Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind. -- Wm. Shakespeare

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

SubjectAuthor
* One million cancel broadband as living costs riseJava Jive
+* Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseAndy Burns
|+- Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseAdrian Caspersz
|`* Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseTheo
| `- Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseJason H
`* Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs risegrinch
 +- Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseMikeS
 `* Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseChris
  `* Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseGraham J
   +- Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs riseChris
   `- Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs risenotya...@gmail.com

1
One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u452cr$8kq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5125&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5125

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 12:32:41 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 18 May 2023 11:32 UTC

One million cancel broadband as living costs rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65622403

"Up to one million people cancelled their broadband in the last year
because of the high cost of living, a survey by Citizens Advice suggests.

The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
social tariffs or special low-cost packages.

Watchdog Ofcom has warned 4.3 million eligible people are missing the
deals."

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<kcn19eFe4l9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5127&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5127

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 17:15:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 18 May 2023 16:15 UTC

Java Jive wrote:

> The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
> social tariffs or special low-cost packages.

Outside of this group, how many people are aware of the
"basic broadband" offerings?

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<kcogbeFl36pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5130&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5130

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:38:54 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 19 May 2023 05:38 UTC

On 18/05/2023 17:15, Andy Burns wrote:
> Java Jive wrote:
>
>> The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
>> social tariffs or special low-cost packages.
>
> Outside of this group, how many people are aware of the
> "basic broadband" offerings?

Government help is available for lots of things, that people sadly don't
claim and remain stuck in their own predicament.

Heating ...
https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/low-income

Insulation ...
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-energy-company-obligation-find-out-if-you-are-eligible

Free Training ...
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-a-skills-bootcamp

Pension Credit ... inc free/discounted TV Licence
https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit

The free training one is a big one - drag the next delivery driver you
see off their motorcycle and point them at that!

--
Adrian C

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u47djo$kjhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5132&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5132

From: grinch@somewhere.net (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 09:56:24 +0100
 by: grinch - Fri, 19 May 2023 08:56 UTC

On 18/05/2023 12:32, Java Jive wrote:
> One million cancel broadband as living costs rise
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65622403
>
> "Up to one million people cancelled their broadband in the last year
> because of the high cost of living, a survey by Citizens Advice suggests.
>
> The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
> social tariffs or special low-cost packages.
>
> Watchdog Ofcom has warned 4.3 million eligible people are missing the
> deals."

To quote the BBC article " Citizens Advice said its survey of 6,000
people suggested "

Lies dam lies etc ,how much truth can one infer from such a small sample
size.

Lazy journalists probably yes.

I'm sure that if the industry had lost a million customers they would be
shouting from the rooftops about.

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u47eje$kopq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5133&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5133

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 10:13:17 +0100
 by: MikeS - Fri, 19 May 2023 09:13 UTC

On 19/05/2023 09:56, grinch wrote:
> On 18/05/2023 12:32, Java Jive wrote:
>> One million cancel broadband as living costs rise
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65622403
>>
>> "Up to one million people cancelled their broadband in the last year
>> because of the high cost of living, a survey by Citizens Advice suggests.
>>
>> The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
>> social tariffs or special low-cost packages.
>>
>> Watchdog Ofcom has warned 4.3 million eligible people are missing the
>> deals."
>>

> To quote the BBC article " Citizens Advice said its survey of 6,000
> people suggested "
>
> Lies dam lies etc ,how much truth can one infer from such a small sample
> size.
>
> Lazy journalists probably yes.
>
> I'm sure that if the industry had lost a million customers they would be
> shouting from the rooftops about.

There were about 27.5 million UK subscribers in 2021 so losing 1 million
is less than 4%. Probably covered by the vast price increases paid by
the remaining 26.5 million.

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<N3D*iPDgz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5134&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5134

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 19 May 2023 13:18:43 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 19 May 2023 12:18 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Java Jive wrote:
>
> > The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
> > social tariffs or special low-cost packages.
>
> Outside of this group, how many people are aware of the
> "basic broadband" offerings?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/broadband-social-tariffs/

The MSE newsletter has mentioned it, and gets sent out to 8.5 million every week.

Theo

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u484si$n8qr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5139&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5139

From: DarthPiriteze@deathstar.gal (Jason H)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 16:33:38 +0100
 by: Jason H - Fri, 19 May 2023 15:33 UTC

On 5/19/23 13:18, Theo wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Java Jive wrote:
>>
>>> The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
>>> social tariffs or special low-cost packages.
>>
>> Outside of this group, how many people are aware of the
>> "basic broadband" offerings?
>
> https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/broadband-social-tariffs/
>
> The MSE newsletter has mentioned it, and gets sent out to 8.5 million every week.
>
> Theo

One of my reservations about MSE is his advice doesn't necessarily reach
the people who need it most.

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u4a07p$114q6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5143&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5143

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 08:26:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BFwZsg4WI4MXOQDCT37xINhOJZE=
 by: Chris - Sat, 20 May 2023 08:26 UTC

grinch <grinch@somewhere.net> wrote:
> On 18/05/2023 12:32, Java Jive wrote:
>> One million cancel broadband as living costs rise
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65622403
>>
>> "Up to one million people cancelled their broadband in the last year
>> because of the high cost of living, a survey by Citizens Advice suggests.
>>
>> The charity said those struggling could have benefited from cheaper
>> social tariffs or special low-cost packages.
>>
>> Watchdog Ofcom has warned 4.3 million eligible people are missing the
>> deals."
>>

> To quote the BBC article " Citizens Advice said its survey of 6,000
> people suggested "
>
> Lies dam lies etc ,how much truth can one infer from such a small sample
> size.

That's actually a very large survey.

> Lazy journalists probably yes.

Depending on how the numbers are scaled up it can be very accurate. Given
that broadband is now effectively an essential utility those numbers seem
high, but still worrying.

> I'm sure that if the industry had lost a million customers they would be
> shouting from the rooftops about.

Why would they? It could cause more people to leave or highlight the
expense of broadband.

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u4a50f$11j9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5144&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5144

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 10:47:43 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sat, 20 May 2023 09:47 UTC

Chris wrote:

[snip]

>> To quote the BBC article " Citizens Advice said its survey of 6,000
>> people suggested "
>>
>> Lies dam lies etc ,how much truth can one infer from such a small sample
>> size.
>
> That's actually a very large survey.

It's more to do with how representative those sampled are of the
population as a whole.

--
Graham J

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<u4augj$14e8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5150&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5150

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 17:03:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lPOOwN8jgPbuyd4Gbzl0kkGnIn4=
 by: Chris - Sat, 20 May 2023 17:03 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> To quote the BBC article " Citizens Advice said its survey of 6,000
>>> people suggested "
>>>
>>> Lies dam lies etc ,how much truth can one infer from such a small sample
>>> size.
>>
>> That's actually a very large survey.
>
> It's more to do with how representative those sampled are of the
> population as a whole.

As I said in the bit you snipped.

Re: One million cancel broadband as living costs rise

<a665f22e-71bb-40cf-ac67-755ccac6dbc6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5152&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5152

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:38 UTC

On Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 10:50:25 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >> To quote the BBC article " Citizens Advice said its survey of 6,000
> >> people suggested "
> >>
> >> Lies dam lies etc ,how much truth can one infer from such a small sample
> >> size.
> >
> > That's actually a very large survey.
> It's more to do with how representative those sampled are of the
> population as a whole.

Indeed, which is why opinion research companies go to great pains to ensure that the sample is.