Murray's Rule: Any country with "democratic" in the title isn't.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: BBC gets it wrong

SubjectAuthor
* BBC gets it wrongRoger
`* BBC gets it wrongBlueshirt
 +* BBC gets it wrongRoger
 |+* BBC gets it wrongGraeme Wall
 ||+- BBC gets it wrongRecliner
 ||`- BBC gets it wrongAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |`* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
 | `- BBC gets it wrongAnna Noyd-Dryver
 `* BBC gets it wrongbilly bookcase
  `* BBC gets it wrongBlueshirt
   +- BBC gets it wrongRecliner
   `* BBC gets it wrongbilly bookcase
    +* BBC gets it wrongGraeme Wall
    |`* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
    | `* BBC gets it wrongGraeme Wall
    |  `* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
    |   `* BBC gets it wrongGraeme Wall
    |    `* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
    |     +* BBC gets it wrongGraeme Wall
    |     |+- BBC gets it wrongRecliner
    |     |`* BBC gets it wrongIain Archer
    |     | +* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
    |     | |`- BBC gets it wrongIain Archer
    |     | `- BBC gets it wrongbilly bookcase
    |     `- BBC gets it wrongMuttley
    `* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
     `* BBC gets it wrongTheo
      +* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
      |`* BBC gets it wrongMuttley
      | `* BBC gets it wrongRecliner
      |  `- BBC gets it wrongMuttley
      `* BBC gets it wrongAnna Noyd-Dryver
       `- BBC gets it wrongBlueshirt

Pages:12
Re: BBC gets it wrong

<uhgish$2aol4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5025&group=uk.transport.london#5025

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: BBC gets it wrong
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:53:05 -0000 (UTC)
References: <vi1fji5gk6sgflkmi12fgt02te2r31qr6v@4ax.com> <xn0o8h4nczzhbk000@news.eternal-september.org> <duWdnYvy5v1Q5qT4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <xn0o8iqgm1lchgh001@news.eternal-september.org> <dZ-dnUAbjOelpqf4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <vaskji1ig1fbu95iubc3jd3d8n0368ksvt@4ax.com> <X8C*amQtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <uhe32g$1n0p3$5@dont-email.me> <uhfqdc$25nst$1@dont-email.me> <9kanjit1prkqgnv6oah6ecm8da8hq3qh7m@4ax.com>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:53 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:19:00 +0100
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 07:55:24 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:10:56 -0000 (UTC)
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>shiny
>>>
>>>I think so. But, arguably, the EL could eventually be merged with LO,
>>>particularly after the latter becomes six named lines. The EL could just
>>>become the seventh LO line, all operated by Aventras. But I don't expect it
>>>any time soon.
>>
>>Or better yet convert it back to a tube line so its service isn't screwed up
>>by the goings on on southern region.
>
>The Elizabeth Line was never a Tube line and isn't affected by problems on the
>Southern region.

My mistake, I was thinking of the ELL , not the EL.

Re: BBC gets it wrong

<uhgitr$2aovg$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5026&group=uk.transport.london#5026

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:53:47 -0000 (UTC)
<uhe1tm$1mm0p$5@dont-email.me>
<uhe29r$1mojh$1@dont-email.me>
<uhgfha$2a2v3$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:zsFa3qVzs3DDMTp7l8hmLkuKBP8=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:53 UTC

Iain Archer <ianews@montaigne.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:57:47 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> The point is that the Acton Green station name was from the early days of
>>> the station. If some people were already calling it Acton Green tube
>>> station back then, then there was never a clear distinction.
>>>

>> The key word there is "if".
>
> Re "tube" for cut-and-cover stations, here are a few examples from
> local papers got from a search of britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.
>
> [quote]
> BABY ABANDONED AT TUBE STATION
> Found abandoned last week in the women's
> cloakroom at Bayswater, Queensway,
> tube station. 1947
> [ie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayswater_tube_station]
>
> COLLAPSED IN TUBE STATION
> As he stood at the foot of the steps leading to the
> main booking hall of Putney Bridge station, ...
> West London Observer - Friday 01 October 1954
>
> OPPOSITE MORDEN TUBE STATION
> Garage display ad 1956
> [unquote]

I suppose even purists would call Morden a Tube station as it's served by
the Northern Line.

> I think that was from a search starting somewhere in the 40s. I don't
> myself remember, from the 1950's on, not thinking of the District line
> trains running from Wimbledon as tube trains.
>
> Re "tube" in general: that appears in use very early. The OED shows
> "tube railway" (1900-), tube-train (1901-) "tube station"(1913-) and
> "The Tube" (1924).

I suppose that dates from the Tuppenny Tube that opened in 1900. One
syllable and four letters trumps three and 12.

> In BNA it can be found in newspaper display ads early in the century, eg:
>
> "HAMPSTEAD TUBE NOW OPEN
> (CHARING CROSS EUSTON & HIGHGATE RAILWAY)" - a full page ad, with
> some journey times, fares and connection points, in The Bystander of
> Wednesday 26 June 1907. The London-wide map labels include Bakerloo Tube",
> "Piccadilly Tube" and "District Railway"; whereas a similar one six
> months earlier had each line labelled with its railway company name.
>
> "TUBE LIFT POSTERS" (1908)
>
> "Take the Tube to Thompsons" (1908)
>
> And, I think, to cap any doubt that "tube" was a common colloquialism
> very early on, numerous accommodation small ads, from at least 1907,
> containing the like of "Close tube, bus, rail,...".

It looks like Tube soon became the colloquial term for all Underground
trains, but it probably only became official in the mid 1990s.

Re: BBC gets it wrong

<5Z6dnV_mB8dAZKb4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5027&group=uk.transport.london#5027

From: billy@anon.com (billy bookcase)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
References: <vi1fji5gk6sgflkmi12fgt02te2r31qr6v@4ax.com><xn0o8h4nczzhbk000@news.eternal-september.org><duWdnYvy5v1Q5qT4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk><xn0o8iqgm1lchgh001@news.eternal-september.org><dZ-dnUAbjOelpqf4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk><uhdhm6$1hv4v$1@dont-email.me> <uhdj8i$1iefk$5@dont-email.me><uhdpjv$1k6o7$2@dont-email.me> <qarkji177npi6v6b0obmguuhsk16bqiggt@4ax.com><uhe06u$1m45c$1@dont-email.me> <uhe1tm$1mm0p$5@dont-email.me><uhe29r$1mojh$1@dont-email.me> <uhgfha$2a2v3$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:56:43 +0100
 by: billy bookcase - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:56 UTC

"Iain Archer" <ianews@montaigne.me.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:57:47 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> The point is that the Acton Green station name was from the early days
>>> of
>>> the station. If some people were already calling it Acton Green tube
>>> station back then, then there was never a clear distinction.
>>>

>> The key word there is "if".
>
> Re "tube" for cut-and-cover stations, here are a few examples from
> local papers got from a search of britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.
>
> [quote]
> BABY ABANDONED AT TUBE STATION
> Found abandoned last week in the women's
> cloakroom at Bayswater, Queensway,
> tube station. 1947
> [ie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayswater_tube_station]
>
> COLLAPSED IN TUBE STATION
> As he stood at the foot of the steps leading to the
> main booking hall of Putney Bridge station, ...
> West London Observer - Friday 01 October 1954
>
> OPPOSITE MORDEN TUBE STATION
> Garage display ad 1956
> [unquote]
>
> I think that was from a search starting somewhere in the 40s. I don't
> myself remember, from the 1950's on, not thinking of the District line
> trains running from Wimbledon as tube trains.
>
> Re "tube" in general: that appears in use very early. The OED shows
> "tube railway" (1900-), tube-train (1901-) "tube station"(1913-) and
> "The Tube" (1924).
>
> In BNA it can be found in newspaper display ads early in the century, eg:
>
> "HAMPSTEAD TUBE NOW OPEN
> (CHARING CROSS EUSTON & HIGHGATE RAILWAY)" - a full page ad, with
> some journey times, fares and connection points, in The Bystander of
> Wednesday 26 June 1907. The London-wide map labels include Bakerloo Tube",
> "Piccadilly Tube" and "District Railway"; whereas a similar one six
> months earlier had each line labelled with its railway company name.
>
> "TUBE LIFT POSTERS" (1908)
>
> "Take the Tube to Thompsons" (1908)

Indeed. Both the Bakerloo and Piccadilly had sections of both
deep level "tube" and overground sections.

While the overall name "Underground" which was officially adopted
for the whole system quite early on, and publicised as such, included
lines with large overgound sections such as the District with plenty
of overground stations, in addition to cut and cover

Click here to read the complete article
Re: BBC gets it wrong

<uhh49j$2edss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5028&group=uk.transport.london#5028

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:50:12 -0000 (UTC)
<uhdhm6$1hv4v$1@dont-email.me> <uhdj8i$1iefk$5@dont-email.me>
<uhdpjv$1k6o7$2@dont-email.me> <qarkji177npi6v6b0obmguuhsk16bqiggt@4ax.com>
<uhe06u$1m45c$1@dont-email.me> <uhe1tm$1mm0p$5@dont-email.me>
<uhe29r$1mojh$1@dont-email.me> <uhgfha$2a2v3$1@dont-email.me>
<uhgitr$2aovg$5@dont-email.me>
 by: Iain Archer - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:50 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:53:47 +0000, Recliner wrote:

> Iain Archer <ianews@montaigne.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> OPPOSITE MORDEN TUBE STATION
>> Garage display ad 1956
>> [unquote]
>
> I suppose even purists would call Morden a Tube station
> as it's served by the Northern Line.

Whoops. :) Thanks for that correction. I'm not sure why
I made that error, given that I have seen Morden station.
I'd been ploughing though BNA matches on "tube station",
and was eager to land the third example. I suspect the
unjustified notion that ends of line are always on the
surface then helped.

>> I think that was from a search starting somewhere in the 40s. I don't
>> myself remember, from the 1950's on, not thinking of the District line
>> trains running from Wimbledon as tube trains.
>>
>> Re "tube" in general: that appears in use very early. The OED shows
>> "tube railway" (1900-), tube-train (1901-) "tube station"(1913-) and
>> "The Tube" (1924).
>
> I suppose that dates from the Tuppenny Tube that opened in 1900. One
> syllable and four letters trumps three and 12.
>

>> In BNA it can be found in newspaper display ads early in the century, eg:
>>
>> "HAMPSTEAD TUBE NOW OPEN
>> (CHARING CROSS EUSTON & HIGHGATE RAILWAY)" - a full page ad, with
>> some journey times, fares and connection points, in The Bystander of
>> Wednesday 26 June 1907. The London-wide map labels include Bakerloo Tube",
>> "Piccadilly Tube" and "District Railway"; whereas a similar one six
>> months earlier had each line labelled with its railway company name.
>>
>> "TUBE LIFT POSTERS" (1908)
>>
>> "Take the Tube to Thompsons" (1908)
>>
>> And, I think, to cap any doubt that "tube" was a common colloquialism
>> very early on, numerous accommodation small ads, from at least 1907,
>> containing the like of "Close tube, bus, rail,...".
>
> It looks like Tube soon became the colloquial term for all Underground
> trains, but it probably only became official in the mid 1990s.

The OED citation of "The Tube" in 1924 in a Galsworthy novel did iirc
gloss it as a proprietary term, so there might just be more to be found on
that front. But not by me at the moment. My BB line's effectively down.

Re: BBC gets it wrong

<uhtsrn$1mar5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5034&group=uk.transport.london#5034

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:03:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KH+7uUcHD347D46fh16wrqcTgmQ=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:03 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/10/2023 21:37, Roger wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:14:33 +0100, "Blueshirt"
>> <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>>> It's the BBC, their standards have dropped over the years... simple
>>> research is not their strongest point.
>>>
>>> (I'm assuming it's the "416 stations" thing?)
>>
>> Indeed that is what I was referring to. I haven't bothered to
>> work out whether that includes all rail lines; Underground, DLR,
>> Trams, Overground, and Elizabeth line. From the picture Trams
>> isn't included.
>
> It probably the number the game's creator has listed in his game. If he
> says it's 416, why should the BBC argue?

The game includes EL, LO and DLR in addition to LU.

Initially two stations were omitted in error (Iver and Kentish Town) but
they've since been added.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: BBC gets it wrong

<uhtsrq$1mar5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5035&group=uk.transport.london#5035

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:03:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wrLMTERO22rokBcz+sDtsnkAGvc=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:03 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:14:33 +0100, "Blueshirt"
>> <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>>> It's the BBC, their standards have dropped over the years... simple
>>> research is not their strongest point.
>>>
>>> (I'm assuming it's the "416 stations" thing?)
>>
>> Indeed that is what I was referring to. I haven't bothered to
>> work out whether that includes all rail lines; Underground, DLR,
>> Trams, Overground, and Elizabeth line. From the picture Trams
>> isn't included.
>
> It's LU, LO, EL and DLR:
>
> https://london.metro-memory.com
>
> One hint to maximise your score: stations are counted by line, so Victoria
> gets you three points, Edgware Road four, Stratford five; and Liverpool
> Street, Kings Cross St Pancras and Paddington six each.

Aah, that explains the oddly irregular increase in percentage that I
noticed!

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: BBC gets it wrong

<uhtsrr$1mar5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5036&group=uk.transport.london#5036

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:03:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Kw1XajuDk26R1I9qwkNkPFfownE=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:03 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> One other confusion is with the Elizabeth Line, which (mainly because of
>> its name) was initially thought to be just the latest Tube line. And,
>> indeed, in central London, it does run in deep tubes, albeit larger
>> diameter ones.
>>
>> Even in uk.railway, many were confused, not understanding that TfL ranked
>> it alongside the Underground, Overground, DLR, Trams, etc, rather than
>> with the individual LU lines.
>
> I suppose there are certain customer-facing differences between the 'tube'
> (including SSL) and the EL (eg availability of through NR tickets on the
> EL), similarly with Overground (NR tickets) - any differences with the DLR?.
> But otherwise I wonder if TfL will keep up this distinction once their shiny
> new railway just becomes an unremarkable part of the fabric of London.

The EL will always technically be different from LU because really it's
just another mainline TOC, like LO.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: BBC gets it wrong

<xn0o8tt6f31zilu008@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5037&group=uk.transport.london#5037

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 20:07:47 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 20:07 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

> The EL will always technically be different from LU because really
> it's just another mainline TOC, like LO.

Yeah, but the Elizabeth Line goes under the ground in London, so ... ;-)