"I'd love to go out with you, but I have to stay home and see if I snore."

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Sound of Music picture quality

SubjectAuthor
* Sound of Music picture qualityTweed
+* Re: Sound of Music picture qualityMark Carver
|+- Re: Sound of Music picture qualityTweed
|`* Re: Sound of Music picture qualityRobin
| `* Re: Sound of Music picture qualityTweed
|  +* Re: Sound of Music picture qualityMark Carver
|  |`* Re: Sound of Music picture qualityAndy Burns
|  | +- Re: Sound of Music picture qualityMark Carver
|  | `- Re: Sound of Music picture qualityBrian Gregory
|  `- Re: Sound of Music picture qualityRobin
`- Re: Sound of Music picture qualityBrian Gaff

1
Sound of Music picture quality

<um9mb6$2kpaa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42863&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42863

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Sound of Music picture quality
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:30:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BwkF4LHC4tiI8xBMsTP+tFXelkg=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:30 UTC

We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<kv0galFrumpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42866&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42866

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Sound of Music picture quality
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 17:20:20 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 17:20 UTC

On 24/12/2023 16:30, Tweed wrote:
> We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
> we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
> the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.

Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
and..... ?

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<umf2sh$3iaup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42867&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42867

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 17:35:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4VZyXoXXMXJiyU5aynUsrxYdjN0=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 17:35 UTC

Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 24/12/2023 16:30, Tweed wrote:
>> We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on and
>> we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
>> the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
>
> Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
> and..... ?

Does offline as opposed to real time compression make a significant
difference? I’m guessing it does.

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<6d5a91ce-13db-4a7f-a25e-49babe48e57d@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42869&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42869

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:39:11 +0000
 by: Robin - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:39 UTC

On 26/12/2023 17:20, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 24/12/2023 16:30, Tweed wrote:
>> We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on
>> and
>> we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
>> the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
>
> Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
> and..... ?

It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.

--
Robin

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<umgota$3s6vd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42870&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42870

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:57:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FEQA6B20xE6WjMO0ullWcHn/VQI=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:57 UTC

Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 26/12/2023 17:20, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 24/12/2023 16:30, Tweed wrote:
>>> We have a standard HD telly, no 4K. Currently The Sound of Music is on
>>> and
>>> we are receiving it via Sky. The picture quality is outstanding, possibly
>>> the best I’ve ever seen on this set. I wonder what is different.
>>
>> Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
>> and..... ?
>
> It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
> extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
> may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.

Just to nit pick, it was on BBC via Sky. Does the BBC still maintain the
policy of equality of picture quality regardless of the transmission
medium, which effectively reduces everything to DTT standards or have
things changed?

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<kv2at9F9aq2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42871&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42871

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:00:08 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:00 UTC

On 27/12/2023 08:57, Tweed wrote:
> Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
>>> and..... ?
>>
>> It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
>> extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
>> may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.
>>

> Just to nit pick, it was on BBC via Sky. Does the BBC still maintain the
> policy of equality of picture quality regardless of the transmission
> medium, which effectively reduces everything to DTT standards or have
> things changed?

The only involvement Sky have on BBC transmissions via their platform,
is EPG and SI inclusion, they have no influence or involvement with the
code and muxing [1]. I don't know what the BBC's current policy is on
neutrality regarding quality, but as always it's not just about bit rates.

[1] EXCEPT BBC 1 HD South region, that is carried on a Sky rented
transponder (12168V) and coded and mux by them

https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Astra-2F_UK_12168-V.html

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<kv2c30F7do2U11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42872&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42872

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:20:16 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:20 UTC

Mark Carver wrote:

> The only involvement Sky have on BBC transmissions via their platform,
> is EPG and SI inclusion, they have no influence or involvement with the
> code and muxing

I thought FreeSat had its own EPG separate from Sky's EPG, but BBC
channels on my (FTA non-freesat) setup always shows BBC channels with
"Publisher: BskyB"

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<c6fa57fb-dd6d-4376-89be-2e48e072b155@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42873&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42873

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:11:23 +0000
 by: Robin - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:11 UTC

On 27/12/2023 08:57, Tweed wrote:
> Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, it's natively on 35mm film isn't it, so run it through a modern TK
>>> and..... ?
>>
>> It was shot in 70mm and a 70mm print was the starting point for the
>> extensive restoration for production of the UHD version for Blu-ray. It
>> may be the difference was that Sky used that rather than an older transfer.
>>

> Just to nit pick, it was on BBC via Sky. Does the BBC still maintain the
> policy of equality of picture quality regardless of the transmission
> medium, which effectively reduces everything to DTT standards or have
> things changed?

It's not a matter of who encoded but what source material they used.
GIGO rules all that is digital.

And if you'd said from the outset it was from the BBC via Sky it would
have been simpler as iPlayer points to: (a) a 70mm version - the credits
include Todd-AO; and (b) the Blu-ray restoration: no fade after the main
credits.

--
Robin

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<kv2sktFcoflU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42874&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42874

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:02:51 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:02 UTC

On 27/12/2023 10:20, Andy Burns wrote:
> Mark Carver wrote:
>
>> The only involvement Sky have on BBC transmissions via their platform,
>> is EPG and SI inclusion, they have no influence or involvement with
>> the code and muxing
>
> I thought FreeSat had its own EPG separate from Sky's EPG, but BBC
> channels on my (FTA non-freesat) setup always shows BBC channels with
> "Publisher: BskyB"

I do know that Sky had to apply various tweaks to their SI, to enable
Freesat's SI to be carried alongside.

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<kvdv60Ff3h7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42875&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42875

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:53:36 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:53 UTC

On 27/12/2023 10:20, Andy Burns wrote:
> I thought FreeSat had its own EPG separate from Sky's EPG, but BBC
> channels on my (FTA non-freesat) setup always shows BBC channels with
> "Publisher: BskyB"

Correct. And clever people have done reverse engineering and made open
source software that can read either one for you.

The software in my cheap Chinese FTA box is currently set to read the
Sky EPG (to get more channels), and seems to struggle with late changes
to the schedule, but it should be possible to do perfectly. Occasionally
I look at the source code to see if I can figure out a way to fix it but
I think it's too complicated for me to figure out enough about how it works.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Sound of Music picture quality

<unrcau$3f8km$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42897&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42897

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:46:20 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:46 UTC

Probably a good master copy being used. I know a lot of movies have been
reasserted recently. I think I last saw it many moons ago on a bet recorder,
which was a bit grainy and smeared. We used to put up with a lot back in the
day, Who remembers all those terrible soot and whitewash copies of Laurel
and Hardy films. If they cannot do it right, why bother?
Now of course I cannot see them, but that is life.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...