From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Subject: Barking Riverside
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 13:54:15 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 12:54 UTC

Somewhat belatedly, I finally managed to go and see the new LO extension to Barking Riverside last week. Here's a few
pictures:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720301633130>

Some observations:

- The new 1.5km track from the LTS line is almost entirely on a curving concrete viaduct, shaped like a question mark,
with the station at the dot.

- Unusually for a low speed line, concrete slab track is used throughout.

- The area immediately around the station is still just building sites. There are some completed apartment blocks that
are passed on the way, and the school is open. The area is going to change a lot over the next couple of years.

- There is a very large 275kV National Grid substation almost opposite the station entrance. I assume it had something
to do with the former power stations that were on the site, but it will now be used to power the new developments in the
area and the railway.

- The extension has double track throughout, though a single track would have been adequate for the current 4 tph
service.

- It's currently served by four-car class 710 trains, but the platforms are long enough for five-car trains.

- All the trains runs to Gospel Oak, about 40 minutes away. But it would also be possible to run direct trains to
Fenchurch Street.

- The Goblin now uses different platforms at Barking (7 and 8), shared with c2c services to Grays. This seems to be
confusing some passengers who were used to it using platform 1.

- The gateline will allow for quite heavy traffic, with one wide and five normal width gates

- There are four flights of stairs, with a total of 50 steps, so the two lifts may prove popular

- There is a sign for a toilet, but no public toilet seems to be available yet. The toilet sign points at the private
door to the staff facilities (messroom, etc).

- The trains serving the station, like all TfL trains, do not have toilets, but they do have USB charger sockets, WiFi
and excellent air conditioning. I think these are the newest trains in London.

- This is, I believe, the only LO station with a view of the Thames from the platforms, though that view may be obscured
by the surrounding developments when completed.

Re: Barking Riverside

<r4bnghdfqn1lo7nu8ulgfkvc1d3rgn7p19@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4705&group=uk.transport.london#4705

From: john.geneal@googlemail.com (John)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Subject: Re: Barking Riverside
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:00:11 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:00 UTC

On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 13:54:15 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhat belatedly, I finally managed to go and see the new LO extension to Barking Riverside last week. Here's a few
> pictures:
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720301633130>
>
> Some observations:

Another view of this gem

This week TfL have opened a new premier sightseeing attraction to
rival the cablecar - the Barking Riverside Viewing Platform

https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-barking-riverside-viewing-platform.html

--
Regards

John

Re: Barking Riverside

<tegf4s$mu9j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4706&group=uk.transport.london#4706

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:19:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xKGdbRETpqMoYMf5QwYN1CSHbCM=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:19 UTC

John <john.geneal@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 13:54:15 +0100, Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Somewhat belatedly, I finally managed to go and see the new LO extension
>> to Barking Riverside last week. Here's a few
>> pictures:
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720301633130>
>>
>> Some observations:

> Another view of this gem
>
> This week TfL have opened a new premier sightseeing attraction to
> rival the cablecar - the Barking Riverside Viewing Platform
>
> https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-barking-riverside-viewing-platform.html

Yes, a very nice piece! As one of the comments says, it's a bit like the
DLR through Canary Wharf when it first opened. But unlike the early DLR,
this wasn't built on the cheap.