Why is it taking so long for her to bring out all the good in you?

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / "box office"

SubjectAuthor
* "box office"Davey
+* Re: "box office"Andy Burns
|`* Re: "box office"Davey
| `* Re: "box office"Mark Carver
|  +* Re: "box office"Davey
|  |`* Re: "box office"Jeff Gaines
|  | +- Re: "box office"Mark Carver
|  | `* Re: "box office"Davey
|  |  `- Re: "box office"Mark Carver
|  `- Re: "box office"Brian Gaff
+- Re: "box office"alan_m
`- Re: "box office"Andy Burns

1
"box office"

<u7sqfb$3dtoq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41614&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41614

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: "box office"
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 22:33:31 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 21:33 UTC

At the end of the Austrian Grand Prix highlights broadcast this
evening, there was a promotion for next week's British Grand Prix. The
final words were: "The British Grand Prix is only available on (or
on?) box office".
What does this mean? We had just been told that the whole event would
be shown live on Ch.4. What is this 'box office', other than a place
where one can buy a ticket to watch a live event?

--
Davey.

Re: "box office"

<kgf8esF1vrkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41616&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41616

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: "box office"
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 07:34:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 06:34 UTC

Davey wrote:

> The final words were: "The British Grand Prix is only available on
> (or on?) box office". What does this mean?

No idea, it's a Sky pay per view thing
<https://www.sky.com/boxoffice>

> We had just been told that the whole event would be shown live on
> Ch.4. What is this 'box office', other than a place where one can buy
> a ticket to watch a live event?

My TVheadend has got a recording set for Sunday 1:30pm (from a total of
nine F1 related recordings)

Oddly it recorded the qualifying highlights on saturday, but not the
race highlights yesterday ... it's recorded everything else this year.

Re: "box office"

<u7tvbn$3l8j6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41619&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41619

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:03:02 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:03 UTC

On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 07:34:04 +0100
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> > The final words were: "The British Grand Prix is only available on
> > (or on?) box office". What does this mean?
>
> No idea, it's a Sky pay per view thing
> <https://www.sky.com/boxoffice>
>
> > We had just been told that the whole event would be shown live on
> > Ch.4. What is this 'box office', other than a place where one can
> > buy a ticket to watch a live event?
>
> My TVheadend has got a recording set for Sunday 1:30pm (from a total
> of nine F1 related recordings)
>
> Oddly it recorded the qualifying highlights on saturday, but not the
> race highlights yesterday ... it's recorded everything else this year.

Thanks. I found that after my post. It still doesn't explain the
strange wording of the message on the screen. Most odd. Maybe I'll ask
Ch.4.

--
Davey.

Re: "box office"

<kgid82Fgd7mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41634&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41634

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:14:13 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:14 UTC

On 03/07/2023 09:03, Davey wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 07:34:04 +0100
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> Davey wrote:
>>
>>> The final words were: "The British Grand Prix is only available on
>>> (or on?) box office". What does this mean?
>> No idea, it's a Sky pay per view thing
>> <https://www.sky.com/boxoffice>
>>
>>> We had just been told that the whole event would be shown live on
>>> Ch.4. What is this 'box office', other than a place where one can
>>> buy a ticket to watch a live event?
>> My TVheadend has got a recording set for Sunday 1:30pm (from a total
>> of nine F1 related recordings)
>>
>> Oddly it recorded the qualifying highlights on saturday, but not the
>> race highlights yesterday ... it's recorded everything else this year.
> Thanks. I found that after my post. It still doesn't explain the
> strange wording of the message on the screen. Most odd. Maybe I'll ask
> Ch.4.

C4 may well have been taking their video feed from Sky (as they are the
primary UK rights holders) and the caption ended up on C4's feed in error.

Re: "box office"

<u818s9$464n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41635&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41635

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:03:52 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:03 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:14:13 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 03/07/2023 09:03, Davey wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 07:34:04 +0100
> > Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> >> No idea, it's a Sky pay per view thing
> >> <https://www.sky.com/boxoffice>

> >> My TVheadend has got a recording set for Sunday 1:30pm (from a
> >> total of nine F1 related recordings)
> >>
> >> Oddly it recorded the qualifying highlights on saturday, but not
> >> the race highlights yesterday ... it's recorded everything else
> >> this year.
> > Thanks. I found that after my post. It still doesn't explain the
> > strange wording of the message on the screen. Most odd. Maybe I'll
> > ask Ch.4.
> >
> C4 may well have been taking their video feed from Sky (as they are
> the primary UK rights holders) and the caption ended up on C4's feed
> in error.

Could be. I got a reply from Ch.4, but it just repeated that the
programmes were going to be shown free, but failed to even mention 'box
office', which was the main point of my question!
--
Davey.

Re: "box office"

<xn0o3y1f1rgi9qu02f@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41636&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41636

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 4 Jul 2023 14:53:28 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:53 UTC

On 04/07/2023 in message <u818s9$464n$1@dont-email.me> Davey wrote:

>>C4 may well have been taking their video feed from Sky (as they are
>>the primary UK rights holders) and the caption ended up on C4's feed
>>in error.
>
>Could be. I got a reply from Ch.4, but it just repeated that the
>programmes were going to be shown free, but failed to even mention 'box
>office', which was the main point of my question!

Snowflakes and Gen Z rule. They can only handle one question at a time, if
you have more than one question you need to send one letter/email for each
question.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: "box office"

<kgiqudFikijU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41637&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41637

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:07:57 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

On 04/07/2023 15:53, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Snowflakes and Gen Z rule. They can only handle one question at a
> time, if you have more than one question you need to send one
> letter/email for each question.

Completely and utterly yes !

I've joked for some years now that if you want 10 questions answered,
you have to send 10 separate emails. However, it really is no joke now....

Re: "box office"

<u81fhm$4vij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41638&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41638

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:57:40 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:57 UTC

On 4 Jul 2023 14:53:28 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 04/07/2023 in message <u818s9$464n$1@dont-email.me> Davey wrote:
>
> >>C4 may well have been taking their video feed from Sky (as they are
> >>the primary UK rights holders) and the caption ended up on C4's feed
> >>in error.
> >
> >Could be. I got a reply from Ch.4, but it just repeated that the
> >programmes were going to be shown free, but failed to even mention
> >'box office', which was the main point of my question!
>
> Snowflakes and Gen Z rule. They can only handle one question at a
> time, if you have more than one question you need to send one
> letter/email for each question.

But I only asked one question: "What does the mention of 'box office'
mean?" And they didn't even answer that!
Maybe I should have 'tweeted' the question instead of e-mailing it.
Except I don't 'tweet'.

--
Davey.

Re: "box office"

<kgiub7FikijU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41639&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41639

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 17:05:59 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:05 UTC

On 04/07/2023 16:57, Davey wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2023 14:53:28 GMT

>>> Could be. I got a reply from Ch.4, but it just repeated that the
>>> programmes were going to be shown free, but failed to even mention
>>> 'box office', which was the main point of my question!
>> Snowflakes and Gen Z rule. They can only handle one question at a
>> time, if you have more than one question you need to send one
>> letter/email for each question.
>>
> But I only asked one question: "What does the mention of 'box office'
> mean?" And they didn't even answer that!
> Maybe I should have 'tweeted' the question instead of e-mailing it.
> Except I don't 'tweet'.

They won't even work for C4, they'll be from an agency that runs 'chat
bots' for corporates, may even just use AI

Re: "box office"

<u8e7mp$24h6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41675&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41675

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 13:03:36 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:03 UTC

But you would not pay Sky if its free on chi 4 now would you?
I do understand there are however ways in the system to stop people
recording some broadcasts, but I doubt this would cover manual recording.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 03/07/2023 09:03, Davey wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 07:34:04 +0100
>> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>>> No idea, it's a Sky pay per view thing
>>> <https://www.sky.com/boxoffice>

>>> My TVheadend has got a recording set for Sunday 1:30pm (from a total
>>> of nine F1 related recordings)
>>>
>>> Oddly it recorded the qualifying highlights on saturday, but not the
>>> race highlights yesterday ... it's recorded everything else this year.
>> Thanks. I found that after my post. It still doesn't explain the
>> strange wording of the message on the screen. Most odd. Maybe I'll ask
>> Ch.4.
>>
> C4 may well have been taking their video feed from Sky (as they are the
> primary UK rights holders) and the caption ended up on C4's feed in error.

Re: "box office"

<kh04v8FmqqtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41684&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41684

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:18:48 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:18 UTC

On 02/07/2023 22:33, Davey wrote:
> At the end of the Austrian Grand Prix highlights broadcast this
> evening, there was a promotion for next week's British Grand Prix. The
> final words were: "The British Grand Prix is only available on (or
> on?) box office".
> What does this mean? We had just been told that the whole event would
> be shown live on Ch.4. What is this 'box office', other than a place
> where one can buy a ticket to watch a live event?

On Channel 4 just before the start of the UK GP they mentioned that it
was _only_ available on "box office" - before saying that it would be
shown live in Ch4

Re: "box office"

<kh05gfFn2toU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41685&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41685

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:28:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:28 UTC

Davey wrote:

> At the end of the Austrian Grand Prix highlights broadcast this
> evening, there was a promotion for next week's British Grand Prix. The
> final words were: "The British Grand Prix is only available on (or
> on?) box office".

They said it again today going in to the final commercial break before
the formation lap

"Well, the British Grand Prix is only available in box office,
and it's next, live on channel 4."

I suppose they must consider the C4 programmes to be a simulcast of Sky?
Seems we get another three years of the same deal ...