From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: SMS error 28 issue
Date: 12 Jul 2023 18:58:08 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:58 UTC

I tried to send an SMS to a Dutch tourist here in the UK from my Android
phone (having previously received a text from that person) but sending
always fails with an “Error 28” message.

I’m with Lebara and all my APN settings look fine. Never had an issue
sending SMSs before but admittedly this is the first time I’ve sent to a
phone roaming here in the UK.

Tried it with my wife’s iPhone (same contact details, also on Lebara) and
it went straight through.

Any ideas?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: SMS error 28 issue

<u8mvqj$3c60k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4880&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4880

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: SMS error 28 issue
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:44:18 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:44 UTC

On Wed 12/07/2023 19:58, Tim+ wrote:
> I tried to send an SMS to a Dutch tourist here in the UK from my Android
> phone (having previously received a text from that person) but sending
> always fails with an “Error 28” message.
>
> I’m with Lebara and all my APN settings look fine. Never had an issue
> sending SMSs before but admittedly this is the first time I’ve sent to a
> phone roaming here in the UK.
>
> Tried it with my wife’s iPhone (same contact details, also on Lebara) and
> it went straight through.
>
> Any ideas?

Still sounds like an APN issue. Try these web sites which I think gives
full APN details:-

https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/internet-on-my-android-phone
or
https://theroams.co.uk/providers/lebara/guides/internet-settings/

Equally of course compare Management's APN and your APN?

Re: SMS error 28 issue

<u8n009$3c60k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4881&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4881

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:47:20 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:47 UTC

On Wed 12/07/2023 20:44, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 12/07/2023 19:58, Tim+ wrote:
>> I tried to send an SMS to a Dutch tourist here in the UK from my Android
>> phone (having previously received a text from that person) but sending
>> always fails with an “Error 28” message.
>>
>> I’m with Lebara and all my APN settings look fine.  Never had an issue
>> sending SMSs before but admittedly this is the first time I’ve sent to a
>> phone roaming here in the UK.
>>
>> Tried it with my wife’s iPhone (same contact details, also on Lebara) and
>> it went straight through.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Still sounds like an APN issue. Try these web sites which I think gives
> full APN details:-
>
> https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/internet-on-my-android-phone
> or
> https://theroams.co.uk/providers/lebara/guides/internet-settings/
>
> Equally of course compare Management's APN and your APN?

Also, given that Lebara runs on VF, you could Google 'Error 28 on VF SMS'?

Re: SMS error 28 issue

<J9j*BB8kz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4882&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4882

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 12 Jul 2023 22:30:23 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:30 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed 12/07/2023 19:58, Tim+ wrote:
> > I tried to send an SMS to a Dutch tourist here in the UK from my Android
> > phone (having previously received a text from that person) but sending
> > always fails with an “Error 28” message.
> >
> > I’m with Lebara and all my APN settings look fine. Never had an issue
> > sending SMSs before but admittedly this is the first time I’ve sent to a
> > phone roaming here in the UK.
> >
> > Tried it with my wife’s iPhone (same contact details, also on Lebara) and
> > it went straight through.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>

> Still sounds like an APN issue. Try these web sites which I think gives
> full APN details:-
>
> https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/internet-on-my-android-phone
> or
> https://theroams.co.uk/providers/lebara/guides/internet-settings/
>
> Equally of course compare Management's APN and your APN?

Doesn't SMS not use APNs, since it's not internet-based? MMS is, and
requires a special APN. There's the phone number of the SMSC, but without
that no SMS would go through.

Did you write the number as +31... or 0031... or something else?

Did the iPhone send it as iMessage (blue bubble) rather than SMS (green)?
Was the tourist by any chance on wifi and got the iMessage that way?

Supposedly Error 28 means:

"CMS Error code 28 means "Unidentified subscriber:
This cause indicates that the subscriber is not registered in the PLMN (i.e. IMSI not known)."

This comes up prominently with 'Vodafone', and Lebara are a Vodafone MVNO.
Some suggestions include:
- checking config settings like SMSC
- checking PAYG balance is not too low
- rebooting the phone
- check for a bar on texting shortcode numbers / too low balance for premium SMS
- asking the network for a new SIM card

Theo