Most people have two reasons for doing anything -- a good reason, and the real reason.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

SubjectAuthor
* Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costsJava Jive
+* Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costsTweed
|`- Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costsJava Jive
`* Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costsAndy Burns
 `* Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costsJava Jive
  `- Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costsRupert Moss-Eccardt

1
Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

<u3b55r$3tpdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5069&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5069

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 16:40:42 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 8 May 2023 15:40 UTC

Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/may/08/frustrated-broadband-customers-face-poor-service-and-rising-costs

"Users are urged to check when their contract ends and switch, as bills
go up and complaints look set to soar"

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

<u3b5a6$3tq4m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5071&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5071

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 15:43:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zHIj20Kp+P10NlW5LViGLVsX3eE=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 8 May 2023 15:43 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs
> https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/may/08/frustrated-broadband-customers-face-poor-service-and-rising-costs
>
> "Users are urged to check when their contract ends and switch, as bills
> go up and complaints look set to soar"

Seems to more about the woes of one customer with one particular ISP than
anything more substantial.

Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

<kbskc2F6qh9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5072&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5072

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 16:55:46 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 8 May 2023 15:55 UTC

Java Jive quoted:

> "Users are urged to check when their contract ends and switch"

Given that most people will be on openreach provided DSL, will switching
actually change much, for most of them?

Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

<u3b8l5$3u5rf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5073&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5073

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 17:40:04 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 8 May 2023 16:40 UTC

On 08/05/2023 16:43, Tweed wrote:

> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs
>> https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/may/08/frustrated-broadband-customers-face-poor-service-and-rising-costs
>>
>> "Users are urged to check when their contract ends and switch, as bills
>> go up and complaints look set to soar"
>
> Seems to more about the woes of one customer with one particular ISP than
> anything more substantial.

The major part from the beginning certainly is - they seem to have
majored on them/her because their complaint record is so much worse than
others, and she was a good example of why. However, towards the end
there is more general information.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

<u3b8sg$3u6lo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5074&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5074

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 17:43:58 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 8 May 2023 16:43 UTC

On 08/05/2023 16:55, Andy Burns wrote:

> Java Jive quoted:
>>
>> "Users are urged to check when their contract ends and switch"
>
> Given that most people will be on openreach provided DSL, will switching
> actually change much, for most of them?

Well, that's always the question, isn't it?! However, while obviously
a large proportion of faults are related to the underlying hardware, not
all of them are, and one might at least be able to avoid the latter by
switching.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Frustrated broadband customers face poor service and rising costs

<kbv4leFipp7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5089&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5089

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 15:46:06 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Tue, 9 May 2023 14:46 UTC

On 8 May 2023 17:43, Java Jive wrote:
> On 08/05/2023 16:55, Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>> Java Jive quoted:
>>>
>>> "Users are urged to check when their contract ends and switch"
>>
>> Given that most people will be on openreach provided DSL, will switching
>> actually change much, for most of them?
>
> Well, that's always the question, isn't it?! However, while obviously
> a large proportion of faults are related to the underlying hardware, not
> all of them are, and one might at least be able to avoid the latter by
> switching.

Firstly the customer service will likely vary and some ISPs might be
more comfortable driving OR to check and fix things.

Secondly, different routers cope differently with long and noisy lines.