The problem with graduate students, in general, is that they have to sleep every few days.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: That's it for HP

SubjectAuthor
* That's it for HPkeithr0
+* Re: That's it for HPComputer Nerd Kev
|`* Re: That's it for HPOzix
| `* Re: That's it for HPGary R. Schmidt
|  `* Re: That's it for HPPetzl
|   +- Re: That's it for HPPetzl
|   `* Re: That's it for HPGary R. Schmidt
|    `- Re: That's it for HPMax
`* Re: That's it for HPTrevor Wilson
 +* Re: That's it for HPkeithr0
 |`- Re: That's it for HPjonz
 +- Re: That's it for HPjonz
 `* Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
  +* Re: That's it for HPXeno
  |`* Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
  | `- Re: That's it for HPXeno
  `* Re: That's it for HPTrevor Wilson
   `* Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
    `* Re: That's it for HPXeno
     +* Re: That's it for HPComputer Nerd Kev
     |+* Re: That's it for HPXeno
     ||`* Re: That's it for HPRod Speed
     || `* Re: That's it for HPXeno
     ||  `- Re: That's it for HPRod Speed
     |`* Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
     | +* Re: That's it for HPXeno
     | |`* Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
     | | +* Re: That's it for HPComputer Nerd Kev
     | | |`- Re: That's it for HPXeno
     | | `* Re: That's it for HPXeno
     | |  `* Re: That's it for HPGary R. Schmidt
     | |   `- Re: That's it for HPXeno
     | `* Re: That's it for HPComputer Nerd Kev
     |  `- Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
     +- Re: That's it for HPOzix
     `* Re: That's it for HPBorax Man
      +* Re: That's it for HPXeno
      |`- Re: That's it for HPRod Speed
      +- Re: That's it for HPRod Speed
      `- Re: That's it for HPTrevor Wilson

Pages:12
Re: That's it for HP

<slrnv0kuo8.5ad.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4258&group=aus.computers#4258

From: rotflol2@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: That's it for HP
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:14:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Borax Man - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:14 UTC

On 2024-03-27, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On 27/3/2024 8:52 pm, Borax Man wrote:

>>> **Back in the early 1990s, I purchased 50 Mannesmann Tally (sp?) 24 pin
>>> dot matrix printers from IBM. They cost me $50.00 each. I sold them all
>>> for $300.00 each. I checked the original cost - $2,300.00 each! Fabulous
>>> printer. Tough, reliable and fast (for a dot matrix). A mate who bought
>>> one for his business was still using it 10 years ago. It refused to stop
>>> working and he liked it because it would print multi-part forms really
>>> well. Made in Germany too.
>>>

>> I kind of miss rugged, mechanical tech. Dot Matrix printers, floppy
>> drives, things that are noisy. There is a certain level of
>> satisfaction you get being able to see and hear the machines work, the
>> machines you put into action with a simple command.
>
> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
> are well and truly gone.

My experience with Floppy Disks was generally good, they suddenly took
a turn for the worse in the late 90s/early 2000s when the
manufacturing quality just dropped off a cliff.

I wouldn't go back to using them, but I've just converted some VHS
home movies to DVD, and the old tapes, nearly 40 years are are all
still good, whereas burned DVDs? Would they last? A hard drive?

Re: That's it for HP

<slrnv0kuuv.5ad.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4259&group=aus.computers#4259

From: rotflol2@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:18:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Borax Man - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:18 UTC

On 2024-03-27, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> I kind of miss rugged, mechanical tech. Dot Matrix printers, floppy
>>> drives, things that are noisy. There is a certain level of
>>> satisfaction you get being able to see and hear the machines work, the
>>> machines you put into action with a simple command.
>>
>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
>> are well and truly gone.
>
> Still well and truely alive where I'm sitting, next to a dot-matrix
> printer, 3.5" floppy drive, Zip drive, CD ROM drive (I've rarely
> had trouble with these being flaky, it's the discs that are the
> problem), and two ~2GB IDE HDDs. All in/for the Pentium I PC that
> I'm posting this from quite comfortably.
>
> Not made by HP or IBM though.

Does the Zip drive still work? Mine suffered from the "click of
death", barely works, half the disks are gone. CD Rom drives could
die I found, but the TDK and Verbatim CDs have lasted well, aside from
a few from a particular which went bad, presumably a manufacturing
defect.

Ive still got a few 1.2M 5.25 inch drives as well, three working ones
with some disks. Still surprisingly working. I think the low density
of information on the 1.2M disks made them quite a big more reliable
than the 1.44M where they tried to fit more data into a smaller area.

Will have to see if the dot matrix works, I haven't run it in about 15
years.

Re: That's it for HP

<l6vqatFav16U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4260&group=aus.computers#4260

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 00:15:09 +1100
 by: Xeno - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:15 UTC

On 1/4/2024 8:14 pm, Borax Man wrote:
> On 2024-03-27, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> I kind of miss rugged, mechanical tech. Dot Matrix printers, floppy
>>> drives, things that are noisy. There is a certain level of
>>> satisfaction you get being able to see and hear the machines work, the
>>> machines you put into action with a simple command.
>>
>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
>> are well and truly gone.
>>

> My experience with Floppy Disks was generally good, they suddenly took

I had both good and bad experiences with floppy disks, ditto with
burnable CDs/DVDs. My first CD reader was a 2.2 times reader with caddies.

> a turn for the worse in the late 90s/early 2000s when the
> manufacturing quality just dropped off a cliff.

Yes, you needed to be brand conscious back then, some were utter crap.

> I wouldn't go back to using them, but I've just converted some VHS
> home movies to DVD, and the old tapes, nearly 40 years are are all
> still good, whereas burned DVDs? Would they last? A hard drive?

Burned DVDs will definitely not last given the medium they use. Hard
drives in the 90s had a 5 year life span (I had a part time job in the
hard drive industry back then) assuming continuous use. I saw one brand
of HDD achieve a 95% failure rate. The only reason it didn't get 100% FR
was that the last few boses of drives weren't sold. I suppose these days
you would need to look at MTBF stats to get some idea of longevity.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: That's it for HP

<l6vqg0Fav16U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4261&group=aus.computers#4261

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 00:17:52 +1100
 by: Xeno - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:17 UTC

On 1/4/2024 8:18 pm, Borax Man wrote:
> On 2024-03-27, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
>>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
>>> are well and truly gone.
>>
>> Still well and truely alive where I'm sitting, next to a dot-matrix
>> printer, 3.5" floppy drive, Zip drive, CD ROM drive (I've rarely
>> had trouble with these being flaky, it's the discs that are the
>> problem), and two ~2GB IDE HDDs. All in/for the Pentium I PC that
>> I'm posting this from quite comfortably.
>>
>> Not made by HP or IBM though.
>>

> Does the Zip drive still work? Mine suffered from the "click of
> death", barely works, half the disks are gone. CD Rom drives could
> die I found, but the TDK and Verbatim CDs have lasted well, aside from
> a few from a particular which went bad, presumably a manufacturing
> defect.
>
> Ive still got a few 1.2M 5.25 inch drives as well, three working ones
> with some disks. Still surprisingly working. I think the low density
> of information on the 1.2M disks made them quite a big more reliable
> than the 1.44M where they tried to fit more data into a smaller area.
>
> Will have to see if the dot matrix works, I haven't run it in about 15
> years.

Clean, then run a bit of thin lube on the head guide rails before you
run it. They will be dusty and dry after all this time.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: That's it for HP

<op.2lkat1u7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4262&group=aus.computers#4262

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 05:26:15 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:26 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 20:14:48 +1100, Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2024-03-27, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> I kind of miss rugged, mechanical tech. Dot Matrix printers, floppy
>>> drives, things that are noisy. There is a certain level of
>>> satisfaction you get being able to see and hear the machines work, the
>>> machines you put into action with a simple command.
>>
>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
>> are well and truly gone.
>>

> My experience with Floppy Disks was generally good, they suddenly took
> a turn for the worse in the late 90s/early 2000s when the
> manufacturing quality just dropped off a cliff.
>
> I wouldn't go back to using them, but I've just converted some VHS
> home movies to DVD, and the old tapes, nearly 40 years are are all
> still good, whereas burned DVDs? Would they last?

Mine have and I don't bother to store them properly at all.

> A hard drive?

Only loat the one 80MB Miniscribe and I have dozens of hard drives
that I kept the recorded free to air progs on and never could be
bothered to clean up given hard drives became so cheap.

Re: That's it for HP

<op.2lka2bvpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4263&group=aus.computers#4263

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 05:31:13 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:31 UTC

On Tue, 02 Apr 2024 00:15:09 +1100, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On 1/4/2024 8:14 pm, Borax Man wrote:

>>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out
>>> of
>>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those
>>> days
>>> are well and truly gone.
>>>

>> My experience with Floppy Disks was generally good, they suddenly took
>
> I had both good and bad experiences with floppy disks, ditto with
> burnable CDs/DVDs. My first CD reader was a 2.2 times reader with
> caddies.
>
>> a turn for the worse in the late 90s/early 2000s when the
>> manufacturing quality just dropped off a cliff.
>
> Yes, you needed to be brand conscious back then, some were utter crap.
>> I wouldn't go back to using them, but I've just converted some VHS
>> home movies to DVD, and the old tapes, nearly 40 years are are all
>> still good, whereas burned DVDs? Would they last? A hard drive?

> Burned DVDs will definitely not last given the medium they use.

Wrong, mine have.

> Hard drives in the 90s had a 5 year life span

BULLSHIT. I only ever lost the one 80MB Miniscribe

> (I had a part time job in the hard drive industry back then)

But have no way of knowing what the failure rate in the field was.

> assuming continuous use.

Mine were all continuous use. I only ever turn my
systems off when going away for weeks, never for
a few days.

> I saw one brand of HDD achieve a 95% failure rate. The only reason it
> didn't get 100% FR was that the last few boses of drives weren't sold. I
> suppose these days you would need to look at MTBF stats to get some idea
> of longevity.

MTBFdoes nothing of the sort.

Re: That's it for HP

<660b3055@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4264&group=aus.computers#4264

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 2 Apr 2024 08:08:21 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:08 UTC

Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-27, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
>>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
>>> are well and truly gone.
>>
>> Still well and truely alive where I'm sitting, next to a dot-matrix
>> printer, 3.5" floppy drive, Zip drive, CD ROM drive (I've rarely
>> had trouble with these being flaky, it's the discs that are the
>> problem), and two ~2GB IDE HDDs. All in/for the Pentium I PC that
>> I'm posting this from quite comfortably.
>>
>> Not made by HP or IBM though.
>>

> Does the Zip drive still work?

Yes, it's an internal IDE-connected one.

> Mine suffered from the "click of death", barely works, half the
> disks are gone.

I had "click of death" problems with USB Zip drives. It seems like
the earlier IDE and Parallel Port drives were more reliable to me.

> Ive still got a few 1.2M 5.25 inch drives as well, three working ones
> with some disks. Still surprisingly working. I think the low density
> of information on the 1.2M disks made them quite a big more reliable
> than the 1.44M where they tried to fit more data into a smaller area.

Yes I found 1.4MB floppies tended to become flaky with lots of big
writes, although for read-only use they seem to last as well as
other floppies.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: That's it for HP

<slrnv0n89f.2fs.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4265&group=aus.computers#4265

From: rotflol2@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:09:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Borax Man - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:09 UTC

On 2024-04-01, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Still well and truely alive where I'm sitting, next to a dot-matrix
>>> printer, 3.5" floppy drive, Zip drive, CD ROM drive (I've rarely
>>> had trouble with these being flaky, it's the discs that are the
>>> problem), and two ~2GB IDE HDDs. All in/for the Pentium I PC that
>>> I'm posting this from quite comfortably.
>>>
>>> Not made by HP or IBM though.
>>>

>> Does the Zip drive still work?
>
> Yes, it's an internal IDE-connected one.
>
>> Mine suffered from the "click of death", barely works, half the
>> disks are gone.
>
> I had "click of death" problems with USB Zip drives. It seems like
> the earlier IDE and Parallel Port drives were more reliable to me.

Mine is the Parallel Port option. In retrospect I should have just
waited a little longer until I got a CD-Burner. I did use it to
transfer files between home and work, and on occasion with friends but
it was only a year or so later when I transferred my Zip disk archive
to a few CD's. Those disks cost about $12-$14 AUD each back around
2000.

It worked well for a few years, but recently when I've played with it,
its been flaky.

>> Ive still got a few 1.2M 5.25 inch drives as well, three working ones
>> with some disks. Still surprisingly working. I think the low density
>> of information on the 1.2M disks made them quite a big more reliable
>> than the 1.44M where they tried to fit more data into a smaller area.
>
> Yes I found 1.4MB floppies tended to become flaky with lots of big
> writes, although for read-only use they seem to last as well as
> other floppies.

I've got some floppies, 720K formatted as 1.44M that my uncle put
files on back in the early 90s, and they still work. He had an
Amstrad PC2386, and that floppy drive would format a 720K to 1.44M
without the need to punch the hole in it. I don't know why I've still
got them.

Re: That's it for HP

<slrnv0n8b5.2fs.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4266&group=aus.computers#4266

From: rotflol2@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:10:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Borax Man - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:10 UTC

On 2024-04-01, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 8:18 pm, Borax Man wrote:

>>> Still well and truely alive where I'm sitting, next to a dot-matrix
>>> printer, 3.5" floppy drive, Zip drive, CD ROM drive (I've rarely
>>> had trouble with these being flaky, it's the discs that are the
>>> problem), and two ~2GB IDE HDDs. All in/for the Pentium I PC that
>>> I'm posting this from quite comfortably.
>>>
>>> Not made by HP or IBM though.
>>>

>> Does the Zip drive still work? Mine suffered from the "click of
>> death", barely works, half the disks are gone. CD Rom drives could
>> die I found, but the TDK and Verbatim CDs have lasted well, aside from
>> a few from a particular which went bad, presumably a manufacturing
>> defect.
>>
>> Ive still got a few 1.2M 5.25 inch drives as well, three working ones
>> with some disks. Still surprisingly working. I think the low density
>> of information on the 1.2M disks made them quite a big more reliable
>> than the 1.44M where they tried to fit more data into a smaller area.
>>
>> Will have to see if the dot matrix works, I haven't run it in about 15
>> years.
>
> Clean, then run a bit of thin lube on the head guide rails before you
> run it. They will be dusty and dry after all this time.

Any lube you recommend? Grease or will sewing machine oil work?

Re: That's it for HP

<660bae6f@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4267&group=aus.computers#4267

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 2 Apr 2024 17:06:23 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:06 UTC

Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2024-04-01, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> On 1/4/2024 8:18 pm, Borax Man wrote:
>>>
>>> Will have to see if the dot matrix works, I haven't run it in about 15
>>> years.
>>
>> Clean, then run a bit of thin lube on the head guide rails before you
>> run it. They will be dusty and dry after all this time.
>>

> Any lube you recommend? Grease or will sewing machine oil work?

I've used 3-in-1 oil for that and it seems to do the job, but it's
only a guess.

Of course the ribbon will probably be dried up too, but you'll
probably still see something on the paper. They can be re-inked
with oil-based ink, or you can still buy new ones for some models.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: That's it for HP

<l724cjFlm07U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4268&group=aus.computers#4268

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:18:59 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 10:18 UTC

On 2/4/2024 5:10 pm, Borax Man wrote:
> On 2024-04-01, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> Does the Zip drive still work? Mine suffered from the "click of
>>> death", barely works, half the disks are gone. CD Rom drives could
>>> die I found, but the TDK and Verbatim CDs have lasted well, aside from
>>> a few from a particular which went bad, presumably a manufacturing
>>> defect.
>>>
>>> Ive still got a few 1.2M 5.25 inch drives as well, three working ones
>>> with some disks. Still surprisingly working. I think the low density
>>> of information on the 1.2M disks made them quite a big more reliable
>>> than the 1.44M where they tried to fit more data into a smaller area.
>>>
>>> Will have to see if the dot matrix works, I haven't run it in about 15
>>> years.
>>
>> Clean, then run a bit of thin lube on the head guide rails before you
>> run it. They will be dusty and dry after all this time.
>>

> Any lube you recommend? Grease or will sewing machine oil work?

Sewing machine oil should be adequate. Moisten a lint free cloth with it
and spread it from cloth to guide rails.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: That's it for HP

<l97tdk-mf.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4269&group=aus.computers#4269

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:37:56 +1100
<l6iki3Fb295U1@mid.individual.net> <6604a451@news.ausics.net>
<slrnv0kuuv.5ad.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>
<l6vqg0Fav16U2@mid.individual.net>
<slrnv0n8b5.2fs.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>
<l724cjFlm07U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 11:37 UTC

On 02/04/2024 21:18, Xeno wrote:
> On 2/4/2024 5:10 pm, Borax Man wrote:

>>> Clean, then run a bit of thin lube on the head guide rails before you
>>> run it. They will be dusty and dry after all this time.
>>>

>> Any lube you recommend?  Grease or will sewing machine oil work?
>
> Sewing machine oil should be adequate. Moisten a lint free cloth with it
> and spread it from cloth to guide rails.

Make sure you don't use the sewing machine oil with the extra glugginess
additive - I can never remember what is is, but do avoid it.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: That's it for HP

<l72ct3Fmte5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4271&group=aus.computers#4271

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 23:44:19 +1100
<l6iki3Fb295U1@mid.individual.net> <6604a451@news.ausics.net>
<slrnv0kuuv.5ad.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>
<l6vqg0Fav16U2@mid.individual.net>
<slrnv0n8b5.2fs.rotflol2@Deimos.Underworld>
<l724cjFlm07U1@mid.individual.net>
<l97tdk-mf.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>
 by: Xeno - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:44 UTC

On 2/4/2024 10:37 pm, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 02/04/2024 21:18, Xeno wrote:

>>> Any lube you recommend?  Grease or will sewing machine oil work?
>>
>> Sewing machine oil should be adequate. Moisten a lint free cloth with
>> it and spread it from cloth to guide rails.
>>

> Make sure you don't use the sewing machine oil with the extra glugginess
> additive - I can never remember what is is, but do avoid it.
>
>     Cheers,
>         Gary    B-)

Yes, glugginess to be avoided. I have used CRC 5.56 at times, found it
to work quite well. Just don't spray it around inside the printer - same
as machine oil - wet a rag with it and rub it onto the rails.
--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: That's it for HP

<l74d59F1d7uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4273&group=aus.computers#4273

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 18:00:56 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:00 UTC

On 2/4/2024 6:06 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Clean, then run a bit of thin lube on the head guide rails before you
>>> run it. They will be dusty and dry after all this time.
>>>

>> Any lube you recommend? Grease or will sewing machine oil work?
>
> I've used 3-in-1 oil for that and it seems to do the job, but it's
> only a guess.

3-in-one oil is light machine oil but may come with some additives.

Light machine oil - like sewing machine oil - comes on a mineral base
with no additives. That way it leaves no varnish film on parts. The lack
of additives means that there are no additives to concern yourself about
that may deteriorate plastic components - and is why I say to apply a
film of oil to the runner guides with an oil moistened rag. That said,
you can get a sewing machine oil with a teflon additive. I would avoid
that one and anything with a silicone additive.

As an aside, don't use WD-40. It is primarily a water displacer and will
not provide adequate long term lubrication.

> Of course the ribbon will probably be dried up too, but you'll
> probably still see something on the paper. They can be re-inked
> with oil-based ink, or you can still buy new ones for some models.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: That's it for HP

<l7m8hnFmum2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4294&group=aus.computers#4294

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:32:40 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:32 UTC

On 1/04/2024 8:14 pm, Borax Man wrote:
> On 2024-03-27, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> I kind of miss rugged, mechanical tech. Dot Matrix printers, floppy
>>> drives, things that are noisy. There is a certain level of
>>> satisfaction you get being able to see and hear the machines work, the
>>> machines you put into action with a simple command.
>>
>> Yeah, hear those buzzy HDDs work, then head crash when you breathed too
>> hard near them. I too remember those days, floppy drives drifting out of
>> alignment, dot matrix printers that would send you deaf, the days of
>> flaky floppy disks, and even flakier CD ROM drives - I'm glad those days
>> are well and truly gone.
>>

> My experience with Floppy Disks was generally good, they suddenly took
> a turn for the worse in the late 90s/early 2000s when the
> manufacturing quality just dropped off a cliff.
>
> I wouldn't go back to using them, but I've just converted some VHS
> home movies to DVD, and the old tapes, nearly 40 years are are all
> still good, whereas burned DVDs? Would they last? A hard drive?

**Depends on the brand DVD. Some brands last well and some don't. I
recently checked a bunch I burned years ago. Most played well, but a few
didn't. The few that didn't play were the same brand. All were stored
appropriately and in the same location.