"Hello," he lied. -- Don Carpenter, quoting a Hollywood agent

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Problem with Samsung smart TV

SubjectAuthor
* Problem with Samsung smart TVWoody
+- Re: Problem with Samsung smart TVBrian Gaff
+* Re: Problem with Samsung smart TVDavid Wade
|`- Re: Problem with Samsung smart TVWoody
`- Re: Problem with Samsung smart TVRoger Mills

1
Problem with Samsung smart TV

<uot6on$28369$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42936&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42936

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Problem with Samsung smart TV
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:39:49 +0000
 by: Woody - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:39 UTC

I wonder if anyone can help me as Samsung will only help if I give them
remote access to the TV which I am not prepared to do.

The TV is a UE32T5300AKXXU, that is 32" 5000 series smart TV about 18
months old.

In the (recent) past with the TV connected to the Interweb I could watch
'normal' Freeview channels off-air (very strong signal) and if, say, I
wanted to watch EuroNews I could dial up channel 4003 which would put me
on line to something called Samsung TV Plus and lo and behold there was
EuroNews.

A few days ago I wanted to watch EuroNews so tried to input 4003 but all
that happened was I go 40, the second zero made the screen go blank, and
the 3 put me on Freeview 3 (ITV1). I also found that if used the channel
up/down bar on a Freeview channel the TV immediately went to channel
4000 (Samsung Smart TV Plus again) and the only way to get back to
Freeview was to dial the channel number directly, i.e. it was impossible
to use the up/down bar on the remote to go between Freeview channels.

I have tried different settings in various places in the menu but could
not get out of this situation despite knowing what I am doing (in terms
of Joe Public) and even power cycled the TV but no joy.

In terms of streaming (iPlayer etc) the TV works perfectly.

Anyone come across such a problem or have any idea how to get back to
where I was in the recent past?

Re: Problem with Samsung smart TV

<uotaq7$28l2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42937&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42937

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Problem with Samsung smart TV
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:48:52 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:48 UTC

No I have a 2020 model and although I am not sure if all the news and extra
Samsung plus channels are still there, afair few are along with a smattering
of the uk TV catch ups, If I go down from bbc 1sd, I go into the Samsung
film channels from the highest number. If I want to switch using the mode,
you can do that too. I did let them into my TV about a year ago and the lady
whizzed around tosome places I'd never seen before and did a complete
restart when done. I had to set up Bluetooth etc afterwards, but its worked
since. The glitch in my case was no or partial audio announcements, and more
recently a large update seems to have made a lot more of the smart stuff
accessible and Youtube talk and accept voice searches.
I have to say though that although Alexa works well the inbuilt voice
called Pico sounds like an asthmatic Malaysian. Samsung, there are now loads
of better voices out there, and they can pronounce the words properly too!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I wonder if anyone can help me as Samsung will only help if I give them
>remote access to the TV which I am not prepared to do.
>
> The TV is a UE32T5300AKXXU, that is 32" 5000 series smart TV about 18
> months old.
>
> In the (recent) past with the TV connected to the Interweb I could watch
> 'normal' Freeview channels off-air (very strong signal) and if, say, I
> wanted to watch EuroNews I could dial up channel 4003 which would put me
> on line to something called Samsung TV Plus and lo and behold there was
> EuroNews.
>
> A few days ago I wanted to watch EuroNews so tried to input 4003 but all
> that happened was I go 40, the second zero made the screen go blank, and
> the 3 put me on Freeview 3 (ITV1). I also found that if used the channel
> up/down bar on a Freeview channel the TV immediately went to channel 4000
> (Samsung Smart TV Plus again) and the only way to get back to Freeview was
> to dial the channel number directly, i.e. it was impossible to use the
> up/down bar on the remote to go between Freeview channels.
>
> I have tried different settings in various places in the menu but could
> not get out of this situation despite knowing what I am doing (in terms of
> Joe Public) and even power cycled the TV but no joy.
>
> In terms of streaming (iPlayer etc) the TV works perfectly.
>
> Anyone come across such a problem or have any idea how to get back to
> where I was in the recent past?

Re: Problem with Samsung smart TV

<uotetc$297ip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42938&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42938

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:58:52 +0000
 by: David Wade - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:58 UTC

On 25/01/2024 08:39, Woody wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me as Samsung will only help if I give them
> remote access to the TV which I am not prepared to do.
>
> The TV is a UE32T5300AKXXU, that is 32" 5000 series smart TV about 18
> months old.
>
> In the (recent) past with the TV connected to the Interweb I could watch
> 'normal' Freeview channels off-air (very strong signal) and if, say, I
> wanted to watch EuroNews I could dial up channel 4003 which would put me
> on line to something called Samsung TV Plus and lo and behold there was
> EuroNews.
>
> A few days ago I wanted to watch EuroNews so tried to input 4003 but all
> that happened was I go 40, the second zero made the screen go blank, and
> the 3 put me on Freeview 3 (ITV1). I also found that if used the channel
> up/down bar on a Freeview channel the TV immediately went to channel
> 4000 (Samsung Smart TV Plus again) and the only way to get back to
> Freeview was to dial the channel number directly, i.e. it was impossible
> to use the up/down bar on the remote to go between Freeview channels.
>
> I have tried different settings in various places in the menu but could
> not get out of this situation despite knowing what I am doing (in terms
> of Joe Public) and even power cycled the TV but no joy.
>
> In terms of streaming (iPlayer etc) the TV works perfectly.
>
> Anyone come across such a problem or have any idea how to get back to
> where I was in the recent past?

I have an older model, and my grump always was I ended up in Samsung TV
and could not get out. Perhaps you now have to go to the Samsung TV App?
Does it show in the bottom bar along with Youtube etc?

Dave

Re: Problem with Samsung smart TV

<l1fa91F343vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42939&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42939

From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:41:36 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:41 UTC

On 25/01/2024 08:39, Woody wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me as Samsung will only help if I give them
> remote access to the TV which I am not prepared to do.
>
> The TV is a UE32T5300AKXXU, that is 32" 5000 series smart TV about 18
> months old.
>
> In the (recent) past with the TV connected to the Interweb I could watch
> 'normal' Freeview channels off-air (very strong signal) and if, say, I
> wanted to watch EuroNews I could dial up channel 4003 which would put me
> on line to something called Samsung TV Plus and lo and behold there was
> EuroNews.
>
> A few days ago I wanted to watch EuroNews so tried to input 4003 but all
> that happened was I go 40, the second zero made the screen go blank, and
> the 3 put me on Freeview 3 (ITV1). I also found that if used the channel
> up/down bar on a Freeview channel the TV immediately went to channel
> 4000 (Samsung Smart TV Plus again) and the only way to get back to
> Freeview was to dial the channel number directly, i.e. it was impossible
> to use the up/down bar on the remote to go between Freeview channels.
>
> I have tried different settings in various places in the menu but could
> not get out of this situation despite knowing what I am doing (in terms
> of Joe Public) and even power cycled the TV but no joy.
>
> In terms of streaming (iPlayer etc) the TV works perfectly.
>
> Anyone come across such a problem or have any idea how to get back to
> where I was in the recent past?

Does your TV have a second remote which allows you to use voice
commands? If so, have you tried telling that to go to 4003?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Problem with Samsung smart TV

<uou26c$2c9d4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42940&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42940

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:27:54 +0000
 by: Woody - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:27 UTC

On Thu 25/01/2024 10:58, David Wade wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 08:39, Woody wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone can help me as Samsung will only help if I give
>> them remote access to the TV which I am not prepared to do.
>>
>> The TV is a UE32T5300AKXXU, that is 32" 5000 series smart TV about 18
>> months old.
>>
>> In the (recent) past with the TV connected to the Interweb I could
>> watch 'normal' Freeview channels off-air (very strong signal) and if,
>> say, I wanted to watch EuroNews I could dial up channel 4003 which
>> would put me on line to something called Samsung TV Plus and lo and
>> behold there was EuroNews.
>>
>> A few days ago I wanted to watch EuroNews so tried to input 4003 but
>> all that happened was I go 40, the second zero made the screen go
>> blank, and the 3 put me on Freeview 3 (ITV1). I also found that if
>> used the channel up/down bar on a Freeview channel the TV immediately
>> went to channel 4000 (Samsung Smart TV Plus again) and the only way to
>> get back to Freeview was to dial the channel number directly, i.e. it
>> was impossible to use the up/down bar on the remote to go between
>> Freeview channels.
>>
>> I have tried different settings in various places in the menu but
>> could not get out of this situation despite knowing what I am doing
>> (in terms of Joe Public) and even power cycled the TV but no joy.
>>
>> In terms of streaming (iPlayer etc) the TV works perfectly.
>>
>> Anyone come across such a problem or have any idea how to get back to
>> where I was in the recent past?
>
> I have an older model, and my grump always was I ended up in Samsung TV
> and could not get out. Perhaps you now have to go to the Samsung TV App?
> Does it show in the bottom bar along with Youtube etc?

The Samsung TV app was sitting on the upper line immediately above the
default icon on the lower line. It had a white on green tick in the
upper right of the icon. When I moved up which took me onto the icon and
clicked on it I found I could move the app icon along the upper black
line and eventually managed to park it on the lower line after the end
of the default app icons.
The up/down and direct input of the channel numbers without finding
myself in the Samsung TV app now works correctly and SWMBO is happy. I
cannot directly input Samsung TV app channels - such as 4003 for
EuroNews - without selecting the app icon first.
So all in all I am in a better place than I was but not back to where I
started whence I could dip in and out of the TV app by inputting the
relevant TV app number or the Freeview channel number to get out.

Such is life, I suppose?