Confirmed bachelor: A man who goes through life without a hitch.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Fire stick

SubjectAuthor
* Fire stickJonathan
+* Re: Fire stickWoody
|+* Re: Fire stickBrian Gaff
||`* Re: Fire stickWoody
|| `* Re: Fire stickMark Carver
||  `* Re: Fire stickcharles
||   `- Re: Fire stickMark Carver
|`* Re: Fire stickJonathan
| `- Re: Fire stickBrian Gaff
`- Re: Fire stickChris Holmes

1
Fire stick

<up5sc4$3v1vk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42953&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42953

From: wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Fire stick
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:37:39 +0000
 by: Jonathan - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:37 UTC

I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
two devices, so there is no conflict.

Many thanks, Jonathan.

Re: Fire stick

<up5v8h$h03$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42954&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42954

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Fire stick
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:26:56 +0000
 by: Woody - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:26 UTC

On Sun 28/01/2024 15:37, Jonathan wrote:
> I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
> up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
> remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
> fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
> two devices, so there is no conflict.

Not a frequency issue as, IMSMC, there are only two frequencies
allocated for remotes in the UK, 433.92MHz and another around 868MHz.

If your Fire stick remote works your TV then the coding of the remote
has to be the same as the TV. You need to find out if your TV has the
facility to change the coding, for example as Humax products did.

Re: Fire stick

<up630v$185f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42955&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42955

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:31:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:31 UTC

Are they both radio and not Infra Red, there seems no point in a tv not
being Infra Red. However, Samsung use both.
Could this possibly be due to the two devices being Android based?
I'm surprised that there is no support for Sony on the catch up side. Its
a popular make and it cannot be beyond the wit of the app writers to make
sure the control systems stay the same.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sun 28/01/2024 15:37, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
>> up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
>> remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
>> fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
>> two devices, so there is no conflict.
>>

> Not a frequency issue as, IMSMC, there are only two frequencies allocated
> for remotes in the UK, 433.92MHz and another around 868MHz.
>
> If your Fire stick remote works your TV then the coding of the remote has
> to be the same as the TV. You need to find out if your TV has the facility
> to change the coding, for example as Humax products did.

Re: Fire stick

<up6d6m$2ufl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42956&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42956

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:24:53 +0000
 by: Woody - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:24 UTC

Do you remember Brian when On Digital boxes first came out? For some
reason - which needed a software patch to cure - I I R C Sony TVs could
not get sound on Channel 4?

On Sun 28/01/2024 17:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Are they both radio and not Infra Red, there seems no point in a tv not
> being Infra Red. However, Samsung use both.
> Could this possibly be due to the two devices being Android based?
> I'm surprised that there is no support for Sony on the catch up side. Its
> a popular make and it cannot be beyond the wit of the app writers to make
> sure the control systems stay the same.
> Brian

Re: Fire stick

<up8bpr$g10m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42957&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42957

From: wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:13:16 +0000
 by: Jonathan - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:13 UTC

Do you have any advice? Google wasn't much help.

On 28/01/2024 16:26, Woody wrote:
> On Sun 28/01/2024 15:37, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC
>> catch up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire
>> stick remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to
>> unplug the fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to
>> separate the two devices, so there is no conflict.
>>

> Not a frequency issue as, IMSMC, there are only two frequencies
> allocated for remotes in the UK, 433.92MHz and another around 868MHz.
>
> If your Fire stick remote works your TV then the coding of the remote
> has to be the same as the TV. You need to find out if your TV has the
> facility to change the coding, for example as Humax products did.

Re: Fire stick

<l1psasFu98dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42958&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42958

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:51:00 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:51 UTC

On 28/01/2024 20:24, Woody wrote:
> I I R C  Sony TVs could not get sound on Channel 4?

There was a problem I recall, when in 1993 C4 moved from their analogue
distribution using dual channel sound in syncs, to a 34 Mb/s digital
distribution (also operated by BT) that that led to BT having to provide
NICAM coders as part of their termination equipment at the transmitter
sites.

It was some subtle effect that revolved around the LSB in the NICAM data
stream, and was something that Sony hadn't taken account of I think ?

It wasn't that there was no sound, it was far more subtle than that, and
didn't just affect Sony receivers.

Some receiver manufacturers had used UK off air NICAM broadcasts to
develop their decoders, rather than use the full published technical
spec. So what had worked properly for BBC and IBA broadcasts, suddenly
didn't when BT bought themselves some more recent equipment.

It's a problem that has reared its head a few times over the years with
DVB.

Re: Fire stick

<5b2a5fd534charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42959&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42959

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!newsfeed.xs3.de!usenet.elia.li!nntp.terraraq.uk!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder3.usenet.farm!feeder4.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news.usenet.farm
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 24 15:08:04 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:08 UTC

In article <l1psasFu98dU2@mid.individual.net>,
Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 20:24, Woody wrote:
> > I I R C Sony TVs could not get sound on Channel 4?

> There was a problem I recall, when in 1993 C4 moved from their analogue
> distribution using dual channel sound in syncs, to a 34 Mb/s digital
> distribution (also operated by BT) that that led to BT having to provide
> NICAM coders as part of their termination equipment at the transmitter
> sites.

> It was some subtle effect that revolved around the LSB in the NICAM data
> stream, and was something that Sony hadn't taken account of I think ?

> It wasn't that there was no sound, it was far more subtle than that, and
> didn't just affect Sony receivers.

> Some receiver manufacturers had used UK off air NICAM broadcasts to
> develop their decoders, rather than use the full published technical
> spec. So what had worked properly for BBC and IBA broadcasts, suddenly
> didn't when BT bought themselves some more recent equipment.

That also happened years earlier with teletext.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Fire stick

<l1ptukFu98dU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42960&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42960

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:18:36 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:18 UTC

On 29/01/2024 15:08, charles wrote:
> In article <l1psasFu98dU2@mid.individual.net>,
> Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 28/01/2024 20:24, Woody wrote:
>>> I I R C Sony TVs could not get sound on Channel 4?
>
>> There was a problem I recall, when in 1993 C4 moved from their analogue
>> distribution using dual channel sound in syncs, to a 34 Mb/s digital
>> distribution (also operated by BT) that that led to BT having to provide
>> NICAM coders as part of their termination equipment at the transmitter
>> sites.
>
>> It was some subtle effect that revolved around the LSB in the NICAM data
>> stream, and was something that Sony hadn't taken account of I think ?
>
>> It wasn't that there was no sound, it was far more subtle than that, and
>> didn't just affect Sony receivers.
>
>> Some receiver manufacturers had used UK off air NICAM broadcasts to
>> develop their decoders, rather than use the full published technical
>> spec. So what had worked properly for BBC and IBA broadcasts, suddenly
>> didn't when BT bought themselves some more recent equipment.
>
> That also happened years earlier with teletext.

And with PDC. Again manufacturers had used off air broadcasts and not
the specs to develop their products.

I can't remember which way round it was but the BBC used different
commands in the PDC spec, to those used by C4. Nothing invalid for
either broadcaster as far as the official spec was concerned, it just
suited whatever playout system they were using. However some
manufacturers used only one set of codes as observed from one or other
broadcaster which resulted in consumer disappointment.

Re: Fire stick

<upe4o1$1l30r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42965&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42965

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:49:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

Pretty certain that my Samsung remote , the radio one, is using neither of
thus frequencies. My scanner does go up to 1.9999ghz, but what one really
needs is a sniffer that can identify a strong local signal.
Brian

--

--:
"Jonathan" <wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Do you have any advice? Google wasn't much help.
>
> On 28/01/2024 16:26, Woody wrote:
>> On Sun 28/01/2024 15:37, Jonathan wrote:
>>> I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
>>> up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
>>> remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
>>> fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
>>> two devices, so there is no conflict.
>>>

>> Not a frequency issue as, IMSMC, there are only two frequencies allocated
>> for remotes in the UK, 433.92MHz and another around 868MHz.
>>
>> If your Fire stick remote works your TV then the coding of the remote has
>> to be the same as the TV. You need to find out if your TV has the
>> facility to change the coding, for example as Humax products did.

Re: Fire stick

<uqvj4j$1sgkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43046&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43046

From: chrispvholmes@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:55:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:/N0IDgy4RI4JWOPkQkiLBqVUwyQ=
 by: Chris Holmes - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:55 UTC

Jonathan <wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been reduced to buying a fire stick so that I can watch BBC catch
> up as my Sony TV no longer supports i player. Unfortunately fire stick
> remote uses the same frequency as the Sony TV, so I have to unplug the
> fire stick when I don't want to use it. Is there any way to separate the
> two devices, so there is no conflict.
>
> Many thanks, Jonathan.

The equivalent devices by ROKU (which also grant access to their own free
channel) can be controlled by a phone app (presumably via WiFi). Perhaps
the Firestick can too??

The Roku also allows playing of the audio to a smartphone via the app
(useful if you are using a monitor with no audio capability).