From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: New warning about copyright
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:19:45 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

I've just noticed that a new symbol has appeared with the recorded
programme titles on my Panasonic PVR. The symbol looks like a tilted
blue oval with an exclamation mark upright in the centre.

When I press the "information" button on the remote, not only does it
show me the usual synopsis and programme date and time of recording,
channel, and what type the programme is, but now there's another line
with that symbol and the wording next to it:
"Playback with DNLA function may not be possible due to copyright signal."

I'm sure the symbol wasn't there a couple of days ago, and interestingly
appears on all recorded programme titles, even those recorded 9 years ago!

A quick internet search didn't reveal any info. Anyone know anything
about this, and does it appear with Humax PVRs, and perhaps others?

--

Jeff

Re: New warning about copyright

<uhl84b$3q938$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42434&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42434

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: New warning about copyright
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:20:10 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:20 UTC

I'd have thought it might now be time for some enterprising person to re
introduce video cassettes.
I know according to a friend that some programs somehow only record locally
in a lower definition version.

Do they really think the world is full of pirates? Most of the stuff out
there is hardly worth pirating.
Oh and how is it in Blankettty Blank there is no AD reading the final word
or whatever? Its really pointless if you cannot tell what the winning word
was. When the old series used to be on, they did actually tell you on the
sound. Now all we get is a hyper active audience reaction as if they are on
some kind of drug.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jeff Layman" <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I've just noticed that a new symbol has appeared with the recorded
> programme titles on my Panasonic PVR. The symbol looks like a tilted blue
> oval with an exclamation mark upright in the centre.
>
> When I press the "information" button on the remote, not only does it show
> me the usual synopsis and programme date and time of recording, channel,
> and what type the programme is, but now there's another line with that
> symbol and the wording next to it:
> "Playback with DNLA function may not be possible due to copyright signal."
>
> I'm sure the symbol wasn't there a couple of days ago, and interestingly
> appears on all recorded programme titles, even those recorded 9 years ago!
>
> A quick internet search didn't reveal any info. Anyone know anything about
> this, and does it appear with Humax PVRs, and perhaps others?
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Re: New warning about copyright

<uhlm2o$3smfk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42435&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42435

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:18:17 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:18 UTC

On 28/10/2023 18:19, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I've just noticed that a new symbol has appeared with the recorded
> programme titles on my Panasonic PVR. The symbol looks like a tilted
> blue oval with an exclamation mark upright in the centre.
>
> When I press the "information" button on the remote, not only does it
> show me the usual synopsis and programme date and time of recording,
> channel, and what type the programme is, but now there's another line
> with that symbol and the wording next to it:
> "Playback with DNLA function may not be possible due to copyright signal."
>
> I'm sure the symbol wasn't there a couple of days ago, and interestingly
> appears on all recorded programme titles, even those recorded 9 years ago!
>
> A quick internet search didn't reveal any info. Anyone know anything
> about this, and does it appear with Humax PVRs, and perhaps others?

On the Humax Fox some programmes have an "enc" flag which indicates that
is can't be copied (via the USB socket); in practice this is HD content.

(Actually all programmes are encrypted before being stored on the HD;
the "enc" means that it won't decrypt it for you before copying it onto
a USB stick, though there are ways around this.)

I've got a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder and there are not restrictions on
copying programmes onto DVD, though they will only be SD as that is what
DVD is.

--
Max Demian

Re: New warning about copyright

<uhlslp$3u8sb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42437&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42437

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:10:49 +0000
 by: MikeS - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:10 UTC

On 28/10/2023 18:19, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I've just noticed that a new symbol has appeared with the recorded
> programme titles on my Panasonic PVR. The symbol looks like a tilted
> blue oval with an exclamation mark upright in the centre.
>
> When I press the "information" button on the remote, not only does it
> show me the usual synopsis and programme date and time of recording,
> channel, and what type the programme is, but now there's another line
> with that symbol and the wording next to it:
> "Playback with DNLA function may not be possible due to copyright signal."
>
> I'm sure the symbol wasn't there a couple of days ago, and interestingly
> appears on all recorded programme titles, even those recorded 9 years ago!
>
> A quick internet search didn't reveal any info. Anyone know anything
> about this, and does it appear with Humax PVRs, and perhaps others?

My Panasonic TV records to a USB drive and recordings can be viewed over
DLNA from the TV. No sign of that symbol but I found long ago that HD
recordings are restricted. They can be viewed in HD on the TV but only
SD via DLNA.

Re: New warning about copyright

<uhnqt0$cn30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42448&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42448

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:52:48 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:52 UTC

On 29/10/2023 15:10, MikeS wrote:
> On 28/10/2023 18:19, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I've just noticed that a new symbol has appeared with the recorded
>> programme titles on my Panasonic PVR. The symbol looks like a tilted
>> blue oval with an exclamation mark upright in the centre.
>>
>> When I press the "information" button on the remote, not only does it
>> show me the usual synopsis and programme date and time of recording,
>> channel, and what type the programme is, but now there's another line
>> with that symbol and the wording next to it:
>> "Playback with DNLA function may not be possible due to copyright signal."
>>
>> I'm sure the symbol wasn't there a couple of days ago, and interestingly
>> appears on all recorded programme titles, even those recorded 9 years ago!
>>
>> A quick internet search didn't reveal any info. Anyone know anything
>> about this, and does it appear with Humax PVRs, and perhaps others?
>>
> My Panasonic TV records to a USB drive and recordings can be viewed over
> DLNA from the TV. No sign of that symbol but I found long ago that HD
> recordings are restricted. They can be viewed in HD on the TV but only
> SD via DLNA.

This isn't about SD vs HD in terms of saving/decryption, etc. On my PVR
*all* recordings, whether SD or HD, have this new DNLA symbol. It's
quite possible that it came down with a recent system update. I would
guess that if you look for an update for your TV, and if one exists and
you install it, that you might start to see the same DNLA warning. I
guess I could try it on my TV, which also has the ability to record,
although I've never used it.

--

Jeff