From: sf@london.london (London calling)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: fun with plastic, not Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 18:20:02 +0100
 by: London calling - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 17:20 UTC

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 16:11:52 -0000 (UTC), John Levine
<johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

>>>These days with contactless it's chip+neither. It's been quite a while since
>>>I've been asked to provide either a PIN or a signature at the till other than
>>>at the pharmacy where I think it's a regulatory thing, they want a record of
>>>who's buying the drugs.
>>
>>If your card is lost or stolen, does the bank have a no-quibble refund
>>policy for subsequent contactless transactions?
>
>Yes. US law limits customer liability to $50 but in practice banks make it zero.
>
>It's all baked into their fraud model. If you use a card in a way that is
>very different from your usual pattern, it's likely to be declined, e.g., you
>nornally buy groceries, and suddenly you're buying two wide screen televisions.

When we were over there a few weeks ago, I was amazed how many vendors
required a signature with Apple pay.

After all, theres nothing to verify!

On the plus side, we used virtually no hand money in 3 weeks.