From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: FTTP question
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 10:26:06 +0000
 by: Graham J - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 10:26 UTC

With ADSL or VDSL the ISP can identify whether there is sync, separately
from whether there is a live PPOA or PPPoE session.

Is the equivalent information available for the FTTP service?

Specifically,

1. Can the ISP identify whether the ONT (Optical Network Termination) is
correctly connected to the incoming fibre, even when there is no power
to the ONT?

2. If the ONT has power, can the ISP identify whether the ONT is working
correctly?

and more ...

3. If the ONT has power, and is connected to the WAN port of a router
which also has power, can the ISP identify this even if the router is
not correctly configured with the appropriate login and password for the
PPPoE connection?

4. As in 3, does the router supplied by the ISP (for example a Fritzbox)
respond to management input on its WAN port, so that the ISP can
remotely configure the router without local user intervention?

TIA

--
Graham J

Re: FTTP question

<ttq0e8$9ic1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4869&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4869

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: FTTP question
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 11:14:14 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 11:14 UTC

On 02/03/2023 10:26, Graham J wrote:

> With ADSL or VDSL the ISP can identify whether there is sync, separately
> from whether there is a live PPOA or PPPoE session.
>
> Is the equivalent information available for the FTTP service?
>
> Specifically,

Only have definite knowledge concerning 2 ...

> 1. Can the ISP identify whether the ONT (Optical Network Termination) is
> correctly connected to the incoming fibre, even when there is no power
> to the ONT?

I don't know, but on general principles it seems unlikely to me.

> 2. If the ONT has power, can the ISP identify whether the ONT is working
> correctly?

Probably. An on-site engineer can log-in to some models via a serial
interface. So, if the ONT is working correctly, it will have its own
IP, so probably the same information as you'd get from logging on to it
locally would be available remotely over the WAN, assuming you know the
login credentials, etc. If it's not working correctly, this probably
wouldn't be possible, so QED!

> and more ...
>
> 3. If the ONT has power, and is connected to the WAN port of a router
> which also has power, can the ISP identify this even if the router is
> not correctly configured with the appropriate login and password for the
> PPPoE connection?

Possibly, by polling the status of the port as in 2, it should be
possible to tell it's correctly connected to something, but I don't
suppose it would be able to tell that it's a router as opposed to
anything else.

> 4. As in 3, does the router supplied by the ISP (for example a Fritzbox)
> respond to management input on its WAN port, so that the ISP can
> remotely configure the router without local user intervention?

Probably depends on how the router is configured by the ISP. IIRC, when
I had a BT ADSL connection, I found I kept losing connection sometime
after midnight every night, which turned out to be BT automatically
rebooting the router every night at a given time. The router came
preconfigured with secure login settings that were on a label on the
router, so I put a stop to it by changing these.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: FTTP question

<ttq4og$9vq2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4870&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4870

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 12:27:27 +0000
 by: Graham J - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 12:27 UTC

Java Jive wrote:
> On 02/03/2023 10:26, Graham J wrote:
>>
>> With ADSL or VDSL the ISP can identify whether there is sync,
>> separately from whether there is a live PPOA or PPPoE session.
>>
>> Is the equivalent information available for the FTTP service?
>>
>> Specifically,
>
> Only have definite knowledge concerning 2 ...
>
>> 1. Can the ISP identify whether the ONT (Optical Network Termination)
>> is correctly connected to the incoming fibre, even when there is no
>> power to the ONT?
>
> I don't know, but on general principles it seems unlikely to me.
>
>> 2. If the ONT has power, can the ISP identify whether the ONT is
>> working correctly?
>
> Probably.  An on-site engineer can log-in to some models via a serial
> interface.  So, if the ONT is working correctly, it will have its own
> IP, so probably the same information as you'd get from logging on to it
> locally would be available remotely over the WAN, assuming you know the
> login credentials, etc.  If it's not working correctly, this probably
> wouldn't be possible, so QED!
>
>> and more ...
>>
>> 3. If the ONT has power, and is connected to the WAN port of a router
>> which also has power, can the ISP identify this even if the router is
>> not correctly configured with the appropriate login and password for
>> the PPPoE connection?
>
> Possibly, by polling the status of the port as in 2, it should be
> possible to tell it's correctly connected to something, but I don't
> suppose it would be able to tell that it's a router as opposed to
> anything else.
>
>> 4. As in 3, does the router supplied by the ISP (for example a
>> Fritzbox) respond to management input on its WAN port, so that the ISP
>> can remotely configure the router without local user intervention?
>
> Probably depends on how the router is configured by the ISP.  IIRC, when
> I had a BT ADSL connection, I found I kept losing connection sometime
> after midnight every night, which turned out to be BT automatically
> rebooting the router every night at a given time.  The router came
> preconfigured with secure login settings that were on a label on the
> router, so I put a stop to it by changing these.

Thanks. That's what I surmised. I can perhaps check point 2 next
Monday when I get FTTP installed (provided that Openreach turn up, of
course!) but as yet I don't know what flavour of ONT will be provided.

More on Monday ...

--
Graham J