From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Samsung updated my 2020 telly yesterday
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:09:51 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:09 UTC

Not sure what they have changed, but my Bluetooth keyboard no longer works
and when It had finished its update it said we have updated bla bla and
presented me with an ok button. I pressed it with the button in the
direction control pad and I don't really notice any changes sound wise. When
I went turn it off it asked me a yes no question but never read the
question, as its not spoken. I hit the default and it went off with that
annoying sound. Today, I powered it on and it gave me another yes n with no
question, and I discovered if I left it for a few minutes it went into the
tv as normal, and that box seems to have gone away now. It kind of makes you
wonder about them making a big brownie points statement about talking
features if they are not going to actually test any new options they add.
All I can say is that none of the apps talk, though the netflix one used to,
and according to a sighted person its inviting me to set up an account on
the Samsung store and all the apps need updating and of course this wont
work with speech either. Its daft that if I really do want subscription or
bbc i player that I'm probably going to have to use an Amazon firestick too
get it to speak. You would imagine that if Samsung really were committed to
accessibility, when an update opportunity came along they would remedy the
matter.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Samsung updated my 2020 telly yesterday

<knocs9Fs3luU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42274&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42274

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Samsung updated my 2020 telly yesterday
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:38:35 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:38 UTC

On 29/09/2023 12:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Not sure what they have changed, but my Bluetooth keyboard no longer works
> and when It had finished its update it said we have updated bla bla and
> presented me with an ok button. I pressed it with the button in the
> direction control pad and I don't really notice any changes sound wise. When
> I went turn it off it asked me a yes no question but never read the
> question, as its not spoken. I hit the default and it went off with that
> annoying sound. Today, I powered it on and it gave me another yes n with no
> question, and I discovered if I left it for a few minutes it went into the
> tv as normal, and that box seems to have gone away now. It kind of makes you
> wonder about them making a big brownie points statement about talking
> features if they are not going to actually test any new options they add.
> All I can say is that none of the apps talk, though the netflix one used to,
> and according to a sighted person its inviting me to set up an account on
> the Samsung store and all the apps need updating and of course this wont
> work with speech either. Its daft that if I really do want subscription or
> bbc i player that I'm probably going to have to use an Amazon firestick too
> get it to speak. You would imagine that if Samsung really were committed to
> accessibility, when an update opportunity came along they would remedy the
> matter.

If your Samsung TV had voice guide or the update provided it you
probably need to turn it on.

Voice Guide is a voice assistant or narrator on Samsung Smart TVs that
gives an audio description of all the menu items and options. Moreover,
it also gives audio feedback when you switch to connected devices such
as a set-top box or streaming services like Netflix, Prime Video etc.
Besides, it will also tell you all details such as movie names and
descriptions when you browse online streaming services.

Settings, then General. then Accessibility, then Voice Guide.

If you TV has this option enabling it gives options for volume and speed
of speech

Youtube video but the audio describes what it does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxdOybK2xRI&t=70s

If you have smart remote with your TV (the remote with a very limited
number fo buttons and a voice control).

Turning off/on Voice Guide on Samsung TV

Method 1
If your Samsung TV remote has a microphone button, you can turn off the
Voice Guide as follows:

Press and hold the microphone button on your remote.
Say “Voice guide off“, or “Turn off Voice guide.”

Method 2
Press and hold the Volume button on your Samsung Smart Remote for more
than 2 seconds.

Doing so will directly take you to the Voice Guide option. Just press
the Center/Select button to turn off Voice Guide.

Re: Samsung updated my 2020 telly yesterday

<uf8p2s$ps42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42277&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42277

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:17:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:17 UTC

Oh its on alright, just not very good for anything other then the normal
freeview stuff.
Brian

--

--: