He knows not how to know who knows not also how to unknow. -- Sir Richard Burton

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

SubjectAuthor
* How does "Connect Fibre" work?AnthonyL
`* Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?Theo
 +* Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?MB
 |`- Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?Theo
 `* Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?AnthonyL
  +- Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?Andy Burns
  `- Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?Theo

1
How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<6401ec7c.796172234@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4882&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4882

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: How does "Connect Fibre" work?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 12:50:50 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 12:50 UTC

Seeing a lot about https://www.connectfibre.co.uk but not picked up
how they are setup to provide fibre. Surely they are just
piggy-backing on BT's FTTP when it is installed?

Anyone got any details/experience?

My sister says it is available in her area. She single, retired and
has been led to believe it does away with her telephone line (yes I
know, digital voice is the new future).

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<1Ab*Zdiaz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4883&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4883

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?
Date: 03 Mar 2023 14:27:25 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:27 UTC

AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
> Seeing a lot about https://www.connectfibre.co.uk but not picked up
> how they are setup to provide fibre. Surely they are just
> piggy-backing on BT's FTTP when it is installed?

Given the small number of supported locations, I would guess they're running
their own fibre in Openreach ducts.

> Anyone got any details/experience?

No, but that's the MO of a lot of these 'village' broadband companies.
Openreach have no plans to wire these villages anytime this decade, so
these smaller firms are jumping in and picking off individual villages.

> My sister says it is available in her area. She single, retired and
> has been led to believe it does away with her telephone line (yes I
> know, digital voice is the new future).

Presumably there will have been some activity in the area doing wiring,
although some may not notice.

Since it's FTTP there will need to be a separate fibre installed, and she
won't need the phone line for broadband:
https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/installation-guide

However, unlike other providers they don't offer landline service, so that
either needs keeping the LL for voice or porting to a third party VOIP
provider:

"We currently do not offer a phone service. Your existing phone service
should continue to work if you are a Connect Fibre customer, but we
recommend contacting your provider to double check.

If you wish, you can use our broadband service to make phone calls over the
internet (Voice over the Internet or VoIP). There are many VoIP providers
to choose from, many of which are free of charge."

(very, very weasel words there)

Theo

Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<ttuqni$tqi3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4893&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4893

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 07:07:30 +0000
 by: MB - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 07:07 UTC

On 03/03/2023 14:27, Theo wrote:
> No, but that's the MO of a lot of these 'village' broadband companies.
> Openreach have no plans to wire these villages anytime this decade, so
> these smaller firms are jumping in and picking off individual villages.

An Openreach engineer who came to fix a fault at my house, said they are
going to do the outlying rural areas first because many have poor
connections at the moment.

Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<3Ab*1fnaz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4897&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4897

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 04 Mar 2023 13:21:27 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:21 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 03/03/2023 14:27, Theo wrote:
> > No, but that's the MO of a lot of these 'village' broadband companies.
> > Openreach have no plans to wire these villages anytime this decade, so
> > these smaller firms are jumping in and picking off individual villages.
>

> An Openreach engineer who came to fix a fault at my house, said they are
> going to do the outlying rural areas first because many have poor
> connections at the moment.

I think they're mopping up the folks with ADSL first, but those in villages
on VDSL/FTTC are a long way down the list. Not slow enough to be priority,
but more expensive to install per customer than an urban area.

Theo

Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<6403457d.884494703@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4898&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4898

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 13:23:07 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:23 UTC

On 03 Mar 2023 14:27:25 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
>> Seeing a lot about https://www.connectfibre.co.uk but not picked up
>> how they are setup to provide fibre. Surely they are just
>> piggy-backing on BT's FTTP when it is installed?
>
>Given the small number of supported locations, I would guess they're running
>their own fibre in Openreach ducts.
>
>> Anyone got any details/experience?
>
>No, but that's the MO of a lot of these 'village' broadband companies.
>Openreach have no plans to wire these villages anytime this decade, so
>these smaller firms are jumping in and picking off individual villages.
>
>> My sister says it is available in her area. She single, retired and
>> has been led to believe it does away with her telephone line (yes I
>> know, digital voice is the new future).
>
>Presumably there will have been some activity in the area doing wiring,
>although some may not notice.
>
>Since it's FTTP there will need to be a separate fibre installed, and she
>won't need the phone line for broadband:
>https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/installation-guide
>
>However, unlike other providers they don't offer landline service, so that
>either needs keeping the LL for voice or porting to a third party VOIP
>provider:
>
>"We currently do not offer a phone service. Your existing phone service
>should continue to work if you are a Connect Fibre customer, but we
>recommend contacting your provider to double check.
>
>If you wish, you can use our broadband service to make phone calls over the
>internet (Voice over the Internet or VoIP). There are many VoIP providers
>to choose from, many of which are free of charge."
>
>(very, very weasel words there)

I'm with BT and they are giving advance warning of "digital voice".
And there's no FTTP in sight of this "in the city" area either.

Having looked more closely at where FTTP is available/coming on the
BTOpenreach sites it does seem that is what ConnectFibre are
mirroring.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<k6gv8oFf71cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4899&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4899

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:26:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:26 UTC

AnthonyL wrote:

> I'm with BT and they are giving advance warning of "digital voice".
> And there's no FTTP in sight of this "in the city" area either.

Some people will lose their analogue voice service before FTTP is
available to them, so can either use BT Digital Voice, or 3rd party
VoIP, over xDSL in either case

Re: How does "Connect Fibre" work?

<1Ab*-jnaz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4902&group=uk.telecom.broadband#4902

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 04 Mar 2023 13:39:09 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:39 UTC

AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
> I'm with BT and they are giving advance warning of "digital voice".
> And there's no FTTP in sight of this "in the city" area either.

That's entirely orthogonal to whether you have ADSL/FTTC/FTTP.

> Having looked more closely at where FTTP is available/coming on the
> BTOpenreach sites it does seem that is what ConnectFibre are
> mirroring.

ConnectFibre have a really small footprint:
https://www.connectfibre.co.uk/fttp-in-my-area?packageType=home

5 villages in Cambridgeshire (Bluntisham, Colne, Earith, Needingworth,
Sutton)
3 in Derbyshire (Bolsover, Creswell, Killamarsh)
1 in Nottinghamshire (Edwinstowe)

I can't see how they can be anything other than their own FTTP buildout,
because if they were using Openreach's own FTTP they'd have a much bigger
area of service (nationwide).

Theo