From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: 'On demand' streamed programmes - no subtitles?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:50:50 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:50 UTC

I'ev just got a new Freeview 'PVR' box. It works fine with normal
off-dish RF signals. It also connects to my router, so I can watch BBC
iPlayer, ITV's X etc - but it appears that no subtitles are ever
available. Is this normal?
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: 'On demand' streamed programmes - no subtitles?

<uri6c5$2io65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43106&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43106

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: 'On demand' streamed programmes - no subtitles?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:14:29 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:14 UTC

On 26/02/2024 13:50, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I'ev just got a new Freeview 'PVR' box. It works fine with normal
> off-dish RF signals. It also connects to my router, so I can watch BBC
> iPlayer, ITV's X etc - but it appears that no subtitles are ever
> available. Is this normal?

I've watched many programmes on iPlayer which are subtitled.

On my Panasonic you can get to the subtitles by using the "up" arrow
twice on the remote's 4-way navigation control. The first press shows
three icons at top left - "Episodes", "Subtitles and Settings, and "+"
("Watchlist"). The second press of the up arrow will highlight
"Episodes". Then use the right arrow to move to "Subtitles". Press the
enter key and the subtitle font size option will appear. Choose whatever
size suits you, then use the "Return" key to get back to the main
screen. Hopefully you will now have subtitles. You can check by pressing
the down arrow when "Subtitles on" should appear at bottom left below
the elapsed time bar.

I can't comment on the other TV streaming services because I'm not
subscribed to any of them.

--

Jeff

Re: 'On demand' streamed programmes - no subtitles?

<Ijqx0YJH3P3lFwEZ@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43108&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43108

From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:08:23 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:08 UTC

In message <uri6c5$2io65$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
<Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 26/02/2024 13:50, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> I'ev just got a new Freeview 'PVR' box. It works fine with normal
>> off-dish RF signals. It also connects to my router, so I can watch BBC
>> iPlayer, ITV's X etc - but it appears that no subtitles are ever
>> available. Is this normal?
>
>I've watched many programmes on iPlayer which are subtitled.
>
>On my Panasonic you can get to the subtitles by using the "up" arrow
>twice on the remote's 4-way navigation control. The first press shows
>three icons at top left - "Episodes", "Subtitles and Settings, and "+"
>("Watchlist"). The second press of the up arrow will highlight
>"Episodes". Then use the right arrow to move to "Subtitles". Press the
>enter key and the subtitle font size option will appear. Choose
>whatever size suits you, then use the "Return" key to get back to the
>main screen. Hopefully you will now have subtitles. You can check by
>pressing the down arrow when "Subtitles on" should appear at bottom
>left below the elapsed time bar.
>
>I can't comment on the other TV streaming services because I'm not
>subscribed to any of them.

Many thanks. I've managed to find the On Demand subtitles for the BBC,
but not ITV X. I'll be trying the other (free) ones later!