the USA.
>>>
>>> I saw the links you posted about how to get one of those, but since
>>> I haven't got any connection or travel plans to the USA, it looks
>>> pretty tricky opening a US bank account from Aus.
>>>
>>> On the Wise page:
>>> "Can you open a US bank account from overseas??
>>>
>>> It is possible in theory to set up a US bank account online from
>>> abroad -- but in practice it's usually hard to find a traditional
>>> bank which will let foreigners get full access to an account online.
>>>
>>> That may mean you can start your application remotely, but need to
>>> attend a branch to get verified, for example." ...
>>> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident
>>>
>>> Also I see now that PayPal charge a 3% fee for Australian USD
>>> transfers to a US bank, which is about the same fee that I get
>>> charged for converted USD payments out of the AUD bank account I
>>> use for that at the moment, although I would at least avoid the
>>> currency conversion fees from PayPal and the debit card company.
>>> https://www.paypal.com/au/legalhub/useragreement-full
>>>
>>> Overall it looks like more work and less benefit than I
>>> anticipated, so I think I'll give up there, but at least now I
>>> know.
>>>
>> Maybe this is what you want?
>> <https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/send-receive-money/request-money#:~:text=To%20accept%20the%20money%2C%20you,know%20you%20have%20money%20available.>
>> or https://t.ly/TaP5u
>> Request and receive money
>> Request. Receive. Rejoice.
>> Need a friend to pay you back? Collecting rent from the roomies?
>> Settle up with PayPal. Your money goes right to your account. It can
>> be ready when you need it.1
>
>That won't do what he wants to do.
>
>He has USDs in his paypal account and want to spend
>some of it on purchases which won't accept paypal.

From above link it says you can transfer money to your bank account
<https://www.paypal.com/us/digital-wallet/send-receive-money/request-money#:~:text=To%20accept%20the%20money%2C%20you,know%20you%20have%20money%20available>
or https://t.ly/8LpvL
Scroll down to
"Can I transfer the money I receive in my account with PayPal?
Yes, you can access the money you receive on your account with PayPal,
and you can then choose to:"

Click here to read the complete article
Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<op.2h65sqdpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4022&group=aus.computers#4022

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:27:52 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 08:27 UTC

<op.2h65y0csbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4023&group=aus.computers#4023

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:31:38 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 08:31 UTC

<l1me4pFcs8bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4026&group=aus.computers#4026

From: user@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:30:34 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 07:30 UTC

On 26/01/2024 1:16 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:13 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident

I had a Bank of America account, but stupidly I let it lapse. I didn't
have any problem opening it, but I do have a social security number.

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<qrbdri90ofs2oharhe3svnaqajc83ckhju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4033&group=aus.computers#4033

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 06:50:13 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:50 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:30:34 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid>
wrote:

>On 26/01/2024 1:16 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:13 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident
>
>I had a Bank of America account, but stupidly I let it lapse. I didn't
>have any problem opening it, but I do have a social security number.

I often buy US products using paypal and sometime it is coverted by
PayPal to Australian. But I ony buy do not sell
--
Petzl
TRUMP ISN'T RUNNING AGAINST BIDEN HE'S RUNNING AGAINST THE CLINTON'S,

Re: USD Bank Accounts for Debit Card and PayPal Transfers

<65b6c823@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4034&group=aus.computers#4034

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 29 Jan 2024 07:33:24 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:33 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 1:16 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:13 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> https://wise.com/us/blog/open-a-us-bank-account-non-resident
>
> I had a Bank of America account, but stupidly I let it lapse. I didn't
> have any problem opening it, but I do have a social security number.

I've never even been there myself, so it looks like it would be a
bit of a mountain to climb.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |