From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Setting Recordings
Date: 20 Nov 2023 16:16:48 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:16 UTC

Should recordings start at or around the time they are set or is some sort
of code broadcast?

I set up a recording for I'm a Celebrity last night (sad, sorry) and it
has been recorded but so has The Masked Singer and the box doesn't seem to
be able to distinguish in that the two recordings collapse into one
heading (The Masked Singer) and you can only see the separate titles when
it's expanded.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who

Re: Setting Recordings

<ujg1eq$ckrk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42540&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42540

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Setting Recordings
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:28:09 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:28 UTC

On 20 Nov 2023 16:16:48 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Should recordings start at or around the time they are set or is some
> sort of code broadcast?
>
> I set up a recording for I'm a Celebrity last night (sad, sorry) and
> it has been recorded but so has The Masked Singer and the box doesn't
> seem to be able to distinguish in that the two recordings collapse
> into one heading (The Masked Singer) and you can only see the
> separate titles when it's expanded.

Firstly, I would suggest that you describe what brand and model of
recorder you are using.
Depending on the answer to that, the answer might be: yes, no, or maybe.

--
Davey.

Re: Setting Recordings

<xn0o9kf8o6xopai00n@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42541&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42541

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 20 Nov 2023 18:25:16 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:25 UTC

On 20/11/2023 in message <ujg1eq$ckrk$1@dont-email.me> Davey wrote:

>On 20 Nov 2023 16:16:48 GMT
>"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>>Should recordings start at or around the time they are set or is some
>>sort of code broadcast?
>>
>>I set up a recording for I'm a Celebrity last night (sad, sorry) and
>>it has been recorded but so has The Masked Singer and the box doesn't
>>seem to be able to distinguish in that the two recordings collapse
>>into one heading (The Masked Singer) and you can only see the
>>separate titles when it's expanded.
>>

>Firstly, I would suggest that you describe what brand and model of
>recorder you are using.
>Depending on the answer to that, the answer might be: yes, no, or maybe.

It's a Freesat-4k-Recordable-PVR2020v38 according to the manual.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: Setting Recordings

<ujgid7$fj0d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42542&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42542

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:17:27 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:17 UTC

On 20 Nov 2023 18:25:16 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/2023 in message <ujg1eq$ckrk$1@dont-email.me> Davey wrote:
>
> >On 20 Nov 2023 16:16:48 GMT
> >"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Should recordings start at or around the time they are set or is
> >>some sort of code broadcast?
> >>
> >>I set up a recording for I'm a Celebrity last night (sad, sorry) and
> >>it has been recorded but so has The Masked Singer and the box
> >>doesn't seem to be able to distinguish in that the two recordings
> >>collapse into one heading (The Masked Singer) and you can only see
> >>the separate titles when it's expanded.
> >>

> >Firstly, I would suggest that you describe what brand and model of
> >recorder you are using.
> >Depending on the answer to that, the answer might be: yes, no, or
> >maybe.
>
> It's a Freesat-4k-Recordable-PVR2020v38 according to the manual.

I'm afraid I know nothing about that model, hopefully somebody here
will.
But in general, a code is indeed transmitted by the broadcaster,
although mistakes do happen. And different recorders have different
ways of modifying the start and stop points of the recordings. Look for
'Padding'.

--
Davey.

Re: Setting Recordings

<eMqcnckAVYyYfMb4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42543&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42543

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:43:13 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: NY - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:43 UTC

On 20/11/2023 21:17, Davey wrote:
> On 20 Nov 2023 18:25:16 GMT
> "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20/11/2023 in message <ujg1eq$ckrk$1@dont-email.me> Davey wrote:

>>> Firstly, I would suggest that you describe what brand and model of
>>> recorder you are using.
>>> Depending on the answer to that, the answer might be: yes, no, or
>>> maybe.
>>
>> It's a Freesat-4k-Recordable-PVR2020v38 according to the manual.
>>

> I'm afraid I know nothing about that model, hopefully somebody here
> will.
> But in general, a code is indeed transmitted by the broadcaster,
> although mistakes do happen. And different recorders have different
> ways of modifying the start and stop points of the recordings. Look for
> 'Padding'.

My experience with start/stop codes is that they are not something to
rely on. You are at the mercy of the broadcaster transmitting them at
the correct time - or even transmitting them at all.

I lost too many recordings when I tried using the facility, originally
with a VHS recorder in the days of analogue broadcasts and then with
NextPVR (I think) with Freeview digital recordings and a Freeview tuner
on a Windows PC. Sometimes a recording would fail to start, sometimes it
would start late and/or stop early. Once it started and kept going for
many hours until I happened to notice.

I now have my PVR software (TVHeadend on a Raspberry Pi) set to start 5
minutes early and finish 10 minutes late, and then trim off any excess
with VideoRedo.

Just after the Queen died, I temporarily changed the padding to allow 1
hour afterwards, because the scheduled programmes (the revised
Queen-oriented schedule) were almost invariably very different in timing
than what was published on Digiguide or the over-the-air EPG. Often live
studio interviews (ie not events such as the Proclamation of the King,
his arrival at Buckingham Palace, the funeral) seemed to take precedence
over recorded tributes and documentaries which were moved around
seemingly on a whim.

Re: Setting Recordings

<ks39o6FlakaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42546&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42546

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:57:45 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:57 UTC

On 20/11/2023 22:43, NY wrote:

> My experience with start/stop codes is that they are not something to
> rely on. You are at the mercy of the broadcaster transmitting them at
> the correct time - or even transmitting them at all.

+1
The start/end broadcast markers tend to be very reliable on the main
"traditional UK" channels but often not too good on the other channels.

My PVR, by default, adds padding to the start and end of programs but
then embeds the broadcast start/end makers into the recording. By
pressing a jump button on the remote when starting to watch a recording
the padding can be skipped.