If you didn't have most of your friends, you wouldn't have most of your problems.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Internet Radio

SubjectAuthor
* Internet RadioJeff Gaines
+* Re: Internet RadioTweed
|`- Re: Internet RadioJMB99
+- Re: Internet RadioAndy Burns
+* Re: Internet RadioChris Green
|`* Re: Internet RadioTweed
| `- Re: Internet RadioScott
+* Re: Internet RadioJeff Layman
|+- Re: Internet RadioJMB99
|`- Re: Internet RadioRoderick Stewart
+* Re: Internet Radiothe dog from that film you saw
|`- Re: Internet RadioBrian Gaff
`* Re: Internet RadioJeff Gaines
 `* Re: Internet RadioJMB99
  `- Re: Internet RadioBrian Gaff

1
Internet Radio

<xn0oi0ud89zwmff00p@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43013&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43013

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Internet Radio
Date: 13 Feb 2024 09:30:00 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:30 UTC

Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
night.

Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: Internet Radio

<uqfdjr$21e6b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43014&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43014

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Internet Radio
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:43:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Jk7rvIuw4stkLF7+kSbLiKrY3Z0=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:43 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
> night.
>
> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!

Depends how big is big. I’ve got a Roberts 94 Stream next to me. The clock
in digital mode has characters 12mm tall and the total displayed width is
40mm. I’ve got a Pure Siesta which has huge digits, but as you say, is not
an Internet based device. It does have Bluetooth so you could play back via
a phone, but that’s clunky.

Re: Internet Radio

<l30t6jF2tglU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43015&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43015

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:05:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:05 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
> night.

I have a Lenovo smart clock, largest font is about 1" high, its inbuilt
speaker is a bit tinny, so I use it to control a better set of speakers
via a chromecast audio device.

Re: Internet Radio

<0err9k-ncuo.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43016&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43016

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:04:16 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:04 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
> night.
>
> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!

The chances of an internet radio working with 'ordinary' stations such
as the BBC's various services for longer than a month or two are
minimal. The BBC now changes things so frequently there's no sane way
an internet radio can keep up.

Rant over! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Internet Radio

<uqffvd$21q4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43017&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43017

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:23:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EeTcm1iianM8915N8R6fMMpvYVM=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:23 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
>> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
>> night.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
>> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!
>>
> The chances of an internet radio working with 'ordinary' stations such
> as the BBC's various services for longer than a month or two are
> minimal. The BBC now changes things so frequently there's no sane way
> an internet radio can keep up.
>
> Rant over! :-)

I’ve had my Roberts Stream for 3 years now, and it still picks up the BBC
streams without a problem - I’ve just double checked.

Re: Internet Radio

<uqftb7$2454n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43019&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43019

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:11:51 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:11 UTC

On 13/02/2024 09:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
> night.
>
> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!

Well, if you can't find one why not go for separates? I don't know about
internet radios, but I can thoroughly recommend an ordinary clock radio
with a very big display:
<https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8886415?clickSR=slp:term:clock%20radio:2:35:1>

Ours has 12/24H display, and has been working well for over 5 years. It
has even got a battery backup for the time, alarm, and settings
circuitry if the mains goes off. There's no display visible, but as soon
as the power returns it shows the correct time.

--

Jeff

Re: Internet Radio

<uqg9b6$26ddb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43020&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43020

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:36:36 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:36 UTC

On 13/02/2024 09:43, Tweed wrote:
> Depends how big is big. I’ve got a Roberts 94 Stream next to me. The clock
> in digital mode has characters 12mm tall and the total displayed width is
> 40mm. I’ve got a Pure Siesta which has huge digits, but as you say, is not
> an Internet based device. It does have Bluetooth so you could play back via
> a phone, but that’s clunky.

I think my Roberts Stream 94i series Bluetooth is only an input, not an
output - just confirmed by connecting to the radio from my tablet.

Re: Internet Radio

<uqg9ir$26ddb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43021&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43021

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:40:43 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:40 UTC

On 13/02/2024 14:11, Jeff Layman wrote:

> Well, if you can't find one why not go for separates? I don't know about
> internet radios, but I can thoroughly recommend an ordinary clock radio
> with a very big display:
> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8886415?clickSR=slp:term:clock%20radio:2:35:1>
>
> Ours has 12/24H display, and has been working well for over 5 years. It
> has even got a battery backup for the time, alarm, and settings
> circuitry if the mains goes off. There's no display visible, but as soon
> as the power returns it shows the correct time.

I have one of their 'Precision' radios (brand name).

The clock is radio controlled, not sure if MSF or DCF77 but most are
DCF77. Works well and readable at night with its illuminated display -
only illuminate on main but works off batteries as well.

They do not seem to have my model now but they have a range of them,
including one that projects the time on the ceiling.

Re: Internet Radio

<gTNyN.49368$Erzc.33295@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43022&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43022

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: dsb@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com (the dog from that film you saw)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:43:38 +0000
 by: the dog from that fi - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:43 UTC

On 13/02/2024 09:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
> night.
>
> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!

echo show?
i often ask mine what time it is when half asleep, don't have to open
your eyes either.

Re: Internet Radio

<uqggdu$27nqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43023&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43023

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:37:32 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:37 UTC

And with whisper mode it is not going to wake anyone up. There is also a dot
now with a clock, even cheaper.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> On 13/02/2024 09:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
>> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
>> night.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
>> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!
>>

> echo show?
> i often ask mine what time it is when half asleep, don't have to open your
> eyes either.

Re: Internet Radio

<s14psidotcm4qqr6p3uk289qsed6b07qn2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43024&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43024

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:09:28 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:09 UTC

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:11:51 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 13/02/2024 09:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
>> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
>> night.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
>> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!
>
>Well, if you can't find one why not go for separates? I don't know about
>internet radios, but I can thoroughly recommend an ordinary clock radio
>with a very big display:
><https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8886415?clickSR=slp:term:clock%20radio:2:35:1>
>

>Ours has 12/24H display, and has been working well for over 5 years. It
>has even got a battery backup for the time, alarm, and settings
>circuitry if the mains goes off. There's no display visible, but as soon
>as the power returns it shows the correct time.

I have a mains powered seven segment red LED alarm clock that has been
working flawlessly since 1982.

Mine doesn't have a backup battery, so if power is ever removed it
flashes from 12:00 like an old VHS machine the next time it's powered
up, so it functions as a power cut detector as well.

Rod.

Re: Internet Radio

<xn0oi2azubi6g7k00r@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43025&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43025

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 14 Feb 2024 10:49:21 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:49 UTC

On 13/02/2024 in message <xn0oi0ud89zwmff00p@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
>Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
>night.
>
>Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
>Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!

Just so say thank you very much for the replies, lot of food for thought
and ended up with the following:

DAB+ radio in bedroom was erratic and sometimes had problems picking up
Mellow Magic which is supposed to see me off to sleep and wake me up in
the morning!

Working through your suggestions:

I had a good poke around in the manual for my Yamaha RX-S601D manual and
discovered it can stream Internet radio (I don't have an external DAB
aerial). Blooming nigh impossible to do it with the remote but, of course,
there's an app for that! So have discovered and am now using a function I
didn't realise existed.

That released the Roberts Stream 83i from the lounge so it goes to
bedroom. It has lots of functions including streaming radio and an alarm
but, when the alarm starts the radio, the display switches to a banner
telling you who is doing what at Magic rather than the time.

So dug out my big character digital clock, sadly not radio controlled but
fairly accurate.

Problem fixed at no cost, thanks again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: Internet Radio

<uqib8d$2ks1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43026&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43026

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:21:32 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:21 UTC

On 14/02/2024 10:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> DAB+ radio in bedroom was erratic and sometimes had problems picking up
> Mellow Magic which is supposed to see me off to sleep and wake me up in
> the morning!

When you set the Roberts to switch off after a time you set, it slowly
turns down the volume. This can be disconcerting when you are half
asleep and the radio gets quieter and quieter!

Re: Internet Radio

<uqkr15$39e0u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43034&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43034

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:02:58 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:02 UTC

Can you not turn the feature off?. If faded at all it should be a more rapid
one a bit like when you fall asleep in front of the telly. Its there then
its some time later. A bit like when they put you out for an operation.

I have to say that I use the Amazon Echo dot with a line in from the
headphone socket to a decent amp and speakers. As long as it is solidly on
your wifi it seems fine.
I do have an old Dab, but now it cannot do DAB plus, it is all rather
pointless. I think when they invented a new standard, they should have
picked one that the old chips could manage, considering the penetration
already of DAB in the market. I took part in the original DAB trials, back
just in the last century, and when it worked it was fine. It just allowed
the errors to be sent to the output which gave that distinctive boiling mud
sound the worse it got. Maybe the system was not ready yt and they rushed it
out with power hungry hardware decoding chipsets, rather than waiting to get
the software controlled decoders they tend to use now which are much less
power hungry.
I still think it would be relatively easy to produce a speaking version.
Many TVs now have this for their menus, at scant cost to the product.
A lot of older people struggle with lcd menus on radios due to their sight
being not what it was.
Brian

--

--:
"JMB99" <mb@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On 14/02/2024 10:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> DAB+ radio in bedroom was erratic and sometimes had problems picking up
>> Mellow Magic which is supposed to see me off to sleep and wake me up in
>> the morning!
>

> When you set the Roberts to switch off after a time you set, it slowly
> turns down the volume. This can be disconcerting when you are half asleep
> and the radio gets quieter and quieter!

Re: Internet Radio

<b6hssipifkav2aqs2kij01blgmthksjhuo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43039&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43039

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:07:42 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:07 UTC

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:23:41 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't know if this is outside the scope of this group but I'd like an
>>> Internet radio alarm clock with nice big numbers that I can read in the
>>> night.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to such a beast or a more appropriate place to ask?
>>> Loads of Internet radios around but very few with big clocks!
>>>
>> The chances of an internet radio working with 'ordinary' stations such
>> as the BBC's various services for longer than a month or two are
>> minimal. The BBC now changes things so frequently there's no sane way
>> an internet radio can keep up.
>>
>> Rant over! :-)
>>

>I’ve had my Roberts Stream for 3 years now, and it still picks up the BBC
>streams without a problem - I’ve just double checked.

Mine too last time I checked.