Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous? A: A canary with the super-user password.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Help with LG smart TV

SubjectAuthor
* Help with LG smart TVWoody
+- Re: Help with LG smart TVTweed
+- Re: Help with LG smart TVthe dog from that film you saw
+- Re: Help with LG smart TVAndy Burns
+- Re: Help with LG smart TVJeff Layman
+- Re: Help with LG smart TVBrian Gregory
+* Re: Help with LG smart TVBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Help with LG smart TVWoody
| `- Re: Help with LG smart TVBrian Gaff
`- Re: Help with LG smart TVAnthonyL

1
Help with LG smart TV

<uar76m$2uasd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41770&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41770

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Help with LG smart TV
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:47:18 +0100
 by: Woody - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 16:47 UTC

A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
whether you want it to or not!

Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
the on-screen keyboard that appears.

Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
cannot find anything about it in the user manual.

*These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend
may have to start again from square one every time.

TIA

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<uar7j6$2ufn2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41771&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41771

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Help with LG smart TV
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 16:53:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:buQGXZdyNF9/qc14rgy7Bgk58F4=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 16:53 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
> exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
> on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
> whether you want it to or not!
>
> Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
> to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
> the on-screen keyboard that appears.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
> keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
> cannot find anything about it in the user manual.
>
> *These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
> needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
> as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend
> may have to start again from square one every time.
>
> TIA

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-how-to-connect-a-keyboard-mouse-or-gamepad-to-your-lg-tv-CT32003206-20152890341179

Seems worth a go.

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<pl9AM.411615$DZcb.181548@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41772&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41772

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: dsb@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com (the dog from that film you saw)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:54:29 +0100
 by: the dog from that fi - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 16:54 UTC

On 07/08/2023 17:47, Woody wrote:
> A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
> exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
> on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
> whether you want it to or not!
>
> Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
> to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
> the on-screen keyboard that appears.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
> keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
> cannot find anything about it in the user manual.
>
> *These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
> needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
> as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend
> may have to start again from square one every time.
>
> TIA

just ignore the arrow and use the direction button as with other tvs.

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<kjcmk0F5qk6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41773&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41773

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 18:06:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:06 UTC

On 07/08/2023 17:47, Woody wrote:
> A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
> exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
> on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
> whether you want it to or not!

That pointer is from the "Smart Remote", does he have a normal remote as
well? the smart one was an optional extra when my dad had an LG

> Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
> to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
> the on-screen keyboard that appears.

you can probably plug a USB keyboard in (even if it's just temporarily
while going through the setup stages)

> Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
> keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
> cannot find anything about it in the user manual.

I've not tried a wireless one, I should think the "dumber" RF ones had a
better chance than e.g bluetooth ones or others that need pairing.

> *These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
> needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
> as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend
> may have to start again from square one every time.
>
> TIA

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<uara22$2uh8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41774&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41774

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 18:36:02 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:36 UTC

On 07/08/2023 17:47, Woody wrote:
> A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
> exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
> on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
> whether you want it to or not!
>
> Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
> to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
> the on-screen keyboard that appears.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
> keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
> cannot find anything about it in the user manual.

I use a mini keyboard (with its USB dongle) with my Panasonic. It
doesn't work for all apps, but is useful for iPlayer, etc. I wouldn't be
surprised if the LG behaves similarly. It's this one:
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016OMDBC6/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item>
It's still working ok 7 years on.

--

Jeff

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<kjd1keF7tf5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41775&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41775

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 21:14:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 20:14 UTC

On 07/08/2023 17:47, Woody wrote:
> A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
> exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
> on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
> whether you want it to or not!

That is like a mouse pointer. With LG apps, well with the ones that
weren't written by idiots anyway, you can use that pointer to click
buttons (or letters on on screen keyboards) by pushing firmly on the
wheel in the centre of the remote until it clicks.

> Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
> to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
> the on-screen keyboard that appears.

See above, hopefully.

> Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
> keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
> cannot find anything about it in the user manual.

I think so, I've seen it done with a mouse. But I guess it is possible
it was a special mouse.

> *These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
> needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
> as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend
> may have to start again from square one every time.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<uatlqd$3eq80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41776&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41776

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 16:08:59 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 15:08 UTC

Well at least some LG ones allow a bluetooth keyboard to connect. Very
similar to Samsung in that regard.
I'vee never played extensively with one, but they are apparently easy to
use by blind people, but then I expect they hav different ranges every year.
Brian.

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
>exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker on
>the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
>whether you want it to or not!
>
> Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password to
> be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and the
> on-screen keyboard that appears.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
> keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
> cannot find anything about it in the user manual.
>
> *These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
> needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
> as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend may
> have to start again from square one every time.
>
> TIA

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<uatnq6$3f4kf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41777&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41777

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 16:43:01 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 15:43 UTC

On Tue 08/08/2023 16:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well at least some LG ones allow a bluetooth keyboard to connect. Very
> similar to Samsung in that regard.
> I'vee never played extensively with one, but they are apparently easy to
> use by blind people, but then I expect they hav different ranges every year.
> Brian.

Tnx to all for help. Plugged the dongle in and the mouse and keyboard
worked perfectly. All now sorted.

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<64d2a456.2211038171@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41778&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41778

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 20:24:48 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 20:24 UTC

On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:47:18 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>A friend has just bought a LG 43NAN075 4K smart TV and it is not IMO
>exactly user friendly. One thing is that it has 'lozenge' shaped marker
>on the screen that moves about on screen as the handset is moved by hand
>whether you want it to or not!
>
>Question: there are some functions* that require data/username/password
>to be entered which is a total pain trying to do it with the handset and
>the on-screen keyboard that appears.
>
>Can anyone tell me if this machine will recognise an external wireless
>keyboard if I plug the Keyboard dongle into one of the USB sockets? I
>cannot find anything about it in the user manual.
>
>*These are such as app downloads or updates like YT or UKTVPlay where it
>needs username and password - one mistake and it means starting over and
>as it doesn't have a 'forgotten password facility it means our friend
>may have to start again from square one every time.
>
>TIA

Our now several years old LG49uj670v TV can be driven by a smartphone
app from LG which makes some things a lot easier.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Help with LG smart TV

<uavtg2$3torh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41779&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41779

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:32:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:32 UTC

Hmm, on the Samsung you just get a bluetooth keyboard select pairing on the
screen and on my keyboard hit one of the unused channels. The daft thing
about this is that it s catch 22 for the blind in that to turn on the voice
for this part, you seem to have to find it in the menus then pair it and
then go and switch the voice on for that part. Of course over the couple of
years I've had the device, I had to get Samsung to take control of the set
and do a factory reset so we could set it up again. Then of course all the
apps no longer speak and according to Samsung I'd need to create an account
on their app store and download them again. One might have thought that as
the TV software has been updated automatically they would do the same with
the apps?
Very illogical.
Brian

--