From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Vodafone info request
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:24:36 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:24 UTC

Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
2024. It stated:
"To use our 4G and 5G network, your account information needs to be up
to date. We've noticed that your address details are incomplete - you
can update these through My Vodafone". I've been with Vodafone over 25
years with PAYG and have never given them my address (even when I
complained in writing once they never wrote back!). In my My Vodafone
details, for "Address" it says:
"Account Address

Required

This is the address we'll use to contact you and check your identity.
We'll also send any orders here.

You don't have any saved address".

What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?

--

Jeff

Re: Vodafone info request

<56d35d85-71c5-44a2-bb7b-a2f4acef0641n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5111&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5111

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 03:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Vodafone info request
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 10:22 UTC

On Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 08:24:39 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
> Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
> 2024. It stated:
> "To use our 4G and 5G network, your account information needs to be up
> to date. We've noticed that your address details are incomplete - you
> can update these through My Vodafone". I've been with Vodafone over 25
> years with PAYG and have never given them my address (even when I
> complained in writing once they never wrote back!). In my My Vodafone
> details, for "Address" it says:
> "Account Address
>
> Required
>
> This is the address we'll use to contact you and check your identity.
> We'll also send any orders here.
>
> You don't have any saved address".
>
> What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
> request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Many years ago I provided a phone for my late mum and a Voda P&G SIM. Sadly, I inherited it back nearly twenty years ago. I don't know if Voda have an address for this SIM, which is kept in an old Motorola Timeport (2G phone) in my car for emergency use only (e.g. I lose my own phone or break down somewhere with no O2 or EE coverage)

Re: Vodafone info request

<UGs*ZyHpz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5112&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5112

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 06 Sep 2023 11:47:42 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 10:47 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
> 2024. It stated:
[snip]

> What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
> request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?

Try putting the SIM in a 4G phone and see if it connects to 4G?

There's been a number of these 'you'll need to...' lately which are just
attempts to railroad you into something, and turn out not to be necessary.

Theo

Re: Vodafone info request

<ud9nnf$2fmv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5115&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5115

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:27:43 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 11:27 UTC

On 06/09/2023 11:47, Theo wrote:
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
>> 2024. It stated:
> [snip]
>>
>> What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
>> request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?
>
> Try putting the SIM in a 4G phone and see if it connects to 4G?
>
> There's been a number of these 'you'll need to...' lately which are just
> attempts to railroad you into something, and turn out not to be necessary.

The phone is 4G (and 5G, but it's not available here yet).

There's always Lebara if I get really annoyed with Vodafone. ;-)

--

Jeff

Re: Vodafone info request

<ud9pia$2g1p0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5116&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5116

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:59:07 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 11:59 UTC

On 06/09/2023 08:24, Jeff Layman wrote:
> Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
> 2024. It stated:
> "To use our 4G and 5G network, your account information needs to be up
> to date. We've noticed that your address details are incomplete - you
> can update these through My Vodafone". I've been with Vodafone over 25
> years with PAYG and have never given them my address (even when I
> complained in writing once they never wrote back!). In my My Vodafone
> details, for "Address" it says:
> "Account Address
>
> Required
>
> This is the address we'll use to contact you and check your identity.
> We'll also send any orders here.
>
> You don't have any saved address".
>
> What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
> request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?

I take it that you have checked it is not a phishing scam?

Re: Vodafone info request

<uda1ca$2h2o5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5117&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5117

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:12:26 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:12 UTC

On 06/09/2023 12:59, JMB99 wrote:
> On 06/09/2023 08:24, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
>> 2024. It stated:
>> "To use our 4G and 5G network, your account information needs to be up
>> to date. We've noticed that your address details are incomplete - you
>> can update these through My Vodafone". I've been with Vodafone over 25
>> years with PAYG and have never given them my address (even when I
>> complained in writing once they never wrote back!). In my My Vodafone
>> details, for "Address" it says:
>> "Account Address
>>
>> Required
>>
>> This is the address we'll use to contact you and check your identity.
>> We'll also send any orders here.
>>
>> You don't have any saved address".
>>
>> What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
>> request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?
>

> I take it that you have checked it is not a phishing scam?

The text did come from Vodafone. The info comes from me logging in to my
MyVodafone account.

--

Jeff

Re: Vodafone info request

<ai3hfi5aa291h4j0jgu6t6to5esb4ggf95@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5118&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5118

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 15:37:22 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:37 UTC

On 06 Sep 2023 11:47:42 +0100 (BST), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Got a text from Vodafone yesterday about switching off the 3G network in
>> 2024. It stated:
>[snip]
>>
>> What's this about checking my identity? Anybody else had this text
>> request? I wonder what happens to my account in 2024 if I ignore it?
>
>Try putting the SIM in a 4G phone and see if it connects to 4G?
>
>There's been a number of these 'you'll need to...' lately which are just
>attempts to railroad you into something, and turn out not to be necessary.

I was told by an organisation where I am secretary of the local
committee that I 'needed' to join Facebook. I am satisfied that my
reply made my position clear.