"Your attitude determines your attitude." -- Zig Ziglar, self-improvement doofus

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Is there a lift on?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a lift on?Vir Campestris
+* Re: Is there a lift on?tony sayer
|`* Re: Is there a lift on?wrightsaerials@aol.com
| `* Re: Is there a lift on?NY
|  +* Re: Is there a lift on?Davey
|  |`- Re: Is there a lift on?alan_m
|  `* Re: Is there a lift on?Scott
|   `- Re: Is there a lift on?Vir Campestris
+* Re: Is there a lift on?Scott
|+* Re: Is there a lift on?Woody
||`- Re: Is there a lift on?Scott
|`* Re: Is there a lift on?Brian Gaff
| `* Re: Is there a lift on?Scott
|  `* Re: Is there a lift on?Vir Campestris
|   `* Re: Is there a lift on?Robin
|    `* Re: Is there a lift on?Max Demian
|     `* Re: Is there a lift on?Robin
|      `- Re: Is there a lift on?Vir Campestris
+- Re: Is there a lift on?NY
`- Re: Is there a lift on?Brian Gaff

1
Is there a lift on?

<uk0bum$3dfdk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42565&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42565

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Is there a lift on?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:05:26 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:05 UTC

All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.

Or is it just us?

Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,

Andy

Re: Is there a lift on?

<azSFinETs8YlFwuf@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42566&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42566

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Is there a lift on?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 22:47:47 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 22:47 UTC

In article <uk0bum$3dfdk$1@dont-email.me>, Vir Campestris <vir.campestri
s@invalid.invalid> scribeth thus
>All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
>evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>
>Or is it just us?
>
>Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,
>
>Andy

Https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

Doesn't seem so?...
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Is there a lift on?

<bf71a923-d054-41af-92ec-986834375903n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42567&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42567

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:52:22 -0800 (PST)
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 01:52 UTC

I don't know but the Northern Lights are visible from here most nights at the moment.

Bill

Re: Is there a lift on?

<v8t8mide3fags9ahsdjtnq5c7osboc8l62@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42568&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42568

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:56:01 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:56 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:05:26 +0000, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
>evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>
>Or is it just us?
>
>Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,

I was with my friend south of Glasgow at the weekend (Blackhill
transmitter). Several times the picture disappeared for a second or
two then returned - no pixellation - just straight to a blank screen.
We wondered if something odd was going on.

Re: Is there a lift on?

<TlWdnW2sLddztvj4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42570&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42570

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:53:17 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: NY - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:53 UTC

On 27/11/2023 01:52, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> I don't know but the Northern Lights are visible from here most nights at the moment.

You can actually *see* the Northern Lights, can you? Every time I get a
red alert from my aurora app on my phone, it's:

- during daylight
- during a full moon
- during a period of dense cloud and/or rain

I am determined to see the northern lights some time before I die - but
I'm not holding my breath. My wife saw very intense northern lights from
as far south as Oxfordshire back in the 1990s (before I knew her) and
has seen them several times since then when driving to and from work in
the winter when it gets dark early enough. But I've never yet seen
anything, even when the app says "should be visible with the naked eye
in Scotland and Northern England". And that's after waiting maybe 15
minutes so my eyes get accustomed to the dark. No doubt if I set up a
camera and gave a nice long exposure I could record decent pictures, but
it would be nice to see them with the naked eye, since so many other
people say they have seen them.

I'm a few miles inland of Bridlington, so slightly further north than
you. I wonder if being close to the coast means that weather systems
make it less likely that strong colours are visible than further inland.

Re: Is there a lift on?

<96WdnR6Q3KD8svj4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42571&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42571

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:08:00 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: NY - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:08 UTC

On 26/11/2023 21:05, Vir Campestris wrote:
> All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
> evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>
> Or is it just us?
>
> Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,

I am about 60 miles from Belmont and there is a ridge of land about 1/2
mile from our house which blocks about half the beam (according to the
graphs on JavaJive's reception-prediction site when it used to work) -
that's the only obstruction.

At times of severe lift, we can occasionally find that Crystal Palace
stomps on Belmont's signal (they use the same frequencies, though not
necessarily for the same muxes) enough to cause reception problems.

But I've not noticed any problems over the past few days. Mux PSB3 (the
HD mux) is still about the same signal strength and SNR as normal, and
reception of (for example) BBC One HD is still glitch-free when I just
checked now.

Re: Is there a lift on?

<uk3cod$3vfum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42572&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42572

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:37:33 +0000
 by: Davey - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:37 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:53:17 +0000
NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 27/11/2023 01:52, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> > I don't know but the Northern Lights are visible from here most
> > nights at the moment.
>
> You can actually *see* the Northern Lights, can you? Every time I get
> a red alert from my aurora app on my phone, it's:
>
> - during daylight
> - during a full moon
> - during a period of dense cloud and/or rain
>
> I am determined to see the northern lights some time before I die -
> but I'm not holding my breath.

snip

My wife and I were on holiday in Alaska (we lived in the US for many
years), and from Fairbanks, we took a tourist flight to a pumping
station on the Alaska Pipeline, north of the Arctic Circle. There, we
boarded a minibus, and rode down the Dalton Highway (think: "Ice Road
Truckers") back to Fairbanks. This was in September, and the driver said
that they always got good Auroro Borealis sightings, and as this was
the year after the Mount Pinatubo eruption, they were even better than
normal. He was not kidding. They went on for hour after hour, to the
point where we all got bored watching them, hard to believe though it
is. We eventually got back to Fairbanks at about 1 am, and the
spectacle was still going on as we drove back to our hotel.
My brother saw them from above the Arctic Circle somewhere in
Scandinavia many years ago, but I doubt they were as good as what we
saw.
An extra item from that Alaska trip. We stopped at a roadhouse where the
road crossed the Yukon River, then got on a boat that took us upriver
to a native salmon-fishing camp. On the return trip, I asked the pilot
of the boat, which was about 20 feet long, and had room for us to sit
at a table, what engine he had, as the boat seemed to just cruise along
at a good rate without any effort at all. He replied that it had three
454 Mercruiser engines, which I later found to have about 365 hp each.
Apparently the boat was sponsored by the Alaska Tourism Board, or some
such body, which helped tourism in the State by assisting with equipment
purchase. The State has (had?) reverse income tax, it made so much money
from the oil that it paid its residents.
If only....

--
Davey.

Re: Is there a lift on?

<uk45pc$6i1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42573&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42573

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:44:42 +0000
 by: Woody - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:44 UTC

On Mon 27/11/2023 10:56, Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:05:26 +0000, Vir Campestris
> <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
>> evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>>
>> Or is it just us?
>>
>> Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,
>>
> I was with my friend south of Glasgow at the weekend (Blackhill
> transmitter). Several times the picture disappeared for a second or
> two then returned - no pixellation - just straight to a blank screen.
> We wondered if something odd was going on.

You were not the only one - we lost Emley as well 0 for about 2 minutes.
It was Com4 - we were watching GBNews at the time. TalkTV on Com5 was
still going so we can only assume it was a source/distribution issue?

Re: Is there a lift on?

<06ebmihnk43a75gkl8jrs8rn463q045mut@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42574&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42574

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:56:43 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:56 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:53:17 +0000, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 27/11/2023 01:52, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
>> I don't know but the Northern Lights are visible from here most nights at the moment.
>
>You can actually *see* the Northern Lights, can you? Every time I get a
>red alert from my aurora app on my phone, it's:
>
>- during daylight
>- during a full moon
>- during a period of dense cloud and/or rain
>
>I am determined to see the northern lights some time before I die - but
>I'm not holding my breath. My wife saw very intense northern lights from
>as far south as Oxfordshire back in the 1990s (before I knew her) and
>has seen them several times since then when driving to and from work in
>the winter when it gets dark early enough. But I've never yet seen
>anything, even when the app says "should be visible with the naked eye
>in Scotland and Northern England". And that's after waiting maybe 15
>minutes so my eyes get accustomed to the dark. No doubt if I set up a
>camera and gave a nice long exposure I could record decent pictures, but
>it would be nice to see them with the naked eye, since so many other
>people say they have seen them.
>
>I'm a few miles inland of Bridlington, so slightly further north than
>you. I wonder if being close to the coast means that weather systems
>make it less likely that strong colours are visible than further inland.

If you are determined, I would suggest a trip to Nordkapp (North Cape
in Norway). I went there in the summer which was enthralling and I
have always wanted to return to experience the other side of the coin.
Realistically, I think you would need to do some serious research
first.

Re: Is there a lift on?

<uk4gpc$8978$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42575&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42575

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:52:28 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:52 UTC

On 28/11/2023 09:56, Scott wrote:
> If you are determined, I would suggest a trip to Nordkapp (North Cape
> in Norway). I went there in the summer which was enthralling and I
> have always wanted to return to experience the other side of the coin.
> Realistically, I think you would need to do some serious research
> first.

I have seen them - but never from the surface. My job has taken me to
West Coast USA many times, and the Great Circle route to San Francisco
goes over souther Greenland (other airports are available. DAMHIK...)

In other news whatever was ****ing up the signal has gone away again.

Andy

Re: Is there a lift on?

<j2femipqbf1kducj28te7qe1h1p9f2d9op@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42580&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42580

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:30:01 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:30 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:44:42 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Mon 27/11/2023 10:56, Scott wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:05:26 +0000, Vir Campestris
>> <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
>>> evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>>>
>>> Or is it just us?
>>>
>>> Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,
>>>
>> I was with my friend south of Glasgow at the weekend (Blackhill
>> transmitter). Several times the picture disappeared for a second or
>> two then returned - no pixellation - just straight to a blank screen.
>> We wondered if something odd was going on.
>
>You were not the only one - we lost Emley as well 0 for about 2 minutes.
>It was Com4 - we were watching GBNews at the time. TalkTV on Com5 was
>still going so we can only assume it was a source/distribution issue?

My friend had a brief blackout last night (Tuesday). It was either
More4 or Channel 5. Is this a wider distribution issue?

Re: Is there a lift on?

<uk9u5l$1boeq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42597&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42597

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:11:30 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:11 UTC

There have been quite a few in the last month or so. Often they are
localised and due to mist and fog causing a temperature inversion for over
the horizon propagation.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this evening.
> The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>
> Or is it just us?
>
> Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,
>
> Andy

Re: Is there a lift on?

<uk9ucr$1bpfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42598&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42598

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:15:20 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:15 UTC

There have been some energetic Auroras recently. a lot of scatter has been
noted on vhf and uhf, so I guess that a co channel from almost anywhere
could disrupt reception if you are looking almost north from your location.
Brian

--

--:
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:05:26 +0000, Vir Campestris
> <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>All the HD channels (101... ) seem to be horribly broken up this
>>evening. The SD ones (1... ) are OK.
>>
>>Or is it just us?
>>
>>Looking at Sandy Heath from the other side of Cambridge,
>>
> I was with my friend south of Glasgow at the weekend (Blackhill
> transmitter). Several times the picture disappeared for a second or
> two then returned - no pixellation - just straight to a blank screen.
> We wondered if something odd was going on.

Re: Is there a lift on?

<9j1hmipbm14jsii88f7bfs7garpe9jbuvm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42602&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42602

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:56:54 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:56 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:15:20 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>There have been some energetic Auroras recently. a lot of scatter has been
>noted on vhf and uhf, so I guess that a co channel from almost anywhere
>could disrupt reception if you are looking almost north from your location.
>Brian

But why does the screen go blank rather than pixellating, which is the
usual manifestation of trouble?

Re: Is there a lift on?

<ukae1a$1e5ak$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42611&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42611

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:42:18 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:42 UTC

OP here.

I'm beginning to get a nasty suspicion it's my Hummy. And a lot of the
stuff on there is our only copy which I haven't backed up :(

Andy

Re: Is there a lift on?

<ca0c49a5-3e9b-4176-9760-e71ca049322c@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42612&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42612

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:47:06 +0000
 by: Robin - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:47 UTC

On 30/11/2023 16:42, Vir Campestris wrote:
> OP here.
>
> I'm beginning to get a nasty suspicion it's my Hummy. And a lot of the
> stuff on there is our only copy which I haven't backed up :(

I may be misunderstanding what's afoot but do you get the problem when
watching live broadcasts via the Hummy? If so, have you been able to
check if you get the same problem with an aerial feed direct to the TV's
tuner (assuming that has a tuner)?

I ask as I did just wonder if the issue might be with the Hummy's
pass-through (which might mean your recordings will still play OK).

--
Robin

Re: Is there a lift on?

<ukcjtj$1s68u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42620&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42620

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:35:01 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:35 UTC

On 30/11/2023 21:47, Robin wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 16:42, Vir Campestris wrote:
>> OP here.
>>
>> I'm beginning to get a nasty suspicion it's my Hummy. And a lot of the
>> stuff on there is our only copy which I haven't backed up :(

> I may be misunderstanding what's afoot but do you get the problem when
> watching live broadcasts via the Hummy? If so, have you been able to
> check if you get the same problem with an aerial feed direct to the TV's
> tuner (assuming that has a tuner)?
>
> I ask as I did just wonder if the issue might be with the Hummy's
> pass-through (which might mean your recordings will still play OK).

There's a tendency to assume a poster has done such elementary checks.

--
Max Demian

Re: Is there a lift on?

<479adebf-9bf5-4289-a8dc-079345d0d04c@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42628&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42628

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:46:10 +0000
 by: Robin - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:46 UTC

On 01/12/2023 12:35, Max Demian wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 21:47, Robin wrote:
>> On 30/11/2023 16:42, Vir Campestris wrote:
>>> OP here.
>>>
>>> I'm beginning to get a nasty suspicion it's my Hummy. And a lot of
>>> the stuff on there is our only copy which I haven't backed up :(
>
>> I may be misunderstanding what's afoot but do you get the problem when
>> watching live broadcasts via the Hummy? If so, have you been able to
>> check if you get the same problem with an aerial feed direct to the
>> TV's tuner (assuming that has a tuner)?
>>
>> I ask as I did just wonder if the issue might be with the Hummy's
>> pass-through (which might mean your recordings will still play OK).
>
> There's a tendency to assume a poster has done such elementary checks.

I beg Andy's pardon for the implication that he might be as elementary
as me.

--
Robin

Re: Is there a lift on?

<kt6stjFgcmmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42666&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42666

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:59:32 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:59 UTC

On 28/11/2023 00:37, Davey wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:53:17 +0000
> NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> I am determined to see the northern lights some time before I die -
>> but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> snip
>

> My wife and I were on holiday in Alaska
> They went on for hour after hour, to the
> point where we all got bored watching them,

snip

Friends of mine went on an expensive "Northern Lights" cruise - they
didn't see them, and it wasn't because they paid for the drinks package
and the bar was open :)

Re: Is there a lift on?

<ukpmm2$o15s$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42687&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42687

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 11:41:54 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 11:41 UTC

On 01/12/2023 21:46, Robin wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 12:35, Max Demian wrote:

>>> I may be misunderstanding what's afoot but do you get the problem
>>> when watching live broadcasts via the Hummy? If so, have you been
>>> able to check if you get the same problem with an aerial feed direct
>>> to the TV's tuner (assuming that has a tuner)?
>>>
>>> I ask as I did just wonder if the issue might be with the Hummy's
>>> pass-through (which might mean your recordings will still play OK).
>>
>> There's a tendency to assume a poster has done such elementary checks.
>>

> I beg Andy's pardon for the implication that he might be as elementary
> as me.

Apology not needed. There are a lot of idiots out there.

We almost never watch live TV, however a lot of the things we watch are
parts of series being broadcast at the moment. The most obvious one
being the 6 o'clock news which we watch after eating - perhaps an hour
later.

The Hummy plays back to the TV over HDMI.

We've had a few cases where the programme fails to play back, or drops
out part way through. I had thought that it was failing to record
correctly, but have now realised that it is not consistent - a few
programs won't play one day, but will the next. Or vice versa.

Andy