Say no, then negotiate. -- Helga

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

SubjectAuthor
* Warning - fake TV licence renewalScott
+* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalAndy Burns
|`* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalScott
| `- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewaljon
+* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalalan_m
|`- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalAnthonyL
`* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalBrian Gaff
 +* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewaljon
 |`* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalMark Carver
 | +* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalRoderick Stewart
 | |+* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalJim Lesurf
 | ||+* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalRoderick Stewart
 | ||`- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalMB
 | |+* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalBrian Gaff
 | ||`* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalJim Lesurf
 | || +* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalalan_m
 | || `- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalMB
 | |`- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalScott
 | `- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalMB
 `* Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalMB
  +- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalWoody
  `- Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewalScott

1
Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<k0su7i5hujibehl9lqpqf4mu0e557743ep@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41070&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41070

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Warning - fake TV licence renewal
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 18:46:30 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 17:46 UTC

I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
might have been more convincing. I won't quote the sender's address
but it purports to come from Japan.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<ke9dblF8dmeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41074&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41074

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 19:48:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 18:48 UTC

Scott wrote:

> I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
> I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
> might have been more convincing.

TV Licensing use the verb "license" and the noun "licence" which is what
I've always believed to be correct in British English...

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<ke9n2kF9mf6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41078&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41078

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 22:34:13 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:34 UTC

On 06/06/2023 18:46, Scott wrote:
> I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
> I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
> might have been more convincing. I won't quote the sender's address
> but it purports to come from Japan.

I've had lots of them. The first one arrived a couple of days after my
yearly DD had been taken. Some of the wording is more convincing than
others but with some they completely fail to realise what the TV licence
is about - If I don't provide my bank details and set-up a new direct
debit my TV licence account will be terminated and my TV will be
disabled. :)

Most of them do have a .jp domain address.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<ff818ih4jatov1l1vnr9n3ehs2s1nmmio2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41093&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41093

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 16:30:14 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 15:30 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 19:48:21 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
>> I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
>> might have been more convincing.
>
>TV Licensing use the verb "license" and the noun "licence" which is what
>I've always believed to be correct in British English...

My understanding too.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<6480e718.210290765@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41099&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41099

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 20:28:13 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 20:28 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 22:34:13 +0100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 06/06/2023 18:46, Scott wrote:
>> I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
>> I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
>> might have been more convincing. I won't quote the sender's address
>> but it purports to come from Japan.
>

>I've had lots of them. The first one arrived a couple of days after my
>yearly DD had been taken. Some of the wording is more convincing than
>others but with some they completely fail to realise what the TV licence
>is about - If I don't provide my bank details and set-up a new direct
>debit my TV licence account will be terminated and my TV will be
>disabled. :)
>
>Most of them do have a .jp domain address.

Yes but when AI really kicks in the emails will be a lot more
convincing.

The one I received (forwarded to report@phishing.gov.uk but not sure
if worthwhile, and don't understand why the sophisticated SPAM filter
system at major ISPs can't highlight them) reads as follows:

<quote>
Subject: Choose how you want to pay your licensing. Make sure
you have your bank account details ready and follow a few simple
steps. jKRnZSqXfC
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:14:21 +0000
From: 521 myTV.Licence live on any streaming service
<wistaria@mti.biglobe.ne.jp>
To: <me>

We have tried to contact you today regarding your tv licence.
INVOICE SI-1e5ce4ac7cbc1b4

This message is intended for <me>

We did not received your payment.

No TV? Not watching TV live on any channel or service, or BBC
iPlayer*?

Empty property?

You can let us know here by completing a No Licence Needed
declaration.

Update your payment now

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

- watch or record TV on any channel - via any TV service (e.g. Sky,
Virgin, BT, Freeview, Freesat)

- watch TV live on any streaming service (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4,
YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go)

- watch BBC iPlayer*.

Television UK
</quote>

Needs some work.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u5upoj$1s7t7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41104&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41104

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:01:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 09:01 UTC

This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't have my
email, its obviously rubbish.

I like the ones that say a leak has been discovered on your property in the
water main, we charge a flat rate of, xx pounds, on the receipt of your bank
details we will be in touch to set up a survey appointment.
Yours Thames Water.

What a load of old tosh.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
> I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
> might have been more convincing. I won't quote the sender's address
> but it purports to come from Japan.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u5utd3$1sia5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41105&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41105

From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:03:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:03 UTC

On Fri, 09 Jun 2023 10:01:03 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

> This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't
> have my email, its obviously rubbish.
>
> I like the ones that say a leak has been discovered on your property in
> the water main, we charge a flat rate of, xx pounds, on the receipt of
> your bank details we will be in touch to set up a survey appointment.
> Yours Thames Water.
>
> What a load of old tosh.
> Brian

Yesterday, I had an Indian accent purporting to be from my bank telling me
someone was just about to make a £3500 purchase on by bank account, so I
said 'stop it then' and hung up.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<kegdeaF8n69U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41106&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41106

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:32:42 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:32 UTC

On 09/06/2023 11:03, jon wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2023 10:01:03 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't
>> have my email, its obviously rubbish.
>>
>> I like the ones that say a leak has been discovered on your property in
>> the water main, we charge a flat rate of, xx pounds, on the receipt of
>> your bank details we will be in touch to set up a survey appointment.
>> Yours Thames Water.
>>
>> What a load of old tosh.
>> Brian
> Yesterday, I had an Indian accent purporting to be from my bank telling me
> someone was just about to make a £3500 purchase on by bank account, so I
> said 'stop it then' and hung up.
So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<9v368iduekun4us8t7pkg3i6gjnbht1sqa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41107&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41107

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 12:48:02 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:48 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:32:42 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 09/06/2023 11:03, jon wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Jun 2023 10:01:03 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't
>>> have my email, its obviously rubbish.
>>>
>>> I like the ones that say a leak has been discovered on your property in
>>> the water main, we charge a flat rate of, xx pounds, on the receipt of
>>> your bank details we will be in touch to set up a survey appointment.
>>> Yours Thames Water.
>>>
>>> What a load of old tosh.
>>> Brian
>> Yesterday, I had an Indian accent purporting to be from my bank telling me
>> someone was just about to make a £3500 purchase on by bank account, so I
>> said 'stop it then' and hung up.
>So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language

They're probably accustomed to it and unmoved by it. The best way of
getting to them in a manner that actually means something to them is
to mess with their computing systems, warn their victims, or hand over
their details to the Indian Police.

If you haven't got the time, energy or expertise to do this yourself,
there is satisfaction to be drawn by watching it being done with style
by various scambusters on Youtube.

Rod.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<5ab1d102ffnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41109&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41109

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 23 14:30:02 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 14:30 UTC

In article <9v368iduekun4us8t7pkg3i6gjnbht1sqa@4ax.com>, Roderick Stewart
<rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Yesterday, I had an Indian accent purporting to be from my bank
> >> telling me someone was just about to make a £3500 purchase on by bank
> >> account, so I said 'stop it then' and hung up.
> >So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language

I just let the answerphone take such calls. So far as I'm concerned *if* my
bank was feeling that a requested debit from my account was dodgy then
their job is to refuse it *unless* I were to say it was OK. i.e. silence is
NON-consent. For them to take no reply as consent would be crazy because
a 'no response' may be becuase I was out, or in the bathroom, or having
a nap, or...

> If you haven't got the time, energy or expertise to do this yourself,
> there is satisfaction to be drawn by watching it being done with style
> by various scambusters on Youtube.

Example URLs? Sounds interesting as a spectator sport if nothing else.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<meg68ihm0h7c8935pgfcrjjt06viq048sl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41110&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41110

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 16:22:24 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:22 UTC

On Fri, 09 Jun 23 14:30:02 UTC, Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk>
wrote:

>> >So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language
>
>I just let the answerphone take such calls. So far as I'm concerned *if* my
>bank was feeling that a requested debit from my account was dodgy then
>their job is to refuse it *unless* I were to say it was OK. i.e. silence is
>NON-consent. For them to take no reply as consent would be crazy because
>a 'no response' may be becuase I was out, or in the bathroom, or having
>a nap, or...
>
>> If you haven't got the time, energy or expertise to do this yourself,
>> there is satisfaction to be drawn by watching it being done with style
>> by various scambusters on Youtube.
>
>Example URLs? Sounds interesting as a spectator sport if nothing else.
>
>Jim

Here are a few of the best known ones-

https://www.youtube.com/@JimBrowning
https://www.youtube.com/@irlrosie
https://www.youtube.com/@Scambaiter
https://www.youtube.com/@ScammerRevolts
https://www.youtube.com/@ScammerPayback

Most of them use computer software skills to work their mischief,
though irlrosie takes a different approach. She's a voice actress who
uses acting skills, or perhaps you might call it 'social engineering'
to string the scammers along and waste their time for as long as
possible. Jim Browning is IMHO the best organised of them, and has
even had mainstream TV documentaries made about his work. (Can't
remember which channel).

Rod.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u5vg3h$1udrl$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41111&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41111

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 16:22:24 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:22 UTC

On 09/06/2023 10:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
> This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't have my
> email, its obviously rubbish.

When they ring to tell you they are Microsoft and you have a virus or
something in your computer, a friend used to ask 'which computer, I have
several?'

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u5vg6p$1udrl$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41112&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41112

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 16:24:09 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:24 UTC

On 09/06/2023 11:32, Mark Carver wrote:
> So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language

It can backfire, apart you probably breaking the law, they can flag your
number as being someone very easily conned so other scammers call it.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u5vgag$1udrl$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41113&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41113

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 16:26:07 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:26 UTC

On 09/06/2023 15:30, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> I just let the answerphone take such calls. So far as I'm concerned*if* my
> bank was feeling that a requested debit from my account was dodgy then
> their job is to refuse it*unless* I were to say it was OK. i.e. silence is
> NON-consent. For them to take no reply as consent would be crazy because
> a 'no response' may be becuase I was out, or in the bathroom, or having
> a nap, or...

As soon as I hear a noisy line with various clicks as the system tries
to find someone to connect you to, I just hang up.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u5vi63$1unnj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41115&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41115

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 16:57:53 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:57 UTC

On Fri 09/06/2023 16:22, MB wrote:
> On 09/06/2023 10:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't
>> have my
>> email, its obviously rubbish.
>

> When they ring to tell you they are Microsoft and you have a virus or
> something in your computer, a friend used to ask 'which computer, I have
> several?'

On one occasion about 3 years ago I got one of these M$ calls. The told
me to find the Windows key; I acted daft to show them I don't have a
Windows key, so they diverted to their backup of using a browser.

I was told to "open up the Google" (exact words.) Again I acted daft so
they talked me through it, that was until I said I didn't have Google -
I use Safari on a Mac (I lied!)

Click, call gone, and I don't think I have had one since.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u6065r$2117t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41117&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41117

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 22:39:06 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 21:39 UTC

On 09/06/2023 16:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> Here are a few of the best known ones-

By far the best is the person claiming that he is a police detective at
a murder scene and wants to know long the caller knew the deceased etc ....

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u61lup$29lib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41118&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41118

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 12:14:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 11:14 UTC

Yes I had a bloke from Ireland by his accent try to sell me burglar alarms
the other day.
Is your house alarmed sir?
Me.
Alarmed? Its bloody terrified I said and put the phone down.
You will soon be getting people coming around selling fake toilet rolls at
this rate.
Brian

--

--:
"Roderick Stewart" <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:32:42 +0100, Mark Carver
> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yesterday, I had an Indian accent purporting to be from my bank telling
>>> me
>>> someone was just about to make a �3500 purchase on by bank account, so I
>>> said 'stop it then' and hung up.
>>So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language
>
> They're probably accustomed to it and unmoved by it. The best way of
> getting to them in a manner that actually means something to them is
> to mess with their computing systems, warn their victims, or hand over
> their details to the Indian Police.
>
> If you haven't got the time, energy or expertise to do this yourself,
> there is satisfaction to be drawn by watching it being done with style
> by various scambusters on Youtube.
>
> Rod.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<5ab25f5715noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41128&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41128

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 23 08:45:01 UTC
From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 08:45 UTC

Used toilet rolls on offer at a 'bottom' price?

In article <u61lup$29lib$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I had a bloke from Ireland by his accent try to sell me burglar
> alarms the other day. Is your house alarmed sir? Me. Alarmed? Its bloody
> terrified I said and put the phone down. You will soon be getting people
> coming around selling fake toilet rolls at this rate. Brian

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<kelhc4F3l8gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41129&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41129

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 10:10:29 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 09:10 UTC

On 11/06/2023 09:45, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> Used toilet rolls on offer at a 'bottom' price?

You can already buy recycled toilet paper :)

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u64mbg$2nl4n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41144&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41144

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:39:44 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:39 UTC

On 11/06/2023 09:45, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> Used toilet rolls on offer at a 'bottom' price?

Both sides used or just one side?

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<putb8iprl6t20g3qk1abkucsoc0bpt9343@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41151&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41151

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 17:40:50 +0100
 by: Scott - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

On Fri, 09 Jun 2023 12:48:02 +0100, Roderick Stewart
<rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:32:42 +0100, Mark Carver
><mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yesterday, I had an Indian accent purporting to be from my bank telling me
>>> someone was just about to make a £3500 purchase on by bank account, so I
>>> said 'stop it then' and hung up.
>>So did I, but I used Grade 1 profane language
>
>They're probably accustomed to it and unmoved by it. The best way of
>getting to them in a manner that actually means something to them is
>to mess with their computing systems, warn their victims, or hand over
>their details to the Indian Police.
>
>If you haven't got the time, energy or expertise to do this yourself,
>there is satisfaction to be drawn by watching it being done with style
>by various scambusters on Youtube.

Can anyone remind me of the name of the American woman who did the one
about the computer crash and surrounding it with airbags?

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<naub8i1e288v7sv8f2iul9jnv03ob8u1dg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41152&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41152

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 17:42:35 +0100
 by: Scott - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:42 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 16:22:24 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 09/06/2023 10:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> This has been happening for years. I just bin them, since they don't have my
>> email, its obviously rubbish.
>
>When they ring to tell you they are Microsoft and you have a virus or
>something in your computer, a friend used to ask 'which computer, I have
>several?'

I said I was only the butler and I would need to get his lordship to
call back on his return.

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<5ab2d50e1dnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41161&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41161

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 23 09:08:02 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: Jim Lesurf - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 09:08 UTC

In article <kelhc4F3l8gU2@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
<junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/06/2023 09:45, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> > Used toilet rolls on offer at a 'bottom' price?

> You can already buy recycled toilet paper :)

No doubt, sold by the Water Companies in England....

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Warning - fake TV licence renewal

<u6ph60$22ijj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41327&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41327

From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:20:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:20 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 16:30:14 +0100, Scott wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 19:48:21 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>> I have received a phishing email saying my direct debit has failed and
>>> I need to set up a new one. If they could spell the word 'licence' it
>>> might have been more convincing.
>>
>>TV Licensing use the verb "license" and the noun "licence" which is what
>>I've always believed to be correct in British English...
>
> My understanding too.

It is English, all the others are predicated and different.