From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Blocking incoming calls?
Date: 26 Sep 2023 12:00:13 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:00 UTC

Following on from my thread about SPAM calls, I tried to block incoming
calls to avoid any further nuisance.

I looked it up on t'Internet and found "Do Not Disturb" so I enabled that.
However at some point in the day the icon disappears, and I get missed
call notifications and an answerphone notification.
Same style random UK mobile numbers which haven't repeated so far.

I looked further, and there is a "Block Incoming Calls" feature on my
Samsung Tablet.
I have now enabled this and will see if this does the job.

However I am not sure why the "Do Not Disturb" is being cleared.
It seems to be around the same time frame as the missed calls.
Am I misunderstanding how this feature should work?

That is, does it just stop the phone from ringing (which doesn't happen
because sound is muted anyway) and allow incoming calls to the answerphone?

Perhaps it is more aimed at filtering incoming calls so only a list of
contacts can call you when you are busy (e.g.working)?

It still doesn't explain why the feature clears without me telling it to.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Blocking incoming calls?

<uf149h$32bmr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5308&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5308

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Blocking incoming calls?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:39:30 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:39 UTC

On 26 Sep 2023 12:00:13 GMT
David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Following on from my thread about SPAM calls, I tried to block
> incoming calls to avoid any further nuisance.
>
> I looked it up on t'Internet and found "Do Not Disturb" so I enabled
> that. However at some point in the day the icon disappears, and I get
> missed call notifications and an answerphone notification.
> Same style random UK mobile numbers which haven't repeated so far.
>
> I looked further, and there is a "Block Incoming Calls" feature on my
> Samsung Tablet.
> I have now enabled this and will see if this does the job.
>
> However I am not sure why the "Do Not Disturb" is being cleared.
> It seems to be around the same time frame as the missed calls.
> Am I misunderstanding how this feature should work?
>
> That is, does it just stop the phone from ringing (which doesn't
> happen because sound is muted anyway) and allow incoming calls to the
> answerphone?
>
> Perhaps it is more aimed at filtering incoming calls so only a list
> of contacts can call you when you are busy (e.g.working)?
>
> It still doesn't explain why the feature clears without me telling it
> to.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

I would think that a "Do Not Disturb" meant that it was valid for one
night, and would need to be set up again for the following night.

My Panasonic sets have a specific "Caller Barred" function, configured
from the Calls Received list, the same as adding a number to my Caller
List.

--
Davey.

Re: Blocking incoming calls?

<kntkh5Fn8q5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5319&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5319

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 1 Oct 2023 16:19:49 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:19 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:00:13 +0000, David wrote:

> Following on from my thread about SPAM calls, I tried to block incoming
> calls to avoid any further nuisance.
>
> I looked it up on t'Internet and found "Do Not Disturb" so I enabled
> that. However at some point in the day the icon disappears, and I get
> missed call notifications and an answerphone notification.
> Same style random UK mobile numbers which haven't repeated so far.
>
> I looked further, and there is a "Block Incoming Calls" feature on my
> Samsung Tablet.
> I have now enabled this and will see if this does the job.
>
> However I am not sure why the "Do Not Disturb" is being cleared.
> It seems to be around the same time frame as the missed calls.
> Am I misunderstanding how this feature should work?
>
> That is, does it just stop the phone from ringing (which doesn't happen
> because sound is muted anyway) and allow incoming calls to the
> answerphone?
>
> Perhaps it is more aimed at filtering incoming calls so only a list of
> contacts can call you when you are busy (e.g.working)?
>
> It still doesn't explain why the feature clears without me telling it
> to.

Progress so far:
anything I do to prevent the phone ringing just diverts the call to the
answerphone service.
Apparently the only permanent way to stop this nuisance is to call the
network provider and ask them to disable the answerphone.

At least with the tablet in flight mode with the WiFi re-enabled I don't
get as many notifications.

Hanging fire for the moment as I will have to move off Plusnet soon, and
can change phone number at that point.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Blocking incoming calls?

<ufci6j$2flfe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5320&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5320

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:44:17 +0100
 by: Woody - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:44 UTC

On Sun 01/10/2023 17:19, David wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:00:13 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Following on from my thread about SPAM calls, I tried to block incoming
>> calls to avoid any further nuisance.
>>
>> I looked it up on t'Internet and found "Do Not Disturb" so I enabled
>> that. However at some point in the day the icon disappears, and I get
>> missed call notifications and an answerphone notification.
>> Same style random UK mobile numbers which haven't repeated so far.
>>
>> I looked further, and there is a "Block Incoming Calls" feature on my
>> Samsung Tablet.
>> I have now enabled this and will see if this does the job.
>>
>> However I am not sure why the "Do Not Disturb" is being cleared.
>> It seems to be around the same time frame as the missed calls.
>> Am I misunderstanding how this feature should work?
>>
>> That is, does it just stop the phone from ringing (which doesn't happen
>> because sound is muted anyway) and allow incoming calls to the
>> answerphone?
>>
>> Perhaps it is more aimed at filtering incoming calls so only a list of
>> contacts can call you when you are busy (e.g.working)?
>>
>> It still doesn't explain why the feature clears without me telling it
>> to.
>
> Progress so far:
> anything I do to prevent the phone ringing just diverts the call to the
> answerphone service.
> Apparently the only permanent way to stop this nuisance is to call the
> network provider and ask them to disable the answerphone.
>
> At least with the tablet in flight mode with the WiFi re-enabled I don't
> get as many notifications.
>
> Hanging fire for the moment as I will have to move off Plusnet soon, and
> can change phone number at that point.

It was unclear at the start whether you were talking landline phone or
mobile, but it would now seem to be the latter.

Doesn't your phone have a blacklist function? Most do - I think even
Apple! Put the number in the blacklist and all should be resolved. Some
(most?) phones will let you blacklist a partial number as well.

You can change your number at any time, just buy a new SIM on whichever
network you are intending to use when you leave PN - which would be VF,
O2, or 3. If you are out of contract have a look at GiffGaff (which runs
on O2.)

As for the voicemail, you should choose a SP that allows YOU to switch
it on and off yourself (I don't think EE let you do that do they?)

There is also another possibility: set the divert to voicemail time to a
very long (the longest?) time and with luck the caller will have given
up before it diverts. The code is:-
**61*+44{your voicemail number without the leading zero}**10*30#
which will set it to 30 seconds, the longest EE permit.
You should be able to find your voicemail number in your phone setup,
otherwise try your voicemail number (123?) in which case omit the +44.

You should be able to get the existing delay (default is usually 15
seconds) by dialling **61*11# (or should that be **61*10#?)

Re: Blocking incoming calls?

<knvtb8Fn8q5U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5321&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5321

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 2 Oct 2023 13:02:32 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:02 UTC

On Sun, 01 Oct 2023 20:44:17 +0100, Woody wrote:

> [...]
> O2, or 3. If you are out of contract have a look at GiffGaff (which runs
> on O2.)
>
> As for the voicemail, you should choose a SP that allows YOU to switch
> it on and off yourself (I don't think EE let you do that do they?)
>
> There is also another possibility: set the divert to voicemail time to a
> very long (the longest?) time and with luck the caller will have given
> up before it diverts. The code is:-
> **61*+44{your voicemail number without the leading zero}**10*30#
> which will set it to 30 seconds, the longest EE permit.
> You should be able to find your voicemail number in your phone setup,
> otherwise try your voicemail number (123?) in which case omit the +44.
>
> You should be able to get the existing delay (default is usually 15
> seconds) by dialling **61*11# (or should that be **61*10#?)

This is uk.telecom.mobile so I assumed everyone would assume mobile.

If you look at the SPAM thread referenced you will see that every number
(so far) has been different UK mobile number so black listing won't
prevent future calls.

Thanks for the interesting suggestion about answer phone delay time.
I think my blocking strategies probably send the call straight to answer
phone.

I would prefer to have no notification of missed calls (which I get when I
don't answer) and no answer phone messages.

I still have no idea why I am getting what appear to be automated calls in
an Asian language.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Blocking incoming calls?

<85wmvs3sdo.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5353&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5353

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:03:15 +0100
 by: Richmond - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:03 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> writes:

> Progress so far:
> anything I do to prevent the phone ringing just diverts the call to the
> answerphone service.
> Apparently the only permanent way to stop this nuisance is to call the
> network provider and ask them to disable the answerphone.
>
> At least with the tablet in flight mode with the WiFi re-enabled I don't
> get as many notifications.
>
> Hanging fire for the moment as I will have to move off Plusnet soon, and
> can change phone number at that point.

I have had similar problems. The voicemail gets Chinese Spam on it, and
I have to pay to listen and delete it. So I switched off voicemail and
switched on call alert instead which sends a text when calls are
missed. However the phone doesn't ring for as long and I don't know how
to change that. I had it set to 30 seconds before voicemail cut in.

I think there is an option to schedule Do Not Disturb for certain times
of day.

I tried the setting which only allows calls from recognised numbers in
Android, but it still allowed calls from Chinese. So maybe they phoned
twice, so now I have disabled the option which allows calls if they
phone twice in close succession. I'll see how that goes.

Having so many options in Android is a double edged sword.