Work is the curse of the drinking classes. -- Mike Romanoff

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

SubjectAuthor
* HMS Brilliant BocumentaryJeff Gaines
+* Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryAndy Burns
|`* Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryJeff Gaines
| `* Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryAndy Burns
|  `- Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryRobin
`* Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryJMB99
 `* Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryRoderick Stewart
  +- Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryJMB99
  `- Re: HMS Brilliant BocumentaryPaul Ratcliffe

1
HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<xn0o8uru69v8wjp00o@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42462&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42462

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary
Date: 2 Nov 2023 10:03:30 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 10:03 UTC

For info.

HMS Brilliant documentary to be relaunched after 30 years.

The BBC is repeating Chris Terrill's award-winning series about HMS
Brilliant from 1995. It will be shown on BBC 4 from November 7 at 2205.
Two episodes will be shown each night for three weeks (and available on
iPlayer).

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<kqhh8qFfs2gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42464&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42464

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:59:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:59 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Two episodes will be shown each night for three weeks

30 parts?

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<xn0o8uw6ba18gs700p@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42466&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42466

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 2 Nov 2023 12:51:07 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 12:51 UTC

On 02/11/2023 in message <kqhh8qFfs2gU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>Two episodes will be shown each night for three weeks
>
>30 parts?

It does seem a long series, I didn't see the original but enjoy things
like "Warship" - when I learned the Nay has lady drivers now!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<kqhmguFfs2gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42467&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42467

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 13:28:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 13:28 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>> Two episodes will be shown each night for three weeks
>>
>> 30 parts?
>
> It does seem a long series, I didn't see the original but enjoy things
> like "Warship" - when I learned the Nay has lady drivers now!

Someone on youtube has 7 episodes of 49 mins ea.

<https://www.youtube.com/@philmorrismbe3406/playlists>

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<0143ef34-7bc5-4564-af22-328ebfe9a256@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42468&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42468

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:36:30 +0000
 by: Robin - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:36 UTC

On 02/11/2023 13:28, Andy Burns wrote:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> 30 parts?
>>
>> It does seem a long series, I didn't see the original but enjoy things
>> like "Warship" - when I learned the Nay has lady drivers now!
>
> Someone on youtube has 7 episodes of 49 mins ea.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/@philmorrismbe3406/playlists>

6 in 1995 and 6 listed now
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001s7x1/broadcasts/upcoming
--
Robin

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<ui13st$2d9ps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42471&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42471

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:21:33 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:21 UTC

On 02/11/2023 10:03, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> The BBC is repeating Chris Terrill's award-winning series about HMS
> Brilliant from 1995. It will be shown on BBC 4 from November 7 at 2205.
> Two episodes will be shown each night for three weeks (and available on
> iPlayer).

They seem to be putting a lot of old series on iPlayer, I watched the
whole of Hamish MacBeth at the weekend.

There was something said a few days ago about all (? or at least a lot
of old Dr Who episodes on iPlayer.

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<cog9kit5r7ek2namg5bfdi76vcso99anll@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42475&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42475

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 10:13:01 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:13 UTC

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:21:33 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 02/11/2023 10:03, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> The BBC is repeating Chris Terrill's award-winning series about HMS
>> Brilliant from 1995. It will be shown on BBC 4 from November 7 at 2205.
>> Two episodes will be shown each night for three weeks (and available on
>> iPlayer).
>

>They seem to be putting a lot of old series on iPlayer, I watched the
>whole of Hamish MacBeth at the weekend.
>
>There was something said a few days ago about all (? or at least a lot
>of old Dr Who episodes on iPlayer.

If they've got any sense, they'll be preparing for the day when they
are no longer supported by the blanket coverage of a licence fee, and
have to earn their own living like everybody else on the basis of what
they offer, because that's almost inevitably what will happen.

Over the air broadcasting as currently implemented doesn't offer the
possibility of a paywall without millions of viewers having to buy new
equipment - but the internet does. The more material on offer, the
more likely people will be prepared to pay a subscription to see it.
Or one of several subscriptions depending on programme type. Or
individual payments for individual programmes. All of these are
schemes that are already in use.

Rod.

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<ui2v5q$2q9ms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42476&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42476

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:13:15 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:13 UTC

On 03/11/2023 10:13, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> If they've got any sense, they'll be preparing for the day when they
> are no longer supported by the blanket coverage of a licence fee, and
> have to earn their own living like everybody else on the basis of what
> they offer, because that's almost inevitably what will happen.
>
> Over the air broadcasting as currently implemented doesn't offer the
> possibility of a paywall without millions of viewers having to buy new
> equipment - but the internet does. The more material on offer, the
> more likely people will be prepared to pay a subscription to see it.
> Or one of several subscriptions depending on programme type. Or
> individual payments for individual programmes. All of these are
> schemes that are already in use.

Perhaps end up a battle of who can afford the most expensive encryption.
Don't forget we have already had a case of an unscrupulous company
hiring someone to crack a rival's encryption then leaking the details to
the world.

Re: HMS Brilliant Bocumentary

<slrnukaob3.r8k.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42478&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42478

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 21:08:52 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 21:08 UTC

On Fri, 03 Nov 2023 10:13:01 +0000, Roderick Stewart
<rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> If they've got any sense, they'll be preparing for the day when they
> are no longer supported by the blanket coverage of a licence fee, and
> have to earn their own living like everybody else on the basis of what
> they offer, because that's almost inevitably what will happen.

Woof. Said Pavlov's dog.

Christ, do you ever give it up?