From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Accessing Boris Johnson's iPhone and others
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 13:45:37 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 13:45 UTC

There seem to be products out there purporting to by-pass security
locks but on further inspection they seem not to work on later phones
or they result in a factory reset.

BoJo's phone for example, an iPhone as I understand, can it be
unlocked without the password. If WhatsApp messages are encrypted
end-to-end then surely there is no way access to them on the cloud is
available.

Apple seem coy as to whether they can, rather than if they will, break
into a locked phone without losing data. Clearly if they say they can
then their sales and reputation will be damaged.

Products I've read about seem to rely on connecting the phone to a
computer and using some form of unlocking process, but again,
seemingly with mixed results.

Any definitive answers out there?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Accessing Boris Johnson's iPhone and others

<f0720adf-a203-4081-a084-eb93676b89d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4886&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4886

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Accessing Boris Johnson's iPhone and others
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 12:04 UTC

On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 14:45:33 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
> There seem to be products out there purporting to by-pass security
> locks but on further inspection they seem not to work on later phones
> or they result in a factory reset.
>
> BoJo's phone for example, an iPhone as I understand, can it be
> unlocked without the password. If WhatsApp messages are encrypted
> end-to-end then surely there is no way access to them on the cloud is
> available.

WhatsApp messages are decrypted by both the app' on my tablet (won't let it near my phone as it grabs one's whole address book) and on my PC, so clearly either can decrypt messages.

The requirement to have the phone near the PC was dropped late last year IIRC, probably because it meant you could not access WhatsApp if you lost / broke your phone.

> Apple seem coy as to whether they can, rather than if they will, break
> into a locked phone without losing data. Clearly if they say they can
> then their sales and reputation will be damaged.
>
> Products I've read about seem to rely on connecting the phone to a
> computer and using some form of unlocking process, but again,
> seemingly with mixed results.
>
> Any definitive answers out there?
>
> --
> AnthonyL
>
> Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Accessing Boris Johnson's iPhone and others

<64b6e6e0.393026984@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4887&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4887

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:26:50 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:26 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:04:25 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
<notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 14:45:33 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
>> There seem to be products out there purporting to by-pass security
>> locks but on further inspection they seem not to work on later phones
>> or they result in a factory reset.
>>
>> BoJo's phone for example, an iPhone as I understand, can it be
>> unlocked without the password. If WhatsApp messages are encrypted
>> end-to-end then surely there is no way access to them on the cloud is
>> available.
>
>WhatsApp messages are decrypted by both the app' on my tablet (won't let it near my phone as it grabs one's whole address book) and on my PC, so clearly either can decrypt messages.
>
>The requirement to have the phone near the PC was dropped late last year IIRC, probably because it meant you could not access WhatsApp if you lost / broke your phone.

I'm not understanding the point(s) you are trying to make.

Are you saying just go onto a browser? I thought that the first time
you did it you needed the phone which provided a QR code which
presumably gave access to encryption/decription keys.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Accessing Boris Johnson's iPhone and others

<beef20e5-e2c7-4f21-acd4-b35e750a662bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4888&group=uk.telecom.mobile#4888

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 04:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 11:59 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 20:26:53 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:04:25 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
> <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 14:45:33 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
> >> There seem to be products out there purporting to by-pass security
> >> locks but on further inspection they seem not to work on later phones
> >> or they result in a factory reset.
> >>
> >> BoJo's phone for example, an iPhone as I understand, can it be
> >> unlocked without the password. If WhatsApp messages are encrypted
> >> end-to-end then surely there is no way access to them on the cloud is
> >> available.
> >
> >WhatsApp messages are decrypted by both the app' on my tablet (won't let it near my phone as it grabs one's whole address book) and on my PC, so clearly either can decrypt messages.
> >
> >The requirement to have the phone near the PC was dropped late last year IIRC, probably because it meant you could not access WhatsApp if you lost / broke your phone.
> >
> I'm not understanding the point(s) you are trying to make.
>
> Are you saying just go onto a browser? I thought that the first time
> you did it you needed the phone which provided a QR code which
> presumably gave access to encryption/decription keys.
> --
> AnthonyL
>
> Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

It is the same WhatsApp account so his new phone can confirm the QR code.

What I don't know is whether you can delve in the history - the PC app' says on mine "Use WhatsApp on your phone to see older chat messages." late 2020