From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Netflix ceasing support for Samsung BD-F6500 Blu-Ray player
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:21:55 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:21 UTC

For a while we've had a message that Netflix will "not be supporting
this device from <a date in March>" ... can anyone here explain why, and
whether there's anything that can be done?

Re: Netflix ceasing support for Samsung BD-F6500 Blu-Ray player

<l5e962FnefpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43167&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43167

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:21:53 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:21 UTC

On 12 Mar 2024 17:21, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> For a while we've had a message that Netflix will "not be supporting
> this device from <a date in March>" ... can anyone here explain why, and
> whether there's anything that can be done?

I would imagine the number of users against the cost of maintaining the
code base and/or supporting the users has proven to be not sustainable
within the metrics that Netflix/Samsung wish to pay.

So, I can't imagine anything can be done.

Re: Netflix ceasing support for Samsung BD-F6500 Blu-Ray player

<xn0ojabg52djxqi005@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=43168&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#43168

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:31:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2024 17:21, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> > For a while we've had a message that Netflix will "not be
> > supporting this device from <a date in March>" ... can
> > anyone here explain why, and whether there's anything that
> > can be done?
>
> I would imagine the number of users against the cost of
> maintaining the code base and/or supporting the users has
> proven to be not sustainable within the metrics that
> Netflix/Samsung wish to pay.
>
> So, I can't imagine anything can be done.

Yeah, apart from buying a newer Blu-Ray player I wouldn't think
there's anything that could be done. Netflix would probably say
it's uneconomical to support every single device out there.