From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: TV Licensing
Date: 23 Jul 2023 11:43:37 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 11:43 UTC

I am stuck with a second home at the moment which I can't sell. It is
completely empty and I went back this morning, first time for six months
to check it out.

Had a problem opening the door because of the pile of letters from TV
Licensing. Increasingly threatening, dates printed on the front then red
envelopes.

I advised them months ago via their website that the place was empty. How
much do these plonkers spend on these stupid letters I wonder?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.

Re: TV Licensing

<2884ee36-09d8-47e3-b732-529ecda5f5b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41746&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41746

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 05:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TV Licensing
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 12:15 UTC

On Sunday, 23 July 2023 at 12:43:40 UTC+1, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> I am stuck with a second home at the moment which I can't sell. It is
> completely empty and I went back this morning, first time for six months
> to check it out.
>
> Had a problem opening the door because of the pile of letters from TV
> Licensing. Increasingly threatening, dates printed on the front then red
> envelopes.
>
> I advised them months ago via their website that the place was empty. How
> much do these plonkers spend on these stupid letters I wonder?
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.

Loads.

It is better than that, back in the 70's I didn't have a TV, so no license. Letters became more frequent and threatening, however one Xmas I visited my parents and they had bought themselves a new colour TV, so they gave me their old black and white one. I brought it home and bought a license at the PO straight away. Just a few days later a TV license inspector turns up unannounced and asks if I have a TV. "Yes." I say. Can he come in - I say OK and lead him in. As it happens my flat mate was sat in the lounge watching it. You could sense the inspector rubbing his hands with glee and salivating... "Have you got a license for this TV?". "Of course!" I replied producing my license. He cursed and muttered something about the address and wrote the flat number on it (I scored it out when renewing) and left in a huff.

Re: TV Licensing

<ki4kpiFjp16U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41747&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41747

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:29:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 12:29 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am stuck with a second home at the moment which I can't sell. It is
> completely empty and I went back this morning, first time for six months
> to check it out.
>
> Had a problem opening the door because of the pile of letters from TV
> Licensing. Increasingly threatening, dates printed on the front then red
> envelopes.
>
> I advised them months ago via their website that the place was empty.
> How much do these plonkers spend on these stupid letters I wonder?

Similar with my late father's house, I notified them of his death, they
refunded the remained of his licence, then after about 6 months they
sent a letter saying "something has changed at this address" and have
sent at least one letter per month since then. Since no TV is installed
there, it's all a waste of their time, but I don't intend to write to
tell them he's still dead ...

Re: TV Licensing

<ki56j6FmcqnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41749&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41749

From: findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk (williamfindlay)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:33:24 +0100
 by: williamfindlay - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:33 UTC

On 23/07/2023 12:43, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am stuck with a second home at the moment which I can't sell. It is
> completely empty and I went back this morning, first time for six months
> to check it out.
>
> Had a problem opening the door because of the pile of letters from TV
> Licensing. Increasingly threatening, dates printed on the front then red
> envelopes.
>
> I advised them months ago via their website that the place was empty.
> How much do these plonkers spend on these stupid letters I wonder?

I chortle with glee as I put their latest threatening letter in the
recycling bin. The more money they waste on useless paper,
the less they have for blasting BritNat propaganda in Scottish homes.

I like to think the cost comes out of Glen Campbell's bonus.

Re: TV Licensing

<u9jp3i$ad9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41750&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41750

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:47:32 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:47 UTC

On 23/07/2023 18:33, williamfindlay wrote:
> I chortle with glee as I put their latest threatening letter in the
> recycling bin. The more money they waste on useless paper,
> the less they have for blasting BritNat propaganda in Scottish homes.

It is the propaganda for the corrupt and perverted SNP / Greenies that I
would like to see reduced but some reports are suggesting there might be
arrests shortly.

Re: TV Licensing

<ki6n8bFts5sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41753&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41753

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:23:56 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

On 23/07/2023 12:43, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am stuck with a second home at the moment which I can't sell. It is
> completely empty and I went back this morning, first time for six
> months to check it out.
>
> Had a problem opening the door because of the pile of letters from TV
> Licensing. Increasingly threatening, dates printed on the front then
> red envelopes.
>
> I advised them months ago via their website that the place was empty.
> How much do these plonkers spend on these stupid letters I wonder?

We bought a dilapidated bungalow (that had been empty for 2.5 years).
The family of the previous owner had presumably dealt with TVL etc, but
there was a steady stream of TVL letters as you describe that arrived
during the year we were refurbing the place (and living elsewhere) . I
just ignored them. When we moved in, I changed the address on our TVL
account and the letters stopped. I have no idea if anyone from TVL
turned up, perhaps it was during the three months there was no roof on
the place, and only two gable end walls present.  I can remember sending
a photo of the house in that condition to the council, to qualify for a
50% reduction in the council tax (some councils give 100%, others give
0%, what a laugh)