Blutarsky's Axiom: Nothing is impossible for the man who will not listen to reason.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: TV streaming functions

SubjectAuthor
* TV streaming functionsJeff Layman
+- Re: TV streaming functionsJeff Gaines
+* Re: TV streaming functionsMikeS
|`* Re: TV streaming functionsJeff Layman
| `- Re: TV streaming functionsJeff Gaines
`* Re: TV streaming functionsSmolley
 `- Re: TV streaming functionsJeff Layman

1
TV streaming functions

<ubnnav$82bf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41825&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41825

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: TV streaming functions
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:14:23 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:14 UTC

I'm not sure that it's been discussed here before, but I was wondering
about the differences, if any, in how TVs deal with streaming.

I have a Panasonic, and it has various functions in relation to
streaming, but I don't find them as useful in playing back something as
well as I can with my Panasonic PVR. There are similarities in several
speeds of fast forward and fast reverse, the possibility of jumping
forwards or back a few seconds, and the availability of subtitles, but I
think that's it. What I miss, that the PVR has, is slow-motion and step
frame at varying speeds (both forwards and backwards). The PVR can also
jump forwards 15 minutes at a time which can be useful (but my old Humax
was much better in that it could immediately jump to a specified time).
And, of course, I can't speed through the adverts when streaming!

Do other makes of TV have only these limited functions that my Panasonic
has, or do they, for example, have slow motion?

--

Jeff

Re: TV streaming functions

<xn0o5qjsz9mdabb00q@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41827&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41827

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: TV streaming functions
Date: 18 Aug 2023 12:30:07 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:30 UTC

On 18/08/2023 in message <ubnnav$82bf$1@dont-email.me> Jeff Layman wrote:

>I'm not sure that it's been discussed here before, but I was wondering
>about the differences, if any, in how TVs deal with streaming.
>
>I have a Panasonic, and it has various functions in relation to streaming,
>but I don't find them as useful in playing back something as well as I can
>with my Panasonic PVR. There are similarities in several speeds of fast
>forward and fast reverse, the possibility of jumping forwards or back a
>few seconds, and the availability of subtitles, but I think that's it.
>What I miss, that the PVR has, is slow-motion and step frame at varying
>speeds (both forwards and backwards). The PVR can also jump forwards 15
>minutes at a time which can be useful (but my old Humax was much better in
>that it could immediately jump to a specified time). And, of course, I
>can't speed through the adverts when streaming!
>
>Do other makes of TV have only these limited functions that my Panasonic
>has, or do they, for example, have slow motion?

I have a Roku box for streaming and find fast forward and back very hit
and miss, seems to work to the nearest several seconds.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Re: TV streaming functions

<ubqrrj$uh0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41849&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41849

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:49:52 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:49 UTC

On 18/08/2023 13:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I'm not sure that it's been discussed here before, but I was wondering
> about the differences, if any, in how TVs deal with streaming.
>
> I have a Panasonic, and it has various functions in relation to
> streaming, but I don't find them as useful in playing back something as
> well as I can with my Panasonic PVR. There are similarities in several
> speeds of fast forward and fast reverse, the possibility of jumping
> forwards or back a few seconds, and the availability of subtitles, but I
> think that's it. What I miss, that the PVR has, is slow-motion and step
> frame at varying speeds (both forwards and backwards). The PVR can also
> jump forwards 15 minutes at a time which can be useful (but my old Humax
> was much better in that it could immediately jump to a specified time).
> And, of course, I can't speed through the adverts when streaming!
>
> Do other makes of TV have only these limited functions that my Panasonic
> has, or do they, for example, have slow motion?

To my mind "streaming" is viewing material as it is delivered over the
Internet. In that case the functions you mention such as fast
forward/back are provided, if any, by the service (e.g. iPlayer) you are
using not the TV. If your device provides such as facility (e.g. some
Sky boxes) it is downloading and storing all or some of the material
before you view it (i.e. it has a very large buffer).

Re: TV streaming functions

<ubqufe$ui3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41850&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41850

From: me@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:34:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:34 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:14:23 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I'm not sure that it's been discussed here before, but I was wondering
> about the differences, if any, in how TVs deal with streaming.
>
> I have a Panasonic, and it has various functions in relation to
> streaming, but I don't find them as useful in playing back something as
> well as I can with my Panasonic PVR. There are similarities in several
> speeds of fast forward and fast reverse, the possibility of jumping
> forwards or back a few seconds, and the availability of subtitles, but I
> think that's it. What I miss, that the PVR has, is slow-motion and step
> frame at varying speeds (both forwards and backwards). The PVR can also
> jump forwards 15 minutes at a time which can be useful (but my old Humax
> was much better in that it could immediately jump to a specified time).
> And, of course, I can't speed through the adverts when streaming!
>
> Do other makes of TV have only these limited functions that my Panasonic
> has, or do they, for example, have slow motion?

I have a dedicated computer for streaming and perform a screen grab on any
thing I want. I have many videos recorded this way. I save in mp4 with
open 264 and aac.

Re: TV streaming functions

<ubv31d$1q6cq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41861&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41861

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:17:01 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:17 UTC

On 19/08/2023 17:49, MikeS wrote:
> On 18/08/2023 13:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I'm not sure that it's been discussed here before, but I was wondering
>> about the differences, if any, in how TVs deal with streaming.
>>
>> I have a Panasonic, and it has various functions in relation to
>> streaming, but I don't find them as useful in playing back something as
>> well as I can with my Panasonic PVR. There are similarities in several
>> speeds of fast forward and fast reverse, the possibility of jumping
>> forwards or back a few seconds, and the availability of subtitles, but I
>> think that's it. What I miss, that the PVR has, is slow-motion and step
>> frame at varying speeds (both forwards and backwards). The PVR can also
>> jump forwards 15 minutes at a time which can be useful (but my old Humax
>> was much better in that it could immediately jump to a specified time).
>> And, of course, I can't speed through the adverts when streaming!
>>
>> Do other makes of TV have only these limited functions that my Panasonic
>> has, or do they, for example, have slow motion?
>>
> To my mind "streaming" is viewing material as it is delivered over the
> Internet. In that case the functions you mention such as fast
> forward/back are provided, if any, by the service (e.g. iPlayer) you are
> using not the TV. If your device provides such as facility (e.g. some
> Sky boxes) it is downloading and storing all or some of the material
> before you view it (i.e. it has a very large buffer).

I can't find the reference, but I seem to remember reading somewhere
that most modern TVs have 1 - 2GB of ram in them which acts as the
buffer. They can download a reasonable amount of a stream to that ram
and all operations such as pause, FF, etc take place on that ram.

Is there a suitable word which describes the process other than
"streaming"? It's not really streaming or downloading, as - particularly
with a long programme in HD/UHD - there's not enough memory to hold it
all as a complete download.

--

Jeff

Re: TV streaming functions

<ubv3rr$1q3ds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41862&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41862

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:31:07 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:31 UTC

On 19/08/2023 18:34, Smolley wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:14:23 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that it's been discussed here before, but I was wondering
>> about the differences, if any, in how TVs deal with streaming.
>>
>> I have a Panasonic, and it has various functions in relation to
>> streaming, but I don't find them as useful in playing back something as
>> well as I can with my Panasonic PVR. There are similarities in several
>> speeds of fast forward and fast reverse, the possibility of jumping
>> forwards or back a few seconds, and the availability of subtitles, but I
>> think that's it. What I miss, that the PVR has, is slow-motion and step
>> frame at varying speeds (both forwards and backwards). The PVR can also
>> jump forwards 15 minutes at a time which can be useful (but my old Humax
>> was much better in that it could immediately jump to a specified time).
>> And, of course, I can't speed through the adverts when streaming!
>>
>> Do other makes of TV have only these limited functions that my Panasonic
>> has, or do they, for example, have slow motion?
>
> I have a dedicated computer for streaming and perform a screen grab on any
> thing I want. I have many videos recorded this way. I save in mp4 with
> open 264 and aac.

I was really asking only about the way TVs handle streaming/downloading.
Are there any "simple" boxes like PVRs which can record a stream or
download from iPlayer etc, and have full functions such as slo-mo for
playback? Out of interest, what software do you use with your computer?

--

Jeff

Re: TV streaming functions

<xn0o5ukn6dnbuwe00w@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41863&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41863

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 21 Aug 2023 08:08:04 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:08 UTC

On 21/08/2023 in message <ubv31d$1q6cq$1@dont-email.me> Jeff Layman wrote:

>Is there a suitable word which describes the process other than
>"streaming"? It's not really streaming or downloading, as - particularly
>with a long programme in HD/UHD - there's not enough memory to hold it all
>as a complete download.

You piqued my interest, this may be of interest:

https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/6-best-streaming-cloud-dvrs-review/

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.