All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

SubjectAuthor
* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
+* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
|`* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesnotya...@gmail.com
| `* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
|  +- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
|  `- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesnotya...@gmail.com
+* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesAbandoned_Trolley
|+- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
|+* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
||+* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesAbandoned_Trolley
|||+* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
|||`* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesChris in Makati
||| +* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
||| `- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesChris
||`* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
|| +- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesAbandoned_Trolley
|| `* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
||  `* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
||   +* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
||   |`* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
||   | +* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesBob Eager
||   | |`- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
||   | +* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
||   | |`* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesScott
||   | | +* New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesJava Jive
||   | | |`- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesTweed
||   | | `- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesChris
||   | `- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesnotya...@gmail.com
||   `- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesTweed
|`- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesnotya...@gmail.com
+- New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rulesAdrian Caspersz
`- Apple vs EU [Was: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules]Java Jive

Pages:123
New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<ud9n72$2fln5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5114&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5114

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:18:56 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 11:18 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571

"New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge point
when it is unveiled on 12 September.

The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
unlike rivals, including Samsung.

A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut waste.

Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C, but
the firm had argued against the EU rule."

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<km3hfi9oqg8v9hhh9goeuslvj5q6iksmp0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5119&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5119

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 15:38:43 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:38 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:18:56 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
>
>"New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
>
>Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge point
>when it is unveiled on 12 September.
>
>The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
>unlike rivals, including Samsung.
>
>A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
>charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut waste.
>
>Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C, but
>the firm had argued against the EU rule."

What will happen outside the EU?

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda3co$2hmab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5120&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5120

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:46:48 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:46 UTC

On 06/09/2023 12:18, Java Jive wrote:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
>
> "New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
>
> Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge point
> when it is unveiled on 12 September.
>
> The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
> unlike rivals, including Samsung.
>
> A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
> charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut waste.
>
> Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C, but
> the firm had argued against the EU rule."

Another piece of anti Brexit trolling ?

Is theres any need to argue about a EU rule when trading in non-EU markets ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<9d9a0c82-5052-4241-9ac9-eec03856eb20n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5121&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5121

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:47 UTC

On Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 15:38:45 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:18:56 +0100, Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid>
> wrote:
> >https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
> >
> >"New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
> >
> >Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge point
> >when it is unveiled on 12 September.

And they are going to slug the charging rate n cheaper models...

> >The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
> >unlike rivals, including Samsung.
> >
> >A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
> >charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut waste.
> >
> >Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C, but
> >the firm had argued against the EU rule."
> What will happen outside the EU?

You mean in Rip Off Brexit Britain. Apple will probably carry on selling phone that need a charger incompatible with everything else and a phone incompatible with every other charger. So you will need to buy two and take them both with you on a trip.

Oh almost forgot or you can avoid four decades of Apple lock ins and buy some other phone...

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<q15hfitstrdsbdj29l4e81elks7b27depe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5122&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5122

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 16:06:39 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:06 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:47:53 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
<notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 15:38:45 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:18:56 +0100, Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>> >https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
>> >
>> >"New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
>> >
>> >Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge point
>> >when it is unveiled on 12 September.
>
>And they are going to slug the charging rate n cheaper models...
>

>> >The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
>> >unlike rivals, including Samsung.
>> >
>> >A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
>> >charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut waste.
>> >
>> >Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C, but
>> >the firm had argued against the EU rule."
>> What will happen outside the EU?
>
>You mean in Rip Off Brexit Britain.

No, I mean significant markets such as US, Asia, Africa, Australia etc
which probably account for far more sales than the EU.

>Apple will probably carry on selling phone that need a charger incompatible with everything else and a phone incompatible with every other charger. So you will need to buy two and take them both with you on a trip.

How is it incompatible? I have a lightning to USB lead I can use
abroad.

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<hc5hfi5brcdgqo7dcmjuf4bl296tpk6o67@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5123&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5123

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 16:07:31 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:07 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:46:48 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
<fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>On 06/09/2023 12:18, Java Jive wrote:
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
>>
>> "New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
>>
>> Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge point
>> when it is unveiled on 12 September.
>>
>> The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
>> unlike rivals, including Samsung.
>>
>> A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
>> charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut waste.
>>
>> Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C, but
>> the firm had argued against the EU rule."
>>
>Another piece of anti Brexit trolling ?
>
>Is theres any need to argue about a EU rule when trading in non-EU markets ?

To be fair to OP, I thought we still shared some standards with the
single market.

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda4kq$2hvch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5124&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5124

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:08:06 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:08 UTC

On 06/09/2023 15:46, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 06/09/2023 12:18, Java Jive wrote:
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
>>
>> "New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
>>
>> Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge
>> point when it is unveiled on 12 September.
>>
>> The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
>> unlike rivals, including Samsung.
>>
>> A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
>> charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut
>> waste.
>>
>> Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C,
>> but the firm had argued against the EU rule."
>
> Another piece of anti Brexit trolling ?

No. What Brexshitters never seem to understand is that just leaving the
EU doesn't mean that we aren't still affected by it in many ways, the
only difference is that now we have no *SAY* in how we are affected by
it. For example ...

> Is theres any need to argue about a EU rule when trading in non-EU
> markets ?

Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
connectors, hence what the EU has decided will affect what is sold in
this country too. Hence my posting it here.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda4qe$2hva6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5125&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5125

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:11:10 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:11 UTC

> Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
> economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
> connectors,

Really ?

What do US spec iPhones look like ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda5if$2i4ff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5126&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5126

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:23:55 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:23 UTC

On 06/09/2023 16:06, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:47:53 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
> <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 15:38:45 UTC+1, Scott wrote:

>> And they are going to slug the charging rate n cheaper models...

>>> What will happen outside the EU?
>>
>> You mean in Rip Off Brexit Britain.
>
> No, I mean significant markets such as US, Asia, Africa, Australia etc
> which probably account for far more sales than the EU.

Don't think so, though it depends on how you frame the question and who
you ask ...

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/04/growth-summit-2023-world-biggest-trading-blocs/

"4. The European Union

The European single market embraces all 27 members of the European Union
(EU). Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are members of the European
Economic Area with full access to the single market, which was launched
in 1993. Switzerland has partial access.

EU nations account for 14% of global trade and have a combined GDP of
€14.5 trillion ($16 trillion), making the EU the world’s third-largest
economy after China and the United States."

https://policy.trade.ec.europa.eu/eu-trade-relationships-country-and-region/eu-position-world-trade_en

"Europe is the world's largest exporter of manufactured goods and
services, and is itself the biggest export market for around 80 countries.

Together, the European Union's members account for 16% of world imports
and exports."

So the EU is in the same ballpark as other large economies and most
other regional trading blocks, the standout exception of the latter
being the RCEP which has about double the share of global GDP.

>> Apple will probably carry on selling phone that need a charger incompatible with everything else and a phone incompatible with every other charger. So you will need to buy two and take them both with you on a trip.
>
> How is it incompatible? I have a lightning to USB lead I can use
> abroad.

Most probably he's talking bollocks anyway; if Apple have to use USB-C
charging in the EU, they'll use it everywhere, because nothing else will
make economic sense.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda6ki$2ia3p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5127&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5127

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:42:07 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:42 UTC

On 06/09/2023 16:11, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

>> Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
>> economical to make two models of the same phone with different
>> charging connectors,
>
> Really ?
>
> What do US spec iPhones look like ?

AIUI, pretty much the same as those sold in Europe and the rest of the
World, except the newest can use the mmWave 5G that is available in N
America, but not so much elsewhere. In particular, I can find no
evidence of different charging connectors being used.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda791$2i6q7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5128&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5128

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:53:05 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:53 UTC

> AIUI, pretty much the same as those sold in Europe and the rest of the
> World, except the newest can use the mmWave 5G that is available in N
> America, but not so much elsewhere.  In particular, I can find no
> evidence of different charging connectors being used.

Your suggestion that it will not be economical for them to make 2 models
seems a bit strange to me - as it looks to me like there are at least 5
global variants currently in production.

As far as I can make out, the majority of tech journalists seem to
welcome the introduction of USB-C anyway on account of the possibility
of more rapid charging.

I dont understand what the actual problem is

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<5g9hfip7c5i3o2ne5tu83gebm2u0u9a1ec@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5129&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5129

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 17:18:38 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:18 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:08:06 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 06/09/2023 15:46, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
>> On 06/09/2023 12:18, Java Jive wrote:
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66708571
>>>
>>> "New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules
>>>
>>> Apple's latest iPhone will almost certainly feature a USB-C charge
>>> point when it is unveiled on 12 September.
>>>
>>> The firm's phones currently use its proprietary Lightning adaptor,
>>> unlike rivals, including Samsung.
>>>
>>> A European Union law requires phone manufacturers to adopt a common
>>> charging connection by December 2024 to save consumers money and cut
>>> waste.
>>>
>>> Most new Apple products such as the latest iPads already use USB-C,
>>> but the firm had argued against the EU rule."
>>
>> Another piece of anti Brexit trolling ?
>
>No. What Brexshitters never seem to understand is that just leaving the
>EU doesn't mean that we aren't still affected by it in many ways, the
>only difference is that now we have no *SAY* in how we are affected by
>it. For example ...
>
>> Is theres any need to argue about a EU rule when trading in non-EU
>> markets ?
>
>Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
>economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
>connectors, hence what the EU has decided will affect what is sold in
>this country too. Hence my posting it here.

Well, plenty of manufacturers produce products with different plug
types (and indeed voltage) for different markets.

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<uda90j$2imbl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5130&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5130

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:22:43 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:22 UTC

> Well, plenty of manufacturers produce products with different plug
> types (and indeed voltage) for different markets.

And in that regard, I am not even sure its an Apple problem - as the
product is bought in from a foreign supplier

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udae5v$2jh7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5131&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5131

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 18:50:51 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:50 UTC

On 06/09/2023 16:53, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

[Quoting broken: Java Jive said:]

>> AIUI, pretty much the same as those sold in Europe and the rest of the
>> World, except the newest can use the mmWave 5G that is available in N
>> America, but not so much elsewhere.  In particular, I can find no
>> evidence of different charging connectors being used.
>
> Your suggestion that it will not be economical for them to make 2 models
> seems a bit strange to me - as it looks to me like there are at least 5
> global variants currently in production.

But mostly they only vary due to necessity, such as different wavebands
available, or facilities are dropped for legal reasons; AFAIAA, Apple
doesn't deliberately increase its costs by using different hardware for
components required in common across all possible variants; in
particular, I see absolutely no evidence of their using different
charging connectors on different regional variations on the same model
of phone.

> As far as I can make out, the majority of tech journalists seem to
> welcome the introduction of USB-C anyway on account of the possibility
> of more rapid charging.

Exactly.

> I dont understand what the actual problem is

[So why are you arguing about it?]

There isn't one, except:

1) Apple have been resisting the change for years;
2) Apple trolls in ngs and other public media keep arguing against it.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udafpa$2jpbe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5132&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5132

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:18:14 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 18:18 UTC

On 06/09/2023 17:18, Scott wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:08:06 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>>
>> Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
>> economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
>> connectors, hence what the EU has decided will affect what is sold in
>> this country too. Hence my posting it here.
>
> Well, plenty of manufacturers produce products with different plug
> types (and indeed voltage) for different markets.

But leads with different plugs at the wall end to match different
countries' electrical supplies usually have the *SAME* connector at the
appliance end!

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<qaihfih35dnpd50pvh05a6ek3ibpuucg9d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5133&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5133

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 19:51:35 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 18:51 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:18:14 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 06/09/2023 17:18, Scott wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:08:06 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
>>> economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
>>> connectors, hence what the EU has decided will affect what is sold in
>>> this country too. Hence my posting it here.
>>
>> Well, plenty of manufacturers produce products with different plug
>> types (and indeed voltage) for different markets.
>
>But leads with different plugs at the wall end to match different
>countries' electrical supplies usually have the *SAME* connector at the
>appliance end!

Depends what you mean by 'connector'. A lot of appliances have the
mains lead hard wired. My point is that if they can produce different
variants of other products, why not phones? They are coping with
different boxes, different languages, different voltages, different
frequencies, different plugs so why not a different component in a
batch of phones destined for a particular market? Obviously, the two
sockets would need to be designed the same size so both will fit the
same case.

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udajin$2kc9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5134&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5134

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:22:59 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:22 UTC

On 06/09/2023 19:51, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:18:14 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/2023 17:18, Scott wrote:

>>> Well, plenty of manufacturers produce products with different plug
>>> types (and indeed voltage) for different markets.
>>
>> But leads with different plugs at the wall end to match different
>> countries' electrical supplies usually have the *SAME* connector at the
>> appliance end!
>
> Depends what you mean by 'connector'. A lot of appliances have the
> mains lead hard wired.

That is still a connection which is identical at the appliance end.

> My point is that if they can produce different
> variants of other products, why not phones? They are coping with
> different boxes, different languages, different voltages, different
> frequencies, different plugs so why not a different component in a
> batch of phones destined for a particular market? Obviously, the two
> sockets would need to be designed the same size so both will fit the
> same case.

Because it would be an unnecessary and avoidable extra manufacturing
cost that would erode their profits.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udajkg$2kcgv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5135&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5135

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:24:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nWBpJFdEYu0dqBrPV0xjwRKjWGc=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:24 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:18:14 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/2023 17:18, Scott wrote:

>>> Well, plenty of manufacturers produce products with different plug
>>> types (and indeed voltage) for different markets.
>>
>> But leads with different plugs at the wall end to match different
>> countries' electrical supplies usually have the *SAME* connector at the
>> appliance end!
>
> Depends what you mean by 'connector'. A lot of appliances have the
> mains lead hard wired. My point is that if they can produce different
> variants of other products, why not phones? They are coping with
> different boxes, different languages, different voltages, different
> frequencies, different plugs so why not a different component in a
> batch of phones destined for a particular market? Obviously, the two
> sockets would need to be designed the same size so both will fit the
> same case.

Well we will all know on Tuesday

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udama2$2kq15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5136&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5136

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:09:36 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:09 UTC

>> I dont understand what the actual problem is
>
> [So why are you arguing about it?]
>
> There isn't one, except:
>
> 1) Apple have been resisting the change for years;
> 2) Apple trolls in ngs and other public media keep arguing against it.

I am not arguing about it as I don’t see it as a problem - you might
remember that you brought the subject up.

Apple may not deliberately increase their costs, but they definitely and
deliberately increase their prices - I am told that the firm that
actually makes the iPhones sells them to Apple for between 30 and 50 USD.

Clearly all the Apple groupies out there who are unable to consider any
other phone have more dollars than sense and Apple takes advantage of
their gullibility – leading me to suspect that Apples objections are not
based on any sound economic grounds.

It’s more likely that they wanted their own proprietary standard to
become dominant in the market place in order to harvest a sackload of
royalties and licensing fees. I have absolutely no sympathy for their
“dilemma” - and would still have none even if they paid any tax in this
country

This is all vaguely reminiscent of the BetaMax / VHS wars of long ago,
but the difference here is that the regulator has stepped in and
directed the (predictable) result

Is there anything in the EU directive which require USB-C to be the ONLY
(wired) method of charging ? – I am assuming that wireless charging
cannot be outlawed

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udaqo8$2lese$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5137&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5137

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 22:25:24 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:25 UTC

On 06/09/2023 21:09, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

>>> I dont understand what the actual problem is
>>
>> [So why are you arguing about it?]
>>
>> There isn't one, except:
>>
>> 1) Apple have been resisting the change for years;
>> 2) Apple trolls in ngs and other public media keep arguing against it.
>
> I am not arguing about it as I don’t see it as a problem - you might
> remember that you brought the subject up.

I brought up the subject of Apple apparently at last yielding to the EU
as a subject of some interest here. It was you who started arguing
about it by claiming it had something to do with Brexshit.

> Apple may not deliberately increase their costs, but they definitely and
> deliberately increase their prices

The scale of Apple's profit margins based entirely on their name is well
known.

> Is there anything in the EU directive which require USB-C to be the ONLY
> (wired) method of charging ? – I am assuming that wireless charging
> cannot be outlawed

Wireless charging is WIP:
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2022/10/24/common-charger-eu-ministers-give-final-approval-to-one-size-fits-all-charging-port/

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udasdr$2ll2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5138&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5138

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 22:54:03 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:54 UTC

On 06/09/2023 22:25, Java Jive wrote:

>>> [So why are you arguing about it?]
>>>
>>> There isn't one, except:
>>>
>>> 1) Apple have been resisting the change for years;
>>> 2) Apple trolls in ngs and other public media keep arguing against it.
>>
>> I am not arguing about it as I don’t see it as a problem - you might
>> remember that you brought the subject up.
>
> I brought up the subject of Apple apparently at last yielding to the EU
> as a subject of some interest here.  It was you who started arguing
> about it by claiming it had something to do with Brexshit.
>
>> Apple may not deliberately increase their costs, but they definitely
>> and deliberately increase their prices
>
> The scale of Apple's profit margins based entirely on their name is well
> known.
>
>> Is there anything in the EU directive which require USB-C to be the
>> ONLY (wired) method of charging ? – I am assuming that wireless
>> charging cannot be outlawed
>
> Wireless charging is WIP:
> https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2022/10/24/common-charger-eu-ministers-give-final-approval-to-one-size-fits-all-charging-port/

so .. thats 2 of us not arguing about it

should be fairly easy to drop the subject then ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<udatn9$2lsnm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5139&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5139

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 23:16:05 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 22:16 UTC

On 06/09/2023 22:54, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

> so .. thats 2 of us not arguing about it

If you're not arguing about it, why write ...

On 06/09/2023 15:46, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

> Another piece of anti Brexit trolling ?
>
> Is theres any need to argue about a EU rule when trading in non-EU
> markets ?
> should be fairly easy to drop the subject then ?

Would have been better not to have started it by your own non-sequitur
Brexshit trolling.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<jn0jfipena3q2updepo5uulql61t6jt9ej@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5140&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5140

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 09:03:52 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:03 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:22:59 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 06/09/2023 19:51, Scott wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:18:14 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> But leads with different plugs at the wall end to match different
>>> countries' electrical supplies usually have the *SAME* connector at the
>>> appliance end!
>>
>> Depends what you mean by 'connector'. A lot of appliances have the
>> mains lead hard wired.
>
>That is still a connection which is identical at the appliance end.

Even for 110 volts where the current is doubled?

>> My point is that if they can produce different
>> variants of other products, why not phones? They are coping with
>> different boxes, different languages, different voltages, different
>> frequencies, different plugs so why not a different component in a
>> batch of phones destined for a particular market? Obviously, the two
>> sockets would need to be designed the same size so both will fit the
>> same case.
>
>Because it would be an unnecessary and avoidable extra manufacturing
>cost that would erode their profits.

Are you seriously saying that substitution of one component in a batch
of phones mass produced in the far east at low labour cost would make
any significant difference to the unit cost of a product that is
retailing at several hundred dollars?

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<6j2jfi5hoinqdh8mq39kfltfms8jkc3l4f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5141&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5141

From: mail@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 09:38:51 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:38 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:11:10 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
<fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>> Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
>> economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
>> connectors,
>
>Really ?
>
>What do US spec iPhones look like ?

There's no published spec yet because the new range of iPhones won't
be announced for several more weeks. But chances are it will use a
USB-C charging port.

Re: New iPhone, new charger: Apple bends to EU rules

<fv4jfipih0crbkpfms4nk0bgk69i74r187@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5143&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5143

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 10:12:36 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:12 UTC

On Thu, 07 Sep 2023 09:38:51 +0100, Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:11:10 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
><fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>> Apple will have to follow EU rules worldwide, because it won't be
>>> economical to make two models of the same phone with different charging
>>> connectors,
>>
>>Really ?
>>
>>What do US spec iPhones look like ?
>
>There's no published spec yet because the new range of iPhones won't
>be announced for several more weeks. But chances are it will use a
>USB-C charging port.

Do you have a source for this?