Where the system is concerned, you're not allowed to ask "Why?".

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

SubjectAuthor
* BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxChris Green
+- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxJNugent
+* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxJava Jive
|+* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxDavey
||`- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxChris Green
|`* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxChris Green
| +* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxChris Green
| |`- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxDavid Wade
| +* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxJava Jive
| |`- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxChris Green
| `* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxJNugent
|  `* Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxJeff Layman
|   `- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxNY
+- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxVir Campestris
+- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxSid
`- Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView boxBrian Gaff

1
BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<6e2j6k-a9ek1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42877&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42877

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:19:50 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:19 UTC

Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
not currently available on this device, please try later".

I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
retuned the Humax.

Is there anything else to try?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<kvo55gFcd14U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42878&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42878

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:37:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:37 UTC

On 04/01/2024 04:19 pm, Chris Green wrote:

> Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
> our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
> not currently available on this device, please try later".
>
> I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
> retuned the Humax.
>
> Is there anything else to try?

I had the same problem (a few years ago) with a Sony Blu-Ray player
which had supported Amazon Prime, but no longer.

Sony had decided not to support the application any more and that was
that. Today, the unit is of any use only for playing CDs, DVDs and
Blu-Ray discs.

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<un6oed$3nlsn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42879&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42879

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:04:15 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:04 UTC

On 04/01/2024 16:19, Chris Green wrote:

> Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
> our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
> not currently available on this device, please try later".
>
> I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
> retuned the Humax.
>
> Is there anything else to try?

Yes, a PC. In response to your post, I've just set my daily download
going a little earlier than usual as a test to see if anything has
changed, and seemingly nothing has - it appears to be downloading fine
as normal.

This suggests:

Either your Humax has a connectivity problem and is unable to access the
internet;

Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a way
that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been actually
discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC end.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<un6pgl$3nl9e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42880&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42880

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView
box
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:22:29 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:22 UTC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:04:15 +0000
Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

> Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a
> way that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been
> actually discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC
> end.

This. Older Humaxes ceased to play iPlayer some time ago, after one
of the BBC's 'upgrades'.

One solution is to keep your existing Humax, but to also buy a modern
one as well, that is set up for all the streaming services.

--
Davey.

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<f57j6k-nlnk1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42881&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42881

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:40:31 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:40 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:04:15 +0000
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a
> > way that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been
> > actually discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC
> > end.
>
> This. Older Humaxes ceased to play iPlayer some time ago, after one
> of the BBC's 'upgrades'.

How old is 'older'?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<337j6k-nlnk1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42882&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42882

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:39:15 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:39 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 04/01/2024 16:19, Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
> > our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
> > not currently available on this device, please try later".
> >
> > I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
> > retuned the Humax.
> >
> > Is there anything else to try?
>
> Yes, a PC. In response to your post, I've just set my daily download
> going a little earlier than usual as a test to see if anything has
> changed, and seemingly nothing has - it appears to be downloading fine
> as normal.

What do you use on the PC to read iPlayer? Just a browser?

> This suggests:
>
> Either your Humax has a connectivity problem and is unable to access the
> internet;

I don't think it's this, I have checked connections and the Humux
thinks it can see the internet and I can ping it from other systems on
my LAN.

> Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a way
> that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been actually
> discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC end.

Possible, but I would have thought a lot of people would be screaming
loudly about this if it was true, it's bog-standard FreeView box and
I'm sure there's many of them in use (millions even) still.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<au7j6k-1ppk1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42883&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42883

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:53:46 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:53 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
[snip]

> > Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a way
> > that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been actually
> > discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC end.
> >
> Possible, but I would have thought a lot of people would be screaming
> loudly about this if it was true, it's bog-standard FreeView box and
> I'm sure there's many of them in use (millions even) still.

But you're right! See;-

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/bbc-iplayer-discontinued-humax-freeview-box/

.... as from November last year (shows how much we use iPlayer!).

The box in question is an HDR-2000T.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<un723s$3p5b9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42884&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42884

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:49:19 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:49 UTC

On 04/01/2024 17:39, Chris Green wrote:

> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/01/2024 16:19, Chris Green wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
>>> our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
>>> not currently available on this device, please try later".
>>>
>>> I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
>>> retuned the Humax.
>>>
>>> Is there anything else to try?
>>
>> Yes, a PC. In response to your post, I've just set my daily download
>> going a little earlier than usual as a test to see if anything has
>> changed, and seemingly nothing has - it appears to be downloading fine
>> as normal.
>
> What do you use on the PC to read iPlayer? Just a browser?

You can view iPlayer content in a browser. You have to be signed into
the BBC site to be able to do so.

You used to be able, and possibly still can, install bespoke BBC iPlayer
software on a Windows PC - ISTR there was something of a fuss because
Linux OSs were not supported - but I found this didn't work very well
because:

- It didn't let you set where the downloads should be stored, which is
a problem for people like me who, having a great deal of experience in
supporting PC environments, know that it is usually a good idea to keep
your data separate from your OS, as this is a more flexible arrangement
for backing up and restoring both your data and your OS. However,
iPlayer always stored the stuff in your user profile, so the only way of
getting it to store the downloads on a separate data partition would
have been to move your entire profile there, which actually is not the
best way of doing it for other reasons too obscure to go into here.
Hence I kept finding iPlayer bringing my PC to its knees as it filled up
the system partition with downloads which I really wanted to have been
stored on the data partition.

- No matter how crap your internet connection, it would attempt to
download an entire queue simultaneously at once, thus ensuring that all
would fail. This meant you couldn't set a whole load of stuff to
download overnight, and then watch them next day, but rather instead
would have to set a single download going at a time, wait for that to
finish, set up the next one, etc, etc - a maddeningly inconvenient
obstacle course of a work around for problem so easily avoidable that
never should have existed in the first place.

- It used to delete stuff after 30 days even if you hadn't had time to
watch it because you'd been away on holiday, etc.

- The downloads were encrypted, which caused me some problems I can't
remember details about now, but IIRC were something to do with a PC
going down and needing a new HD, but I couldn't find a way of copy the
iPlayer part of my User Profile across to the new disk in such a way
that it recognised the old downloads, which I had to junk without having
the chance to watch them.

So I installed GetIPlayer, and now have been using it for a decade or
nearly so, relatively hassle free except for the need to update it
periodically:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<77ij6k-v8cl1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42885&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42885

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 20:49:11 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 20:49 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
[snip]

> So I installed GetIPlayer, and now have been using it for a decade or
> nearly so, relatively hassle free except for the need to update it
> periodically:
>
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

That looks rather useful, I prefer doing everything from the command
line so it would suit me OK. Thank you.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<un77th$3pnag$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42886&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42886

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:28:17 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:28 UTC

On 04/01/2024 16:19, Chris Green wrote:
> Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
> our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
> not currently available on this device, please try later".
>
> I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
> retuned the Humax.
>
> Is there anything else to try?

Buy a streaming stick with iPlayer support.

<https://groceries.asda.com/product/media-boxes-dvd-players/roku-express-streaming-player/1000188501954>

is the first one I found. Thirty pounds.

Andy

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<kvq8h2Fo8bmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42887&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42887

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:46:42 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:46 UTC

On 04/01/2024 05:39 pm, Chris Green wrote:
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>> On 04/01/2024 16:19, Chris Green wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone else got this problem? We can no longer get BBC iPlayer on
>>> our Humax FreeView box, t just gives a message something like "This is
>>> not currently available on this device, please try later".
>>>
>>> I've done the obvious checks like the internet connection and have
>>> retuned the Humax.
>>>
>>> Is there anything else to try?
>>
>> Yes, a PC. In response to your post, I've just set my daily download
>> going a little earlier than usual as a test to see if anything has
>> changed, and seemingly nothing has - it appears to be downloading fine
>> as normal.
>>
> What do you use on the PC to read iPlayer? Just a browser?
>
>> This suggests:
>>
>> Either your Humax has a connectivity problem and is unable to access the
>> internet;
>>
> I don't think it's this, I have checked connections and the Humux
> thinks it can see the internet and I can ping it from other systems on
> my LAN.

>> Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a way
>> that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been actually
>> discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC end.
>>
> Possible, but I would have thought a lot of people would be screaming
> loudly about this if it was true, it's bog-standard FreeView box and
> I'm sure there's many of them in use (millions even) still.

A recurring theme over the last few years has been the continuing
withdrawal from the market of any means of creating a hard copy (eg,
DVD-R) of material received over anything other than Freeview.

Does your Humax box have a standard analogue-out (in the form of SCART
or the red/white/yellow RCA jacks)? If so, that would seem to be part of
what is gradually being phased out for reception of streamed material.

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<un90kb$5jjm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42888&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42888

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:36:11 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:36 UTC

On 05/01/2024 11:46, JNugent wrote:
> On 04/01/2024 05:39 pm, Chris Green wrote:
>> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yes, a PC. In response to your post, I've just set my daily download
>>> going a little earlier than usual as a test to see if anything has
>>> changed, and seemingly nothing has - it appears to be downloading fine
>>> as normal.
>>>
>> What do you use on the PC to read iPlayer? Just a browser?
>>
>>> This suggests:
>>>
>>> Either your Humax has a connectivity problem and is unable to access the
>>> internet;
>>>
>> I don't think it's this, I have checked connections and the Humux
>> thinks it can see the internet and I can ping it from other systems on
>> my LAN.
>
>>> Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a way
>>> that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been actually
>>> discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC end.
>>>
>> Possible, but I would have thought a lot of people would be screaming
>> loudly about this if it was true, it's bog-standard FreeView box and
>> I'm sure there's many of them in use (millions even) still.
>
> A recurring theme over the last few years has been the continuing
> withdrawal from the market of any means of creating a hard copy (eg,
> DVD-R) of material received over anything other than Freeview.

This reply in a longish thread early last year explains it pretty clearly:
<https://www.avforums.com/threads/uk-record-all4.2446744/#post-31106555>
(The whole thread is worth reading)

Here's a much more recent thread:
<https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-record-freeview-channels-that-require-a-data-connection.2476783/>
I doubt the Manhattan T4 will help do what you want - if it ever arrives!

--

Jeff

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<un950h$6ejr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42889&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42889

From: you@prayer.io (Sid)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:50:56 -0000
 by: Sid - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:50 UTC

I used to get this message on a browser when DRM was switched off.

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<SpecnTq814vgqwX4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42890&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42890

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:03:56 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: NY - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:03 UTC

On 05/01/2024 13:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 05/01/2024 11:46, JNugent wrote:
>> A recurring theme over the last few years has been the continuing
>> withdrawal from the market of any means of creating a hard copy (eg,
>> DVD-R) of material received over anything other than Freeview.

My rather nerdy setup can still record SD and HD on both Freeview and
satellite. I only record MP2 or H264 TS files to hard disc, but I could
burn to DVD if I wanted.

But my setup is home-grown: DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 USB tuners connected to
Raspberry P running TVHeadend software.

I like being able to have my own recordings, not only to be able to keep
them, but also to be able to edit out adverts using VideoRedo and to
play them at any speed in VLC - documentaries are often understandable
at up to 1.6x normal speed and drama often to 1.3x. Watching a programme
in less than real time can be useful!

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<unbi2i$jfkc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42893&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42893

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:46:10 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:46 UTC

On 04/01/2024 17:53, Chris Green wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>>> Or your Humax is using outdated software that accesses iPlayer in a way
>>> that was deprecated some time ago, but has only just been actually
>>> discontinued in terms of having its plug pulled at the BBC end.
>>>
>> Possible, but I would have thought a lot of people would be screaming
>> loudly about this if it was true, it's bog-standard FreeView box and
>> I'm sure there's many of them in use (millions even) still.
>>
> But you're right! See;-
>
> https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/bbc-iplayer-discontinued-humax-freeview-box/
>
> ... as from November last year (shows how much we use iPlayer!).
>
> The box in question is an HDR-2000T.

I have a BT badged DTR-T2110 which still seems to work fine and has
SCART out. It just seems to have updated the ITV app to ITV-X so I
expect it will last a little longer.

Apparently its the same box as the DTR-T2100 just different packaging,
aboyt £135 on e-bay.

Dave

Re: BBC Iplayer "No longer available on this device" on FreeView box

<unrcn5$3fa9u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42898&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42898

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:52:51 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:52 UTC

These boxes are no longer supported by the latest app, apparently. I know
there has been an update as my Samsung told me it had done it. It is a bit
like everything else these days, they build in the ability to not keep it
up to date. I suppose there is some poor programmer somewhere having to re
write the apps every time there is a change. Some apps just won't support
the AD versions of the files either, which is just damn stupid these days.
Look at what happens with Android mobiles, about 4 years and you cannot get
the new version and are frozen in time.
Brian

--

--: