I'll never get off this planet. -- Luke Skywalker

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Dolby surround and Atmos?

SubjectAuthor
* Dolby surround and Atmos?Brian Gaff
`* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?R. Mark Clayton
 +* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?Brian Gaff
 |`* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?R. Mark Clayton
 | `* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?Brian Gaff
 |  `* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?R. Mark Clayton
 |   `* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?Bob Latham
 |    `* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?tony sayer
 |     `- Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?R. Mark Clayton
 `* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?jon
  `* Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?Brian Gaff
   `- Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?R. Mark Clayton

1
Dolby surround and Atmos?

<uij0oh$299t0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42497&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42497

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Dolby surround and Atmos?
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 16:18:22 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 16:18 UTC

There does seem to be a sudden increase in older recordings in the purely
audio catalogue, like Genesis, Beatles, and many more now being put out in
such formats on blue ray, that I did wonder if it really is worth the money
for a surround system, even if you are blind.
The big disadvantage with today's gear is the lack of accessible front
panel controls, ie they tend to have touch screens, so that would mean
relying on a remote. Also do they even have analogue inputs any more?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<2544672e-e1e6-42c4-be99-c872b48a81acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42498&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42498

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 09:25:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 17:25 UTC

On Thursday, 9 November 2023 at 16:18:29 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> There does seem to be a sudden increase in older recordings in the purely
> audio catalogue, like Genesis, Beatles, and many more now being put out in
> such formats on blue ray, that I did wonder if it really is worth the money
> for a surround system, even if you are blind.
> The big disadvantage with today's gear is the lack of accessible front
> panel controls, ie they tend to have touch screens, so that would mean
> relying on a remote. Also do they even have analogue inputs any more?
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

From around the time of Sergeant Pepper's in 1967, better music was recorded onto 8 track or more channels which allows a surround field to be created.. Realistically of course any live performance would normally be from a stage and regular stereo will reproduce this very well. Nevertheless I normally play music in multi-stereo which replicates the fronts on the rear and gives a more immersive sound.

For film the effect is more noticeable [if done right]. I first encountered 31/2 channel Dolby Pro Logic in ~1997 - Three Musketeers or similar - the dialog [in a carriage] on centre, the main sound track in front stereo and horsemen galloping up behind (from the rears] were all quite distinct. Recent AV Amps are a full 5.1.

Most AV Amps still have some knobs, and comprehensive remotes (on my Sony the only thing the remote can't do is switch the A/B speakers), however once set up there is rarely need to change much apart from the volume or inputs.. Many AV Amps still have line in, often on the front. https://www.richersounds.com/onkyo-txsr393-black.html would probably fit the bill at £299, you might need some extra speakers too.

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<uil2s3$2ps6t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42502&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42502

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:06:38 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:06 UTC

Yes, well, I use vinyl cd, inputs from other legacy, as they are called now
it seems line in formats. Obviously people like Apple Music stream the multi
channel sound or as I say you can go optical with Blue Ray which one
supposes can do DVD and audio CDs as well asgetting analogue out of the
alexa and mobile phone.
I bet somebody is making some very expensive add on boxes for this. I also
not that TVs have optical only outputs like Samsung, but we don't all want
the amp within a few inches of a tv, indeed one does not need a tv at all if
one gets the right usb stick on the computer it seems.
I feel the biggest issue would be new matching speakers and where to put
them in today's small living rooms. I have a friend who even has some
devices called butt kickers under his seats for really low frequencies, but
to me they are not very realistic, and need to have a huge power amp
connected to them!
I rather fancy Atmos though, as some years ago I went to an early demo,
which had speakers on the ceiling and the extra ambiance was certainly
realistic on recordings made to exploit it but of course its like the case
with any new system often the demos were recorded expressly to make it sound
good.
Brian

--

--:
"R. Mark Clayton" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Thursday, 9 November 2023 at 16:18:29 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> There does seem to be a sudden increase in older recordings in the purely
> audio catalogue, like Genesis, Beatles, and many more now being put out in
> such formats on blue ray, that I did wonder if it really is worth the
> money
> for a surround system, even if you are blind.
> The big disadvantage with today's gear is the lack of accessible front
> panel controls, ie they tend to have touch screens, so that would mean
> relying on a remote. Also do they even have analogue inputs any more?
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

From around the time of Sergeant Pepper's in 1967, better music was recorded
onto 8 track or more channels which allows a surround field to be created.
Realistically of course any live performance would normally be from a stage
and regular stereo will reproduce this very well. Nevertheless I normally
play music in multi-stereo which replicates the fronts on the rear and gives
a more immersive sound.

For film the effect is more noticeable [if done right]. I first encountered
31/2 channel Dolby Pro Logic in ~1997 - Three Musketeers or similar - the
dialog [in a carriage] on centre, the main sound track in front stereo and
horsemen galloping up behind (from the rears] were all quite distinct.
Recent AV Amps are a full 5.1.

Most AV Amps still have some knobs, and comprehensive remotes (on my Sony
the only thing the remote can't do is switch the A/B speakers), however once
set up there is rarely need to change much apart from the volume or inputs.
Many AV Amps still have line in, often on the front.
https://www.richersounds.com/onkyo-txsr393-black.html would probably fit the
bill at �299, you might need some extra speakers too.

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<6dbfe9e2-f18f-41f4-b773-1cdb31297c5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42504&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42504

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 06:53:36 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 14:53 UTC

On Friday, 10 November 2023 at 11:06:47 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Yes, well, I use vinyl cd, inputs from other legacy, as they are called now
> it seems line in formats. Obviously people like Apple Music stream the multi
> channel sound or as I say you can go optical with Blue Ray which one
> supposes can do DVD and audio CDs as well asgetting analogue out of the
> alexa and mobile phone.
> I bet somebody is making some very expensive add on boxes for this. I also
> not that TVs have optical only outputs like Samsung, but we don't all want
> the amp within a few inches of a tv, indeed one does not need a tv at all if
> one gets the right usb stick on the computer it seems.
> I feel the biggest issue would be new matching speakers and where to put
> them in today's small living rooms. I have a friend who even has some
> devices called butt kickers under his seats for really low frequencies, but
> to me they are not very realistic, and need to have a huge power amp
> connected to them!
> I rather fancy Atmos though, as some years ago I went to an early demo,
> which had speakers on the ceiling and the extra ambiance was certainly
> realistic on recordings made to exploit it but of course its like the case
> with any new system often the demos were recorded expressly to make it sound
> good.
> Brian
>
> --

Apart from a handful of quadriphonic vinyl LPs decades ago you only get stereo from vinyl and most CD's.

My Blu-Ray player (2009) plays DVD's, CD's and USB drives.

Many TV's have optical out. As does my PC. I have a 10m fibre optic "cable" from it to my AV Amp in the lounge.
In extremis TV's usually have a headphone jack for analog output. Many AV Amps have Bluetooth input.

Many modern speakers are quite small, but give impressive results.

> SNIP

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<uinlt9$3dc4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42505&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42505

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:43:49 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:43 UTC

Well, according to the blurb on the Blue Rays the Beatles put out they are
in atmoss, but then they also include a lot of video and all sorts of tat to
justify their costs. Its really clever marketing of course. We all got the
vinyl, then a cassette for portable, then a remastered cd, now remixes with
surround and atmos. Basically selling the same product tweaked. Now I do
have to say that the new mixes of the Stereo beatles stuff ids in the
majority of cases better and clearer, but I'm not so sure about the ones
made from the 2 and four track albums like Rubber Soul and previous ones
except for Help.

The use of AI to try to unmix stuff to make more channels is nearly always
sounding like it might have been created by a robot, since its only able to
remove bleed over to some extent, making a smearing effect on the mixes.
Silk purses from sows ears etc.
We have Sir Peter Jacksone and Giles Martin to thank for this new
innovation.

Brian

--

--:
> On Friday, 10 November 2023 at 11:06:47 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Yes, well, I use vinyl cd, inputs from other legacy, as they are called
>> now
>> it seems line in formats. Obviously people like Apple Music stream the
>> multi
>> channel sound or as I say you can go optical with Blue Ray which one
>> supposes can do DVD and audio CDs as well asgetting analogue out of the
>> alexa and mobile phone.
>> I bet somebody is making some very expensive add on boxes for this. I
>> also
>> not that TVs have optical only outputs like Samsung, but we don't all
>> want
>> the amp within a few inches of a tv, indeed one does not need a tv at all
>> if
>> one gets the right usb stick on the computer it seems.
>> I feel the biggest issue would be new matching speakers and where to put
>> them in today's small living rooms. I have a friend who even has some
>> devices called butt kickers under his seats for really low frequencies,
>> but
>> to me they are not very realistic, and need to have a huge power amp
>> connected to them!
>> I rather fancy Atmos though, as some years ago I went to an early demo,
>> which had speakers on the ceiling and the extra ambiance was certainly
>> realistic on recordings made to exploit it but of course its like the
>> case
>> with any new system often the demos were recorded expressly to make it
>> sound
>> good.
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>
> Apart from a handful of quadriphonic vinyl LPs decades ago you only get
> stereo from vinyl and most CD's.
>
> My Blu-Ray player (2009) plays DVD's, CD's and USB drives.
>
> Many TV's have optical out. As does my PC. I have a 10m fibre optic
> "cable" from it to my AV Amp in the lounge.
> In extremis TV's usually have a headphone jack for analog output. Many AV
> Amps have Bluetooth input.
>
> Many modern speakers are quite small, but give impressive results.
>
>> SNIP

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<d4186b87-bcef-4b99-bda0-231f708bc819n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42508&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42508

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 11:49:10 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 19:49 UTC

On Saturday, 11 November 2023 at 10:43:57 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well, according to the blurb on the Blue Rays the Beatles put out they are
> in atmoss, but then they also include a lot of video and all sorts of tat to
> justify their costs. Its really clever marketing of course. We all got the
> vinyl, then a cassette for portable, then a remastered cd, now remixes with
> surround and atmos. Basically selling the same product tweaked. Now I do
> have to say that the new mixes of the Stereo beatles stuff ids in the
> majority of cases better and clearer, but I'm not so sure about the ones
> made from the 2 and four track albums like Rubber Soul and previous ones
> except for Help.

Vinyl afficionados will swear that a vinyl record listened to on a valve amp will give better quality.
This is tosh. Vinyl signal to noise is poor plus wow flutter and scratches. Valve amps add pink noise and "soft" clipping.

Cassette was noticeably worse, but CD was a major improvement.

As previously stated around the time of Sergeant Pepper's major artists were record onto 8 track or better masters at very high quality and creating a sound field worthy of some sort of surround is probably worthwhile.

> The use of AI to try to unmix stuff to make more channels is nearly always
> sounding like it might have been created by a robot, since its only able to
> remove bleed over to some extent, making a smearing effect on the mixes.
> Silk purses from sows ears etc.

If you sit in a real concert hall, let alone average rock venues you get plenty of this, they are called echoes...

> We have Sir Peter Jacksone and Giles Martin to thank for this new
> innovation.
> Brian
>
> --
> SNIP

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<uiscth$g9ku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42509&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42509

From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 05:41:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 05:41 UTC

On Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:25:42 -0800, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> On Thursday, 9 November 2023 at 16:18:29 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> There does seem to be a sudden increase in older recordings in the
>> purely audio catalogue, like Genesis, Beatles, and many more now being
>> put out in such formats on blue ray, that I did wonder if it really is
>> worth the money for a surround system, even if you are blind.
>> The big disadvantage with today's gear is the lack of accessible front
>> panel controls, ie they tend to have touch screens, so that would mean
>> relying on a remote. Also do they even have analogue inputs any more?
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>>
>> --:
>> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
>
> From around the time of Sergeant Pepper's in 1967, better music was
> recorded onto 8 track or more channels which allows a surround field to
> be created. Realistically of course any live performance would normally
> be from a stage and regular stereo will reproduce this very well.
> Nevertheless I normally play music in multi-stereo which replicates the
> fronts on the rear and gives a more immersive sound.
>
> For film the effect is more noticeable [if done right]. I first
> encountered 31/2 channel Dolby Pro Logic in ~1997 - Three Musketeers or
> similar - the dialog [in a carriage] on centre, the main sound track in
> front stereo and horsemen galloping up behind (from the rears] were all
> quite distinct. Recent AV Amps are a full 5.1.
>
> Most AV Amps still have some knobs, and comprehensive remotes (on my
> Sony the only thing the remote can't do is switch the A/B speakers),
> however once set up there is rarely need to change much apart from the
> volume or inputs. Many AV Amps still have line in, often on the front.
> https://www.richersounds.com/onkyo-txsr393-black.html would probably fit
> the bill at £299, you might need some extra speakers too.

I can't find any reference to this, but Quo Vardis had surround sound at
the Granada cinema in Hounslow. I saw this exceptional film in 1951. Only
ref I could find is: https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/30254

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<5b029aa583bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42511&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42511

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 09:38:52 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 09:38 UTC

In article <d4186b87-bcef-4b99-bda0-231f708bc819n@googlegroups.com>,
R. Mark Clayton <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

> Vinyl afficionados will swear that a vinyl record listened to on a
> valve amp will give better quality.

Back on the hobby horse, having a vent at vinyl.

Better than what? CD?

Some people prefer the sound of vinyl for all sorts of reasons. Some
also prefer valves even for CD playback. It may be argued by some
they they suit each other. I can't think why this cause you a problem.

I've not purchased a vinyl recording since the 80s and have largely
left it behind because it is much less practical than digital.

Most vinyl enthusiasts do not claim it sounds better than CD they
have more sense. They stopped saying that when it was no longer true
as CD had become enjoyable in the late 80s and early 90s provided you
could afford a Meridian or something equally good.
They do say "they *PREFER* the sound of vinyl" sometimes adding "when
done properly". Which is NOT at all the same thing and fair enough, I
understand why.

> This is tosh. Vinyl signal to
> noise is poor plus wow flutter and scratches.

Yes, we've got the message, you have a warped and out of all
proportion hatred of vinyl.

> Valve amps add pink noise and "soft" clipping.

They do indeed, it can be quite appealing in a nostalgic sort of way.

> Cassette was noticeably worse,

A Nakamichi deck my friend owned gave fabulous recording results and
as I recall, the dolby on it wasn't the consumer grade version. I
would have loved one, didn't have the money at the time.

> but CD was a major improvement.

Eventually yes. But initially early players were a bit grim IMHO and
you coudn't record on it in those days either.

> As previously stated around the time of Sergeant Pepper's major
> artists were record onto 8 track or better masters at very high
> quality and creating a sound field worthy of some sort of surround
> is probably worthwhile.

And yet many of the finest recordings I have in my collection are
crossed pair recording, just two channels, no mixer.

Try listening to this fabulous recording..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CANTATE-DOMINO-Various/dp/B0000E64YT

Recorded on an analogue stereo Revox recorder in 1976.
Most of the reviews are spot on. A stunning recording. If you're
interested in sound recording and reproduction this should be in your
collection.

The track "Julsang" was chosen by KEF to demonstrate their R105
speakers imaging ability. Spine tingling and awesome. I was so
impressed I bought a pair.

Bob.

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<uj4lto$26o1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42533&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42533

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:03:49 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:03 UTC

Yes I need a lot of analogue inputs. I have to also ask what all this
spatial audio is all about. If as I suspect its mainly bringing out anti
phase artefacts from normal stereo, we have been able to do that at home for
years, first with the image width controls and later by custom plug ins for
computer sound cards.
It is not rocket science. Some live stuff I have like from Wings or the
Carpenters in London which I was at do sound much more like they should with
some subtle special bits added in.
Brian

--

--:
"jon" <jon@nospam.cn> wrote in message news:uiscth$g9ku$1@dont-email.me...
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:25:42 -0800, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 9 November 2023 at 16:18:29 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> There does seem to be a sudden increase in older recordings in the
>>> purely audio catalogue, like Genesis, Beatles, and many more now being
>>> put out in such formats on blue ray, that I did wonder if it really is
>>> worth the money for a surround system, even if you are blind.
>>> The big disadvantage with today's gear is the lack of accessible front
>>> panel controls, ie they tend to have touch screens, so that would mean
>>> relying on a remote. Also do they even have analogue inputs any more?
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> --:
>>> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
>>
>> From around the time of Sergeant Pepper's in 1967, better music was
>> recorded onto 8 track or more channels which allows a surround field to
>> be created. Realistically of course any live performance would normally
>> be from a stage and regular stereo will reproduce this very well.
>> Nevertheless I normally play music in multi-stereo which replicates the
>> fronts on the rear and gives a more immersive sound.
>>
>> For film the effect is more noticeable [if done right]. I first
>> encountered 31/2 channel Dolby Pro Logic in ~1997 - Three Musketeers or
>> similar - the dialog [in a carriage] on centre, the main sound track in
>> front stereo and horsemen galloping up behind (from the rears] were all
>> quite distinct. Recent AV Amps are a full 5.1.
>>
>> Most AV Amps still have some knobs, and comprehensive remotes (on my
>> Sony the only thing the remote can't do is switch the A/B speakers),
>> however once set up there is rarely need to change much apart from the
>> volume or inputs. Many AV Amps still have line in, often on the front.
>> https://www.richersounds.com/onkyo-txsr393-black.html would probably fit
>> the bill at �299, you might need some extra speakers too.
>
> I can't find any reference to this, but Quo Vardis had surround sound at
> the Granada cinema in Hounslow. I saw this exceptional film in 1951. Only
> ref I could find is: https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/30254

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<d4a02785-cf8d-4d8f-b25c-8e19616ad37fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42534&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42534

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 04:08:49 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 12:08 UTC

On Thursday, 16 November 2023 at 09:03:55 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Yes I need a lot of analogue inputs.

https://www.richersounds.com/denon-avr-x2800h-black.html

A mate bought one, OMA - very good. I have a Sony STR-DH 800, but its current version only has two analog inputs.

> I have to also ask what all this > spatial audio is all about.

Dunno - Google up.

> If as I suspect its mainly bringing out anti
> phase artefacts from normal stereo, we have been able to do that at home for
> years, first with the image width controls and later by custom plug ins for
> computer sound cards.
> It is not rocket science. Some live stuff I have like from Wings or the
> Carpenters in London which I was at do sound much more like they should with
> some subtle special bits added in.
> Brian
>
> --

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<tBqou5Cz8PYlFwa$@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42557&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42557

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:53:23 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:53 UTC

In article <5b029aa583bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-
of-spam.invalid> scribeth thus
>In article <d4186b87-bcef-4b99-bda0-231f708bc819n@googlegroups.com>,
> R. Mark Clayton <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Vinyl afficionados will swear that a vinyl record listened to on a
>> valve amp will give better quality.
>
>Back on the hobby horse, having a vent at vinyl.
>
>Better than what? CD?
>
>Some people prefer the sound of vinyl for all sorts of reasons. Some
>also prefer valves even for CD playback. It may be argued by some
>they they suit each other. I can't think why this cause you a problem.
>
>I've not purchased a vinyl recording since the 80s and have largely
>left it behind because it is much less practical than digital.
>
>Most vinyl enthusiasts do not claim it sounds better than CD they
>have more sense. They stopped saying that when it was no longer true
>as CD had become enjoyable in the late 80s and early 90s provided you
>could afford a Meridian or something equally good.
>
>They do say "they *PREFER* the sound of vinyl" sometimes adding "when
>done properly". Which is NOT at all the same thing and fair enough, I
>understand why.
>
>> This is tosh. Vinyl signal to
>> noise is poor plus wow flutter and scratches.
>
>Yes, we've got the message, you have a warped and out of all
>proportion hatred of vinyl.
>
>> Valve amps add pink noise and "soft" clipping.
>
>They do indeed, it can be quite appealing in a nostalgic sort of way.
>
>> Cassette was noticeably worse,
>
>A Nakamichi deck my friend owned gave fabulous recording results and
>as I recall, the dolby on it wasn't the consumer grade version. I
>would have loved one, didn't have the money at the time.
>
>> but CD was a major improvement.
>
>Eventually yes. But initially early players were a bit grim IMHO and
>you coudn't record on it in those days either.
>
>> As previously stated around the time of Sergeant Pepper's major
>> artists were record onto 8 track or better masters at very high
>> quality and creating a sound field worthy of some sort of surround
>> is probably worthwhile.
>
>And yet many of the finest recordings I have in my collection are
>crossed pair recording, just two channels, no mixer.
>
>Try listening to this fabulous recording..
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/CANTATE-DOMINO-Various/dp/B0000E64YT
>
>Recorded on an analogue stereo Revox recorder in 1976.
>Most of the reviews are spot on. A stunning recording. If you're
>interested in sound recording and reproduction this should be in your
>collection.
>
>The track "Julsang" was chosen by KEF to demonstrate their R105
>speakers imaging ability. Spine tingling and awesome. I was so
>impressed I bought a pair.
>

>Bob.

Still got a load of tapes recorded on very simple mic set-ups and even
done many year's ago still have that "being there" effect to them!

Not that you might what to a lot where of a local choral society usually
it was Pub -> practice with not the best results;!...

Usually AKG 451 capacitors and a small NEVE desk!

And a STUDER B62 at 15 IPS..
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Dolby surround and Atmos?

<2b74191e-63db-455a-83d4-fa590650cd57n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42563&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42563

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 04:19:27 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:19 UTC

On Friday, 24 November 2023 at 19:59:05 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <5b029a...@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-
> of-spam.invalid> scribeth thus
> >In article <d4186b87-bcef-4b99...@googlegroups.com>,
> > R. Mark Clayton <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Vinyl afficionados will swear that a vinyl record listened to on a
> >> valve amp will give better quality.
> >
> >Back on the hobby horse, having a vent at vinyl.

See below.

> >Better than what? CD?
> >
> >Some people prefer the sound of vinyl for all sorts of reasons. Some
> >also prefer valves even for CD playback. It may be argued by some
> >they they suit each other. I can't think why this cause you a problem.
> >
> >I've not purchased a vinyl recording since the 80s and have largely
> >left it behind because it is much less practical than digital.
> >
> >Most vinyl enthusiasts do not claim it sounds better than CD they
> >have more sense. They stopped saying that when it was no longer true
> >as CD had become enjoyable in the late 80s and early 90s provided you
> >could afford a Meridian or something equally good.
> >
> >They do say "they *PREFER* the sound of vinyl" sometimes adding "when
> >done properly". Which is NOT at all the same thing and fair enough, I
> >understand why.
> >
> >> This is tosh. Vinyl signal to
> >> noise is poor plus wow flutter and scratches.
> >
> >Yes, we've got the message, you have a warped and out of all
> >proportion hatred of vinyl.

No I don't have a "hatred of vinyl", most of my music is on vinyl. What I do have is contempt for people who say vinyl [on valve amps] is objectively better than CD. There seem to be two groups, the self-deluded and those seeking to profit from selling vastly over-priced products. E.g. https://www.vickershifi.com/products/urab845/unison-research-absolute-845-reference-dual-mono-integrated-valve-amplifier

There are those who swear that early British sports cars are superior to modern cars - you know under-powered, under-geared, too few bearings on the crank shaft [which breaks], rod / cable operated drum brakes, cart springs etc.