It's always darkest just before the lights go out. -- Alex Clark

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)

SubjectAuthor
* Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)Woody
+* Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)Java Jive
|`- Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)Ken
`* Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)William Stickers
 `- Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)MikeS

1
Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)

<uc5jtu$31squ$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5092&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5092

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 19:42:06 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:42 UTC

I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and messages.

The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.

It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
means of a second text and I have 2½ minutes to complete the access
sequence.

This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text whilst
keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data already
entered?

TIA

Re: Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)

<uc5lpo$32au2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5093&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5093

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:13:53 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 19:13 UTC

On 23/08/2023 19:42, Woody wrote:
> I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and messages.
>
> The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
> link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
> Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.
>
> It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
> and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
> means of a second text and I have 2½ minutes to complete the access
> sequence.
>
> This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text whilst
> keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data already
> entered?

Hopefully, the way that I would try to do it on my Android phablet ...

If the Messages app is already/still open from reading the first text,
the area to the left of the Home button contains a 'soft' button to
display all the apps currently running in a similar manner to <Alt-Tab>
in Windows. You can select the Messages app from there and read and/or
copy the code. Then you can use the same button to switch back to the
browser to enter it. Even if you closed down the Messages app after
reading the first SMS, you should be able to press the Home button,
relaunch Messages, and then use the above method to get back to the
browser in the same state that you left it.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)

<%ntFM.1047709$euB5.880740@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5094&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5094

From: bill.stickers@innocent.com (William Stickers)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:48:11 +0100
 by: William Stickers - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 19:48 UTC

Woody wrote:

> I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and messages.
>
> The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
> link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
> Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.
>
> It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
> and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
> means of a second text and I have 2? minutes to complete the access
> sequence.
>
> This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text whilst
> keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data already
> entered?
>
> TIA

I find the easiest way of doing it is to pair the
Messages
app with my laptop. Go to
<https://messages.google.com/web/authentication> on your
pc/laptop and then scan the QR from the Messages app on
your phone. Much easier than tapping the Recent button on
your phone.

Re: Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)

<uc5s19$33gub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5095&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5095

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 22:00:27 +0100
 by: MikeS - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:00 UTC

On 23/08/2023 20:48, William Stickers wrote:
> Woody wrote:
>>
>> I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and messages.
>>
>> The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
>> link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
>> Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.
>>
>> It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
>> and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
>> means of a second text and I have 2? minutes to complete the access
>> sequence.
>>
>> This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text whilst
>> keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data already
>> entered?
>>
>> TIA
>
> I find the easiest way of doing it is to pair the
> Messages
> app with my laptop. Go to
> <https://messages.google.com/web/authentication> on your
> pc/laptop and then scan the QR from the Messages app on
> your phone. Much easier than tapping the Recent button on
> your phone.

When you receive these or any other SMS with a link forward it to your
own email. You can then read that and open the link in comfort on your
PC, laptop or tablet. You can still use the phone to receive the once
use six digit code.

Re: Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)

<ov3eei5gkhlrgd0bkhgu3q5ms41kdnnnmf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5096&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5096

From: ken@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 09:11:05 +0100
 by: Ken - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:11 UTC

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:13:53 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 23/08/2023 19:42, Woody wrote:
>> I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and messages.
>>
>> The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
>> link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
>> Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.
>>
>> It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
>> and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
>> means of a second text and I have 2½ minutes to complete the access
>> sequence.
>>
>> This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text whilst
>> keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data already
>> entered?
>
>Hopefully, the way that I would try to do it on my Android phablet ...
>
>If the Messages app is already/still open from reading the first text,
>the area to the left of the Home button contains a 'soft' button to
>display all the apps currently running in a similar manner to <Alt-Tab>
>in Windows. You can select the Messages app from there and read and/or
>copy the code. Then you can use the same button to switch back to the
>browser to enter it. Even if you closed down the Messages app after
>reading the first SMS, you should be able to press the Home button,
>relaunch Messages, and then use the above method to get back to the
>browser in the same state that you left it.

This is exactly the way to handle it. All Android devices, so far as I
know, have a soft button alongside the home button that allows you to
scroll through the running apps. If you're in Patienthub when the text
arrives press Home then view the text. Copy it to the clipboard, press
the all apps softkey, scroll to Patienthub and paste.