Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

SubjectAuthor
* TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Petzl
+* Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Computer Nerd Kev
|`- Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Petzl
`* Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Marco Moock
 `* Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Petzl
  `* Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Marco Moock
   `* Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Petzl
    `* Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Marco Moock
     `- Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?Petzl

1
TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<3p4cvild9dugdnedd3q65ob6tiklbvvl1d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4236&group=aus.computers#4236

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 08:57:56 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:57 UTC

WIN10 64 bit HP computer
Just got up no Internet?
network reset

Came back, then I turn off the spyware IPV6 and guess
No Internet, turn it on I get Internet
https://test-ipv6.com

<https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/legacy_ipv6_addressing_standard_enables/>
https://t.ly/OxDq3
How legacy IPv6 addresses can spoil your network privacy
66 comment bubble on white
One bit of kit using EUI-64 screws up protections – study
--
Petzl
"A lot of what we're (officially) told is not true."

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<65f63af6@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4237&group=aus.computers#4237

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 17 Mar 2024 10:36:07 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 00:36 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
> WIN10 64 bit HP computer
> Just got up no Internet?
> network reset
>
> Came back, then I turn off the spyware IPV6 and guess
> No Internet, turn it on I get Internet
> https://test-ipv6.com

That could easily be something messed up on the computer that's
preventing IPv4 from working, not Telstra. To find out, you'd have
to test other devices connected to your modem while it has IPv6
disabled. That's assuming that you are disabling IPv6 on the
modem/router, rather than on the computer's firewall.

I had the opposite problem last time I tried to enable IPv6 on
Telstra mobile broadband, most times the modem connection would
fail (though it did work once - maybe talking to a different phone
tower?). It only reliably connects with IPv4, but lacking IPv6
hasn't caused me any problems yet.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<vdncvitmfi4qm5ga0aokeeo9m58i4ojh6j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4238&group=aus.computers#4238

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:27:35 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 03:27 UTC

On 17 Mar 2024 10:36:07 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
Kev) wrote:

>Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> WIN10 64 bit HP computer
>> Just got up no Internet?
>> network reset
>>
>> Came back, then I turn off the spyware IPV6 and guess
>> No Internet, turn it on I get Internet
>> https://test-ipv6.com
>
>That could easily be something messed up on the computer that's
>preventing IPv4 from working, not Telstra. To find out, you'd have
>to test other devices connected to your modem while it has IPv6
>disabled. That's assuming that you are disabling IPv6 on the
>modem/router, rather than on the computer's firewall.
>
>I had the opposite problem last time I tried to enable IPv6 on
>Telstra mobile broadband, most times the modem connection would
>fail (though it did work once - maybe talking to a different phone
>tower?). It only reliably connects with IPv4, but lacking IPv6
>hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Thanks
I've had it disabled in Windows from when it first came out.
I also stream TV via Android from Japan which is unaffected
Disabled on WIN10
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
Change Adaptor Settings
WiFi
https://ibb.co/Xt99fgP
picture of network Adaptor with IPV6 in blue

I DNS check
Here
https://browserleaks.com/dns
My VPN (PIA)only uses their IP4 when connected.
Many sites have VPN IP's blocked so I have to then it off and on, as
required.

Having no IPV6 has never ever caused me problems
--
Petzl
"A lot of what we're (offically) told is not true."

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<uugud1$36cll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4270&group=aus.computers#4270

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:41:05 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:41 UTC

On 17.03.2024 um 08:57 Uhr Petzl wrote:

> Came back, then I turn off the spyware IPV6 and guess
> No Internet, turn it on I get Internet
> https://test-ipv6.com

If you fear IPv6, you shouldn't use old-ass IPv4 too, because all the
tracking techniques work there too, except SLAAC with EUI64 which isn't
being used by most operating systems.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1710662276muell@cartoonies.org

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<krmo0jphijevbno15p53s3f6cquhaff9tj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4272&group=aus.computers#4272

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 06:51:46 +1100
 by: Petzl - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:51 UTC

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:41:05 +0200, Marco Moock
<mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

>On 17.03.2024 um 08:57 Uhr Petzl wrote:
>
>> Came back, then I turn off the spyware IPV6 and guess
>> No Internet, turn it on I get Internet
>> https://test-ipv6.com
>
>If you fear IPv6, you shouldn't use old-ass IPv4 too, because all the
>tracking techniques work there too, except SLAAC with EUI64 which isn't
>being used by most operating systems.

Not a matter of fearing it, IPV6 identities one more than whoever's
interested far more than they need to know.
Helps hackers ID you and other nefarious loons.
My VPN does not use IPV6 from their server and back.
IpV6 off has not stopped me using just IPV4 since I turned it off when
Microsoft added it,
now Telstra at least have made it compulsory, that's enough to have me
look elsewhere.

Another thing I don't like is having Java on, it allows all sorts of
rubbish to be hidden in ones computer "PUP's", then you start getting
little annoying pop-up ads which slow down your connections to
websites.

Trouble is turning off java disables most websites.
you find your annoying PUP somewhere here in WIN10.
Up for one to workout
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\browsername\browser Stable\Default
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<uumqkt$pvql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4274&group=aus.computers#4274

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:13:47 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:13 UTC

On 03.04.2024 um 06:51 Uhr Petzl wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:41:05 +0200, Marco Moock
> <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>
> >On 17.03.2024 um 08:57 Uhr Petzl wrote:
> >
> >> Came back, then I turn off the spyware IPV6 and guess
> >> No Internet, turn it on I get Internet
> >> https://test-ipv6.com
> >
> >If you fear IPv6, you shouldn't use old-ass IPv4 too, because all the
> >tracking techniques work there too, except SLAAC with EUI64 which
> >isn't being used by most operating systems.
> >
> Not a matter of fearing it, IPV6 identities one more than whoever's
> interested far more than they need to know.

If you really fear this, you can set up stateful NAT66.

> My VPN does not use IPV6 from their server and back.

Then it is a crappy service. Use one that supports it properly, like
that from ungleich.ch.

> IpV6 off has not stopped me using just IPV4 since I turned it off when
> Microsoft added it,
> now Telstra at least have made it compulsory, that's enough to have me
> look elsewhere.

That is technical evolution. Stay with it.

> Another thing I don't like is having Java on, it allows all sorts of
> rubbish to be hidden in ones computer "PUP's", then you start getting
> little annoying pop-up ads which slow down your connections to
> websites.

Use µMatrix or Noscript to block specific script or only allow those
you really need.

> Trouble is turning off java disables most websites.

Java != JavaScript.
You mean JavaScript.

> you find your annoying PUP somewhere here in WIN10.

Then replace Windows with another operating system.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1712119906muell@cartoonies.org

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<8pst0j5pot41ehlpcn9lsvr65l4g2lbmr3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4275&group=aus.computers#4275

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 05:56:46 +1100
 by: Petzl - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:56 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:13:47 +0200, Marco Moock
<mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

>> >If you fear IPv6, you shouldn't use old-ass IPv4 too, because all the
>> >tracking techniques work there too, except SLAAC with EUI64 which
>> >isn't being used by most operating systems.
>> >
>> Not a matter of fearing it, IPV6 identities one more than whoever's
>> interested far more than they need to know.
>
>If you really fear this, you can set up stateful NAT66.

Easier to boot Telstra?

>> My VPN does not use IPV6 from their server and back.
>
>Then it is a crappy service. Use one that supports it properly, like
>that from ungleich.ch.

If my VPN tries to access a website that runs on IPv6, the VPN
redirects my traffic to an external IPv6 DNS server

>> IpV6 off has not stopped me using just IPV4 since I turned it off when
>> Microsoft added it,
>> now Telstra at least have made it compulsory, that's enough to have me
>> look elsewhere.
>
>That is technical evolution. Stay with it.

It's so far unnecessary spy ware, IPV4 is measurably faster.

>> Another thing I don't like is having Java on, it allows all sorts of
>> rubbish to be hidden in ones computer "PUP's", then you start getting
>> little annoying pop-up ads which slow down your connections to
>> websites.
>
>Use µMatrix or Noscript to block specific script or only allow those
>you really need.

That is a pain but I use "Javascript switch on/off" and whitelist
those websites I trust, redirections and PUP's require Java enabled
<https://www.malwarebytes.com/cybersecurity/basics/what-is-pup>
But found a freeware windows app that removes them
<https://www.superantispyware.com/free-edition.html>
Find Windows defender adequate for others but not adware

>> Trouble is turning off java disables most websites.
>
>Java != JavaScript.
>You mean JavaScript.

Who cares?

>> you find your annoying PUP somewhere here in WIN10.
>
>Then replace Windows with another operating system.

That for me becomes expensive in replacing my Windows app's.
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<uv31t2$4ohp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4292&group=aus.computers#4292

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:31:13 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:31 UTC

On 05.04.2024 um 05:56 Uhr Petzl wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:13:47 +0200, Marco Moock

> >> My VPN does not use IPV6 from their server and back.
> >
> >Then it is a crappy service. Use one that supports it properly, like
> >that from ungleich.ch.
> >
> If my VPN tries to access a website that runs on IPv6, the VPN
> redirects my traffic to an external IPv6 DNS server

Your VPN's problem.
DNS resolution is being done on your machine and there you can
configure what you like.

> >> IpV6 off has not stopped me using just IPV4 since I turned it off
> >> when Microsoft added it,
> >> now Telstra at least have made it compulsory, that's enough to
> >> have me look elsewhere.
> >
> >That is technical evolution. Stay with it.
> >
> It's so far unnecessary spy ware

Explain how it is different to NAT66 in perspective of privacy.

> IPV4 is measurably faster.

Which is wrong if you are behind NAT/CGNAT. I already experienced that
at some ISPs here in Germany.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1712289406muell@cartoonies.org

Re: TELSTRA now made IPV6 compulsory?

<874a1jpao4dg0nulkp8tki47s9lob1drkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4293&group=aus.computers#4293

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 20:02:23 +1000
 by: Petzl - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:02 UTC

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:31:13 +0200, Marco Moock
<mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

>On 05.04.2024 um 05:56 Uhr Petzl wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:13:47 +0200, Marco Moock

>> >Then it is a crappy service. Use one that supports it properly, like
>> >that from ungleich.ch.
>> >
>> If my VPN tries to access a website that runs on IPv6, the VPN
>> redirects my traffic to an external IPv6 DNS server
>
>Your VPN's problem.
>DNS resolution is being done on your machine and there you can
>configure what you like.

I've been using IPV4 only since it ame out
Only trying PV6 on occasions was not so good for movie sreaming
or download speeds

>> >That is technical evolution. Stay with it.
>> >
>> It's so far unnecessary spy ware
>
>Explain how it is different to NAT66 in perspective of privacy.

Never used NAT66 only heard obout it from you.

>> IPV4 is measurably faster.
>
>Which is wrong if you are behind NAT/CGNAT. I already experienced that
>at some ISPs here in Germany.

Talking about IPV6 not NAT66