The absent ones are always at fault.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

SubjectAuthor
* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
+* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaMark Carver
|+* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaWoody
||`* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaTweed
|| `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
||  `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
||   +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaTheo
||   |`* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaBrian Gregory
||   | `- Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
||   +- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaBob Eager
||   +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaRoger Mills
||   |`- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
||   +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris in Makati
||   |+- Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
||   |`- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
||   `- Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
|`* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
| +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaMark Carver
| |`* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris in Makati
| | `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaWoody
| |  `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaMark Carver
| |   `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
| |    `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaMark Carver
| |     `- Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
| `- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaTheo
`* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaMark
 `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
  +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
  |`* Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
  | `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaWoody
  |  `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaRichmond
  |   `* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaWoody
  |    +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaRichmond
  |    |`- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
  |    +- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaMark
  |    +* Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaNick Finnigan
  |    |`- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaChris Green
  |    `- Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australianotya...@gmail.com
  `- Recommendations for SIM for two months in AustraliaTheo

Pages:12
Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<jk91jj-i32t2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4653&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4653

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 09:23:15 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 12 May 2023 08:23 UTC

My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
needs to keep in touch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
good short term deal while she's over there? She needs calls, SMS and
some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<kc6eaqFmdrmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4654&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4654

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:14:02 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:14 UTC

On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
> My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
> needs to keep in touch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
> good short term deal while she's over there? She needs calls, SMS and
> some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).

What UK network is she with. Might be cheaper to ask them if they have
any blot on allowances. For instance I'm with EE and for 10 quid a month
extra I can get inclusive calls, texts, and data in Oz, USA, Canada etc.

Who is she planning to SMS and call from Oz, the UK, or local numbers.
Remember a local SIM will charge 50p a shot for SMS to the UK, and
something like a quid a min for calls. Also anyone calling her from the
UK will get clobbered too.

PAYG SIMs seem pricy in Oz ?
https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<u3l41f$1h3m2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4655&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4655

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:22:38 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 12 May 2023 10:22 UTC

On Fri 12/05/2023 10:14, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
>> My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
>> needs to keep in touch.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a
>> good short term deal while she's over there?  She needs calls, SMS and
>> some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).
>>
> What UK network is she with. Might be cheaper to ask them if they have
> any blot on allowances. For instance I'm with EE and for 10 quid a month
> extra I can get inclusive calls, texts, and data in Oz, USA, Canada etc.
>
> Who is she planning to SMS and call from Oz, the UK, or local numbers.
> Remember a local SIM will charge 50p a shot for SMS to the UK, and
> something like a quid a min for calls. Also anyone calling her from the
> UK will get clobbered too.
>
> PAYG SIMs seem pricy in Oz ?
> https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

Find free wi-fi, use that, and communicate through WhatsApp and their
chat facility. WA is free and end to end encrypted.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<u3l48m$1h60j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4656&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4656

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:26:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9Lxyp9ExGVVvyyBYuA/xx+iUXQo=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 12 May 2023 10:26 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri 12/05/2023 10:14, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
>>> My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
>>> needs to keep in touch.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a
>>> good short term deal while she's over there?  She needs calls, SMS and
>>> some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).
>>>
>> What UK network is she with. Might be cheaper to ask them if they have
>> any blot on allowances. For instance I'm with EE and for 10 quid a month
>> extra I can get inclusive calls, texts, and data in Oz, USA, Canada etc.
>>
>> Who is she planning to SMS and call from Oz, the UK, or local numbers.
>> Remember a local SIM will charge 50p a shot for SMS to the UK, and
>> something like a quid a min for calls. Also anyone calling her from the
>> UK will get clobbered too.
>>
>> PAYG SIMs seem pricy in Oz ?
>> https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates
>
> Find free wi-fi, use that, and communicate through WhatsApp and their
> chat facility. WA is free and end to end encrypted.

Great until someone needs to get in contact with you urgently, eg a family
emergency. No inbound calls unless you are attached to WiFi.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<07h1jj-g1ht2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4657&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4657

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:32:32 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 12 May 2023 10:32 UTC

Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
> > My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
> > needs to keep in touch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
> > good short term deal while she's over there? She needs calls, SMS and
> > some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).
> >
> What UK network is she with. Might be cheaper to ask them if they have
> any blot on allowances. For instance I'm with EE and for 10 quid a month
> extra I can get inclusive calls, texts, and data in Oz, USA, Canada etc.

idMobile who have no roaming addons for Australia (very good for EU
though).

> Who is she planning to SMS and call from Oz, the UK, or local numbers.
> Remember a local SIM will charge 50p a shot for SMS to the UK, and
> something like a quid a min for calls. Also anyone calling her from the
> UK will get clobbered too.

Mostly she will be wanting to call/SMS to us in the UK.

> PAYG SIMs seem pricy in Oz ?
> https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

Yes! :-(

It may be that the best plan is to turn roaming data off and use
WhatsApp (or whatever) over WiFi for outgoing calls. Presumably if
roaming is on then incoming calls won't cost more than normal at
either end will they? (i.e. calling her UK number from the UK)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<kc6nd9FmdrmU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4658&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4658

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 12:48:57 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 12 May 2023 11:48 UTC

On 12/05/2023 11:32, Chris Green wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
>>> My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
>>> needs to keep in touch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
>>> good short term deal while she's over there? She needs calls, SMS and
>>> some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).
>>>
>> What UK network is she with. Might be cheaper to ask them if they have
>> any blot on allowances. For instance I'm with EE and for 10 quid a month
>> extra I can get inclusive calls, texts, and data in Oz, USA, Canada etc.
>>
> idMobile who have no roaming addons for Australia (very good for EU
> though).
>

>> Who is she planning to SMS and call from Oz, the UK, or local numbers.
>> Remember a local SIM will charge 50p a shot for SMS to the UK, and
>> something like a quid a min for calls. Also anyone calling her from the
>> UK will get clobbered too.
>>
> Mostly she will be wanting to call/SMS to us in the UK.
>

>> PAYG SIMs seem pricy in Oz ?
>> https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates
> Yes! :-(
>

> It may be that the best plan is to turn roaming data off and use
> WhatsApp (or whatever) over WiFi for outgoing calls. Presumably if
> roaming is on then incoming calls won't cost more than normal at
> either end will they? (i.e. calling her UK number from the UK)

Receiving incoming SMSes from UK (or anywhere else) will be free. For
the senders they will cost (or not cost )any different to if she was in
the UK.
Calls to her will be the same cost for the senders too, but she will pay
a fortune (1 to 2 quid a min) to receive them. However, fine for
emergencies.
Make sure she completely disables mobile data before getting on the plane !

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<L3D*-w5fz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4660&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4660

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 12 May 2023 16:10:53 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 12 May 2023 15:10 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> It may be that the best plan is to turn roaming data off and use
> WhatsApp (or whatever) over WiFi for outgoing calls. Presumably if
> roaming is on then incoming calls won't cost more than normal at
> either end will they? (i.e. calling her UK number from the UK)

It might also be worth considering an eSIM, eg:
https://www.airalo.com/australia-esim
https://esimaustralia.com/product/esim-australia-fixed-plans/
https://esim.holafly.com/esim-australia/
(needs an eSIM capable phone, eg iPhones XS/XR or later)

They're only data SIMs, but you can then run WhatsApp or any other VOIP over
the data connection - eg she could get a UK number from Skype or a SIP
provider for incoming calls from the UK.

Theo

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<9igu5itgm4tl1jtv7bb1cte6uul3uek1cf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4665&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4665

From: mail@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 09:04:42 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Sat, 13 May 2023 08:04 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 12:48:57 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Make sure she completely disables mobile data before getting on the plane !

Be careful, because even with mobile data turned off I've had charges
on my bill for roaming data.

It seems that after restarting some phones it's still possible for a
few bytes of data to be passed across the network. I've seen this
reported on various forums on the internet, so it wasn't just me. The
problem is that even a small amount of data was enough to trigger a
daily charge for data roaming by my home network.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<u3npj0$22rq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4666&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4666

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 11:42:39 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 13 May 2023 10:42 UTC

On Sat 13/05/2023 09:04, Chris in Makati wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2023 12:48:57 +0100, Mark Carver
> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Make sure she completely disables mobile data before getting on the plane !
>
> Be careful, because even with mobile data turned off I've had charges
> on my bill for roaming data.
>
> It seems that after restarting some phones it's still possible for a
> few bytes of data to be passed across the network. I've seen this
> reported on various forums on the internet, so it wasn't just me. The
> problem is that even a small amount of data was enough to trigger a
> daily charge for data roaming by my home network.

Simple answer is to set the phone into aeroplane mode which switches off
GSM, wi-fi and Bluetooth, then manually turn wi-fi back on again. That
way no data can be sent - period.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<e8395301-5ed0-436a-9c0f-f2a79e3d218an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4667&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4667

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 03:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sat, 13 May 2023 10:56 UTC

On Friday, 12 May 2023 at 11:28:18 UTC+1, Tweed wrote:
> Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >> What UK network is she with. Might be cheaper to ask them if they have
> >> any blot on allowances. For instance I'm with EE and for 10 quid a month
> >> extra I can get inclusive calls, texts, and data in Oz, USA, Canada etc.
> >>
> >> Who is she planning to SMS and call from Oz, the UK, or local numbers.
> >> Remember a local SIM will charge 50p a shot for SMS to the UK, and
> >> something like a quid a min for calls. Also anyone calling her from the
> >> UK will get clobbered too.
> >>
> >> PAYG SIMs seem pricy in Oz ?
> >> https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates
> >
> > Find free wi-fi, use that, and communicate through WhatsApp and their
> > chat facility. WA is free and end to end encrypted.
> >
> Great until someone needs to get in contact with you urgently, eg a family
> emergency. No inbound calls unless you are attached to WiFi.

Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.

I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<eoe4jj-9bc33.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4673&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4673

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 14:09:02 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 13 May 2023 13:09 UTC

notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 12 May 2023 at 11:28:18 UTC+1, Tweed wrote:
> > Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > > Find free wi-fi, use that, and communicate through WhatsApp and their
> > > chat facility. WA is free and end to end encrypted.
> > >
> > Great until someone needs to get in contact with you urgently, eg a family
> > emergency. No inbound calls unless you are attached to WiFi.
>
> Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.

With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.

> I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone
> can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)

How does that help my wife when in Australia?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<L3D*gs+fz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4674&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4674

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 13 May 2023 14:35:21 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 13 May 2023 13:35 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
> >
> With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
> pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.
>

> > I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone
> > can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)
>
> How does that help my wife when in Australia?

With the above problem. Run a VOIP app on your phone and you're callable
via the UK number the VOIP provider issued you anywhere you have mobile
data.

Although I wouldn't use an 056 number for that, as it might be expensive or
awkward for people to call it. A UK 01/02/03/07 number would be better, and
callable from inclusive minutes in the UK, but costs a few pounds a month.

Some of them can also do SMS, especially the 07 numbers.

They are handy when combined with a data-only eSIM, because you can set it
all up before you go - no faffing trying to find somebody to sell you a SIM
card when you land.

Theo

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<kc9ip1F5s7dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4675&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4675

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 14:48:17 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 13 May 2023 13:48 UTC

On 13/05/2023 14:35, Theo wrote:
> With the above problem. Run a VOIP app on your phone and you're callable
> via the UK number the VOIP provider issued you anywhere you have mobile
> data.
>
> Although I wouldn't use an 056 number for that, as it might be expensive or
> awkward for people to call it. A UK 01/02/03/07 number would be better, and
> callable from inclusive minutes in the UK, but costs a few pounds a month.
>
> Some of them can also do SMS, especially the 07 numbers.
>
> They are handy when combined with a data-only eSIM, because you can set it
> all up before you go - no faffing trying to find somebody to sell you a SIM
> card when you land.
>
> Theo

VoIP through 3G/4G can be appallingly bad when the network is congested.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<kc9kdpFd86kU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4676&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4676

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 13 May 2023 14:16:25 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 13 May 2023 14:16 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 14:09:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

>> I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone
>> can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)
>
> How does that help my wife when in Australia?

Because the Internet is everywhere. It's no different from calling via
next door's router.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<kc9l0pF6m8jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4677&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4677

From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 15:26:32 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sat, 13 May 2023 14:26 UTC

On 13/05/2023 14:09, Chris Green wrote:
> notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Great until someone needs to get in contact with you urgently, eg a family
>>> emergency. No inbound calls unless you are attached to WiFi.
>>
>> Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
>>
> With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
> pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.
>

>> I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone
>> can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)
>
> How does that help my wife when in Australia?

Because anyone calling her from the Uk can call a UK number and the call
will be received on her mobile as long as she has a data connection.

As an alternative, when I was in Australia a few years ago, I bought a
SIM from Amaysim - which represented quite good value. they are still
doing deals such as
https://www.amaysim.com.au/plans/28-day-sim-plans/unlimited-medium/
which provide unlimited calls and texts in Australia as well as to lots
of other countries - including UK.

that worked very well. I was able to get the SIM and set up an account
before I travelled by get an Australian relative to buy it and post it
to me. I couldn't actually use it though until Amaysim were able to
check the immigration records (available online within minutes of
arriving) to verify that I was actually in Australia.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<jbr4jj-pv443.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4681&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4681

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 17:44:03 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 13 May 2023 16:44 UTC

Roger Mills <mills37.fslife@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/2023 14:09, Chris Green wrote:
> > notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
> >>
> > With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
> > pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.
> >

> >> I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone
> >> can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)
> >
> > How does that help my wife when in Australia?
> >

> Because anyone calling her from the Uk can call a UK number and the call
> will be received on her mobile as long as she has a data connection.

Yes, OK a 'VOIP app' on the phone would work (I use AandA already for
VOIP and I have numbers at SipGate and SIPDiscount). However it's not
a simple solution for my wife, changed number, etc.

> As an alternative, when I was in Australia a few years ago, I bought a
> SIM from Amaysim - which represented quite good value. they are still
> doing deals such as
> https://www.amaysim.com.au/plans/28-day-sim-plans/unlimited-medium/
> which provide unlimited calls and texts in Australia as well as to lots
> of other countries - including UK.
>
> that worked very well. I was able to get the SIM and set up an account
> before I travelled by get an Australian relative to buy it and post it
> to me. I couldn't actually use it though until Amaysim were able to
> check the immigration records (available online within minutes of
> arriving) to verify that I was actually in Australia.

That sounds useful, thanks.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<kc9tatF84jmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4682&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4682

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 17:48:30 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 13 May 2023 16:48 UTC

On 13/05/2023 11:42, Woody wrote:
> On Sat 13/05/2023 09:04, Chris in Makati wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 May 2023 12:48:57 +0100, Mark Carver
>> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Make sure she completely disables mobile data before getting on the
>>> plane !
>>
>> Be careful, because even with mobile data turned off I've had charges
>> on my bill for roaming data.
>>
>> It seems that after restarting some phones it's still possible for a
>> few bytes of data to be passed across the network. I've seen this
>> reported on various forums on the internet, so it wasn't just me. The
>> problem is that even a small amount of data was enough to trigger a
>> daily charge for data roaming by my home network.
>>

> Simple answer is to set the phone into aeroplane mode which switches
> off GSM, wi-fi and Bluetooth, then manually turn wi-fi back on again.
> That way no data can be sent - period.
Then how will Mrs Green be connected should someone send her an
emergency SMS or call from the UK ?

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<m0716ilknl2cs1bb3vel3m6acqirav3etp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4683&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4683

From: mail@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 09:36:49 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Sun, 14 May 2023 08:36 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 14:09:02 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>> Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
>>
>With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
>pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.

But that problem still exists whatever she does. If she has a UK
number then her contacts in Australia will pay a lot as they'll be
calling a UK number.

So the question is, is she likely to be receiving more calls from the
UK or from Australia while she's there?

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<5686b665-b217-4b69-b9f8-db52da9b6c67n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4687&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4687

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 05:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:45 UTC

On Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 14:48:20 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 13/05/2023 14:35, Theo wrote:
> > With the above problem. Run a VOIP app on your phone and you're callable
> > via the UK number the VOIP provider issued you anywhere you have mobile
> > data.
> >
> > Although I wouldn't use an 056 number for that, as it might be expensive or
> > awkward for people to call it. A UK 01/02/03/07 number would be better, and
> > callable from inclusive minutes in the UK, but costs a few pounds a month.
> >
> > Some of them can also do SMS, especially the 07 numbers.
> >
> > They are handy when combined with a data-only eSIM, because you can set it
> > all up before you go - no faffing trying to find somebody to sell you a SIM
> > card when you land.
> >
> > Theo
> VoIP through 3G/4G can be appallingly bad when the network is congested.
>
> --
> Brian Gregory (in England).

True, but it is usually better.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<04e1403a-add5-41a0-a96b-570c5ddfdd40n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4688&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4688

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 05:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:49 UTC

On Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 17:50:46 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 13/05/2023 11:42, Woody wrote:
> > On Sat 13/05/2023 09:04, Chris in Makati wrote:

> >> Be careful, because even with mobile data turned off I've had charges
> >> on my bill for roaming data.
> >>
> >> It seems that after restarting some phones it's still possible for a
> >> few bytes of data to be passed across the network. I've seen this
> >> reported on various forums on the internet, so it wasn't just me. The
> >> problem is that even a small amount of data was enough to trigger a
> >> daily charge for data roaming by my home network.
> >>

> > Simple answer is to set the phone into aeroplane mode which switches
> > off GSM, wi-fi and Bluetooth, then manually turn wi-fi back on again.
> > That way no data can be sent - period.
> Then how will Mrs Green be connected should someone send her an
> emergency SMS or call from the UK ?

Just turn off mobile data. SMS (but not MMS) still works. Voip calls will still work over Wi-Fi and you could set up a divert or notification for missed calls on your mobile. If you need 24/7 incoming then you will need to leave the phone on and undiverted..

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<06758ed9-79d0-447e-b3e0-b93970d2adf3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4689&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4689

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 05:50:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:50 UTC

On Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 09:38:30 UTC+1, Chris in Makati wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2023 14:09:02 +0100, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> >> Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
> >>
> >With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
> >pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.
> But that problem still exists whatever she does. If she has a UK
> number then her contacts in Australia will pay a lot as they'll be
> calling a UK number.
>
> So the question is, is she likely to be receiving more calls from the
> UK or from Australia while she's there?

Give the UK contacts the UK number and the OZ contacts the Oz mobile number.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<a7667275-a23f-47a6-8584-f02e54b2468en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4690&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4690

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 05:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:52 UTC

On Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 14:18:07 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
> notya...@gmail.com <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Great until someone needs to get in contact with you urgently, eg a family
> > > emergency. No inbound calls unless you are attached to WiFi.
> >
> > Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
> >
> With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
> pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.
> > I would recommend a VoIP number (e.g. [free] from Voipfone) then anyone
> > can ring you from anywhere in the world (+44 5603 12345)
> How does that help my wife when in Australia?

Because it is ~5p a minute in the UK.

> --
> Chris Green
> ·

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<r527jj-qfi83.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4691&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4691

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 13:52:43 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:52 UTC

Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2023 14:09:02 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> >> Just get a cheap Oz SIM or pay for Oz data on a UK one.
> >>
> >With 'a cheap Oz SIM' (are there any?) people calling from the UK will
> >pay a lot won't they as they'll be calling an Australian number.
>
> But that problem still exists whatever she does. If she has a UK
> number then her contacts in Australia will pay a lot as they'll be
> calling a UK number.
>
> So the question is, is she likely to be receiving more calls from the
> UK or from Australia while she's there?

Far more to/from UK. I doubt if she'll have any from Australia except
for people who call her (in the UK) already so have sorted out the
cost for them to call the UK.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<u3ssk1$30nr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4698&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4698

From: codvimyst@yahoo.co.uk (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 10:05:04 +0100
 by: Mark - Mon, 15 May 2023 09:05 UTC

On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
> My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
> needs to keep in touch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
> good short term deal while she's over there? She needs calls, SMS and
> some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).
> Not

Responding to sub-threads on VoIP...

My experience with Android VoIP apps is not great. Most will disconnect
from wifi when left idle for a few minutes, so incoming calls typically
fail a high proportion of the time. They also drain the battery
considerably faster than normal when permanently connected to wifi.

The only well-behaved (Android) app I found that will 100% hold a wifi
connection "up" to ring reliably at all times is Mizudroid, and even
that needed some tweaking of settings to hold a wifi connection. I've no
iPhone VoIP experience, but it may be similar.

Have a look at EE's 30 days SIM only, plus £10 pcm roaming bolt-on.
Not terribly cheap, but probably the most reliable and the least hassle
in terms of setting things up before travel and not during it.

Re: Recommendations for SIM for two months in Australia

<d5128743-f717-4ff7-a543-dc77376d1ab8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4699&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4699

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 03:25:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 May 2023 10:25 UTC

On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 10:05:10 UTC+1, Mark wrote:
> On 12/05/2023 09:23, Chris Green wrote:
> > My wife is off to Australia for a couple of months (May/June/July) and
> > needs to keep in touch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
> > good short term deal while she's over there? She needs calls, SMS and
> > some data (but not a lot of data, no streaming or anything like that).
> > Not
>

> Responding to sub-threads on VoIP...
>
> My experience with Android VoIP apps is not great. Most will disconnect
> from wifi when left idle for a few minutes, so incoming calls typically
> fail a high proportion of the time. They also drain the battery
> considerably faster than normal when permanently connected to wifi.
>
> The only well-behaved (Android) app I found that will 100% hold a wifi
> connection "up" to ring reliably at all times is Mizudroid, and even
> that needed some tweaking of settings to hold a wifi connection.

Not used that one.
Zoiper [free] works fine on PC's, but does use push on Android and badgers to buy a paid version.
Voipfone's [free] Softphone does stay awake and does not significantly flatten the battery. It does not appear to be tied to Voipfone - i.e. you can use it with any Voip provider.

> I've no iPhone VoIP experience, but it may be similar.

Me neither, but iLuvvies expect everything to just work...