I know th'MAMBO!! I have a TWO-TONE CHEMISTRY SET!!

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / RCS Problems

SubjectAuthor
* RCS ProblemsRichmond
+* RCS ProblemsAndy Burns
|`* RCS ProblemsAbandoned Trolley
| `- RCS ProblemsAndy Burns
+* RCS ProblemsAndy Burns
|+- RCS ProblemsRichmond
|`- RCS ProblemsRichmond
+* RCS ProblemsClive Page
|`- RCS ProblemsRichmond
`* RCS ProblemsWoody
 +- RCS ProblemsAndy Burns
 `* RCS ProblemsRichmond
  `* RCS ProblemsNick Finnigan
   `* RCS ProblemsAndy Burns
    `- RCS Problemsnotya...@gmail.com

1
RCS Problems

<ujslsd$1v0pi$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5564&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5564

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: RCS Problems
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:30:21 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:30 UTC

I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was attempting
to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many attempts, try
tomorrow. I noticed at one point there was a message from some kind of
instant messaging service I think, something beginning with J? Jibe? or
maybe
XMPP. But it vanished.

I did not follow the correct procedure which was to disable RCS before
meddling with the SIMs, so I tried afterwards to rectify the situation
by switching the RCS off, switching the phone off, switching it on with
no SIMS, switching it off, then switching it on with SIMS, then
switching on RCS, but no success.

Perhaps there is a better app for RCS than Google Messages or Samsung
Messages? I don't think RCS is ready for prime time.

Why does it need to verify the phone number when it is stored on the SIM
card?

Re: RCS Problems

<kse4s3Feud0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5565&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5565

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: RCS Problems
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:41:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:41 UTC

Richmond wrote:

> I noticed at one point there was a message from some kind of
> instant messaging service I think, something beginning with J? Jibe?

Jibe is the RCS company now owned by Google

<https://jibe.google.com>

> I did not follow the correct procedure which was to disable RCS before
> meddling with the SIMs, so I tried afterwards to rectify the situation
> by switching the RCS off, switching the phone off, switching it on with
> no SIMS, switching it off, then switching it on with SIMS, then
> switching on RCS, but no success.
>
> Perhaps there is a better app for RCS than Google Messages or Samsung
> Messages?

It's a bit of a short list, I've only used the first one ...

1. Google Messages <com.google.android.apps.messaging>
2. Samsung Messages <com.samsung.android.messaging>
3. Smart Messages <com.messages.chat>
4. Beeper <com.beeper.chat>₂
5. Mei <com.mei>

> I don't think RCS is ready for prime time.

Works here but I've not changed SIMs or numbers since using it, only
time I had an issue was during RCS migration from O₂ to Google.

> Why does it need to verify the phone number when it is stored on the SIM
> card?

Not all SIMs have the phone number stored on them, particularly if
you've ported numbers, you end-up with an unused temporary phone number
on the SIM.

Re: RCS Problems

<kse65gFdsgrU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5566&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5566

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:03:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:03 UTC

Richmond wrote:

> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was attempting
> to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many attempts, try
> tomorrow.

I don't think Google supports multiple SIMs, this from the help page
reached from the Messages app ...

"RCS chats are available for your default or preferred call
SIM at this time and my be available for other SIMs later"

Re: RCS Problems

<83plzy6n85.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5567&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5567

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:17:46 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:17 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
>> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
>> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was attempting
>> to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many attempts, try
>> tomorrow.
>
> I don't think Google supports multiple SIMs, this from the help page reached
> from the Messages app ...
>
> "RCS chats are available for your default or preferred call
> SIM at this time and my be available for other SIMs later"

How strange. I would have thought it was no different from having two
phones.

Re: RCS Problems

<ujstd8$2qknl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5568&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5568

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 13:38:49 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 13:38 UTC

>> Why does it need to verify the phone number when it is stored on the SIM
>> card?
>
> Not all SIMs have the phone number stored on them, particularly if
> you've ported numbers, you end-up with an unused temporary phone number
> on the SIM.

I was under the impression that the IMSI number was stored on the SIM,
but not the phone number

Re: RCS Problems

<ksejhgFdsgrU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5569&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5569

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 15:52:13 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 15:52 UTC

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

> I was under the impression that the IMSI number was stored on the SIM,
> but not the phone number

The IMSI has to be stored, the phone number not necessarily, I think
iPhones allow editing the number, but I've never managed to do that even
with rooted android devices.

For most of the time I've owned android phones, under
Settings/AboutPhone/SimStatus/PhoneNumber it's shown "unknown"

[OK, I dare say that hasn't always existed, or been in the same place
since I started with android 2.1]

But I notice now that my phone *does* know its number now, I presume
this must have been "reset" when my SIM got re-provisioned from Virgin
to O₂ several months ago (VoWiFi started working at that time).

Re: RCS Problems

<kseqkpFfqumU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5570&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5570

From: usenet@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:53:29 +0000
 by: Clive Page - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:53 UTC

On 25/11/2023 11:30, Richmond wrote:
> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was attempting
> to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many attempts, try
> tomorrow. I noticed at one point there was a message from some kind of
> instant messaging service I think, something beginning with J? Jibe? or maybe
> XMPP. But it vanished.
>
> I did not follow the correct procedure which was to disable RCS before
> meddling with the SIMs, so I tried afterwards to rectify the situation
> by switching the RCS off, switching the phone off, switching it on with
> no SIMS, switching it off, then switching it on with SIMS, then
> switching on RCS, but no success.
>
> Perhaps there is a better app for RCS than Google Messages or Samsung
> Messages? I don't think RCS is ready for prime time.
>
> Why does it need to verify the phone number when it is stored on the SIM
> card?

I also had a problem with RCS. When abroad I received a text message from a UK number which I needed to reply to urgently, but nothing I tried would work including replacing the initial 0 with +44 and similar. Later I discovered out that it was trying to reply using RCS, which I had not heard of before. I have now disabled my phone (Android) from using RCS completely, at least as far as I know. So now replying to SMS messages does seem to work fine.

Apparently some phones set RCS messaging as the default. I still have no idea what it does, only that Messrs Google are the cause of me wasting a great deal of my time. If you have a recent Android phone I'd suggest you dig down into the menus to disable RCS as well.

--
Clive Page

Re: RCS Problems

<ujtddf$2suot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5571&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5571

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 18:11:57 +0000
 by: Woody - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 18:11 UTC

On Sat 25/11/2023 11:30, Richmond wrote:
> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was attempting
> to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many attempts, try
> tomorrow. I noticed at one point there was a message from some kind of
> instant messaging service I think, something beginning with J? Jibe? or
> maybe
> XMPP. But it vanished.
>
> I did not follow the correct procedure which was to disable RCS before
> meddling with the SIMs, so I tried afterwards to rectify the situation
> by switching the RCS off, switching the phone off, switching it on with
> no SIMS, switching it off, then switching it on with SIMS, then
> switching on RCS, but no success.
>
> Perhaps there is a better app for RCS than Google Messages or Samsung
> Messages? I don't think RCS is ready for prime time.
>
> Why does it need to verify the phone number when it is stored on the SIM
> card?

RCS?

Re: RCS Problems

<ksesplFeud0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5572&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5572

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 18:30:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 18:30 UTC

Woody wrote:

> RCS?

RCS is to Android what iMessage is to iPhones ... a more modern way of
sending text messages with photo attachments etc, without paying through
the nose like an MMS.

Being free within the UK isn't much of an advantage as most people get
"free" unlimited text message bundles now anyway, but also free to send
abroad.

From some point next year RCS and iMessage will be able to interoperate.

Re: RCS Problems

<83jzq5wpkn.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5573&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5573

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:22:32 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:22 UTC

Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> writes:

> On 25/11/2023 11:30, Richmond wrote:
>> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
>> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
>> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was
>> attempting to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many
>> attempts, try tomorrow. I noticed at one point there was a message
>> from some kind of instant messaging service I think, something
>> beginning with J? Jibe? or maybe XMPP. But it vanished. I did not
>> follow the correct procedure which was to disable RCS before meddling
>> with the SIMs, so I tried afterwards to rectify the situation by
>> switching the RCS off, switching the phone off, switching it on with
>> no SIMS, switching it off, then switching it on with SIMS, then
>> switching on RCS, but no success. Perhaps there is a better app for
>> RCS than Google Messages or Samsung Messages? I don't think RCS is
>> ready for prime time. Why does it need to verify the phone number
>> when it is stored on the SIM card?
>
> I also had a problem with RCS. When abroad I received a text message
> from a UK number which I needed to reply to urgently, but nothing I
> tried would work including replacing the initial 0 with +44 and
> similar. Later I discovered out that it was trying to reply using
> RCS, which I had not heard of before. I have now disabled my phone
> (Android) from using RCS completely, at least as far as I know. So
> now replying to SMS messages does seem to work fine.
>
> Apparently some phones set RCS messaging as the default. I still have
> no idea what it does, only that Messrs Google are the cause of me
> wasting a great deal of my time. If you have a recent Android phone
> I'd suggest you dig down into the menus to disable RCS as well.

There is an option somewhere to send by SMS if RCS fails. Also pressing
and holding the send button can yield some options depending on the app.

I like to have RCS because I normally have to pay for SMS so it means I
can reply free to people who badger me with SMS messages.

Re: RCS Problems

<83a5r1wpfe.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5574&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5574

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:25:41 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:25 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes:

> On Sat 25/11/2023 11:30, Richmond wrote:
>> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
>> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
>> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was attempting
>> to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many attempts, try
>> tomorrow. I noticed at one point there was a message from some kind of
>> instant messaging service I think, something beginning with J? Jibe? or
>> maybe
>> XMPP. But it vanished.
>> I did not follow the correct procedure which was to disable RCS before
>> meddling with the SIMs, so I tried afterwards to rectify the situation
>> by switching the RCS off, switching the phone off, switching it on with
>> no SIMS, switching it off, then switching it on with SIMS, then
>> switching on RCS, but no success.
>> Perhaps there is a better app for RCS than Google Messages or Samsung
>> Messages? I don't think RCS is ready for prime time.
>> Why does it need to verify the phone number when it is stored on the SIM
>> card?
>

> RCS?

"Rich Communication Services (RCS) is a communication protocol between
mobile telephone carriers and between phone and carrier, aiming at
replacing SMS messages with a text-message system that is richer,
provides phonebook polling (for service discovery), and can transmit
in-call multimedia. It is part of the broader IP Multimedia
Subsystem. Google has added support for end-to-end encryption for all
chats in their own RCS-based app, Messages.[1][2][3][4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

Re: RCS Problems

<ujtmt5$2ua2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5575&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5575

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:53:58 +0000
 by: Nick Finnigan - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:53 UTC

On 25/11/2023 20:25, Richmond wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat 25/11/2023 11:30, Richmond wrote:
>> RCS?
>
> "Rich Communication Services (RCS) is a communication protocol between
> mobile telephone carriers and between phone and carrier, aiming at
> replacing SMS messages with a text-message system that is richer,
> provides phonebook polling (for service discovery), and can transmit
> in-call multimedia. It is part of the broader IP Multimedia
> Subsystem. Google has added support for end-to-end encryption for all
> chats in their own RCS-based app, Messages.[1][2][3][4]"
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

yebbut 'phonebook polling' ?

Re: RCS Problems

<ksf5skFpdn7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5576&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5576

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 21:05:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 21:05 UTC

Nick Finnigan wrote:

>  yebbut 'phonebook polling' ?

I think it's how a phone discovers whether a given number is enabled for
RCS, or whether it has to fallback to SMS/MMS

Re: RCS Problems

<f2f95177-ba61-48c2-9727-ef6af5dfa994n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5577&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5577

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 03:58:08 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 11:58 UTC

On Saturday, 25 November 2023 at 21:05:27 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
> > yebbut 'phonebook polling' ?
>
> I think it's how a phone discovers whether a given number is enabled for
> RCS, or whether it has to fallback to SMS/MMS

Google defaulted this and made it hard to tell the real SMS app' from their RCS one.

Messages often did not arrive and annoyingly for more critical one confirmation of delivery did not work at all.

Re: RCS Problems

<83bkbg1nfd.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5578&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5578

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:36:54 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:36 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> I had RCS working on SIM 1, but decided to change SIM 2, which was
>> disconnected and not switched on. After I had done this, SIM 2 was
>> working with RCS but SIM 1 had stopped working and said it was
>> attempting to verify the phone number. Eventually it said too many
>> attempts, try tomorrow.
>
> I don't think Google supports multiple SIMs, this from the help page
> reached from the Messages app ...
>
> "RCS chats are available for your default or preferred call SIM
> at this time and my be available for other SIMs later"

OK so I didn't have a default call SIM, and my default mobile data SIM
was SIM 2, so it decided to default to SIM 2, which wasn't what I
wanted. When I changed the default call SIM to SIM 1 it set up RCS on
that SIM 1. This makes no sense to me, I would rather choose which SIM,
but at least it is doing what they say it is going to do.