Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people. -- Oscar Wilde

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / BBC iPlayer buffering

SubjectAuthor
* BBC iPlayer bufferingTony Gamble
+- Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingDavid Wade
+* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingMikeS
|`* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingTony Gamble
| +- Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingJim Lesurf
| `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingTony Gamble
|  `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingDavey
|   `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingTony Gamble
|    `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingJava Jive
|     `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingTony Gamble
|      `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingJim Lesurf
|       `* Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingDavid Paste
|        +- Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingMax Demian
|        `- Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingJim Lesurf
`- Re: BBC iPlayer bufferingTristan Wibberley

1
BBC iPlayer buffering

<l40ml4FlubiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43095&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43095

From: tonygamble@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: BBC iPlayer buffering
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:29:40 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:29 UTC

My broadband can download at 200mps when requested. I know that from
when I download movies for viewing later.

On Monday we watched the BAFTA Awards on iPlayer and there was frequent
buffering. It happened again last night (Saturday) whilst catching up a
BBC2 prog.

I had accessed iPlayer using the software on my LG Oled tv.

I can also get iPlayer using my Humax PVR but stopped using that route
as someone told me that Humax had some sort of hub it used for on-line
catch up.

My third route is using a Nvidia Shield that contains the Android
iPlayer app. I will see if that reduces the buffering.

I'm posting here as I also wonder if something like iPlayer can get over
saturated with requests. Is this the thin end of the wedge as more and
more of us are being encouraged to use the internet to watch their TV? I
read that Sky are encouraging that so they can eventually abandon their
satellites.

I'm old enough to remember the days when those who needed internet tried
to use it before noon and the East Coast of the USA went online.

Tony G
Ex AR and LWT

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<urgc4h$22dn5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43103&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43103

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: BBC iPlayer buffering
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 21:40:33 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 21:40 UTC

On 25/02/2024 11:29, Tony Gamble wrote:
> My broadband can download at 200mps when requested. I know that from
> when I download movies for viewing later.
>
> On Monday we watched the BAFTA Awards on iPlayer and there was frequent
> buffering. It happened again last night (Saturday) whilst catching up a
> BBC2 prog.
>
> I had accessed iPlayer using the software on my LG Oled tv.
>
> I can also get iPlayer using my Humax PVR but stopped using that route
> as someone told me that Humax had some sort of hub it used for on-line
> catch up.
>
> My third route is using a Nvidia Shield that contains the Android
> iPlayer app. I will see if that reduces the buffering.
>
> I'm posting here as I also wonder if something like iPlayer can get over
> saturated with requests. Is this the thin end of the wedge as more and
> more of us are being encouraged to use the internet to watch their TV? I
> read that Sky are encouraging that so they can eventually abandon their
> satellites.

Of course it can, generally servers, or server farms, are sized to cope
with the current load plus some spare for growth. If demand grows to
exceed supply the wheels fall off..

Of course the internet is a network. Data does not flow directly from
the iPlayer to your PC. If there is a bottleneck anywhere along this
path it will buffer...

> I'm old enough to remember the days when those who needed internet tried
> to use it before noon and the East Coast of the USA went online.

It will improve over time...

Dave

> Tony G
> Ex AR and LWT

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<urit42$2o2ms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43107&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43107

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:42:43 +0000
 by: MikeS - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:42 UTC

On 25/02/2024 11:29, Tony Gamble wrote:
> My broadband can download at 200mps when requested. I know that from
> when I download movies for viewing later.
>
> On Monday we watched the BAFTA Awards on iPlayer and there was frequent
> buffering. It happened again last night (Saturday) whilst catching up a
> BBC2 prog.
>
> I had accessed iPlayer using the software on my LG Oled tv.
>
> I can also get iPlayer using my Humax PVR but stopped using that route
> as someone told me that Humax had some sort of hub it used for on-line
> catch up.
>
> My third route is using a Nvidia Shield that contains the Android
> iPlayer app. I will see if that reduces the buffering.
>
> I'm posting here as I also wonder if something like iPlayer can get over
> saturated with requests. Is this the thin end of the wedge as more and
> more of us are being encouraged to use the internet to watch their TV? I
> read that Sky are encouraging that so they can eventually abandon their
> satellites.
>
> I'm old enough to remember the days when those who needed internet tried
> to use it before noon and the East Coast of the USA went online.
>
> Tony G
> Ex AR and LWT

If you are connecting with WiFi that is the first place to look for a
problem.

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<l46kf2FjgivU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43110&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43110

From: tonygamble@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:29:06 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:29 UTC

On 26/02/2024 20:42, MikeS wrote:
> On 25/02/2024 11:29, Tony Gamble wrote:
>> My broadband can download at 200mps when requested. I know that from
>> when I download movies for viewing later.
>>
>> On Monday we watched the BAFTA Awards on iPlayer and there was
>> frequent buffering. It happened again last night (Saturday) whilst
>> catching up a BBC2 prog.
>>
>> I had accessed iPlayer using the software on my LG Oled tv.
>>
>> I can also get iPlayer using my Humax PVR but stopped using that route
>> as someone told me that Humax had some sort of hub it used for on-line
>> catch up.
>>
>> My third route is using a Nvidia Shield that contains the Android
>> iPlayer app. I will see if that reduces the buffering.
>>
>> I'm posting here as I also wonder if something like iPlayer can get
>> over saturated with requests. Is this the thin end of the wedge as
>> more and more of us are being encouraged to use the internet to watch
>> their TV? I read that Sky are encouraging that so they can eventually
>> abandon their satellites.
>>
>> I'm old enough to remember the days when those who needed internet
>> tried to use it before noon and the East Coast of the USA went online.
>>
>> Tony G
>> Ex AR and LWT
>>
> If you are connecting with WiFi that is the first place to look for a
> problem.

My wifi is running at about 200mps so it ought to handle iPlayer. Thats
5g from my Huawei.

When I look at my LTE H-Monitor I see the graph wavering around 30-50mps
for that sort of accsss. I downloaded a couple of movies yesterday and
it wavered from 250 to 300.

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<5b39b689bdnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43111&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43111

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 24 15:30:03 UTC
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:30 UTC

In article <l46kf2FjgivU1@mid.individual.net>, Tony Gamble
<tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:

> My wifi is running at about 200mps so it ought to handle iPlayer. Thats
> 5g from my Huawei.

> When I look at my LTE H-Monitor I see the graph wavering around 30-50mps
> for that sort of accsss. I downloaded a couple of movies yesterday and
> it wavered from 250 to 300.

Interesting. We get a max of about 50mps in the period before 9am. Slower
during the day. This is fine as I generally use gip to fetch things in the
morning before 9am as I make our breakfasts. Faster that daytime, and
doesn't count towards our useage 'cap'. Never watch x1 rate as it downloads
using the standard streaming.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<l49nvuF3mnmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43112&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43112

From: tonygamble@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:47:41 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:47 UTC

On 27/02/2024 17:29, Tony Gamble wrote:
> On 26/02/2024 20:42, MikeS wrote:
>> On 25/02/2024 11:29, Tony Gamble wrote:
>>> My broadband can download at 200mps when requested. I know that from
>>> when I download movies for viewing later.
>>>
>>> On Monday we watched the BAFTA Awards on iPlayer and there was
>>> frequent buffering. It happened again last night (Saturday) whilst
>>> catching up a BBC2 prog.
>>>
>>> I had accessed iPlayer using the software on my LG Oled tv.
>>>
>>> I can also get iPlayer using my Humax PVR but stopped using that
>>> route as someone told me that Humax had some sort of hub it used for
>>> on-line catch up.
>>>
>>> My third route is using a Nvidia Shield that contains the Android
>>> iPlayer app. I will see if that reduces the buffering.
>>>
>>> I'm posting here as I also wonder if something like iPlayer can get
>>> over saturated with requests. Is this the thin end of the wedge as
>>> more and more of us are being encouraged to use the internet to watch
>>> their TV? I read that Sky are encouraging that so they can eventually
>>> abandon their satellites.
>>>
>>> I'm old enough to remember the days when those who needed internet
>>> tried to use it before noon and the East Coast of the USA went online.
>>>
>>> Tony G
>>> Ex AR and LWT
>>>
>> If you are connecting with WiFi that is the first place to look for a
>> problem.
>
> My wifi is running at about 200mps so it ought to handle iPlayer. Thats
> 5g from my Huawei.
>
> When I look at my LTE H-Monitor I see the graph wavering around 30-50mps
> for that sort of accsss. I downloaded a couple of movies yesterday and
> it wavered from 250 to 300.

Watched YouTube all evening with not one case of buffering.

Same equipment if anyone is thinking of asking.

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<uroeju$4l7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43113&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43113

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:11:56 +0000
 by: Davey - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:11 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:47:41 +0000
Tony Gamble <tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Watched YouTube all evening...
Oh dear.

--
Davey.

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<l4avp2F9b86U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43114&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43114

From: tonygamble@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:06:42 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:06 UTC

On 28/02/2024 23:11, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:47:41 +0000
> Tony Gamble <tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>> Watched YouTube all evening...
>
> Oh dear.

We watehed the movie The Last of the Mohicans and then used YouTube to
look at clips showing how the film was made and also some interviews
with the actors.

Oh dear you say but we find YouTube often more informative and
entertaining than iPlayer.

It also does not buffer!!

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<urpn2b$foqc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43115&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43115

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:42:19 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:42 UTC

On 29/02/2024 09:06, Tony Gamble wrote:

> Oh dear you say but we find YouTube often more informative and
> entertaining than iPlayer.
>
> It also does not buffer!!

It does for me, particularly the rather beautiful but somewhat over
made-up Anna From Ukraine, but I guess that might have something to do
with the war in her country.

However, you can avoid buffering in both by using GetIPlayer and
YouTubeDownloadPlus.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<l4b65hFabp4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43116&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43116

From: tonygamble@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:55:45 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:55 UTC

On 29/02/2024 10:42, Java Jive wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 09:06, Tony Gamble wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear you say but we find YouTube often more informative and
>> entertaining than iPlayer.
>>
>> It also does not buffer!!
>
> It does for me, particularly the rather beautiful but somewhat over
> made-up Anna From Ukraine, but I guess that might have something to do
> with the war in her country.
>
> However, you can avoid buffering in both by using GetIPlayer and
> YouTubeDownloadPlus.

Thanks. I did not know about those two apps.

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<5b3a473a04noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43117&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43117

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 24 10:30:05 UTC
From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:30 UTC

In article <l4b65hFabp4U1@mid.individual.net>, Tony Gamble
<tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:
> > However, you can avoid buffering in both by using GetIPlayer and
> > YouTubeDownloadPlus.
> >
> Thanks. I did not know about those two apps.

That said, GIP users are slightly worried that the changes the BBC
'promise' for March 11th might also upset using GIP. Fingers are crossed. I
guess those who can't see a mobile 'device' screen very well may also be
hit.

I didn't know about YouTubeDownloadPlus. My old YT fetcher stopped working
a while ago and I've not found and set up a useable way to fetch files from
YT. So I'll be interested to see if that runs OK on Linux.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<us2udl$2ns2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43118&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43118

From: pastedavid@gmail.invalid (David Paste)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 22:43:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Paste - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 22:43 UTC

On Fri, 01 Mar 24 10:30:05 UTC, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> I didn't know about YouTubeDownloadPlus. My old YT fetcher stopped
> working a while ago and I've not found and set up a useable way to fetch
> files from YT. So I'll be interested to see if that runs OK on Linux.
>
> Jim

yt-dlp is what I use.

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<us72k3$3oli8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43119&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43119

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 12:19:16 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 12:19 UTC

On 03/03/2024 22:43, David Paste wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Mar 24 10:30:05 UTC, Jim Lesurf wrote:
>
>> I didn't know about YouTubeDownloadPlus. My old YT fetcher stopped
>> working a while ago and I've not found and set up a useable way to fetch
>> files from YT. So I'll be interested to see if that runs OK on Linux.
>>
>> Jim
>
> yt-dlp is what I use.

Microsoft Edge has YouTube downloader extensions. I use Simple YouTube
downloader. Firefox has extensions too.

--
Max Demian

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<5b3cd5d924noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43121&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43121

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 24 12:00:02 UTC
 by: Jim Lesurf - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 12:00 UTC

In article <us2udl$2ns2c$1@dont-email.me>, David Paste
<pastedavid@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Mar 24 10:30:05 UTC, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> > I didn't know about YouTubeDownloadPlus. My old YT fetcher stopped
> > working a while ago and I've not found and set up a useable way to
> > fetch files from YT. So I'll be interested to see if that runs OK on
> > Linux.
> >
> > Jim

> yt-dlp is what I use.

Yes. I did get that some time ago. But then had a problem setting up the
support code libraries it needs. So put it to one side and did other
things. Maybe I should have another try and seek help with the process.

Wasn't fussed as most of my interest is on the iPlayer and gip was my
method of choice. But if gip fails then I guess we may need yt-dlp...
assuming *it* will work if gip can't any more.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

<usqmo1$i01n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43166&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43166

From: tristan.wibberley+netnews2@alumni.manchester.ac.uk (Tristan Wibberley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:59:12 +0000
 by: Tristan Wibberley - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:59 UTC

On 25/02/2024 11:29, Tony Gamble wrote:
> My broadband can download at 200mps when requested. I know that from
> when I download movies for viewing later.
>
> On Monday we watched the BAFTA Awards on iPlayer and there was frequent
> buffering. It happened again last night (Saturday) whilst catching up a
> BBC2 prog.

Just a note that buffering is good, buffering is another name for
readahead but may include cases when the player hasn't specifically
requested the data. The problem is that the data isn't arriving so the
buffer is empty and so the *only* thing that is happening is buffering.
The player tells you its buffering not because the condition of failure
is called buffering but so that you know its not a broken player nor
that the programme has stopped, but that data isn't coming fast enough
for the buffering it does a lot of the time even and especially while
playback is working in order to stay ahead of the playback.

Don't ask any product managers to stop your player from buffering or to
make it buffer less - because then your viewing experience will get
worse as it will have less data buffered ahead of the playback - you
need it to buffer more when your transport is constricted so that the
moments of nonconstriction are used effectively to carry the playback
across to the next nonconstriction.