A bore is a man who talks so much about himself that you can't talk about yourself.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

SubjectAuthor
* Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJMB99
+* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJNugent
|`* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJohn Armstrong
| +- Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsR. Mark Clayton
| +- Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJames Heaton
| `* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJNugent
|  `* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsPeter Johnson
|   `- Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJNugent
`* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearscharles
 +* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJMB99
 |`* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearscharles
 | `* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJMB99
 |  `- Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearscharles
 `* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJMB99
  `* Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearscharles
   `- Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 yearsJMB99

1
Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ukabda$1dldr$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42609&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42609

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:57:30 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:57 UTC

Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.

The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took over
the town of Fort William.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66889553

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ksrqktFecgfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42610&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42610

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:13:16 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:13 UTC

On 30/11/2023 03:57 pm, JMB99 wrote:

> Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years
> It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.
> The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
> paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took over
> the town of Fort William.

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66889553

I saw that on TV (circa, 1979 IIRC). And I have the book (which is a bit
more graphic).

I'd LOVE to see it again.

I particularly remember the scene where some of the main characters are
in a car approaching (or just leaving) a toll bridge and moan that "The
English get their estuary crossings free".

Since one of the writers was Douglas Hurd, that must have been put in in
order to demonstrate the bias of the character, since the truth is
exactly the opposite way round, as any Bristolian, Welshman, Tynesider,
Merseysider, Humbersider or Kent/Essex resident will immediately recognise.

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<kstnkvFddsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42614&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42614

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:34:23 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:34 UTC

On 30/11/2023 16:13, JNugent wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 03:57 pm, JMB99 wrote:
>
>> Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years
>> It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.
>> The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
>> paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took
>> over the town of Fort William.

>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66889553
>
> I saw that on TV (circa, 1979 IIRC). And I have the book (which is a bit
> more graphic).
>
> I'd LOVE to see it again.
>
> I particularly remember the scene where some of the main characters are
> in a car approaching (or just leaving) a toll bridge and moan that "The
> English get their estuary crossings free".
>
> Since one of the writers was Douglas Hurd, that must have been put in in
> order to demonstrate the bias of the character, since the truth is
> exactly the opposite way round, as any Bristolian, Welshman, Tynesider,
> Merseysider, Humbersider or Kent/Essex resident will immediately recognise.

It was true at the time. Bridge tolls on the Forth and Tay road bridges
were not abolished until February 2008.

By the SNP government.

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<12340481-2d09-4c7d-8792-0e2114ed9049n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42616&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42616

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 02:42:05 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 10:42 UTC

On Friday, 1 December 2023 at 09:34:27 UTC, John Armstrong wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 16:13, JNugent wrote:
> > On 30/11/2023 03:57 pm, JMB99 wrote:
> >
> >> Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years
> >> It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.
> >> The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
> >> paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took
> >> over the town of Fort William.

> >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66889553
> >
> > I saw that on TV (circa, 1979 IIRC). And I have the book (which is a bit
> > more graphic).
> >
> > I'd LOVE to see it again.
> >
> > I particularly remember the scene where some of the main characters are
> > in a car approaching (or just leaving) a toll bridge and moan that "The
> > English get their estuary crossings free".
> >
> > Since one of the writers was Douglas Hurd, that must have been put in in
> > order to demonstrate the bias of the character, since the truth is
> > exactly the opposite way round, as any Bristolian, Welshman, Tynesider,
> > Merseysider, Humbersider or Kent/Essex resident will immediately recognise.
> It was true at the time. Bridge tolls on the Forth and Tay road bridges
> were not abolished until February 2008.
>
> By the SNP government.

You had to queue (especially in the summer) and pay to use the ferry between North and South Queensferry. Forth Bridge (opened 1964) probably saved an hour's drive.

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<5b0be36127charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42617&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42617

Date: Fri, 01 Dec 23 10:45:04 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: charles - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 10:45 UTC

In article <ukabda$1dldr$9@dont-email.me>,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

> It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.

> The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
> paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took over
> the town of Fort William.

I can remember driving on a highland road (A87) and seeing where the bridge
got blown up. I knew it wasn't where the script said it was,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ukcfa5$1rcoc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42619&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42619

From: heatonandmoore@gmail.com (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 11:16:22 +0000
 by: James Heaton - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 11:16 UTC

On 01/12/2023 09:34, John Armstrong wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 16:13, JNugent wrote:
>> On 30/11/2023 03:57 pm, JMB99 wrote:
>>
>>> Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years
>>> It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.
>>> The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
>>> paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took
>>> over the town of Fort William.

>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66889553
>>
>> I saw that on TV (circa, 1979 IIRC). And I have the book (which is a
>> bit more graphic).
>>
>> I'd LOVE to see it again.
>>
>> I particularly remember the scene where some of the main characters
>> are in a car approaching (or just leaving) a toll bridge and moan that
>> "The English get their estuary crossings free".
>>
>> Since one of the writers was Douglas Hurd, that must have been put in
>> in order to demonstrate the bias of the character, since the truth is
>> exactly the opposite way round, as any Bristolian, Welshman,
>> Tynesider, Merseysider, Humbersider or Kent/Essex resident will
>> immediately recognise.
>
> It was true at the time. Bridge tolls on the Forth and Tay road bridges
> were not abolished until February 2008.
>
> By the SNP government.

It was true that Scottish crossings were tolled at the time.

However English crossings were not free as asserted by the character.

James

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ukckis$1sa8n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42621&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42621

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:46:21 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:46 UTC

On 01/12/2023 10:45, charles wrote:
> I can remember driving on a highland road (A87) and seeing where the bridge
> got blown up. I knew it wasn't where the script said it was,

It wasn't the old road was it?

You see the old bridge over Loch Loyne as you climb over to Glen Moriston.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/106621/loch-loyne-bridge

According to IMDB

Loch Garry, Dalnaspidal, Pitlochry, Perth & Kinross, Scotland, UK

(on location)

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<5b0bf6850acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42622&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42622

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 23 14:00:03 UTC
 by: charles - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 14:00 UTC

In article <ukckis$1sa8n$2@dont-email.me>,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 10:45, charles wrote:
> > I can remember driving on a highland road (A87) and seeing where the bridge
> > got blown up. I knew it wasn't where the script said it was,

> It wasn't the old road was it?

> You see the old bridge over Loch Loyne as you climb over to Glen Moriston.

> https://canmore.org.uk/site/106621/loch-loyne-bridge

I think it was Loch Garry, but it was 50 years ago!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ksubtvF751gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42623&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42623

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:20:31 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:20 UTC

On 01/12/2023 09:34 am, John Armstrong wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 16:13, JNugent wrote:
>> On 30/11/2023 03:57 pm, JMB99 wrote:
>>
>>> Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years
>>> It sounds like the most dramatic news story imaginable.
>>> The battle for Scottish independence has taken a violent turn after
>>> paramilitary "soldiers" of the Scottish Liberation Army (SLA) took
>>> over the town of Fort William.

>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66889553
>>
>> I saw that on TV (circa, 1979 IIRC). And I have the book (which is a
>> bit more graphic).
>>
>> I'd LOVE to see it again.
>>
>> I particularly remember the scene where some of the main characters
>> are in a car approaching (or just leaving) a toll bridge and moan that
>> "The English get their estuary crossings free".
>>
>> Since one of the writers was Douglas Hurd, that must have been put in
>> in order to demonstrate the bias of the character, since the truth is
>> exactly the opposite way round, as any Bristolian, Welshman,
>> Tynesider, Merseysider, Humbersider or Kent/Essex resident will
>> immediately recognise.
>
> It was true at the time. Bridge tolls on the Forth and Tay road bridges
> were not abolished until February 2008.
>
> By the SNP government.

It was certainly NOT true at the time.

There were then tolls on the Tyne Tunnel, Severn Bridge(s), Mersey
Tunnels, Humber Bridge and Dartford Tunnel (now supplemented with a
bridge). And since then, tolls have been placed on the Runcorn-Widnes
Bridge(s) in Cheshire (though there were none in 1979).

All those tolls remain in place.

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ukdd8r$208ha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42624&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42624

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 19:47:39 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 19:47 UTC

On 01/12/2023 14:00, charles wrote:
> I think it was Loch Garry, but it was 50 years ago!

IMDB says Loch Garry but I suspect that was entered by someone not
familiar with the geography around there.

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<5b0c256ee3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42629&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42629

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 23 22:30:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: charles - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:30 UTC

In article <ukdd8r$208ha$1@dont-email.me>,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 14:00, charles wrote:
> > I think it was Loch Garry, but it was 50 years ago!

> IMDB says Loch Garry but I suspect that was entered by someone not
> familiar with the geography around there.

I looked at the map and I'm sure it was Loch Garry where they had the
"blown up" bridge. Trouble is that in the last 50 years the view from the
road is now filled with trees (as seen on Google Maps).

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ukf09o$2anue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42630&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42630

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:18:33 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:18 UTC

On 01/12/2023 10:45, charles wrote:
> I can remember driving on a highland road (A87) and seeing where the bridge
> got blown up. I knew it wasn't where the script said it was,

Just reading HeavyWhalley's MRT blog about his first trip out with the
MRT, to Skye.

1972
This wagon also towed a trailer full of petrol for use in emergencies,
no such thing as Agency cards and few Garages. The journey was all in
the dark this was full on winter early February It was pitch dark in the
back of the wagon.

Reminded me of when I first used to go to Skriaig, first thing you did
on arriving in Portree was fill up the Land Rover because you needed a
full tank to get home and the filling station might be closed if you
needed to leave late in the day.

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<5b0c6a4c33charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42631&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42631

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 23 11:00:03 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:00 UTC

In article <ukf09o$2anue$1@dont-email.me>,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 10:45, charles wrote:
> > I can remember driving on a highland road (A87) and seeing where the
> > bridge got blown up. I knew it wasn't where the script said it was,

> Just reading HeavyWhalley's MRT blog about his first trip out with the
> MRT, to Skye.

> 1972
> This wagon also towed a trailer full of petrol for use in emergencies,
> no such thing as Agency cards and few Garages. The journey was all in
> the dark this was full on winter early February It was pitch dark in the
> back of the wagon.

> Reminded me of when I first used to go to Skriaig, first thing you did
> on arriving in Portree was fill up the Land Rover because you needed a
> full tank to get home and the filling station might be closed if you
> needed to leave late in the day.

but the Kyle ferry would still be running?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<ukf5nt$2bhob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42632&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42632

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:51:26 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:51 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:00, charles wrote:
>> Reminded me of when I first used to go to Skriaig, first thing you did
>> on arriving in Portree was fill up the Land Rover because you needed a
>> full tank to get home and the filling station might be closed if you
>> needed to leave late in the day.
> but the Kyle ferry would still be running?

I think they stayed open into the evening but the filling station in
Portree only opened for an hour so at lunchtime on a Sunday.

The Land Rover did not have the range for a return journey, almost as
bad as a Battery Vehicle!

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<sglmmip6ppcjctosadg6fukbqg6hcolhf1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42634&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42634

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:09:17 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:09 UTC

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:20:31 +0000, JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> Since one of the writers was Douglas Hurd, that must have been put in
>>> in order to demonstrate the bias of the character, since the truth is
>>> exactly the opposite way round, as any Bristolian, Welshman,
>>> Tynesider, Merseysider, Humbersider or Kent/Essex resident will
>>> immediately recognise.
>>
>> It was true at the time. Bridge tolls on the Forth and Tay road bridges
>> were not abolished until February 2008.
>>
>> By the SNP government.
>
>It was certainly NOT true at the time.
>
>There were then tolls on the Tyne Tunnel, Severn Bridge(s), Mersey
>Tunnels, Humber Bridge and Dartford Tunnel (now supplemented with a
>bridge). And since then, tolls have been placed on the Runcorn-Widnes
>Bridge(s) in Cheshire (though there were none in 1979).
>
>All those tolls remain in place.

Severn Crossing tolls ended 2018

Re: Scotch on the Rocks: The TV drama locked away for 50 years

<kt28gtF8ih3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42635&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42635

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 02:46:53 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 02:46 UTC

On 02/12/2023 04:09 pm, Peter Johnson wrote:

>>> It was true at the time. Bridge tolls on the Forth and Tay road bridges
>>> were not abolished until February 2008.
>>>
>>> By the SNP government.
>>
>> It was certainly NOT true at the time.
>>
>> There were then tolls on the Tyne Tunnel, Severn Bridge(s), Mersey
>> Tunnels, Humber Bridge and Dartford Tunnel (now supplemented with a
>> bridge). And since then, tolls have been placed on the Runcorn-Widnes
>> Bridge(s) in Cheshire (though there were none in 1979).
>>
>> All those tolls remain in place.
>
> Severn Crossing tolls ended 2018

True. But they were definitely in place as at the date of script writing
for that TV serial.

I actually got a free return crossing on a trip to and from Barry in
early 2020.

How about the Tyne Tunnel, Mersey Tunnels, Humber Bridge and Dartford
Crossing?

Oh, and the Tamar Bridge at Saltash?

And Khan now plans to start charging for the Blackwall Tunnels!