Finagle's First Law: If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

SubjectAuthor
* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedRecliner
`* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedSam Wilson
 +* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedCharles Ellson
 |`- Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedMark Goodge
 `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedRecliner
  `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedCharles Ellson
   +- Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedCharles Ellson
   `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedRecliner
    +- Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedGraeme Wall
    `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedMarland
     +* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedAlan Jones
     |`* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedMarland
     | `- Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedRoland Perry
     `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedCharles Ellson
      `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedMarland
       `* Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedBlueshirt
        `- Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailedCharles Ellson

1
Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<u42uvp$3tv1b$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4350&group=uk.transport.london#4350

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:22:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lANpxTdaR+ihZ+9eKkxdshR6K6U=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 17 May 2023 16:22 UTC

Crash video: https://twitter.com/courtnewsuk/status/1658861769190776832

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65564073

A driver who killed a woman when he lost control of his Range Rover and
crashed onto London Underground tracks while "showing off" has been jailed
for seven-and-a-half-years.

Yagmur Ozden, 33, died when the car being driven by Rida Kazem hit a parked
Tesla, near Park Royal Tube station on the A40, and lost control on 22
August.

Kazem, 24, previously admitted causing death by dangerous driving. He also
admitted causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Baghdad-born Ms Ozden, who worked as a beautician, leaves a 13-year-old
daughter, who now lives with her grandmother in north London.

Kazem, of Greenford, west London, will serve at least two-thirds of the
sentence and was also banned from driving for more than 12 years.

Another passenger, Zamarod Arif, who was 26 at the time, was critically
hurt in the incident.
Isleworth Crown Court heard Kazem, who lost the lower part of his left leg
in the crash, had been driving the two women home from a night out, and
that Ms Arif had been the only person in the car wearing a seatbelt.

Gasps and sobs could be heard from Ms Ozden's family as CCTV footage of the
collision was shown to the court.
'I feel alone'

In a victim impact statement, Ms Ozden's daughter, Melek, said she had
"constant daydreams" about her mother dying and was reminded about her
death every time she saw a Range Rover.

"Sometimes I feel alone, even though I have someone else with me. It will
never be the same," she said.

Ms Ozden's sister-in-law, Kirsty Kelly, said the family felt "sick".
"It is unbelievably heart-breaking what we have been going through," she
said.

Surviving passenger Ms Arif told how her life had "completely changed"
following the crash, which has left her "permanently scarred both
physically and mentally."

Kazem's car had hit a speed of 110mph (177km/h) on the westbound A40 near
Ealing, the court heard.

The black Range Rover Sport SVR, valued at £180,000, hit a stationary
Tesla, occupied by a driver who was charging the car, before it lost
control and ended up on the tracks at Park Royal Tube station.

Sentencing Kazem, Judge Martin Edmunds KC said: "The speed and violence of
this unfolding crash is simply horrific, and the Range Rover was reduced to
a mangled heap of metal," the judge said.
"I have no doubt you were showing off to your passengers, both showing off
your powerful car but also what you thought of as your superior driving
skills."

Kazem had previous speeding convictions, including one offence of driving
at 95mph in a 50mph zone, and had been banned from driving for six months
in November 2020.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<u435b2$3unrs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4351&group=uk.transport.london#4351

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 18:10:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nd5DO5jNbzVFJ6PXZNlh7m9JdAo=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 17 May 2023 18:10 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crash video: https://twitter.com/courtnewsuk/status/1658861769190776832
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65564073
>
> A driver who killed a woman when he lost control of his Range Rover and
> crashed onto London Underground tracks while "showing off" has been jailed
> for seven-and-a-half-years.
>
> Yagmur Ozden, 33, died when the car being driven by Rida Kazem hit a parked
> Tesla, near Park Royal Tube station on the A40, and lost control on 22
> August.
>
> Kazem, 24, previously admitted causing death by dangerous driving. He also
> admitted causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
>
> Baghdad-born Ms Ozden, who worked as a beautician, leaves a 13-year-old
> daughter, who now lives with her grandmother in north London.
>
> Kazem, of Greenford, west London, will serve at least two-thirds of the
> sentence and was also banned from driving for more than 12 years.
>
> Another passenger, Zamarod Arif, who was 26 at the time, was critically
> hurt in the incident.
>
> Isleworth Crown Court heard Kazem, who lost the lower part of his left leg
> in the crash, had been driving the two women home from a night out, and
> that Ms Arif had been the only person in the car wearing a seatbelt.
>
> Gasps and sobs could be heard from Ms Ozden's family as CCTV footage of the
> collision was shown to the court.
> 'I feel alone'
>
> In a victim impact statement, Ms Ozden's daughter, Melek, said she had
> "constant daydreams" about her mother dying and was reminded about her
> death every time she saw a Range Rover.
>
> "Sometimes I feel alone, even though I have someone else with me. It will
> never be the same," she said.
>
> Ms Ozden's sister-in-law, Kirsty Kelly, said the family felt "sick".
> "It is unbelievably heart-breaking what we have been going through," she
> said.
>
> Surviving passenger Ms Arif told how her life had "completely changed"
> following the crash, which has left her "permanently scarred both
> physically and mentally."
>
> Kazem's car had hit a speed of 110mph (177km/h) on the westbound A40 near
> Ealing, the court heard.
>
> The black Range Rover Sport SVR, valued at £180,000, hit a stationary
> Tesla, occupied by a driver who was charging the car, before it lost
> control and ended up on the tracks at Park Royal Tube station.
>
> Sentencing Kazem, Judge Martin Edmunds KC said: "The speed and violence of
> this unfolding crash is simply horrific, and the Range Rover was reduced to
> a mangled heap of metal," the judge said.
> "I have no doubt you were showing off to your passengers, both showing off
> your powerful car but also what you thought of as your superior driving
> skills."
>
> Kazem had previous speeding convictions, including one offence of driving
> at 95mph in a 50mph zone, and had been banned from driving for six months
> in November 2020.

“… hit a parked Tesla … and lost control … “
“… hit a stationary Tesla … before it lost control and ended up on the
tracks at Park Royal Tube station.”

I think those statements are factually incorrect. Looking at the video
images of the event it’s clear that the driver lost control well before
hitting the Tesla.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<o47a6id7rtjfqmln927sl2hqahnlcspcp6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4352&group=uk.transport.london#4352

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 19:35:43 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 17 May 2023 18:35 UTC

On Wed, 17 May 2023 18:10:42 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
<ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Sentencing Kazem, Judge Martin Edmunds KC said: "The speed and violence of
>> this unfolding crash is simply horrific, and the Range Rover was reduced to
>> a mangled heap of metal," the judge said.
>> "I have no doubt you were showing off to your passengers, both showing off
>> your powerful car but also what you thought of as your superior driving
>> skills."
>>
>> Kazem had previous speeding convictions, including one offence of driving
>> at 95mph in a 50mph zone, and had been banned from driving for six months
>> in November 2020.
>
>“… hit a parked Tesla … and lost control … “
>“… hit a stationary Tesla … before it lost control and ended up on the
>tracks at Park Royal Tube station.”
>
>I think those statements are factually incorrect. Looking at the video
>images of the event it’s clear that the driver lost control well before

"Banned from driving for more than 12 years" doesn't make much sense
either unless someone has done the maths on e.g. x years starting from
<earliest release date>.
It gives the appearance of someone simply skimming through previous
reports without paying much attention to the detail.

Apart from the speed, there is nothing unusual about this kind of
idiot on the A40 in West London.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<u43hh5$616$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4353&group=uk.transport.london#4353

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 21:38:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3KRMPPJBXG4XJX+wsjNO4HhUIfY=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 17 May 2023 21:38 UTC

> [...]
>>
>> Sentencing Kazem, Judge Martin Edmunds KC said: "The speed and violence of
>> this unfolding crash is simply horrific, and the Range Rover was reduced to
>> a mangled heap of metal," the judge said.
>> "I have no doubt you were showing off to your passengers, both showing off
>> your powerful car but also what you thought of as your superior driving
>> skills."
>>
>> Kazem had previous speeding convictions, including one offence of driving
>> at 95mph in a 50mph zone, and had been banned from driving for six months
>> in November 2020.
>
> “… hit a parked Tesla … and lost control … “
> “… hit a stationary Tesla … before it lost control and ended up on the
> tracks at Park Royal Tube station.”
>
> I think those statements are factually incorrect. Looking at the video
> images of the event it’s clear that the driver lost control well before

Yes, definitely sloppy wording. From another report, he first smashed into
the kerb on the slight right-hand curve at very high speed, and lost the
(presumably front near-side) wheel. After that, the vehicle became
uncontrollable, and as we saw from the video, was soon flying upside down
over the Tesla car park.

Here's two pictures again of the Tube station landing site I took on 30
April:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52864737568/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52858927328/in/album-72177720307897956/lightbox/

You can see the lighter concrete platform slab that was replaced after the
2.5t of car crashed down on to it.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<pdeb6ihb046oehfqmudcarb76gh813m6dm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4354&group=uk.transport.london#4354

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 07:11:48 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 18 May 2023 06:11 UTC

On Wed, 17 May 2023 21:38:45 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> [...]

>>> skills."
>>>
>>> Kazem had previous speeding convictions, including one offence of driving
>>> at 95mph in a 50mph zone, and had been banned from driving for six months
>>> in November 2020.
>>
>> “… hit a parked Tesla … and lost control … “
>> “… hit a stationary Tesla … before it lost control and ended up on the
>> tracks at Park Royal Tube station.”
>>
>> I think those statements are factually incorrect. Looking at the video
>> images of the event it’s clear that the driver lost control well before
>> hitting the Tesla.
>
>Yes, definitely sloppy wording. From another report, he first smashed into
>the kerb on the slight right-hand curve at very high speed, and lost the
>(presumably front near-side) wheel. After that, the vehicle became
>uncontrollable, and as we saw from the video, was soon flying upside down

The Googlewagen has been along the road since the accident and the
damage to the fences can be seen :-
https://goo.gl/maps/BopreMt2ZtdLweTA8
If you look from the east over the newly-replaced and still-missing
fence sections it is somewhat suggestive of the car having approached
along the service road (Dukes Road) and gone over the cycle lane ramp
at the end curve on it (there is a cone where a cycle lane sign should
be which lines up well with the aforementioned damage). There is also
what looks like possible impact damage on the kerb just past the lamp
post beside the Tesla site. If the vehicle had approached on the main
carriageway of the A40 then the height limit advance warning sign
would have been in the way,

>Here's two pictures again of the Tube station landing site I took on 30
>April:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52864737568/
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52858927328/in/album-72177720307897956/lightbox/
>
>You can see the lighter concrete platform slab that was replaced after the
>2.5t of car crashed down on to it.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<csgb6iptpnsptbth4ua6a2n76roq3t1q9p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4355&group=uk.transport.london#4355

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 07:54:52 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 18 May 2023 06:54 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 07:11:48 +0100, Charles Ellson
<charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 May 2023 21:38:45 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> “… hit a parked Tesla … and lost control … “
>>> “… hit a stationary Tesla … before it lost control and ended up on the
>>> tracks at Park Royal Tube station.”
>>>
>>> I think those statements are factually incorrect. Looking at the video
>>> images of the event it’s clear that the driver lost control well before
>>> hitting the Tesla.
>>
>>Yes, definitely sloppy wording. From another report, he first smashed into
>>the kerb on the slight right-hand curve at very high speed, and lost the
>>(presumably front near-side) wheel. After that, the vehicle became
>>uncontrollable, and as we saw from the video, was soon flying upside down
>>over the Tesla car park.
>>
>The Googlewagen has been along the road since the accident and the
>damage to the fences can be seen :-
>https://goo.gl/maps/BopreMt2ZtdLweTA8
>If you look from the east over the newly-replaced and still-missing
>fence sections it is somewhat suggestive of the car having approached
>along the service road (Dukes Road) and gone over the cycle lane ramp
>at the end curve on it (there is a cone where a cycle lane sign should
>be which lines up well with the aforementioned damage). There is also
>what looks like possible impact damage on the kerb just past the lamp
>post beside the Tesla site. If the vehicle had approached on the main
>carriageway of the A40 then the height limit advance warning sign
>would have been in the way,
>
>>Here's two pictures again of the Tube station landing site I took on 30
>>April:
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52864737568/
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52858927328/in/album-72177720307897956/lightbox/
>>
>>You can see the lighter concrete platform slab that was replaced after the
>>2.5t of car crashed down on to it.

There is a reverse view from the station where the pole for the
missing sign can be seen in the background.
https://static.standard.co.uk/2022/08/22/14/2022-08-22T113111Z_1030907826_RC2N1W9VILPE_RTRMADP_3_BRITAIN-CRASH.JPG?width=1200&auto=webp&quality=75
[https://tinyurl.com/ytxu3d5e]

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<u44k5o$754e$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4356&group=uk.transport.london#4356

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 07:30:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kJVl1DXa6abqxz6sMRatH7x8+mc=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 May 2023 07:30 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2023 21:38:45 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> “… hit a parked Tesla … and lost control … “
>>> “… hit a stationary Tesla … before it lost control and ended up on the
>>> tracks at Park Royal Tube station.”
>>>
>>> I think those statements are factually incorrect. Looking at the video
>>> images of the event it’s clear that the driver lost control well before
>>> hitting the Tesla.
>>
>> Yes, definitely sloppy wording. From another report, he first smashed into
>> the kerb on the slight right-hand curve at very high speed, and lost the
>> (presumably front near-side) wheel. After that, the vehicle became
>> uncontrollable, and as we saw from the video, was soon flying upside down
>> over the Tesla car park.
>>
> The Googlewagen has been along the road since the accident and the
> damage to the fences can be seen :-
> https://goo.gl/maps/BopreMt2ZtdLweTA8
> If you look from the east over the newly-replaced and still-missing
> fence sections it is somewhat suggestive of the car having approached
> along the service road (Dukes Road) and gone over the cycle lane ramp
> at the end curve on it (there is a cone where a cycle lane sign should
> be which lines up well with the aforementioned damage). There is also
> what looks like possible impact damage on the kerb just past the lamp
> post beside the Tesla site. If the vehicle had approached on the main
> carriageway of the A40 then the height limit advance warning sign
> would have been in the way,

Yes, you can see the car's route along Duke's Road from the CCTV video.
Clearly, he was going too fast to stay on the main road when he got to the
gentle right-hand curve, and crossed over to Duke's Road. At normal road
speeds, that gentle curve is imperceptible, but clearly not at 110mph.

Not only was he going at nearly three times the speed limit, but I suspect
he wasn't particularly competent at handling the car, and probably had been
taking drugs at the Middle Eastern club (hence his refusal to give a blood
sample). It does raise the question of why a tall, heavy, capable off-road
vehicle with soft, long travel suspension needs that kind of extreme
performance? It was a Range Rover Sport SVR (0-62mph 4.5sec, top speed
174mph).

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<u44lln$79pn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4357&group=uk.transport.london#4357

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 08:55:35 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 18 May 2023 07:55 UTC

Very simple, it sells.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<kcm854Fab5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4358&group=uk.transport.london#4358

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: 18 May 2023 09:06:45 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 18 May 2023 09:06 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not only was he going at nearly three times the speed limit, but I suspect
> he wasn't particularly competent at handling the car, and probably had been
> taking drugs at the Middle Eastern club (hence his refusal to give a blood
> sample). It does raise the question of why a tall, heavy, capable off-road
> vehicle with soft, long travel suspension needs that kind of extreme
> performance? It was a Range Rover Sport SVR (0-62mph 4.5sec, top speed
> 174mph).

They and similar vehicles don’t need it, no one actually has to be driving
at 150 in a Porche Cayenne across a muddy field , but they they do appeal
to show offs so manufactures can milk their wallets
and some ethnic minorities contain a lot of them as it is a cultural thing
to exhibit your wealth.

An annoying thing is that eventually this person of foreign heritage whose
other aspect pf their culture is to be selfish and ignore laws that are
there for the common good will when they get out of prison will probably be
entitled to a disability blue badge, I’m sure the relative or friend that
initially will have to drive them around will find that very useful and
never abuse it.

GH

GH

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<2809153b-1fd0-898e-a963-bd59a7098394@exospan.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4359&group=uk.transport.london#4359

From: ajnews@exospan.com (Alan Jones)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 10:23:41 +0100
 by: Alan Jones - Thu, 18 May 2023 09:23 UTC

On 18/05/2023 10:06, Marland wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not only was he going at nearly three times the speed limit, but I suspect
>> he wasn't particularly competent at handling the car, and probably had been
>> taking drugs at the Middle Eastern club (hence his refusal to give a blood
>> sample). It does raise the question of why a tall, heavy, capable off-road
>> vehicle with soft, long travel suspension needs that kind of extreme
>> performance? It was a Range Rover Sport SVR (0-62mph 4.5sec, top speed
>> 174mph).
>>

> They and similar vehicles don’t need it, no one actually has to be driving
> at 150 in a Porche Cayenne across a muddy field , but they they do appeal
> to show offs so manufactures can milk their wallets
> and some ethnic minorities contain a lot of them as it is a cultural thing
> to exhibit your wealth.
>
> An annoying thing is that eventually this person of foreign heritage whose
> other aspect pf their culture is to be selfish and ignore laws that are
> there for the common good will when they get out of prison will probably be
> entitled to a disability blue badge, I’m sure the relative or friend that
> initially will have to drive them around will find that very useful and
> never abuse it.
>
> GH

I'll wager you're not a blue badge holder.

But then people like you never are.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<fo2c6ilhomcspvq9t8p7hhmfsiou126msc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4360&group=uk.transport.london#4360

From: usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 12:40:54 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Thu, 18 May 2023 11:40 UTC

On Wed, 17 May 2023 19:35:43 +0100, Charles Ellson
<charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>"Banned from driving for more than 12 years" doesn't make much sense
>either unless someone has done the maths on e.g. x years starting from
><earliest release date>.
>It gives the appearance of someone simply skimming through previous
>reports without paying much attention to the detail.

The actual sentence is readily available online. I do find it mildly
annoying that media reports can't be bothered to link to it, or that Usenet
and social media commenters can't be bothered to Google it before
commenting. But, there you go.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/R-v-Kazem-sentencing-170523.pdf
or https://tinyurl.com/29wzyux9

Anyway, the driving ban is for 8 years primary disqualification plus an
additional 5 years extension due to the custodial sentence. This is reduced
by the period on remand (19 weeks), so the actual disqualification period is
12 years 33 weeks. See paragraph 9.6 of the sentencing document.
So "more than 12 years" is a accurate summary. I don't think media reports
need to go into any greater levels of precision. But I do think they should
link to the sentencing document so that people who want the precise details
can easily view them.

For those wondering why the extension is five years less the time on remand,
that's because it's the same as the minimum term the offender will need to
serve before he can be released on licence. See the Road Traffic Offenders
Act 1988 section 35A.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/53/section/35A

Mark

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<kcmk20Fc55rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4361&group=uk.transport.london#4361

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: 18 May 2023 12:29:52 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 18 May 2023 12:29 UTC

Alan Jones <ajnews@exospan.com> wrote:
> On 18/05/2023 10:06, Marland wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Not only was he going at nearly three times the speed limit, but I suspect
>>> he wasn't particularly competent at handling the car, and probably had been
>>> taking drugs at the Middle Eastern club (hence his refusal to give a blood
>>> sample). It does raise the question of why a tall, heavy, capable off-road
>>> vehicle with soft, long travel suspension needs that kind of extreme
>>> performance? It was a Range Rover Sport SVR (0-62mph 4.5sec, top speed
>>> 174mph).
>>>

>> They and similar vehicles don’t need it, no one actually has to be driving
>> at 150 in a Porche Cayenne across a muddy field , but they they do appeal
>> to show offs so manufactures can milk their wallets
>> and some ethnic minorities contain a lot of them as it is a cultural thing
>> to exhibit your wealth.
>>
>> An annoying thing is that eventually this person of foreign heritage whose
>> other aspect pf their culture is to be selfish and ignore laws that are
>> there for the common good will when they get out of prison will probably be
>> entitled to a disability blue badge, I’m sure the relative or friend that
>> initially will have to drive them around will find that very useful and
>> never abuse it.
>>
>> GH
>
> I'll wager you're not a blue badge holder.
>
> But then people like you never are.

My mother is and is wheelchair bound so I am well aware of the issues and
abuses that surround them ,and that includes the the selfishness of some
holders who have an able bodied driver
who could easily drop the holder off close to a store door and then go park
in a normal bay but instead occupy a disabled bay which often means that
someone who is disabled but driving themselves finds the allocated bays all
occupied.

But my post was really aimed at the driver in the incident who we now know
has been convicted of similar offences before but hasn’t cared a jot and
carried on as before cocking a snoot at society,
but due to his self inflicted injury will be able to take advantage of a
benefit granted by said society and giving they have a penchant for law
breaking will likely abuse it.

By your post I take it you are a holder or are familiar , nice to know to
are so willing to support an arrogant lawbreaking driver just because their
action and self inflicted injury entitles them to join your “club”.

GH

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<54uc6i5u702f3fr7dmtg72ukr8adph357k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4362&group=uk.transport.london#4362

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 20:13:18 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 18 May 2023 19:13 UTC

On 18 May 2023 09:06:45 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not only was he going at nearly three times the speed limit, but I suspect
>> he wasn't particularly competent at handling the car, and probably had been
>> taking drugs at the Middle Eastern club (hence his refusal to give a blood
>> sample). It does raise the question of why a tall, heavy, capable off-road
>> vehicle with soft, long travel suspension needs that kind of extreme
>> performance? It was a Range Rover Sport SVR (0-62mph 4.5sec, top speed
>> 174mph).
>>

>They and similar vehicles don’t need it, no one actually has to be driving
>at 150 in a Porche Cayenne across a muddy field , but they they do appeal
>to show offs so manufactures can milk their wallets
>and some ethnic minorities contain a lot of them as it is a cultural thing
>to exhibit your wealth.
>
>An annoying thing is that eventually this person of foreign heritage whose
>other aspect pf their culture is to be selfish and ignore laws that are
>there for the common good will when they get out of prison will probably be
>entitled to a disability blue badge, I’m sure the relative or friend that
>initially will have to drive them around will find that very useful and
>never abuse it.

Merely missing a leg doesn't qualify you for a Blue Badge.

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<kcndb6Fg339U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4363&group=uk.transport.london#4363

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: 18 May 2023 19:41:26 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 18 May 2023 19:41 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2023 09:06:45 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> An annoying thing is that eventually this person of foreign heritage whose
>> other aspect pf their culture is to be selfish and ignore laws that are
>> there for the common good will when they get out of prison will probably be
>> entitled to a disability blue badge, I’m sure the relative or friend that
>> initially will have to drive them around will find that very useful and
>> never abuse it.
>>
> Merely missing a leg doesn't qualify you for a Blue Badge.

Which is why I said probably rather than would.

But having a limb missing will give him a good starting point for the
application.

GH

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<u4637a$ce7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4364&group=uk.transport.london#4364

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 20:52:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 18 May 2023 20:52 UTC

Marland wrote:

> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 18 May 2023 09:06:45 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> An annoying thing is that eventually this person of foreign
> >> heritage whose other aspect pf their culture is to be selfish and
> >> ignore laws that are there for the common good will when they get
> >> out of prison will probably be entitled to a disability blue
> >> badge, I’m sure the relative or friend that initially will have to
> >> drive them around will find that very useful and never abuse it.
> >>
> > Merely missing a leg doesn't qualify you for a Blue Badge.
>
> Which is why I said probably rather than would.
>
> But having a limb missing will give him a good starting point for the
> application.

I suppose if I said it would give them a leg-up with their application,
it would be in bad taste...

Although it would!

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<jbsd6itvu5m01ptlaliiievb66o8bvne6k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4365&group=uk.transport.london#4365

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 04:50:09 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 19 May 2023 03:50 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 20:52:58 -0000 (UTC), "Blueshirt"
<blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>Marland wrote:
>
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> > Merely missing a leg doesn't qualify you for a Blue Badge.
>>
>> Which is why I said probably rather than would.
>>
>> But having a limb missing will give him a good starting point for the
>> application.

Not inevitably. Depending on the nature of the illness/injury, it
might actually make someone more mobile and thus less likely to
qualify for benefits.

>I suppose if I said it would give them a leg-up with their application,
>it would be in bad taste...
>
>Although it would!

Re: Park Royal fatal car crash driver jailed

<65xs$wmebwZkFA3K@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4366&group=uk.transport.london#4366

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:19:26 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 19 May 2023 05:19 UTC

In message <kcmk20Fc55rU1@mid.individual.net>, at 12:29:52 on Thu, 18
May 2023, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

>My mother is and is wheelchair bound so I am well aware of the issues
>and abuses that surround them ,and that includes the the selfishness
>of some holders who have an able bodied driver who could easily drop
>the holder off close to a store door and then go park in a normal bay
>but instead occupy a disabled bay which often means that someone who is
>disabled but driving themselves finds the allocated bays all occupied.

It's a difficult one. I would agree with you if it was a store that had
a drop-off bay, and somewhere for the disabled person to wait for the
driver's return (so they can push the wheelchair round the shop). And
then do it all in reverse at the end.

But I take such a person to hospital frequently (at least on average
once a week) and the problem is that the "normal bays" are only
available in a multi-storey some distance away, and on average it takes
20 minutes to drive there, circle round and round and round and round
looking for a space, then park and walk back to the entrance to collect
the wheelchair patient to then push them to wherever their appointment
is.

Coming back is the same, plus the time required to pay the parking fee.

If they've had radiotherapy, by the time you get back they'll be
throwing up everywhere.

The icing on the cake is that the pick-up/drop-off spaces are very
likely to be full of non-emergency ambulances, whose staff clearly
don't subscribe to the 40 minute "drop-off tax".
--
Roland Perry