God gave man two ears and one tongue so that we listen twice as much as we speak. -- Arab proverb

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Zen

SubjectAuthor
* ZenDavid Rance
`* Re: ZenDavey
 `* Re: ZenGraham J
  +* Re: ZenRichard Tobin
  |+* Re: ZenWoody
  ||+- Re: ZenRichard Tobin
  ||`- Re: ZenBrian Gregory
  |+- Re: ZenGraham J
  |+- Re: ZenGraham J
  |`* Re: ZenDavid Wade
  | `* Re: Zengrinch
  |  +* Re: ZenBrian Gregory
  |  |`- Re: ZenAbandoned_Trolley
  |  `* Re: ZenGraham J
  |   +* Re: ZenRoderick Stewart
  |   |`- Re: ZenDavey
  |   +- Re: ZenRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |   `- Re: ZenTheo
  `* Re: ZenDavid Rance
   +* Re: ZenWoody
   |`- Re: ZenBob Eager
   +* Re: ZenGraham J
   |`- Re: ZenDavid Rance
   +* Re: ZenBob Eager
   |`* Re: ZenDavid Rance
   | `- Re: ZenBob Eager
   `- Re: Zenwww.GymRatZ.co.uk

Pages:12
Zen

<M1BjrFW7K8VkFwAB@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5058&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5058

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Zen
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 16:24:43 +0100
 by: David Rance - Sun, 7 May 2023 15:24 UTC

Cityfibre have just finished installing their full fibre in my road
(thank goodness - getting in and out of my house was something of a
trial while it lasted) and have now told me that I can now apply for
FTTP.

They list all the ISPs that can supply this in my area. IDNet is one and
I already have FTTC with them. I've been with them since 2010 and have
always been quite satisfied. However I see that Zen is also available
for roughly the same price so, bearing in mind the praise that people
give it, would it be worth my while to jump ship at this point?

I suppose that Zen supply static IPs? IDNet give them as a matter of
course.

David

Re: Zen

<u38hnf$3e65v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5059&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5059

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Zen
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 16:56:31 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 7 May 2023 15:56 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 16:24:43 +0100
David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:

> Cityfibre have just finished installing their full fibre in my road
> (thank goodness - getting in and out of my house was something of a
> trial while it lasted) and have now told me that I can now apply for
> FTTP.
>
> They list all the ISPs that can supply this in my area. IDNet is one
> and I already have FTTC with them. I've been with them since 2010 and
> have always been quite satisfied. However I see that Zen is also
> available for roughly the same price so, bearing in mind the praise
> that people give it, would it be worth my while to jump ship at this
> point?
>
> I suppose that Zen supply static IPs? IDNet give them as a matter of
> course.
>
> David

Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband

"All our packages offer Static IP addresses".

--
Davey.

Re: Zen

<u38p79$3fdl5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5061&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5061

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 19:04:22 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sun, 7 May 2023 18:04 UTC

Davey wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 16:24:43 +0100
> David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Cityfibre have just finished installing their full fibre in my road
>> (thank goodness - getting in and out of my house was something of a
>> trial while it lasted) and have now told me that I can now apply for
>> FTTP.
>>
>> They list all the ISPs that can supply this in my area. IDNet is one
>> and I already have FTTC with them. I've been with them since 2010 and
>> have always been quite satisfied. However I see that Zen is also
>> available for roughly the same price so, bearing in mind the praise
>> that people give it, would it be worth my while to jump ship at this
>> point?
>>
>> I suppose that Zen supply static IPs? IDNet give them as a matter of
>> course.
>>
>> David
>>

> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>
> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".

But no email address. So if you are reliant on your IDNet address, stay
with them ...

Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
works with their horrible Fritzbox router. So if you need the static IP
for sophisticated features like VPN or remote management & monitoring,
then choose an alternative VoIP solution.

--
Graham J

Re: Zen

<u38qq1$d1j$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5062&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5062

From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 18:31:29 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Sun, 7 May 2023 18:31 UTC

In article <u38p79$3fdl5$1@dont-email.me>,
Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

>> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>>
>> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".

>But no email address. So if you are reliant on your IDNet address, stay
>with them ...

My Zen account has an associated email address, and ten more I can
supposedly configure, but I never use them.

>Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>works with their horrible Fritzbox router.

I've seen dicussions of using it without, but I haven't tried it myself.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4731028-own-router-and-digital-voice-methods.html?fpart=all&vc=1

-- Richard

Re: Zen

<u38sbl$3ft8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5063&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5063

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 19:57:55 +0100
 by: Woody - Sun, 7 May 2023 18:57 UTC

On Sun 07/05/2023 19:31, Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <u38p79$3fdl5$1@dont-email.me>,
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>>>
>>> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".
>
>> But no email address. So if you are reliant on your IDNet address, stay
>> with them ...
>
> My Zen account has an associated email address, and ten more I can
> supposedly configure, but I never use them.
>
>> Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>> works with their horrible Fritzbox router.
>
> I've seen dicussions of using it without, but I haven't tried it myself.
>
> https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4731028-own-router-and-digital-voice-methods.html?fpart=all&vc=1

Long standing users of Zen had and still will have an email service, but
they withdrew it for new customers some time ago. Their argument is that
many people regularly change ISP which causes major problems with email
addresses.

Re: Zen

<u392pt$3gvl7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5064&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5064

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 21:47:55 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sun, 7 May 2023 20:47 UTC

Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <u38p79$3fdl5$1@dont-email.me>,
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>>>
>>> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".
>
>> But no email address.

*** With new connections ***

--
Graham J

Re: Zen

<u3935m$3h2ok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5065&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5065

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 21:54:12 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sun, 7 May 2023 20:54 UTC

Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <u38p79$3fdl5$1@dont-email.me>,
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>>>
>>> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".
>
>> But no email address. So if you are reliant on your IDNet address, stay
>> with them ...
>
> My Zen account has an associated email address, and ten more I can
> supposedly configure, but I never use them.
>
>> Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>> works with their horrible Fritzbox router.
>
> I've seen dicussions of using it without, but I haven't tried it myself.
>
> https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4731028-own-router-and-digital-voice-methods.html?fpart=all&vc=1

Voipfone now say (as of this week): "What with the wholesale switch away
from analogue lines, we can now retrieve the number up to 30 days after
it has been disconnected".

If you tell your existing ISP that you want the "Broadband only" option
and not "Digital Voice" (or whatever equivalent name your ISP uses) then
the existing phone number will be disconnected and you can port it to
Voipfone. Presumably this will be true for other VoIP providers

A new account from Zen will be SOGEA regardless of whether it is FTTP or
FTTC or ADSL, so it will be broadband only.

It's all a real mess!

--
Graham J

Re: Zen

<u393hi$3gvob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5066&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5066

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 22:00:34 +0100
 by: David Wade - Sun, 7 May 2023 21:00 UTC

On 07/05/2023 19:31, Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <u38p79$3fdl5$1@dont-email.me>,
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>>>
>>> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".
>
>> But no email address. So if you are reliant on your IDNet address, stay
>> with them ...
> mms, and ten more I can
> supposedly configure, but I never use them.

Legacy service. New users do not receive any Zen e-mail service

>> Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>> works with their horrible Fritzbox router.
>
> I've seen dicussions of using it without, but I haven't tried it myself.
>
> https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4731028-own-router-and-digital-voice-methods.html?fpart=all&vc=1

Apparently they have now locked things down so this no longer works...

....so who said they were not like other ISPs...
.... all this lock in seems pretty standard ....

> -- Richard

Dave

Re: Zen

<u3apdv$3sij2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5067&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5067

From: grinch@somewhere.net (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 13:20:15 +0100
 by: grinch - Mon, 8 May 2023 12:20 UTC

On 07/05/2023 22:00, David Wade wrote:
> On 07/05/2023 19:31, Richard Tobin wrote:

>>> But no email address.  So if you are reliant on your IDNet address, stay
>>> with them ...
>> mms, and ten more I can
>> supposedly configure, but I never use them.
>>

> Legacy service. New users do not receive any Zen e-mail service
>
>>> Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>>> works with their horrible Fritzbox router.

Works really well if you know how to use it.

>> I've seen discussions of using it without, but I haven't tried it myself.
>>
>> https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4731028-own-router-and-digital-voice-methods.html?fpart=all&vc=1
>>

> Apparently they have now locked things down so this no longer works...
>
> ...so who said they were not like other ISPs...
> ... all this lock in seems pretty standard ....
>
>> -- Richard

Stops the great unwashed from tying up tech support trying to fix
problems they have created.

I have always thought it the height of ignorance expecting your ISP's
tech support to fix an issue on a router they have not sold to you and
or tested.

> Dave

Re: Zen

<u3bblm$1pal$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5078&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5078

From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 17:31:34 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Mon, 8 May 2023 17:31 UTC

In article <u38sbl$3ft8p$1@dont-email.me>,
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Long standing users of Zen had and still will have an email service, but
>they withdrew it for new customers some time ago.

Ah, I didn't know that (being a long-standing user).

-- Richard

Re: Zen

<zk18vwlnIhWkFwP5@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5081&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5081

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 10:28:07 +0100
 by: David Rance - Tue, 9 May 2023 09:28 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 19:04:22 Graham J wrote:

>Davey wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 May 2023 16:24:43 +0100
>> David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Cityfibre have just finished installing their full fibre in my road
>>> (thank goodness - getting in and out of my house was something of a
>>> trial while it lasted) and have now told me that I can now apply for
>>> FTTP.
>>>
>>> They list all the ISPs that can supply this in my area. IDNet is one
>>> and I already have FTTC with them. I've been with them since 2010 and
>>> have always been quite satisfied. However I see that Zen is also
>>> available for roughly the same price so, bearing in mind the praise
>>> that people give it, would it be worth my while to jump ship at this
>>> point?
>>>
>>> I suppose that Zen supply static IPs? IDNet give them as a matter of
>>> course.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>> Quote https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>> "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".
>
>But no email address. So if you are reliant on your IDNet address,
>stay with them ...

No problem. I have my own domains and run my own mail server. However, I
did wonder whether I would lose the IDNet address if I went full fibre
with them as it would be a new contract. Although I don't use it, it
gives me peace of mind knowing that I have it should anything happen to
my mail server.

>Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>works with their horrible Fritzbox router. So if you need the static
>IP for sophisticated features like VPN or remote management &
>monitoring, then choose an alternative VoIP solution.

I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I do
use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server. However I
would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not listed as usable
with full fibre (I suppose because it has been superseded by a newer
model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as long as I connect
to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't really started to think about that
yet. I suppose I should!

Many thanks for those points. And thanks to all who have replied. You've
given me food for thought.

I don't know whether Trustpilot is useful here but I notice that recent
comments about both IDNet and Zen have complained about poor service. I
don't know how much importance I should attach to them as everyone has
an off day. I've never had a problem with IDNet in thirteen years so I
haven't really tested their attention to complaints. Oh, now I do
remember one occasion when they turned off my ability to edit my web
site with them (I do use that from time to time even though I have my
own web server). A phone call soon put that right - but that was some
years ago!

David

Re: Zen

<u3d4qe$7n7k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5082&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5082

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 10:46:54 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 9 May 2023 09:46 UTC

On Tue 09/05/2023 10:28, David Rance wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 19:04:22 Graham J wrote:
>
>> Davey wrote:

>>>  Quote  https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/superfast-fibre-broadband
>>>  "All our packages offer Static IP addresses".
>>
>> But no email address.  So if you are reliant on your IDNet address,
>> stay with them ...
>
> No problem. I have my own domains and run my own mail server. However, I
> did wonder whether I would lose the IDNet address if I went full fibre
> with them as it would be a new contract. Although I don't use it, it
> gives me peace of mind knowing that I have it should anything happen to
> my mail server.
>>
>> Zen also offer VoIP in the form of their "Digital Voice" which only
>> works with their horrible Fritzbox router.  So if you need the static
>> IP for sophisticated features like VPN or remote management &
>> monitoring, then choose an alternative VoIP solution.
>
> I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I do
> use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server. However I
> would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not listed as usable
> with full fibre (I suppose because it has been superseded by a newer
> model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as long as I connect
> to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't really started to think about that
> yet. I suppose I should!
>
> Many thanks for those points. And thanks to all who have replied. You've
> given me food for thought.
>
> I don't know whether Trustpilot is useful here but I notice that recent
> comments about both IDNet and Zen have complained about poor service. I
> don't know how much importance I should attach to them as everyone has
> an off day. I've never had a problem with IDNet in thirteen years so I
> haven't really tested their attention to complaints. Oh, now I do
> remember one occasion when they turned off my ability to edit my web
> site with them (I do use that from time to time even though I have my
> own web server). A phone call soon put that right - but that was some
> years ago!

One should always remember that most people that contribute to TP and
the like and are complaining are either wrong themselves or are just
moaners and either way are definitely in the minority!

Re: Zen

<kbumupF36v1U10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5083&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5083

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 9 May 2023 10:52:09 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 9 May 2023 10:52 UTC

On Tue, 09 May 2023 10:46:54 +0100, Woody wrote:

> One should always remember that most people that contribute to TP and
> the like and are complaining are either wrong themselves or are just
> moaners and either way are definitely in the minority!

I gave up doing reviews after they accused me of forgery. It turned out
that was because I used several email addresses (one for each vendor, as I
do).

I told them to delete all my reviews and I wouldn't do any more.

They were confused.

Re: Zen

<u3da19$8b06$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5084&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5084

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 12:15:52 +0100
 by: Graham J - Tue, 9 May 2023 11:15 UTC

David Rance wrote:

[snip]

> I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I do
> use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server. However I
> would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not listed as usable
> with full fibre (I suppose because it has been superseded by a newer
> model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as long as I connect
> to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't really started to think about that
> yet. I suppose I should!

I have a Vigor 2860 working with full fibre from Zen. Put the Zen
credentials in the WAN2 settings, and connect WAN2 to the Openreach
optical modem using an Ethernet cable.

You should think about VoIP. I use <https://www.voipfone.co.uk/> and it
works OK for me.

--
Graham J

Re: Zen

<kbut3sF36v1U11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5085&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5085

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 9 May 2023 12:37:16 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 9 May 2023 12:37 UTC

On Tue, 09 May 2023 10:28:07 +0100, David Rance wrote:

> I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I do
> use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server. However I
> would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not listed as usable
> with full fibre (I suppose because it has been superseded by a newer
> model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as long as I connect
> to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't really started to think about that
> yet. I suppose I should!

I had a Vigor 2860 when the changeover happened. I just plugged a short
cable from the ONT into the WAN2 (ethernet) port. It just worked.

I did see that the CPU was near maxing out at 300 Mb/s, so I decided to
upgrade to a 2866, keeping the 2860 as a fallback. That will serve me well
up to 1Gb/s if I upgrade in the future.

Re: Zen

<mGtZnanF3jWkFwP4@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5086&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5086

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 13:34:13 +0100
 by: David Rance - Tue, 9 May 2023 12:34 UTC

On Tue, 9 May 2023 12:15:52 Graham J wrote:

>David Rance wrote:
>
>> I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I
>>do use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server.
>>However I would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not
>>listed as usable with full fibre (I suppose because it has been
>>superseded by a newer model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't
>>work as long as I connect to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't
>>really started to think about that yet. I suppose I should!
>
>I have a Vigor 2860 working with full fibre from Zen. Put the Zen
>credentials in the WAN2 settings, and connect WAN2 to the Openreach
>optical modem using an Ethernet cable.

That's encouraging.

>You should think about VoIP. I use <https://www.voipfone.co.uk/> and
>it works OK for me.

I know you're right! ;-) And thanks for that link.

David

Re: Zen

<uSpbinoUAkWkFwfR@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5087&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5087

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 13:44:04 +0100
 by: David Rance - Tue, 9 May 2023 12:44 UTC

On Tue, 9 May 2023 12:37:16 Bob Eager wrote:

>On Tue, 09 May 2023 10:28:07 +0100, David Rance wrote:
>
>> I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I do
>> use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server. However I
>> would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not listed as usable
>> with full fibre (I suppose because it has been superseded by a newer
>> model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as long as I connect
>> to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't really started to think about that
>> yet. I suppose I should!
>
>I had a Vigor 2860 when the changeover happened. I just plugged a short
>cable from the ONT into the WAN2 (ethernet) port. It just worked.
>
>I did see that the CPU was near maxing out at 300 Mb/s, so I decided to
>upgrade to a 2866, keeping the 2860 as a fallback. That will serve me well
>up to 1Gb/s if I upgrade in the future.

Ah, so full fibre will be stretching the 2860 to its limit which, I
suppose, is why it's not on Draytek's recommended list.

David

Re: Zen

<kbv2nmF36v1U12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5088&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5088

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 9 May 2023 14:13:10 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 9 May 2023 14:13 UTC

On Tue, 09 May 2023 13:44:04 +0100, David Rance wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2023 12:37:16 Bob Eager wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 May 2023 10:28:07 +0100, David Rance wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that they offered a Fritzbox which made me wonder. Yes, I do
>>> use VPN as well as running the mail server and a web server. However I
>>> would want continue using my Vigor 2860. Although not listed as usable
>>> with full fibre (I suppose because it has been superseded by a newer
>>> model) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as long as I
>>> connect to WAN2 from the ONT. VOIP? I haven't really started to think
>>> about that yet. I suppose I should!
>>
>>I had a Vigor 2860 when the changeover happened. I just plugged a short
>>cable from the ONT into the WAN2 (ethernet) port. It just worked.
>>
>>I did see that the CPU was near maxing out at 300 Mb/s, so I decided to
>>upgrade to a 2866, keeping the 2860 as a fallback. That will serve me
>>well up to 1Gb/s if I upgrade in the future.
>
> Ah, so full fibre will be stretching the 2860 to its limit which, I
> suppose, is why it's not on Draytek's recommended list.

Depends on the speed. I went for FTTP at 300/50 as that was cost neutral
compared to FTTC. I wanted a good upload speed. The 100 down product would
have been fine, and I suspect the 300/50 wouldn't show that much of a
loss.

The 2860 was 10 years old, so I treated myself to the 2866! Configuration
pretty well identical.

Re: Zen

<kc0a45FmlqcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5099&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5099

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 02:25:25 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Wed, 10 May 2023 01:25 UTC

On 07/05/2023 19:57, Woody wrote:
> Long standing users of Zen had and still will have an email service, but
> they withdrew it for new customers some time ago. Their argument is that
> many people regularly change ISP which causes major problems with email
> addresses.

It's a good argument but could cause problems for those who don't like
using free email accounts because of privacy concerns.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Zen

<kc0apmFmlqcU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5100&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5100

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 02:36:54 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Wed, 10 May 2023 01:36 UTC

On 08/05/2023 13:20, grinch wrote:
> On 07/05/2023 22:00, David Wade wrote:
>> On 07/05/2023 19:31, Richard Tobin wrote:

>>> mms, and ten more I can
>>> supposedly configure, but I never use them.
>>>

>> Legacy service. New users do not receive any Zen e-mail service

> Works really well if you know how to use it.

Yes and that is a problem, Fritz has different terminology for various
things that need to be deciphered.

e.g. What normal people call "Port Forwarding", Fritz call, as far as I
can tell, "Port Sharing".

Also for some of the people, like me, who are attracted to Zen for
technical reasons the Fritz box is just too basic and too locked down.

Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Zen

<u3fhfg$k68j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5101&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5101

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 08:35:09 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 10 May 2023 07:35 UTC

grinch wrote:
> On 07/05/2023 22:00, David Wade wrote:
>> On 07/05/2023 19:31, Richard Tobin wrote:

>>> mms, and ten more I can
>>> supposedly configure, but I never use them.
>>>

>> Legacy service. New users do not receive any Zen e-mail service

> Works really well if you know how to use it.

But the Fritzbox:

- Does not respond reliably to pings from the internet, so useless if
you need to remotely monitor the reliability of a connection - this is
essential for proper customer support of ADSL, necessary for FTTC, but
hopefully should not be necessary for FTTP.

- No capability for LAN-to-LAN VPNs, so again no use for a proper level
of customer support.

However, the built-in proprietary "Digigal Voice" capability, and WiFi
mesh capability, those do make it a good one stop solution for an ISP
with unsophisticated customers. Which I why I am surprised that Zen
offer it!

--
Graham J

Re: Zen

<u3flma$km6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5102&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5102

From: fred@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 09:47:05 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 10 May 2023 08:47 UTC

On 10/05/2023 02:36, Brian Gregory wrote:

> Yes and that is a problem, Fritz has different terminology for various
> things that need to be deciphered.
>
> e.g. What normal people call "Port Forwarding", Fritz call, as far as I
> can tell, "Port Sharing".

And at least one other router manufacturer calls "Virtual Server"

take your pick :-\

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Zen

<r1pm5idtbi8b6qgki6kp1aerhq58ur88vo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5103&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5103

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 10:51:04 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 10 May 2023 09:51 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 08:35:09 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

[re the Fritzbox]
>However, the built-in proprietary "Digigal Voice" capability, and WiFi
>mesh capability, those do make it a good one stop solution for an ISP
>with unsophisticated customers. Which I why I am surprised that Zen
>offer it!

Why is it surprising that a company would offer a piece of technology
that is easy to set up, works reliably, and does everything that nealy
all of their customers require?

The fact that it can work with ADSL, VDSL and fibre means that they
can issue the same equipment to all their customers regardless of
upgrade status, which must make it logistically easier to provide help
over the phone.

I received my Fritzbox 7530 about a fortnight before the digital
upgrade, so was able to try its performance on VDSL (FTTC) in
comparison with the Draytek 2762ac I'd been using before. Not only was
its VDSL downstream speed slightly faster, but the wi-fi coverage is
more consistent throughout my house. I think it's misleading to
denounce it as rubbish for lack of some obscure feature hardly anyone
would want, or because the phone system is proprietory. I can use my
computers on the internet, I can stream TV programmes, and I can use
the phone, and everything works.

Rod.

Re: Zen

<u3ftnk$lmns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5104&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5104

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 12:04:20 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 10 May 2023 11:04 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 10:51:04 +0100
Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2023 08:35:09 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> [re the Fritzbox]
> >However, the built-in proprietary "Digigal Voice" capability, and
> >WiFi mesh capability, those do make it a good one stop solution for
> >an ISP with unsophisticated customers. Which I why I am surprised
> >that Zen offer it!
>
> Why is it surprising that a company would offer a piece of technology
> that is easy to set up, works reliably, and does everything that nealy
> all of their customers require?
>
> The fact that it can work with ADSL, VDSL and fibre means that they
> can issue the same equipment to all their customers regardless of
> upgrade status, which must make it logistically easier to provide help
> over the phone.
>
> I received my Fritzbox 7530 about a fortnight before the digital
> upgrade, so was able to try its performance on VDSL (FTTC) in
> comparison with the Draytek 2762ac I'd been using before. Not only was
> its VDSL downstream speed slightly faster, but the wi-fi coverage is
> more consistent throughout my house. I think it's misleading to
> denounce it as rubbish for lack of some obscure feature hardly anyone
> would want, or because the phone system is proprietory. I can use my
> computers on the internet, I can stream TV programmes, and I can use
> the phone, and everything works.
>
> Rod.

Hear, hear! I am unabashedly an unsophisticated customer, and it works
for me just fine. As it probably does for the majority of its users.
If you need something more sophisticated, then, yes, buy yourself such a
device.

--
Davey.

Re: Zen

<kc3qelFa82tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5109&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5109

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 10:22:28 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Thu, 11 May 2023 09:22 UTC

On 10 May 2023 08:35, Graham J wrote:
> grinch wrote:

>>> Legacy service. New users do not receive any Zen e-mail service

>> Works really well if you know how to use it.
>
> But the Fritzbox:
>
> - Does not respond reliably to pings from the internet, so useless if
> you need to remotely monitor the reliability of a connection - this is
> essential for proper customer support of ADSL, necessary for FTTC, but
> hopefully should not be necessary for FTTP.

No. As the TSA says, this should be in a management overlay not in
userland