From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: get_iplayer change
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:10:48 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:10 UTC

It used to be that my normal get-iplayer instruction template included
the instruction "--no-purge", I couldn't even find any 'man
get_iplayer' help. Is it not needed any more, and if not, why not? I've
tried looking through the Release Notes, but I can't find a mention of
it. It may be that I need to look further back, of course.

Now using the latest version, 3.34.

--
Davey.

Re: get_iplayer change

<1cj65kxpt4.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42824&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42824

From: news20k.noreply@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: get_iplayer change
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:32:49 +0000
Sender: Paul Kinsler <kinsler@silence.kinsler.org>
 by: #Paul - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:32 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> It used to be that my normal get-iplayer instruction template included
> the instruction "--no-purge", I couldn't even find any 'man
> get_iplayer' help. Is it not needed any more, and if not, why not? I've
> tried looking through the Release Notes, but I can't find a mention of
> it. It may be that I need to look further back, of course.
>
> Now using the latest version, 3.34.

From the changelog for 3.32:

The --no-purge and --trim-history options may no longer be entered on the command line. Any associated entries remaining in settings, presets, or PVR searches are already ignored and will now generate a non-fatal warning in verbose mode.

I guess that means it will now always purge (although I haven't noticed
it doing so)...

#Paul

Re: get_iplayer change

<ulrkg4$3v9te$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42825&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42825

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 08:33:08 +0000
 by: Davey - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 08:33 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:32:49 +0000
news20k.noreply@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul) wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > It used to be that my normal get-iplayer instruction template
> > included the instruction "--no-purge", I couldn't even find any 'man
> > get_iplayer' help. Is it not needed any more, and if not, why not?
> > I've tried looking through the Release Notes, but I can't find a
> > mention of it. It may be that I need to look further back, of
> > course.
> >
> > Now using the latest version, 3.34.
> >

> From the changelog for 3.32:
>
> The --no-purge and --trim-history options may no longer be entered on
> the command line. Any associated entries remaining in settings,
> presets, or PVR searches are already ignored and will now generate a
> non-fatal warning in verbose mode.
>

> I guess that means it will now always purge (although I haven't
> noticed it doing so)...
>
> #Paul

Thanks. It used to not be a problem, and so I was probably using a
version earlier than 3.32 until my last update, I wasn't looking back
that far in the changelogs. But that is indeed cryptic, in not
explaining what does, or does not, now happen, and why. The next time I
download something, I might try an experiment to test what happens on an
existing recording.
At the moment, it's a bit murky.
I will report any findings.

--