The person who marries for money usually earns every penny of it.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Undelivered text messages

SubjectAuthor
* Undelivered text messagesScott
`* Undelivered text messagesDavid Woolley
 `* Undelivered text messagesScott
  `* Undelivered text messagesMark Carver
   `* Undelivered text messagesNick Finnigan
    `* Undelivered text messagesScott
     `* Undelivered text messagesMark Carver
      `- Undelivered text messagesScott

1
Undelivered text messages

<s9hl4idlkg8svvk39idpni5ps3spvf4ilk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5190&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5190

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Undelivered text messages
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 20:00:12 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:00 UTC

I have borrowed a mobile phone after eight days without. I expected
to receive all my undelivered SMS messages, but none arrived. As far
as I can see, they are deleted after a period of time if they cannot
be delivered. Is this correct, or is there a way to recover them?

Re: Undelivered text messages

<u2f2gd$24il5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5191&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5191

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Undelivered text messages
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:03:25 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 00:03 UTC

On 27/04/2023 20:00, Scott wrote:
> I have borrowed a mobile phone after eight days without. I expected
> to receive all my undelivered SMS messages, but none arrived. As far
> as I can see, they are deleted after a period of time if they cannot
> be delivered. Is this correct, or is there a way to recover them?

I believe it is customisable when you send the SMS, probably with a
maximum of 72 hours. The most popular default seems to be 48 hours. I
suspect networks can set their own upper limits.

On further research it can be set up to 63 weeks, or you can specify an
absolute time. One suspects that few networks will honour 63 weeks. See
section 9.2.3.12 of
<https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gts/03/0340/05.03.00_60/gsmts_0340v050300p.pdf>.

I think I once had a phone that could set this.

Re: Undelivered text messages

<4l0n4it8cnrl56lj2efc41kto0rjedtutg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5192&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5192

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 09:26:29 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:26 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:03:25 +0100, David Woolley
<david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:

>On 27/04/2023 20:00, Scott wrote:
>> I have borrowed a mobile phone after eight days without. I expected
>> to receive all my undelivered SMS messages, but none arrived. As far
>> as I can see, they are deleted after a period of time if they cannot
>> be delivered. Is this correct, or is there a way to recover them?
>
>I believe it is customisable when you send the SMS, probably with a
>maximum of 72 hours. The most popular default seems to be 48 hours. I
>suspect networks can set their own upper limits.
>
>On further research it can be set up to 63 weeks, or you can specify an
>absolute time. One suspects that few networks will honour 63 weeks. See
>section 9.2.3.12 of
><https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gts/03/0340/05.03.00_60/gsmts_0340v050300p.pdf>.
>
>I think I once had a phone that could set this.

Thanks, but I am asking about incoming messages. Obviously, there are
no sent messages as I did not have a phone.

Do you think there is a way to download some or all of the text
messages I missed during the time I had no phone?

Re: Undelivered text messages

<kb1esrFtb9lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5193&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5193

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 09:36:43 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:36 UTC

On 28/04/2023 09:26, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:03:25 +0100, David Woolley
> <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 27/04/2023 20:00, Scott wrote:
>>> I have borrowed a mobile phone after eight days without. I expected
>>> to receive all my undelivered SMS messages, but none arrived. As far
>>> as I can see, they are deleted after a period of time if they cannot
>>> be delivered. Is this correct, or is there a way to recover them?
>> I believe it is customisable when you send the SMS, probably with a
>> maximum of 72 hours. The most popular default seems to be 48 hours. I
>> suspect networks can set their own upper limits.
>>
>> On further research it can be set up to 63 weeks, or you can specify an
>> absolute time. One suspects that few networks will honour 63 weeks. See
>> section 9.2.3.12 of
>> <https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gts/03/0340/05.03.00_60/gsmts_0340v050300p.pdf>.
>>
>> I think I once had a phone that could set this.
> Thanks, but I am asking about incoming messages. Obviously, there are
> no sent messages as I did not have a phone.
>
> Do you think there is a way to download some or all of the text
> messages I missed during the time I had no phone?
No, they will have been deleted from sending networks' SMS servers after
72 hours. Otherwise the networks will end up with their servers clogged
up with un delivered messages

Re: Undelivered text messages

<u2g3nh$2csu1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5194&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5194

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:30:25 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 09:30 UTC

On 28/04/2023 09:36, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 28/04/2023 09:26, Scott wrote:
>>
>> Do you think there is a way to download some or all of the text
>> messages I missed during the time I had no phone?
> No, they will have been deleted from sending networks' SMS servers after 72
> hours. Otherwise the networks will end up with their servers clogged up
> with un delivered messages

The Data Retention Regulations seem to require them to keep information
for 12 months anyway.

Re: Undelivered text messages

<8d7n4it1mbp2lpk29glncer8aj9mt4jso0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5195&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5195

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:19:55 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:19 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:30:25 +0100, Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 28/04/2023 09:36, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 28/04/2023 09:26, Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you think there is a way to download some or all of the text
>>> messages I missed during the time I had no phone?
>> No, they will have been deleted from sending networks' SMS servers after 72
>> hours. Otherwise the networks will end up with their servers clogged up
>> with un delivered messages
>
> The Data Retention Regulations seem to require them to keep information
>for 12 months anyway.

Could this be solely to comply with court orders though?

Re: Undelivered text messages

<kb1m7uF90rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5196&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5196

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:42:06 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:42 UTC

On 28/04/2023 11:19, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:30:25 +0100, Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk>
> wrote:

>>> No, they will have been deleted from sending networks' SMS servers after 72
>>> hours. Otherwise the networks will end up with their servers clogged up
>>> with un delivered messages
>> The Data Retention Regulations seem to require them to keep information
>> for 12 months anyway.
> Could this be solely to comply with court orders though?
Your messages are effectively toast, unless you've got lots of time on
your hands to try and retrieve them

Re: Undelivered text messages

<l8an4ipc1htb03i82cppphqm8r8j1pjho2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5197&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5197

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 12:10:43 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:10 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:42:06 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 28/04/2023 11:19, Scott wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:30:25 +0100, Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> The Data Retention Regulations seem to require them to keep information
>>> for 12 months anyway.
>> Could this be solely to comply with court orders though?
>Your messages are effectively toast, unless you've got lots of time on
>your hands to try and retrieve them

Thanks - effectively my conclusion also.

<rant_mode> I am asking myself if Google/Pixel offers the worst
customer service experience I have ever encountered in my entire life.
/<rant_mode>