From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: OT: monitor out of range
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 12:52:21 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:52 UTC

Some time ago I posted a query about my monitor receiving and 'out of
range' message every time I start my new PC. I have confirmed the
settings in Windows are the same as the recommended settings for the
monitor (1920 x1080, 60Hz). Various suggestion were made at the time
but I was unable to resolve the problem (I can still use the monitor
after pushing a few buttons on the monitor, so it must be compatible).

Today I started the computer in safe mode and found screen resolution
is showing as 64Hz with no other setting available and no obvious way
of changing this. I'm guessing this could be the root of the problem.
Any ideas how to resolve this somewhat bizarre situation?

Re: OT: monitor out of range

<u8c93f$1qg9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41666&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41666

From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: OT: monitor out of range
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:15:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:15 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jul 2023 12:52:21 +0100, Scott wrote:

> Some time ago I posted a query about my monitor receiving and 'out of
> range' message every time I start my new PC. I have confirmed the
> settings in Windows are the same as the recommended settings for the
> monitor (1920 x1080, 60Hz). Various suggestion were made at the time
> but I was unable to resolve the problem (I can still use the monitor
> after pushing a few buttons on the monitor, so it must be compatible).
>
> Today I started the computer in safe mode and found screen resolution is
> showing as 64Hz with no other setting available and no obvious way of
> changing this. I'm guessing this could be the root of the problem.
> Any ideas how to resolve this somewhat bizarre situation?

I had a monitor where the display was slightly too large, it was annoying
because I couldn't see the right, top, corner cross on a windows page. So
I altered the timing to 59 hertz and that corrected the screen size
problem.

Re: OT: monitor out of range

<kgvavqFio1nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41670&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41670

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:55:22 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 08:55 UTC

On 08/07/2023 12:52, Scott wrote:
> Some time ago I posted a query about my monitor receiving and 'out of
> range' message every time I start my new PC. I have confirmed the
> settings in Windows are the same as the recommended settings for the
> monitor (1920 x1080, 60Hz). Various suggestion were made at the time
> but I was unable to resolve the problem (I can still use the monitor
> after pushing a few buttons on the monitor, so it must be compatible).
>
> Today I started the computer in safe mode and found screen resolution
> is showing as 64Hz with no other setting available and no obvious way
> of changing this. I'm guessing this could be the root of the problem.
> Any ideas how to resolve this somewhat bizarre situation?

On restart (or reset), your PC is showing a low resolution graphics mode
below what the monitor supports. Something like a grotty 80 character
representation of the initial pre-boot BIOS screen.

Later in the 'safe-mode' screen, you don't have access to changing
resolution and refresh rate. That is by 'safe-mode' design of Windows,
and is sadly nothing to do with the pre-boot resolution screen.

Maybe you have two (or more) graphic "cards" in your computer and the
default BIOS output is simply going to an unconnected monitor. In that
latter case, there should be setting in the BIOS screen that (were you
able to overcome catch-22 rules) you should be able to set your working
graphic card as primary.

Or maybe, you should fling a word (or two) at your monitor
manufacturer's support team.

--
Adrian C

Re: OT: monitor out of range

<8v4qaih96o4vuil8scqkqa47krg29v1v2q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41698&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41698

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:39:43 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:39 UTC

On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:55:22 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
<email@here.invalid> wrote:

>On 08/07/2023 12:52, Scott wrote:
>> Some time ago I posted a query about my monitor receiving and 'out of
>> range' message every time I start my new PC. I have confirmed the
>> settings in Windows are the same as the recommended settings for the
>> monitor (1920 x1080, 60Hz). Various suggestion were made at the time
>> but I was unable to resolve the problem (I can still use the monitor
>> after pushing a few buttons on the monitor, so it must be compatible).
>>
>> Today I started the computer in safe mode and found screen resolution
>> is showing as 64Hz with no other setting available and no obvious way
>> of changing this. I'm guessing this could be the root of the problem.
>> Any ideas how to resolve this somewhat bizarre situation?
>
>On restart (or reset), your PC is showing a low resolution graphics mode
>below what the monitor supports. Something like a grotty 80 character
>representation of the initial pre-boot BIOS screen.

That makes sense. It starts with some basic text before the error
message appears.

>Later in the 'safe-mode' screen, you don't have access to changing
>resolution and refresh rate. That is by 'safe-mode' design of Windows,
>and is sadly nothing to do with the pre-boot resolution screen.

Yes, but where does 64Hz come from? Surely the usual standard for
monitors is 60Hz?

>Maybe you have two (or more) graphic "cards" in your computer and the
>default BIOS output is simply going to an unconnected monitor. In that
>latter case, there should be setting in the BIOS screen that (were you
>able to overcome catch-22 rules) you should be able to set your working
>graphic card as primary.

AIUI there is no graphics card as the graphics are built into the
processor. I reiterate that I have gone into Windows 11 and set the
resolution and refresh rate to the recommended settings (and checked
they are remaining there). Still I get a message saying that the
monitor is out of range.

>Or maybe, you should fling a word (or two) at your monitor
>manufacturer's support team.

That's a point, but I'm not sure how HP would react to a query about a
monitor that is years old and out of warranty. I can always try but I
assumed others must know about the problem.

Re: OT: monitor out of range

<khch0sFnfncU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41726&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41726

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:58:04 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 08:58 UTC

On 11/07/2023 09:39, Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:55:22 +0100, Adrian Caspersz

>> On restart (or reset), your PC is showing a low resolution graphics mode
>> below what the monitor supports. Something like a grotty 80 character
>> representation of the initial pre-boot BIOS screen.
>
> That makes sense. It starts with some basic text before the error
> message appears.

Ok, you can see the BIOS boot messages.

> AIUI there is no graphics card as the graphics are built into the
> processor. I reiterate that I have gone into Windows 11 and set the
> resolution and refresh rate to the recommended settings (and checked
> they are remaining there). Still I get a message saying that the
> monitor is out of range.

Sounds like drivers, though I suspect others may have been here (not
seeing the previous thread here)

Perhaps Windows is having a party to itself, and setting up some strange
non-standard setting defined in the built-in Intel graphics driver.
Strange other than resolution and refresh rate, there is opportunity in
drivers to configure special things (dot clock rate etc) for a VGA cable
connection.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

Perhaps try reinstalling the drivers? Or find a reset button in the GUI?

BTW, The above drivers do not load when you start with safe mode.

What buttons/modes are you pressing on the monitor to resolve normal
displays? Auto Setup?

Does the monitor work OK with other computers?

--
Adrian C

Re: OT: monitor out of range

<d3a2bid7o0hu9so04oku657a7imm7q8kam@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41727&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41727

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:57:28 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:57 UTC

On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:58:04 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
<email@here.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/07/2023 09:39, Scott wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:55:22 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
>
>>> On restart (or reset), your PC is showing a low resolution graphics mode
>>> below what the monitor supports. Something like a grotty 80 character
>>> representation of the initial pre-boot BIOS screen.
>>
>> That makes sense. It starts with some basic text before the error
>> message appears.
>
>Ok, you can see the BIOS boot messages.

To my mind this proves that the monitor and HDMI lead work.

>> AIUI there is no graphics card as the graphics are built into the
>> processor. I reiterate that I have gone into Windows 11 and set the
>> resolution and refresh rate to the recommended settings (and checked
>> they are remaining there). Still I get a message saying that the
>> monitor is out of range.
>
>Sounds like drivers, though I suspect others may have been here (not
>seeing the previous thread here)

I have tried Asus and Intel and Windows update to look for the latest
driver, but the problem persists.

>Perhaps Windows is having a party to itself, and setting up some strange
>non-standard setting defined in the built-in Intel graphics driver.
>Strange other than resolution and refresh rate, there is opportunity in
>drivers to configure special things (dot clock rate etc) for a VGA cable
>connection.

Can I do this myself? I have already looked at the resolution and
refresh rate in W11 and confirmed they are as recommended.

>https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html
>
>Perhaps try reinstalling the drivers? Or find a reset button in the GUI?

I tried reinstalling last night.

>BTW, The above drivers do not load when you start with safe mode.

How does the monitor work in safe mode then?

>What buttons/modes are you pressing on the monitor to resolve normal
>displays? Auto Setup?

The + setting that toggles between DVI, HDMI and VGA. It starts up as
HDMI. I change it to DVI then back to HDMI then it works.

>Does the monitor work OK with other computers?

It worked with my previous computer.

Do you think an HDMI to DVI cable would solve the problem, or would it
simply send the same information (minus audio)?

Re: OT: monitor out of range

<khd80vFrc1aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41729&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41729

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:30:38 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:30 UTC

On 7/14/23 11:57, Scott wrote:

> How does the monitor work in safe mode then?

For that, Microsoft supplies a very basic 'safe' driver in their OS.

>> What buttons/modes are you pressing on the monitor to resolve normal
>> displays? Auto Setup?
>
> The + setting that toggles between DVI, HDMI and VGA. It starts up as
> HDMI. I change it to DVI then back to HDMI then it works.

Is the monitor itself perhaps jumping to another unused input like VGA.
Is there an 'auto select' input thing in the monitor's built-in menu you
can turn off?

--
Adrian C