Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. -- Jean-Paul Sartre

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

SubjectAuthor
* Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsVir Campestris
+- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsJava Jive
+* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECswrightsaerials@aol.com
`* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsRoderick Stewart
 `* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsJMB99
  `* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsRoderick Stewart
   +* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsjon
   |`* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsRoderick Stewart
   | `- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsBrian Gaff
   `* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsVir Campestris
    +- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsRoderick Stewart
    +- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsAshley Booth
    +- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsVir Campestris
    `* Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECswrightsaerials@aol.com
     +- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECscharles
     `- Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECsSH

1
Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<ugrj3t$e237$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42386&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42386

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:48:13 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:48 UTC

Is it just me, or does Clive Myrie's forehead do weird things on the
broadcast from Israel? It'd think it was lack of bandwidth - except all
the white people come over OK.

I suspect the CODEC regards dark areas as less important so not needing
as many updates.

Andy

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<ugrk8a$eetu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42387&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42387

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:07:36 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:07 UTC

On 19/10/2023 16:48, Vir Campestris wrote:

> Is it just me, or does Clive Myrie's forehead do weird things on the
> broadcast from Israel? It'd think it was lack of bandwidth - except all
> the white people come over OK.
>
> I suspect the CODEC regards dark areas as less important so not needing
> as many updates.

I've not seen this, but I wonder if it could be related to a similar
problem with AI facial recognition, which recognises black faces far
less well than white. Perhaps similarly to AI the codecs are troubled
by the relative lack of contrast in black faces, and so treats a black
face as one area of predominant colour with consequent loss of detail?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<ugtf50$vn4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42393&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42393

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:52:44 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:52 UTC

Obviously I am not qualified to say much. What I do notice on a freeview set
with an internet connection is a whole lot of Arabic news channels, but I've
yet to see a Jewish one. There is even a Japanese news station and an Indian
one.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Is it just me, or does Clive Myrie's forehead do weird things on the
> broadcast from Israel? It'd think it was lack of bandwidth - except all
> the white people come over OK.
>
> I suspect the CODEC regards dark areas as less important so not needing as
> many updates.
>
> Andy

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<1dg4jiha75sru4ius5geo397614qae43id@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42394&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42394

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:05:51 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:05 UTC

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:48:13 +0100, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Is it just me, or does Clive Myrie's forehead do weird things on the
>broadcast from Israel? It'd think it was lack of bandwidth - except all
>the white people come over OK.
>
>I suspect the CODEC regards dark areas as less important so not needing
>as many updates.
>
>Andy

Dark surfaces reflect less light than light ones (which is why they
appear dark) so any system working on that part of the video signal
will inevitably have less information to work with. We shouldn't be
surprised that it doesn't cope so well.

Rod.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<ugtiuq$10ifs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42395&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42395

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:57:46 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:57 UTC

On 20/10/2023 10:05, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> Dark surfaces reflect less light than light ones (which is why they
> appear dark) so any system working on that part of the video signal will
> inevitably have less information to work with. We shouldn't be surprised
> that it doesn't cope so well.

Why don't they use a negative image, I do that quite often when
transcribing a dark document.

Would have thought the software analysing the facial image could try
both and select which gives the best results.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<m6o4jiteh8khvh769hna7iagn06h3bkb0s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42397&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42397

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:22:28 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:22 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:57:46 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 20/10/2023 10:05, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>> Dark surfaces reflect less light than light ones (which is why they
>> appear dark) so any system working on that part of the video signal will
>> inevitably have less information to work with. We shouldn't be surprised
>> that it doesn't cope so well.
>

>Why don't they use a negative image, I do that quite often when
>transcribing a dark document.
>
>Would have thought the software analysing the facial image could try
>both and select which gives the best results.

It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental
problem is that it contains less information. Making it negative is
just turning it upside down, but it's still based on the amount of
light that entered the lens from the subject, and you won't get any
more of it by messing about with the signal after the event.

You can improve matters by shining more light on the subject, or using
a bigger lens (lower f stop) or a more sensitive pickup device, or
designing less noisy video amplifiers, but there will always be less
original information available from darker surfaces.

Rod.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<ugudl2$17htm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42399&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42399

From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:33:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:22:28 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:57:46 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>On 20/10/2023 10:05, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>>> Dark surfaces reflect less light than light ones (which is why they
>>> appear dark) so any system working on that part of the video signal
>>> will inevitably have less information to work with. We shouldn't be
>>> surprised that it doesn't cope so well.
>>

>>Why don't they use a negative image, I do that quite often when
>>transcribing a dark document.
>>
>>Would have thought the software analysing the facial image could try
>>both and select which gives the best results.
>>

> It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental problem
> is that it contains less information. Making it negative is just turning
> it upside down, but it's still based on the amount of light that entered
> the lens from the subject, and you won't get any more of it by messing
> about with the signal after the event.
>
> You can improve matters by shining more light on the subject, or using a
> bigger lens (lower f stop) or a more sensitive pickup device, or
> designing less noisy video amplifiers, but there will always be less
> original information available from darker surfaces.
>
> Rod.

Or scanning the spectrum.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<otu6ji5hl872l5u8vvuvfa1p41u9vud44e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42401&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42401

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:24:10 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 07:24 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:33:22 -0000 (UTC), jon <jon@nospam.cn> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:22:28 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

>>>Why don't they use a negative image, I do that quite often when
>>>transcribing a dark document.
>>>
>>>Would have thought the software analysing the facial image could try
>>>both and select which gives the best results.
>>>

>> It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental problem
>> is that it contains less information. Making it negative is just turning
>> it upside down, but it's still based on the amount of light that entered
>> the lens from the subject, and you won't get any more of it by messing
>> about with the signal after the event.
>>
>> You can improve matters by shining more light on the subject, or using a
>> bigger lens (lower f stop) or a more sensitive pickup device, or
>> designing less noisy video amplifiers, but there will always be less
>> original information available from darker surfaces.
>>
>> Rod.
>
>Or scanning the spectrum.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. A visual image intended for human
eyes is normally derived only from the part of the spectrum that is
visible to us. There would be plenty more available without that
restriction, but normally what you can see is all you can get.

Rod.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<uh0b97$1nhr3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42402&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42402

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:05:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:05 UTC

There is I'm afraid a lot of shallow bandwagon jumping people around today,
who have never thought things through. In most wars, in the end people will
have to completely annihilate the opposition, or learn to agree to differ.
Brian

--

--:
"Roderick Stewart" <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:33:22 -0000 (UTC), jon <jon@nospam.cn> wrote:

>>> It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental problem
>>> is that it contains less information. Making it negative is just turning
>>> it upside down, but it's still based on the amount of light that entered
>>> the lens from the subject, and you won't get any more of it by messing
>>> about with the signal after the event.
>>>
>>> You can improve matters by shining more light on the subject, or using a
>>> bigger lens (lower f stop) or a more sensitive pickup device, or
>>> designing less noisy video amplifiers, but there will always be less
>>> original information available from darker surfaces.
>>>
>>> Rod.
>>
>>Or scanning the spectrum.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that. A visual image intended for human
> eyes is normally derived only from the part of the spectrum that is
> visible to us. There would be plenty more available without that
> restriction, but normally what you can see is all you can get.
>
> Rod.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<uh0s2l$1r0qt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42403&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42403

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:51:49 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:51 UTC

On 20/10/2023 12:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental problem
> is that it contains less information. Making it negative is just turning
> it upside down, but it's still based on the amount of light that entered
> the lens from the subject, and you won't get any more of it by messing
> about with the signal after the event. You can improve matters by
> shining more light on the subject, or using a bigger lens (lower f stop)
> or a more sensitive pickup device, or designing less noisy video
> amplifiers, but there will always be less original information available
> from darker surfaces.

That's not the problem.

When he holds still I can see him perfectly well. But when he nods his
head the CODEC only updates the edges of his forehead, while moving
everything from the eyes down and the outline of his head correctly.
After a while (next I frame?) his forehead catches up.

My guess is is that the authors have chosen to reduce the update
frequency on dark surfaces - as you say they aren't as easily seen.

At least I think that's what is going on. I'd like confirmation that
other people are seeing the same phenomenon.

Note to all TV lovers: never ever EVER get a job developing TVs. You
will be taught how to see all the picture defects, and it will interfere
with your viewing. DAMHIK...

Andy

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<i5m9ji9veremvbampm3cd59nnlcr8bltjb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42404&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42404

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:19:22 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:19 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:51:49 +0100, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 20/10/2023 12:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>> It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental problem
>> is that it contains less information. Making it negative is just turning
>> it upside down, but it's still based on the amount of light that entered
>> the lens from the subject, and you won't get any more of it by messing
>> about with the signal after the event. You can improve matters by
>> shining more light on the subject, or using a bigger lens (lower f stop)
>> or a more sensitive pickup device, or designing less noisy video
>> amplifiers, but there will always be less original information available
>> from darker surfaces.
>
>That's not the problem.
>
>When he holds still I can see him perfectly well. But when he nods his
>head the CODEC only updates the edges of his forehead, while moving
>everything from the eyes down and the outline of his head correctly.
>After a while (next I frame?) his forehead catches up.
>
>My guess is is that the authors have chosen to reduce the update
>frequency on dark surfaces - as you say they aren't as easily seen.

In order for the system to update something that has changed between
frames, it has to detect that something has in fact changed. It can
only do that by comparing information between frames. This will
inevitably be more difficult to do in parts of the frame that contain
less information, so that changes are less apparent.

For me, the type of shot that shows up low bit rates most readily is
in a low key scene where an actor is lit from the side and they nod
their head, whereupon their face almost seems to split into two parts
that move independently. The two sides of the face are at different
brightness levels and so the system treats them differently, the
brighter side presumably receiving more frequent and/or more accurate
updates because there is more information to work on.

Rod.

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<kpk48eFrctiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42405&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42405

From: removetab@snglinks.com (Ashley Booth)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 22 Oct 2023 08:19:26 GMT
 by: Ashley Booth - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:19 UTC

Vir Campestris wrote:

> On 20/10/2023 12:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> > It doesn't matter what you do with the signal if the fundamental
> > problem is that it contains less information. Making it negative
> > is just turning it upside down, but it's still based on the amount
> > of light that entered the lens from the subject, and you won't get
> > any more of it by messing about with the signal after the event.
> > You can improve matters by shining more light on the subject, or
> > using a bigger lens (lower f stop) or a more sensitive pickup
> > device, or designing less noisy video amplifiers, but there will
> > always be less original information available from darker surfaces.
>
> That's not the problem.
>
> When he holds still I can see him perfectly well. But when he nods
> his head the CODEC only updates the edges of his forehead, while
> moving everything from the eyes down and the outline of his head
> correctly. After a while (next I frame?) his forehead catches up.
>
> My guess is is that the authors have chosen to reduce the update
> frequency on dark surfaces - as you say they aren't as easily seen.
>
> At least I think that's what is going on. I'd like confirmation that
> other people are seeing the same phenomenon.
>
> Note to all TV lovers: never ever EVER get a job developing TVs. You
> will be taught how to see all the picture defects, and it will
> interfere with your viewing. DAMHIK...
>
> Andy

I used to align a telicine. (Rank Cintel MkIII).
When watching a film on tv I kept on spotting registration etc errors
and was shouting out 'tweek r17!' or whatever it was.

--

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<uhb9as$qfn7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42425&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42425

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:39:24 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 14:39 UTC

On 21/10/2023 16:51, Vir Campestris wrote:

> When he holds still I can see him perfectly well. But when he nods his
> head the CODEC only updates the edges of his forehead, while moving
> everything from the eyes down and the outline of his head correctly.
> After a while (next I frame?) his forehead catches up.

He's gone home, and Rita Chakrabarti has taken over.

She's not bald, but she has black hair. Which looks just as bad :(

Andy

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<d1290a75-af81-405b-9b42-ed65ee3d72b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42426&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42426

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:15 UTC

On Friday, 20 October 2023 at 09:52:53 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Obviously I am not qualified to say much.

That never stops you!

Bill

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<05215226-a421-477f-a25e-d8802730199en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42427&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42427

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:17:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:17 UTC

On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 16:51:53 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 20/10/2023 12:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> Note to all TV lovers: never ever EVER get a job developing TVs. You
> will be taught how to see all the picture defects, and it will interfere
> with your viewing. DAMHIK...

I still look for ghosting!

Bill

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<5af9083ef6charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42428&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42428

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 23 19:45:03 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:45 UTC

In article <05215226-a421-477f-a25e-d8802730199en@googlegroups.com>,
wrightsaerials@aol.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 16:51:53 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
> > On 20/10/2023 12:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> > Note to all TV lovers: never ever EVER get a job developing TVs. You
> > will be taught how to see all the picture defects, and it will
> > interfere with your viewing. DAMHIK...

> I still look for ghosting!

> Bill

I watch very little. Having to watch all 24 episodes of War & Peace over a
weekend was enough tv for life.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Palestine, racial prejudice, and CODECs

<uhmhe7$2b7n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42445&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42445

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:05:07 +0000
 by: SH - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:05 UTC

On 25/10/2023 20:17, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 16:51:53 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
>> On 20/10/2023 12:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>
>> Note to all TV lovers: never ever EVER get a job developing TVs. You
>> will be taught how to see all the picture defects, and it will interfere
>> with your viewing. DAMHIK...
>
> I still look for ghosting!
>
> Bill

I still look for moire!