From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: IOW trains size
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 09:36:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 9 May 2023 09:36 UTC

Just found this picture showing the difference in size between the new and old
tube stock on the island. Something doesn't look right here, the D stock
should be much higher:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_484#/media/File:484001_and_4830
09_at_Ryde_Traincare.jpg

Is it the camera angle or are those sidings different heights?

This is what the height difference should be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge#/media/File:London_Underground_subsu
rface_and_tube_trains.jpg

Re: IOW trains size

<u3d852$83na$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4647&group=uk.transport.london#4647

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: IOW trains size
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 11:43:46 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 9 May 2023 10:43 UTC

On 09/05/2023 10:36, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> Just found this picture showing the difference in size between the new and old
> tube stock on the island. Something doesn't look right here, the D stock
> should be much higher:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_484#/media/File:484001_and_4830
> 09_at_Ryde_Traincare.jpg
>
> Is it the camera angle or are those sidings different heights?
>
> This is what the height difference should be:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge#/media/File:London_Underground_subsu
> rface_and_tube_trains.jpg

Didn't they lower the suspension on the D-Stock (see Ryde tunnel)?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: IOW trains size

<u3d8r4$871i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4648&group=uk.transport.london#4648

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 10:55:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+2V6KwESlP28d0Pw/tyNpXk8dVI=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 9 May 2023 10:55 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/05/2023 10:36, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Just found this picture showing the difference in size between the new and old
>> tube stock on the island. Something doesn't look right here, the D stock
>> should be much higher:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_484#/media/File:484001_and_4830
>> 09_at_Ryde_Traincare.jpg
>>
>> Is it the camera angle or are those sidings different heights?
>>
>> This is what the height difference should be:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge#/media/File:London_Underground_subsu
>> rface_and_tube_trains.jpg
>>

> Didn't they lower the suspension on the D-Stock (see Ryde tunnel)?

A little, but not by that much. And is that lowered compared to when in LU
service, or lowered compared to other Vivarail trains, which IIRC have
higher ride height than when in LU service?

I think the effect in the photo above is a combination of different track
heights that the two trains are standing on, and the angle from which the
photograph is taken.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: IOW trains size

<u3d9e7$83na$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4649&group=uk.transport.london#4649

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 12:05:43 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 9 May 2023 11:05 UTC

On 09/05/2023 11:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 09/05/2023 10:36, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> Just found this picture showing the difference in size between the new and old
>>> tube stock on the island. Something doesn't look right here, the D stock
>>> should be much higher:
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_484#/media/File:484001_and_4830
>>> 09_at_Ryde_Traincare.jpg
>>>
>>> Is it the camera angle or are those sidings different heights?
>>>
>>> This is what the height difference should be:
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge#/media/File:London_Underground_subsu
>>> rface_and_tube_trains.jpg
>>>

>> Didn't they lower the suspension on the D-Stock (see Ryde tunnel)?
>>

> A little, but not by that much. And is that lowered compared to when in LU
> service, or lowered compared to other Vivarail trains, which IIRC have
> higher ride height than when in LU service?
>
> I think the effect in the photo above is a combination of different track
> heights that the two trains are standing on, and the angle from which the
> photograph is taken.

Certainly the camera angle and position are having an effect but there
can't be much of a difference in track level. The EXIF data from the
image has been wiped so I can't work out how much is due to lens distortion.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: IOW trains size

<kbv9tiFjifiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4651&group=uk.transport.london#4651

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: 9 May 2023 16:15:46 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 9 May 2023 16:15 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> Just found this picture showing the difference in size between the new and old
> tube stock on the island. Something doesn't look right here, the D stock
> should be much higher:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_484#/media/File:484001_and_4830
> 09_at_Ryde_Traincare.jpg
>
> Is it the camera angle or are those sidings different heights?

Some of the sidings do lead to raised tracks areas of the workshop so the
tube unit could be on one of those where the gradient has started.

GH